Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer Transfer Window 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timberrrr

Reaction score
If we have no money now unless we sell how could we have had bids in for sanches and batman in January
Unless it was all bull**** again!!!

D

Deleted member drgr12429

It doesn't matter what year it was, if anything it proves how clueless he is. Things like that raise expectations unnecessarily. You can't say one thing, do another and take the fan base for idiots and raise ticket prices for a depreciating product on the pitch. The reality is there is no way we should be in a position of there being no funds for transfers outside of what we bring in, they have the funds alright. They don't want to invest it.
I think he can probably say what he likes. You ever said something that you thought after a couple of years was probably stretching it in hindsight?
Surely you didn't take that interview as gospel?
And how do you you know there isn't funds for transfers?

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Remember when Arsenal had ‘only’ £30m to spend one Sumer, then spunked over £100m?

Sometimes if other clubs think you have no money or need to sell to buy, it can help to keep prices lower than they could be.

I can’t think of a time when it’s useful to go out and make people think you’ve got a load of cash to spend!!

D

Deleted member drgr12429

Remember when Arsenal had ‘only’ £30m to spend one Sumer, then spunked over £100m?

Sometimes if other clubs think you have no money or need to sell to buy, it can help to keep prices lower than they could be.

I can’t think of a time when it’s useful to go out and make people think you’ve got a load of cash to spend!!
Just take away that sense from here! There's a meltdown to be had....

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

That doesn't add up with these comments, and many others Jeff has banged on about to the press. Jeff has always banged on about being one of the best clubs in the country bla bla bla. It doesn't match up with the current strategy. In itself, I don't mind being a top half/midtable club, but don't hype us up to be this incredibly ambitious side when we aren't and then, hike season ticket prices on the back of the bull**** they spin about ambition.

I genuinely don't remember them talking about being self sufficient when they first took over? All the talk was get promoted as soon as possible and kick on from there?
He did several interviews about an initial outlay with a long term view of becoming self sustainable

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Haven't they written 120 mill off or something the initial loan?
They did but think that just wipes out our debt to Fosun. Have to remember those numbers (plus the loss for 16/17 which was substantial) include the money Fosun loaned us, or the figures would be far worse

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ruben needs to move for his own career, as much as we love him and he loves us he should be playing in games like Saturdays CL final.

Trouble is,,there is no guarantee that the team he joins goes on the play in the final.What if they get knocked out in the early rounds.And then next year dow even qualify for the champions league.I'd be disappointed if he joined a British club.But would wish him all the very best of he went abroad somewhere.I'd bloody hate it if he went to say,Man yanited and he scored the winner against us in the FA Cup final. :mad:

Cornwall Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Just to put things into perspective
We are one of the most solvent clubs in the Premier League we are not broke
We have money to spend and offers have gone in for players
We will spend more as players leave to replace them
There is a plan
Quite at moment as transfer window not open and internationals being played over 2 weeks
It will pick up pace after the window opens and internationals finish

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Don't see them being able to sign Adama let alone Neves.

They continue to be reported considering a wide variety of loan / finance deals which supposedly will refinance the club. But, many of these reported deals come to nothing.

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It doesn't matter what year it was, if anything it proves how clueless he is. Things like that raise expectations unnecessarily. You can't say one thing, do another and take the fan base for idiots and raise ticket prices for a depreciating product on the pitch. The reality is there is no way we should be in a position of there being no funds for transfers outside of what we bring in, they have the funds alright. They don't want to invest it.

Have a scream until you're sick and throw the rest of your toys out, might make you feel better.

Wolferoo

Groupie
Reaction score
There is a plan
Quite at moment as transfer window not open and internationals being played over 2 weeks
Appreciate the insight as always CW!

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is a plan
Some structured deals then?

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
There is a plan

This is the thing for me...we're a solid business establishing ourselves in the top division. Some things Fosun have done haven't been right to my mind, but they have put the club on a sound footing. I'm happy to be patient for the right signings...provided they make them in the end.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is a plan

Sounds like sell to buy, with minimal net spend again. In our first two seasons back our net expenditure was £160m. The last two seasons was £12m. With UEFA's FFP 'punishment' covering both of those years. No excuse now not to spend and improve this squad, if we sell Neves and have another transfer window with minimal investment, we'll be fighting to stay up.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sounds like sell to buy, with minimal net spend again. In our first two seasons back our net expenditure was £160m. The last two seasons was £12m. With UEFA's FFP 'punishment' covering both of those years. No excuse now not to spend and improve this squad, if we sell Neves and have another transfer window with minimal investment, we'll be fighting to stay up.
Fits for self-sustaining which I don't ever think it stable in the long term but just means when we do go down then we won't be absolutely buggered.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Last edited:

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As an alternative perspective, I would say that Fosun may want to invest funds in the club/squad (they certainly have the money), but they are prevented from doing so by the Chinese Government, due to changes in Chinese strategic objectives on the world stage since 2016 when we were acquired (and specifically a deterioration in relations between Beijing and London in recent years).

I know quite a few people on here don't want to believe it, but Chinese businesses are not like Western businesses - they have to toe the line that their domestic Government sets. The Chinese Government, which is a ruthless and autocratic one-party set-up, has changed its tune since the time Fosun bought Wolves. Our club's development is collateral damage unfortunately.

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
A very well articulated point to counter, congratulations. Maybe you should look up the word 'forum' in a dictionary.

I thought it matched the intelligence of your OP to be fair. The entitlement that one comment, which he's since retracted on more than occasion, has created with our fans is crazy. He never meant we were going to spend like Man City, and we've no right to demand it like some spoiled toddler.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He’s about 50, he’s ****e, he makes awful videos when he should be concentrating on being a better goalkeeper, and he’s a ****.

