Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer Transfer Window 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m probably reading into it but there’s a couple of bits in Bruno’s latest interview in the E&S that has another hint at blaming the players. Not quite as blatant as before and I actually agree with what he says but there’s definitely an undertone.
I wouldn’t say he’s blaming the players, more so he’s challenging them to be better which I have no issue as several played below par last season. Like all managers he’s demanding the best from them.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its an honest article by Bruno,a bit hard to read his broken English,but its understandable
Hes basically saying some players have reached the end of the road here,we thank them and move on
Other players may be top players, but sometimes you replace them with others that maybe give a better balance to the team as a whole
We are not in a position to hold on to players like the very top clubs can, and maybe having two slightly lesser lights is better than one shining star
Thats more or less how i read it anyhow

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn’t say he’s blaming the players, more so he’s challenging them to be better which I have no issue as several played below par last season. Like all managers he’s demanding the best from them.
Absolutely. But footballers are a precious breed at times!!

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd take him to sit on the bench and let the young keepers get a loan deal.

I actually like the bloke. Call him a **** when we play him but that's just how it goes.
I was joking , but we probably do need an experienced free transfer keeper, even if we bring the American kid in....Jose sa injury against Liverpool just shows have potentially dangerous it could be not having one..

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was joking , but we probably do need an experienced free transfer keeper, even if we bring the American kid in....Jose sa injury against Liverpool just shows have potentially dangerous it could be not having one..

If we get that American lad, no chance he stays here to sit on the bench. You'd need to go out on loan.

We basically need another Ruddy, locker room guy, experienced, doesn't have to be amazing just good enough to fill a gap if Sa goes down for a game or two.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its an honest article by Bruno,a bit hard to read his broken English,but its understandable
Hes basically saying some players have reached the end of the road here,we thank them and move on
Other players may be top players, but sometimes you replace them with others that maybe give a better balance to the team as a whole
We are not in a position to hold on to players like the very top clubs can, and maybe having two slightly lesser lights is better than one shining star
There is an interesting article in today’s Times about Man Utd’s problems in terms transfer market since Ferguson. Basically a complete shambles but a couple of takeaways that may be relevant for us. Firstly, they keep recruiting players that don’t fit the style that the manager wants, this is partly because they jump from manager to manager with different styles and so get lumbered with players that don’t suit the new style and that they can’t sell because of the wages they are on. They have also extended contracts to maintain asset value but have then struggled to off load them, for example Phil Jones. They have bought marquee signings that don’t fit, for example Ronaldo doesn’t fit because he can’t press and neither can several of the midfielders who don’t have the legs to go box to box. The rumour was that Martial was a favourite of the Glazers so they vetoed a sale. The Director of Football had a merchant banking background and was based in Mayfair, they appear to have addressed this now.

If we do keep Bruno, and for me it’s a big if, then we need to recruit players in the style that he wants. At least our Chair and Technical Director work out of Compton. In fact I think the reason Jeff moved here was because it was too difficult doing it from distance (admittedly Shanghai is slightly further from London). I do wonder whether last season was almost an extended review of the squad to see who could and couldn’t play in the style the club wanted to move to, accepting that the previous season wasn’t a good indicator. Is it worth extending Traore for a longer contract if clubs aren’t going to pay the increased price and we end up having a player with book value but not one that anyone wants to buy at that price. If we are going to move to a more pressing style then the likes of Moutinho isn’t going to fit long term, you could argue Neves won’t either, this and the nature of our Centre Backs means we struggle to change with the current squad.

Just as a final comparison Man Utd have spent £1.2bn since Ferguson left, most of that is net spend and they have achieved 1 FA Cup, 1 Europa League and 1 League Cup which considering their starting position is pitiful. We’ve got some way to go but considering how much we have already closed the gap I think our ROI has been better.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Like others are saying, our Mendes deals are so much better than non Uncle Jorge.
But with MGW I'd rather him in attacking midfield than an unproven Portuguese lad. With a season getting maybe double figures goals/assists he'd be worth 35m maybe, especially with the English player excess. Also, I don't believe the anti MGW rumours, other than him just being a normal 20 something kid, who's not been given a chance with his club.

D

Deleted member drgr12429

There is an interesting article in today’s Times about Man Utd’s problems in terms transfer market since Ferguson. Basically a complete shambles but a couple of takeaways that may be relevant for us. Firstly, they keep recruiting players that don’t fit the style that the manager wants, this is partly because they jump from manager to manager with different styles and so get lumbered with players that don’t suit the new style and that they can’t sell because of the wages they are on. They have also extended contracts to maintain asset value but have then struggled to off load them, for example Phil Jones. They have bought marquee signings that don’t fit, for example Ronaldo doesn’t fit because he can’t press and neither can several of the midfielders who don’t have the legs to go box to box. The rumour was that Martial was a favourite of the Glazers so they vetoed a sale. The Director of Football had a merchant banking background and was based in Mayfair, they appear to have addressed this now.

If we do keep Bruno, and for me it’s a big if, then we need to recruit players in the style that he wants. At least our Chair and Technical Director work out of Compton. In fact I think the reason Jeff moved here was because it was too difficult doing it from distance (admittedly Shanghai is slightly further from London). I do wonder whether last season was almost an extended review of the squad to see who could and couldn’t play in the style the club wanted to move to, accepting that the previous season wasn’t a good indicator. Is it worth extending Traore for a longer contract if clubs aren’t going to pay the increased price and we end up having a player with book value but not one that anyone wants to buy at that price. If we are going to move to a more pressing style then the likes of Moutinho isn’t going to fit long term, you could argue Neves won’t either, this and the nature of our Centre Backs means we struggle to change with the current squad.

Just as a final comparison Man Utd have spent £1.2bn since Ferguson left, most of that is net spend and they have achieved 1 FA Cup, 1 Europa League and 1 League Cup which considering their starting position is pitiful. We’ve got some way to go but considering how much we have already closed the gap I think our ROI has been better.
Good post this. Bruno has said all season that the profile of the players he has doesn't fit the style he wants to play. I guess that towards the end of the season he realised he needed to change some personnel rather than try to keep adapting what he has. What we are seeing now is the exodus of personnel he thinks he can't turn around (bar Neves).
We just have to hold our nerve and see what the squad looks like on the first pre season game and hope the club have got it right.

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just seen this morning Spanish & Portuguese press are reporting that Vitoria are in negotiations with Barcelona for a player from their B team, Lucas De Vega. 22 years old and looks to play the same position as André Almeida who we’ve been linked to from Vitoria in the last week.

Mendes hard at work?

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just seen this morning Spanish & Portuguese press are reporting that Vitoria are in negotiations with Barcelona for a player from their B team, Lucas De Vega. 22 years old and looks to play the same position as André Almeida who we’ve been linked to from Vitoria in the last week.

Mendes hard at work?

Good investigative journalism there Flaneur

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He’s about 50, he’s ****e, he makes awful videos when he should be concentrating on being a better goalkeeper, and he’s a ****.

Zero redeeming features.
And he also finished rock bottom of the save/post-shot XG table that Sa was top of by a mile. So no, not even as an ‘experienced old hand #2’ on the bench.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And he also finished rock bottom of the save/post-shot XG table that Sa was top of by a mile. So no, not even as an ‘experienced old hand #2’ on the bench.
I saw Sarkic play for the U23s a few weeks ago and was generally impressed with him. Did everything expected of him and while a little raw, he commanded his area. He was also highly thought of at Blues. Not sure we need to replace Ruddy as Sarkic could become back-up keeper in the short-term.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He’s about 50, he’s ****e, he makes awful videos when he should be concentrating on being a better goalkeeper, and he’s a ****.

Zero redeeming features.

And he blames the wind when he concedes a goal! :)

Other than all of that though, he’d be a decent option right?

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Bit worrying who he considers to have reached the end of the road though if the press are to be believed and he wanted Ruddy and Saiss to stay.

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I saw Sarkic play for the U23s a few weeks ago and was generally impressed with him. Did everything expected of him and while a little raw, he commanded his area. He was also highly thought of at Blues. Not sure we need to replace Ruddy as Sarkic could become back-up keeper in the short-term.
He qualifies as home grown too

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I like Sarkic but I'd rather see him get another loan then sit on the bench

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It depends on your point of view, Ruddy has been a good servant but really needed moving on last season in my opinion and Saiss by general consensus on here needed to be upgraded based on the second half of the seasons performances

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we get that American lad, no chance he stays here to sit on the bench. You'd need to go out on loan.

We basically need another Ruddy, locker room guy, experienced, doesn't have to be amazing just good enough to fill a gap if Sa goes down for a game or two.
I didn't think it was a bad idea either. I always assumed he was just a panto villain to us and there wasn't actually genuine hatred towards him?

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I didn't think it was a bad idea either. I always assumed he was just a panto villain to us and there wasn't actually genuine hatred towards him?
The 5-1 crap didn't exactly help....

• Haha
Reactions: Ned

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Agree on the rest of what you say, but he's clearly staying. He'd have gone by now already, so it's clear the club are (rightly IMO) giving him next season. Let the rebuild commence.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah, sadly if Lage was (rightfully) going then we would have had at least some word by now. Sigh.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good post this. Bruno has said all season that the profile of the players he has doesn't fit the style he wants to play. I guess that towards the end of the season he realised he needed to change some personnel rather than try to keep adapting what he has. What we are seeing now is the exodus of personnel he thinks he can't turn around (bar Neves).
We just have to hold our nerve and see what the squad looks like on the first pre season game and hope the club have got it right.

The first 3 games of the season is the way he wants to play.Everyone ( well most ) thought we were good,apart from NOT scoring.So Jeff and co should know what Bruno wants.No Faffing about,just gerrum in as soon as the window opens.I wow be holding me breath though. :rolleyes:

Irish_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Go for Benjamin Siegrist

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree on the rest of what you say, but he's clearly staying. He'd have gone by now already, so it's clear the club are (rightly IMO) giving him next season. Let the rebuild commence.
I have resigned myself to it. Don’t think it’s the right decision but hopefully I’ll be proved wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom