Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Joao Moutinho Surely Deserves a New 1 or 2 year Contract

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Just out of interest why do you have such a hard on for his wages? It’s all you bang on about, as if Jeff is borrowing the money from a loan shark just to pay him.
His transfer fee was 2 stellas and some crisps. His total cost of ownership is more than reasonable for what he gives and has given us. He’s been a bloody bargain in all honesty.

Why the constant tantrum about his wages?
Because we have a limit the club will spend, so if we give him loads it means we can't give as much to new signings. And you see players often like money rather than getting to try orange chips from Newbridge.

Hope that helps

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wages way too high, means he is a first team starter on that money. Massively limits us with the wage bill. Not really ***** about making him a respectful offer, he was outstanding when he came here for 18 months and had a terrible 6 moths and has not been too bad at times this season but he's been paid £5M a year since he arrived. I'd say that's more than enough respect, name him the right offer for Wolves

Wolverhampton Wanderers FC, not Joao Moutinho FC
We expect players to have some loyalty to us, yet its OK to be this disrespectful to a player that's one of the finest we've seen in a Wolves shirt?

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really don't think we should. If we are gonna go anywhere we need an upgrade in midfield.

Over 38 games we don't control enough games, and the games we do the tempo is too slow. We don't possess the creativity to be a top 6 side. And it stems from the middle of the park. If we have any serious ambitions for Europe or top 6, then we need an upgrade on him in this area.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Jf
He'd go back to Portugal or France. It's not the point, he's going to get a 2 year deal here, and **** off all the mixers who think for some reason a player of his experience is ****. Age has nothing to do with it. Ronaldo is 37, Zlatan is 40 odd! It's how you treat your body that counts.
It is the point though isn't it, if he was still a top performer then he'd be wanted by other 7-12 placed clubs in the Prem. But he wouldn't be, and you know that hence dodging the question

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

We expect players to have some loyalty to us, yet its OK to be this disrespectful to a player that's one of the finest we've seen in a Wolves shirt?
I don't ever expect a player to have a shred of loyalty to any team, I've been 100 % consistent on that.

It's a business, they aren't fans

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because we have a limit the club will spend, so if we give him loads it means we can't give as much to new signings. And you see players often like money rather than getting to try orange chips from Newbridge.

Hope that helps
If you think Joao Moutinho signed for **** all and probably cost us £25 mill over 4 years is holding us back… when we paid near £40 mill for Silva and … deep breath… £14 mill for Hwang I don’t know what to tell you.

‘Hope that helps’? Lol. Yeah big help, much appreciated.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

If you think Joao Moutinho signed for **** all and probably cost us £25 mill over 4 years is holding us back… when we paid near £40 mill for Silva and … deep breath… £14 mill for Hwang I don’t know what to tell you.

‘Hope that helps’? Lol. Yeah big help, much appreciated.
We are talking this season, are you OK? Feeling a bit faint? Really basic stuff this son. His wages being higher means lower chance of signing higher quality players.

Think it is like Year 4 level maths.

I'll try to break it down

If there are 100 jelly beans, and you give Peter 60 jelly beans then Karen can only have 40 jelly beans.

That help at all?

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't ever expect a player to have a shred of loyalty to any team, I've been 100 % consistent on that.
It's a business, they aren't fans
is that why Neves was crying his eyes out?

Businessmen yes - robots no.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Wages way too high, means he is a first team starter on that money. Massively limits us with the wage bill. Not really ***** about making him a respectful offer, he was outstanding when he came here for 18 months and had a terrible 6 moths and has not been too bad at times this season but he's been paid £5M a year since he arrived. I'd say that's more than enough respect, name him the right offer for Wolves

Wolverhampton Wanderers FC, not Joao Moutinho FC

But we’re going to lose Neves and quite possibly Dendoncker, which leaves us needing to bring in 3, possibly 4 midfielders in the Summer. Realistically, none of those coming in will have had prior Premier League experience. On top of that, it looks like we are losing a lot of leadership and experience from the Dressing Room.

My ideal scenario is that we end up with a more dynamic midfield three of say Palhinha, Nunes and MGW with Joao offering quality competition and experience from the bench. £5m for that (given how much the others would cost) seems relatively shrewd to me.

Of course, we could have just signed the obvious long-term Moutinho replacement at the end of last season…

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
We are talking this season, are you OK? Feeling a bit faint? Really basic stuff this son. His wages being higher means lower chance of signing higher quality players.

If there are 100 jelly beans, and you give Peter 60 jelly beans then Karen can only have 40 jelly beans.

That help at all?
Only got to level 3, need more clarity :(

D

Deleted member drgr12429

Jf

It is the point though isn't it, if he was still a top performer then he'd be wanted by other 7-12 placed clubs in the Prem. But he wouldn't be, and you know that hence dodging the question
i didn't dodge anything. He'll go back home if he leaves here. Why wouldn't you. It's warm and sunny. The point is as you are so eloquently missing is his experience that he can give to our younger players is more value than money alone. In any business you don't get rid of your most experienced guy before you have a younger one trained to replace him. Wolves want to bring younger players in, so he fits the model perfectly.
To be fair i'm not really bothered if you don't get it. The club does. It's all that matters. They won't be writing you a message to ask your opinion on it.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

That help at all?
‘Son’?

‘Jelly beans’?

Thanks for helping with year 4 level maths, very illuminating. Also thanks for completely missing the point of transfer fee plus wages is less than the transfer fee Silva alone, or Semedo, or not much more than Hwang.

But noooo it’s all dastardly Joao’s fault you’re right. We’ll never sign anyone with him on the books. Despite being nowhere near our biggest outlay and being a Portuguese legend and example to all our Portuguese youngsters, he brings nothing of value and we should totally get rid! Especially with Neves going! And Donk!

You sir are a genius.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

But we’re going to lose Neves and quite possibly Dendoncker, which leaves us needing to bring in 3, possibly 4 midfielders in the Summer. Realistically, none of those coming in will have had prior Premier League experience. On top of that, it looks like we are losing a lot of leadership and experience from the Dressing Room.

My ideal scenario is that we end up with a more dynamic midfield three of say Palhinha, Nunes and MGW with Joao offering quality competition and experience from the bench. £5m for that (given how much the others would cost) seems relatively shrewd to me.

Of course, we could have just signed the obvious long-term Moutinho replacement at the end of last season…
Nunes is going to City i think, but if we sign 2 CMs to start then that is fine. But you just know if Jeff is giving him a big contract it is to get 38 games out of him.

Anyone actually seriously disagree with that?

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

‘Son’?

‘Jelly beans’?

Thanks for helping with year 4 level maths, very illuminating. Also thanks for completely missing the point of transfer fee plus wages is less than the transfer fee Silva alone, or Semedo, or not much more than Hwang.

But noooo it’s all dastardly Joao’s fault you’re right. We’ll never sign anyone with him on the books. Despite being nowhere near our biggest outlay and being a Portuguese legend and example to all our Portuguese youngsters, he brings nothing of value and we should totally get rid! Especially with Neves going! And Donk!

You sir are a genius.
Wonder if you can get a season ticket to the next club he goes to. Seem like you're more of a fan of him than the club.

Footballers are going to come to us if the money is right for them and if Mendes shows them a pathway. Playing with Joao is no doubt a great boon, but it is well down the list of factors and everyone knows that.

The Portugal coaches barely picks Neves, and didn't call up Sa but now he is the next Klopp because he still picks Joao. Right

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wonder if you can get a season ticket to the next club he goes to. Seem like you're more of a fan of him than the club.

Footballers are going to come to us if the money is right for them and if Mendes shows them a pathway. Playing with Joao is no doubt a great boon, but it is well down the list of factors and everyone knows that.

The Portugal coaches barely picks Neves, and didn't call up Sa but now he is the next Klopp because he still picks Joao. Right
Quite the retort.

I think he’s been class for us on the pitch.

I’ve met him off the pitch with an unwell family member and he even more class completely unprompted and when he didn’t need to be.

So yes I like the guy. I didn’t think he’s cheap at half the price though. Much like Neves we’ll miss him when he’s gone and this ride won’t last forever.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

i didn't dodge anything. He'll go back home if he leaves here. Why wouldn't you. It's warm and sunny. The point is as you are so eloquently missing is his experience that he can give to our younger players is more value than money alone. In any business you don't get rid of your most experienced guy before you have a younger one trained to replace him. Wolves want to bring younger players in, so he fits the model perfectly.
To be fair i'm not really bothered if you don't get it. The club does. It's all that matters. They won't be writing you a message to ask your opinion on it.
Guessing you're deleting your account then, as your opinion doesn't matter either so why bother post on here? What an odd argument.

The experience and leadership point is a good one though, although tbh i am growing more and more concerned that the culture of the club isn't quite right (although I put that blame right to the top).

Whilst a gamble a big system shock might do us good.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Quite the retort.

I think he’s been class for us on the pitch.

I’ve met him off the pitch with an unwell family member and he even more class completely unprompted and when he didn’t need to be.

So yes I like the guy. I didn’t think he’s cheap at half the price though. Much like Neves we’ll miss him when he’s gone and this ride won’t last forever.
He's been a brilliant player and I have absolutely no doubts a total gentleman. A 1 year deal and he doesn't prevent us bringing in new CMs? Brilliant, but one of our highest earners and getting the new midfielders we desperately need?

Let me introduce you to Jeffrey Shi

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Come on Jeff & Fosun we don't want to lose another Portugal (144 capped) maestro let go out of our midfield squad.
Joao deserves a new 1 or 2 year contract after the last 4 years great service at Wolves. Even if not quite up to it on the pitch in a years time he is crucial for our Wolves team for our other young players in training and in the dressing room with all his experience in world class football. I would like to see him as a coach at WWFC eventually. Or will Fosun mess up Joao's future at Wolves with these on going contract talks?

So please don't take Moutinho away
I agree you sentiment, particularly if Neves goes. A one year contract, ideally on less money, would be an absolute no-brainer.

D

Deleted member drgr12429

Guessing you're deleting your account then, as your opinion doesn't matter either so why bother post on here? What an odd argument.

The experience and leadership point is a good one though, although tbh i am growing more and more concerned that the culture of the club isn't quite right (although I put that blame right to the top).

Whilst a gamble a big system shock might do us good.
No, i said the club won't be writing to you for your opinion. I didn't say anything about posting on here. Get it right Tonto.
They won't ask me either fyi.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m 100% behind a years extension but he can’t be on the same wages as he’s currently on, surely?!

Again, it seems pretty rubbish management all round not to foresee the situation that we seem to have sleepwalked into where there is a distinct possibility of us losing our only 2 good senior centre midfielders at the same time.

We have literally no cards to play here so if we are desperate to keep Mouts or Neves, with Neves pretty much gone, it means we’ve got to give Joao what he wants.

DasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can’t remember if I saw it here or on Twitter, but apparently they’re very settled here and the kids love it.

Wolves do seem to do a good job of this, it has to be said.

Age has nothing to do with it. Ronaldo is 37, Zlatan is 40 odd! It's how you treat your body that counts.

The way the top professionals take care of themselves these days and with all the sports science, nutrition, improvements in surgical techniques and so on, players can definitely go well into their late 30s. The main problem age causes is loss of pace.

OsloWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We cannot lose Neves, Donck AND Moutinho in the same window. Madness if we do. I hope they give him what he wants as he's still a very classy player. Also if that makes is impossible to pay wages to the incoming Hwangs Sellars has lined up... even better.

Last edited:

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brighton absolutely destroyed us in the midfield, no chance they do imo. Yeah could see Fulham, for sure and Saints possibly.

Doesn't that prove my point a bit? He isn't an elite performer anymore?
Didn't Joao Moutinho absolutely destroy Man Utd not so long ago. Still plenty of life and miles left in that midfield maestro for sure ;)

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All these accountants on here opining on his wages. Do people honestly think he can’t command a decent wage? Of course he can. With neves going we will be in serious trouble if we lose him too. He can still do it and we would miss him greatly. He is fit, hardly ever injured and just as good on the ball as ever. Why not give him two years? Its loads cheaper than gambling £15m on a bang average midfielder we dont know

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The point is as you are so eloquently missing is his experience that he can give to our younger players is more value than money alone. In any business you don't get rid of your most experienced guy before you have a younger one trained to replace him.
I don't agree. I think he's having the opposite effort on the young ones. Cundle played better against spurs(without moutinho) than paired with him against Newcastle. Vitinha barely got given a go.
I think the way he's played almost every other game the last 2 years has been unhealthy for the squad. I don't think we need him any more and it's time for a change.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really don't think we should. If we are gonna go anywhere we need an upgrade in midfield.

Over 38 games we don't control enough games, and the games we do the tempo is too slow. We don't possess the creativity to be a top 6 side. And it stems from the middle of the park. If we have any serious ambitions for Europe or top 6, then we need an upgrade on him in this area.
We are far more likely to drop back than progress. 9f we lose moutinho and neves that is almost a certainty. People seem to forget that this season is our 3rd best in 42 years. 42 years! What makes you think we will “go anywhere”? Where can we realistically go? Up 2-3 places?

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Didn't Joao Moutinho absolutely destroy Man Utd not so long ago. Still plenty of life and miles left in that midfield maestro for sure ;)
I mean he still has class and can perform at a high level and rarely has an absolute stinker but it is in games were we sit back and counter. We have always moved the ball slowly through the midfield, it isn't his game to be progressing the ball with splitting passes, he is decent at it but not elite. He works super hard and nicks a lot of ball with his smarts, but also gets dribbled past at a rate that is basically one of the highest in the league (which is understandable at his age).

I'd say he is a decent Prem CM at this point.

They had Matic and McTominy in the midfield that game btw. You like those 2?

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As it stands right now, with all of our players still here, we need another midfielder. With Neves likely to go, we will need two, there is also question marks over Donck’s future. Keeping Joao is extremely important, imo.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are far more likely to drop back than progress. 9f we lose moutinho and neves that is almost a certainty. People seem to forget that this season is our 3rd best in 42 years. 42 years! What makes you think we will “go anywhere”? Where can we realistically go? Up 2-3 places?
Then do everything you can to keep Neves. And let moutinho go.
Our owners are supposed to have ambitions of us breaking into Europe. We need a midfield that is capable of it. I don't think we have one right now.

D

Deleted member drgr12429

Then do everything you can to keep Neves. And let moutinho go.
Our owners are supposed to have ambitions of us breaking into Europe. We need a midfield that is capable of it. I don't think we have one right now.
You can offer Neves 250k per week and a 10 year contract. What they cannot offer him for sure is CL or Europa league football. How ever much they could promise they would go for it they couldn't guarantee it. How long does he wait?

Ewok vs Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We can't afford to be sentimental at 100k a week at his age and performance level
I also believe we can't afford to lose both Neves and Moutinho in the same window.
Has to be a 1 year deal

Back
Top Bottom