Zero redeeming features.
Your first paragraph is spot on :relaxed:
…but he is meant to be quite warm and fuzzy doing **** loads for charities and vulnerable communities.
Doesn’t stop him being a **** keeper though but respect where it’s earned.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Published accounts, and Deloitte’s analysis begs to differ.
Published accounts show an asset heavy business, not one with large cash reserves and viable income to be self-sustainable at this moment in time unless assets are sold or further loans are taken out.

To edit - hence why any deals I asked will be structured to reflect our position. We don't have nearly enough income to buy without spreading the costs over an extended period to time or selling players at a loss for quick cash, or ones where we can offset the future cash with a bank to receive slightly less funds now, which I understood we did with Jota's funds?

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Published accounts show an asset heavy business, not one with large cash reserves and viable income to be self-sustainable at this moment in time unless assets are sold or further loans are taken out.

You are talking rubbish with respect. You could make your argument about many companies with very high valuations, the ability to spend large sums, and zero chance of going bankrupt. Excessive cash reserves shows a business that doesn’t know what to do with its money, and hence one which investors should steer clear from if they wish to generate a healthy return.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
See my prior reply. Cash reserves do not equal ability to spend.
Who said cash reserves, I said cash flow, the available money on hand to spend here and now. The ability to spend would then be based on structured deals, hence why said, but we haven't got the ability to say, let's pay £5million up front without having to apply for some form of external funding or a sale of an another asset to fund the payment, hence, Wolves are likely to be in a position where they will have to sell to buy.

As for the point on excessive cash reserves is highly business dependent, you wouldn't want a volatile company to have very little in the bank account despite posting a profit?

Not saying Wolves are the above, but what we are is a company where the owners have decided to no longer invest in the company and have to rely on the own cash we generate, hence, cash flow. The same cash that will pay wages, travel, electricity, bills and so forth.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
See my prior reply. Cash reserves do not equal ability to spend. And yes, I have a degree in economics and 30 years in commercial business.
And I've got years in Audit so I'm guessing we are seeing this from two different perspectives.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is a plan
Thanks CW

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As an alternative perspective, I would say that Fosun may want to invest funds in the club/squad (they certainly have the money), but they are prevented from doing so by the Chinese Government, due to changes in Chinese strategic objectives on the world stage since 2016 when we were acquired (and specifically a deterioration in relations between Beijing and London in recent years).

I know quite a few people on here don't want to believe it, but Chinese businesses are not like Western businesses - they have to toe the line that their domestic Government sets. The Chinese Government, which is a ruthless and autocratic one-party set-up, has changed its tune since the time Fosun bought Wolves. Our club's development is collateral damage unfortunately.

certainly geopolitics have changed since fosun bought us, but it's not just this - it's being prudent and waiting to see full impact of covid, and wanting value more than ever before, in a time when football threatens to go completely bonkers (see haaland wages). there are still good deals to be made using connections - hence the gestifute-fosun deal which preceded them buying us

add in FFP and interest rates, and i think it's been more a case of them lying low and waiting for market conditions to improve. who knows, post brexit trading may improve between uk and china under WTO terms. ukraine-russia hasn't helped but bloodyhell our gov needs some wins and wind could easily change again, just has it has over last couple of years. you're right about chinese gov, but they also have a massive increasing middle class they need to service, so fosun are probably just focused on staying on right side of the gov

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who said cash reserves, I said cash flow, the available money on hand to spend here and now. The ability to spend would then be based on structured deals, hence why said, but we haven't got the ability to say, let's pay £5million up front without having to apply for some form of external funding or a sale of an another asset to fund the payment, hence, Wolves are likely to be in a position where they will have to sell to buy.

As for the point on excessive cash reserves is highly business dependent, you wouldn't want a volatile company to have very little in the bank account despite posting a profit?

Not saying Wolves are the above, but what we are is a company where the owners have decided to no longer invest in the company and have to rely on the own cash we generate, hence, cash flow. The same cash that will pay wages, travel, electricity, bills and so forth.

But a company which is generating relatively healthy profits relative to its revenue and cashflow. In fact compared to startup internet businesses, often valued at several multiples of a club like Wolves, we have pretty good cashflow relative to our market valuation so I’m not sure why you are focusing on that?

The volatility in our business is linked almost entirely to our ability to survive in the Premier League, and each year we finish comfortably in the league, reduces that risk premium for any borrowing the club may wish to make. PL survival aside, our cashflow is very stable relative to most businesses since it’s largely underpinned by multi year broadcasting deals which are negotiated not by Wolves, but by an experienced consortium of 20 clubs with a proven track record of growing revenue.

Outside of the PL it’s true to say that football clubs make a very poor investment, typically requiring regular injections of capital to sustain operations. The PL is different. Such are the tv related revenues in recent years, it is entirely possible for clubs to self finance their operations including borrowing to build bigger and better facilities. That’s why there was a bidding war to purchase Chelsea from RA with bids far exceeding the assets being acquired.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

…pulling chicks in Vegas?

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

You are talking rubbish with respect. You could make your argument about many companies with very high valuations, the ability to spend large sums, and zero chance of going bankrupt. Excessive cash reserves shows a business that doesn’t know what to do with its money, and hence one which investors should steer clear from if they wish to generate a healthy return.
Love the you are talking rubbish "with respect" bit.

Warrington_Wolf

Reaction score
Regardless of how well executed the sustainable plan is over the coming years, we will not find ourselves in a better position for a top 6 finish than we did this January.

A decent window would have given us a fantastic opportunity. Instead we weakened the squad and the season petered out.

That for me was more concerning than the last couple of summers of shambolic transfer activity. The failure of FOSUN to capitalise on the situation in January looked naive at the time and even more so now when it looks like we will lose Neves. Spoke a lot about their ambition in my view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom