Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Bruno Lage

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Weren't we saying the same things last year though?

I'm not trying to be argumentative but I can't understand why you're suggesting sacking a manager when you say you think he knows what the problems are and that he has a plan to fix it.

Bruno essentially got three new players. Trincao, Hwang and Chiquinho. Chiquinho ended up as the direct replacement for Adama. Hwang started well, then got injured and hasn't been good since and Trincao offered glimpses but nothing really substantial.

Apart from that it's entirely Nuno's squad. It's definitely not Bruno's preferred squad architecture.
So we have a manager who hasn't got the personality or ability to get a squad to play the way he wants?

Again, no case to keep him, ideally he's already gone by the time Monday comes around.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
More like the players just couldn't play that way. You need to be super fit and fast. Maybe why players got hamstring problems this season too.
Why are people who use this argument forgetting the drubbing we gave Forest and a good performance against Watford?

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If the owner of a restaurant keeps employing unexperienced chefs, then, you can't blame the chefs for not serving up top quality food, blame the owners of the restaurant.
If the owner of the restaurant, then employs kitchen porters to take the place of pastry chefs, you will lose a lot of business, for trying to do things on the cheap.
Venga, Nuno and Bruno all follow a pattern of being implementers, taken what they are given and being thankful for coaching a Premier League club. None of them had CV's to take us to the top, and they would take the wages and the players that they were given.
I would still back Fosun, as they have given us top half of the PL. Fosun look at us, like they look at their managers, we were a championship club and would be grateful for being an established
PL club.
We got lucky with Nuno. I would love Fosun to push on, but I prefer being a top half PL team, than playing Oldham on a Tuesday night.

Last edited:

Manic88

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno had huge credit in the bank and we had the background of covid, was sacked on the basis of wanting more attractive football, ended up with worse football with Bruno.

Who said he was sacked for more attractive football? It’s a guess.

D

Deleted member drgr12429

Why are people who use this argument forgetting the drubbing we gave Forest and a good performance against Watford?
Because Forest were **** at the time, and Watford ditto. We've played it in spells, but to do it you need fast defenders and midfielders. We have Neto who still isn't fit, and Chiquinho who is probably the fastest player. Most of the squad are not fast, or fit enough to run like you need to in the style Lage wants to play. There is also no goal scorers.
It's like any job you 've been doing for years. You get into a comfort zone and it's really hard to get out of it. We have a team full of players who are in a comfort zone in a 3-5-2.
Lage wants to play a 4-3-3 like Liverpool, but without the players you get found out. Coady, Kilman, Boly ,Saiss, Moutinho and Neves are not fast, so they reverted to type. But it was always going to suffer when we got injuries with such a small squad.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Last few games? Read a third of the season....

That last third of the season came after January, when I think it was Suffolk Wolf who stated then that we'd needed to strengthen the squad and ended up weakening it, so judgement time would come in May.
It's not a huge mental leap to realise that the playing squad as well as the manager may have realised that they hadn't been supported ....whatever the worth of Traore as an impact player, since he's gone we've not even had the impact to cover up an average team that struggles in attack.

You end up in the position you deserve and with Leicester and Brighton having very winnable home games next week, we may finish 10th and lose a lot of money.
Ironically our drop off has confirmed West Ham in 7th and their season is over, so if Brighton beat them next week it will be worth millions in position money to overtake us and potentially rise 2 places. That's assuming Liverpool thump us out of sight.

Then I think the pressure will be firmly on Fosun to explain the reality of what happened in January, do they think they need to improve on player sourcing and transfer negotiations, and more importanly, what are their plans for this summer because we need major surgery.
I actually think the defence is well covered, but the midfield and attack units are basically in the bin from this moment forward.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tangent, but remember when anyone who said Batth, Bright, and so on wasn't good enough was attacked and slated? If you didn't think Bright was the next Messi, you were an awful negative person who wanted players to fail.

And yet look where all these players went.

Hell, there were still people claiming that Batth, a player whose severe limitations were obvious during promotion season was a decent PL defender as a backup! Now he's Sunderland in League One and can barely get a game.

Yes, because wasn't it all Dave Edwards fault back then? Before every match, the abuse on here if he was on the team sheet. There's always one chief scapegoat to blame for everything. Later in the season, it did become Danny Baath, oddly enough, because Dave Edwards had gone.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Weren't we saying the same things last year though?

I'm not trying to be argumentative but I can't understand why you're suggesting sacking a manager when you say you think he knows what the problems are and that he has a plan to fix it.

Bruno essentially got three new players. Trincao, Hwang and Chiquinho. Chiquinho ended up as the direct replacement for Adama. Hwang started well, then got injured and hasn't been good since and Trincao offered glimpses but nothing really substantial.

Apart from that it's entirely Nuno's squad. It's definitely not Bruno's preferred squad architecture.
I guess it's because I see there being a range of different skillsets required to be a football manager including playing the market, coaching, leadership, media handling, man management etc etc.

Bruno hasn't really had chance to play the market but that doesn't mean he is unable to know who would improve the group- I think he is easily intelligent enough to identify the issues and would back him to do so.

But he has failed on the coaching - many individuals have got worse on his watch- particularly over the last 15 games. The declines in Sa and Hwang from the first half of the season have been alarming and the same for other key men- Coady, Raul and Joao who are all performing far worse than they did up to January.

He has failed on the man management - calling out Hoever when it wasn't needed and calling out all the youngsters when plenty of the seasoned pros were underperforming.

He has failed on the media- claiming he was going to get x, y and z when he hadn't spoken to management, claiming certain games were fine when they were pants (Newcastle for instance).

He has failed on the tactics- playing Dendoncker as an attacking midfielder for large swathes of the season when it was clearly stifling us. Playing Nuno-ball when he should be implementing his own style. Rarely changing in-game decisively.

So yes, I would say that he likely knows what is needed, but no, he has already proven sufficiently poor in a variety of other areas to not be afforded that opportunity.

Hugh Jarse

Reaction score
This COVID affected us under Nuno is pretty puzzling as COVID affected every club.

Our first 3 games this season saw a fresh and dynamic style but without a point. I think Bruno looked at what he has and their abilities and attitudes and reverted back to type to get points on the board.

He has made mistakes but I'd sort of expect that first season. We need change, massively.

How much of this dip is due to Bruno/fallouts in the camp/players knowing they're on the way out is anybody's guess but it is alarming. It does feel at times that he's been polishing a turd.

I'd love to see Bruno build something special here but I'm concerned we'll end up with a side of the quality of Hwang.

Last edited:

Notsoslimshady

Groupie
Reaction score
Could be miles off, but do wonder whether it was his call to abandon the attacking philosophy of opening 3 games? Fearful of relegation, maybe the powers-that-be had a word.
Thing ithat gets ne about those 3 games is that we lost to a didgy oen against spurs, a goal that shouldn't have been against united, and a well tajen goal from Vardy. They were creating chances and were hardly leaking goals all over. Then it just seemed to get abandoned, never to be returned to.

I appreciate that we weren't scoring, but it was a big change and surely the results would have come. These players, and in the formation we kept using, were able to do it. So i don't understand why we never went back to the front foot playing

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
So we have a manager who hasn't got the personality or ability to get a squad to play the way he wants?

Again, no case to keep him, ideally he's already gone by the time Monday comes around.
Two sides to every coin of course but you could argue he realised that the players just didn't have the right attributes to successfully play the way he wants and took the pragmatic route to give himself the best chance of getting results.

I'm all for staying true to your principles but not to the point of committing professional suicide.

Manic88

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Dead weird how all Bruno has done is turn up and play Nuno’s players in Nuno’s formation getting the same performances from them with a slightly better league position….and he’s the root of all problems.

Maybe he is, who knows. But this group looks like getting two head coaches sacked…

Longford Wolf

Reaction score
Every team in this division is filled with internationals. It's not like that's anything special or instant success these days.

Do you think you can change a player into something they are not in a "full pre season and 4/5 days a week" ? Go back to when Nuno joined, he was given 3 players a level above the league. Players like Batth., Edwards, Bright and several others long forgotten were tried and moved on as not good enough. Replaced with Neves, Jota, Boly. Thats like being given Kante, Mane and Van Dijk at this level! Nuno was supported far beyond what Bruno (and Nuno himself the 2 seasons before) were. How long would it have taken to turn George Savile into Ruben Neves? Would a full pre-season be enough ?:) So how long will it take to turn Donk into Maddison? Coady into Tarkowski? It's never going to happen. If you want to go up a level, you have to get players a level higher in.

Whatever we've learnt about Bruno not being good enough, we've learnt that a lot of our squad can only play one way. And that's the way that fits the system we had for 4 years previous. Expecting this change while the core squad remains the same, worth a try, but clearly failed.

Attack is different - still not sure what's going on there. We never had much of an attacking plan, it was always down to stay organised and wait for the magic from an individual. And set pieces.

Just a bit of expectation management - no manager is going to be able to turn this squad into that possession based, exciting attacking team. Seem to remember in our first season back, they said we didn't win a single match where we dominated possession. The matches we won, were won by not having possession! When we beat Man City 3-2 in the 2nd season, that was a rare case of us winning a match where we dominated possession. But that was very much an exception.

This season has been a natural progression from last. There's no sudden cliff, we were this bad most of last season, too. If anything, Bruno steadied the decline , yet once again, a chance to push on and build was missed in the winter window.

If we change managers, I can only see significant improvement if it is part of a rejuvinated project, like when Nuno joined. That we get 3 or 4 top players in too, and the new manager builds something new around them. Just like 4 years ago.
I’m not asking him to turn Saville into Neves or Donk into Maddison , just wanted him to use the players differently.
Norwich aren’t a team full of internationals, yet we haven’t beaten them in 3 games. Although the way Lage set up against them you would of thought they ha.d
I also think that any manager worth his salt would be able to change a player over pre season and on the training pitch, after all they are professional footballers, they should be capable of adapting, they don’t have a day job and train on a Thursday night and then go to the pub.

Manic88

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Every team in this division is filled with internationals. It's not like that's anything special or instant success these days.

Do you think you can change a player into something they are not in a "full pre season and 4/5 days a week" ? Go back to when Nuno joined, he was given 3 players a level above the league. Players like Batth., Edwards, Bright and several others long forgotten were tried and moved on as not good enough. Replaced with Neves, Jota, Boly. Thats like being given Kante, Mane and Van Dijk at this level! Nuno was supported far beyond what Bruno (and Nuno himself the 2 seasons before) were. How long would it have taken to turn George Savile into Ruben Neves? Would a full pre-season be enough ?:) So how long will it take to turn Donk into Maddison? Coady into Tarkowski? It's never going to happen. If you want to go up a level, you have to get players a level higher in.

Whatever we've learnt about Bruno not being good enough, we've learnt that a lot of our squad can only play one way. And that's the way that fits the system we had for 4 years previous. Expecting this change while the core squad remains the same, worth a try, but clearly failed.

Attack is different - still not sure what's going on there. We never had much of an attacking plan, it was always down to stay organised and wait for the magic from an individual. And set pieces.

Just a bit of expectation management - no manager is going to be able to turn this squad into that possession based, exciting attacking team. Seem to remember in our first season back, they said we didn't win a single match where we dominated possession. The matches we won, were won by not having possession! When we beat Man City 3-2 in the 2nd season, that was a rare case of us winning a match where we dominated possession. But that was very much an exception.

This season has been a natural progression from last. There's no sudden cliff, we were this bad most of last season, too. If anything, Bruno steadied the decline , yet once again, a chance to push on and build was missed in the winter window.

If we change managers, I can only see significant improvement if it is part of a rejuvinated project, like when Nuno joined. That we get 3 or 4 top players in too, and the new manager builds something new around them. Just like 4 years ago.

Good post

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ironically our drop off has confirmed West Ham in 7th and their season is over, so if Brighton beat them next week it will be worth millions in position money to overtake us and potentially rise 2 places. That's assuming Liverpool thump us out of sight.

Sad that West Hams form has also dropped off. They have the same points as us in the last 10 games. 11 points. Also, same as Man Utd. So we have missed a real chance to overtake those two as they have faltered as badly as us.

Given all the noise on here, it's a bit of a shock when you see that both us, West Ham and Man U have 11 points from the last 10 games, . Our form is identical. We've all scored 13 goals, too. So if our last 10 match form is "relegation form", then we will be battling West Ham and Man U next season! Villa too, as they also have 11 points from the last 10. Villa have scored one less goal than "never scoring" Wolves, too. :)

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because Forest were **** at the time, and Watford ditto. We've played it in spells, but to do it you need fast defenders and midfielders. We have Neto who still isn't fit, and Chiquinho who is probably the fastest player. Most of the squad are not fast, or fit enough to run like you need to in the style Lage wants to play. There is also no goal scorers.
It's like any job you 've been doing for years. You get into a comfort zone and it's really hard to get out of it. We have a team full of players who are in a comfort zone in a 3-5-2.
Lage wants to play a 4-3-3 like Liverpool, but without the players you get found out. Coady, Kilman, Boly ,Saiss, Moutinho and Neves are not fast, so they reverted to type. But it was always going to suffer when we got injuries with such a small squad.
So again, Lage is unable to adapt and coach players to play his style, so he's just given up?

Crock of ****e as well, those first 3 games were just bad luck in terms of finishing but the actual performances were good and you could see the players enjoying it again, look at them now.

Lage wants a style akin to Liverpool whilst having nowhere near the budget or club reputation required?

Again, what in his inability to coach players in a style gives you any confidence he has this ability.

D

Deleted member drgr12429

Whatever you think about Bruno we are at a watershed moment for the club in the PL. Obviously there is nothing we can do as fans but watch.
But if the board don't get this summer right it could massively affect the direction of the club for the next season, or maybe 2.
They HAVE to get it right no if's or buts. Whether that is with Bruno is up for debate, but whoever they choose they better not leave it too long.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Two sides to every coin of course but you could argue he realised that the players just didn't have the right attributes to successfully play the way he wants and took the pragmatic route to give himself the best chance of getting results.

I'm all for staying true to your principles but not to the point of committing professional suicide.
Then why have we not used a game like today to give the players a run in 'his system' to see which going forward do have that ability, my thoughts? He hasn't got the personality, ability and/or respect to implement what he 'desires' and has little idea what to do outside of that.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sad that West Hams form has also dropped off. They have the same points as us in the last 10 games. 11 points. Also, same as Man Utd. So we have missed a real chance to overtake those two as they have faltered as badly as us.

Given all the noise on here, it's a bit of a shock when you see that both us, West Ham and Man U have 11 points from the last 10 games, . Our form is identical. We've all scored 13 goals, too. So if our last 10 match form is "relegation form", then we will be battling West Ham and Man U next season! Villa too, as they also have 11 points from the last 10. Villa have scored one less goal than "never scoring" Wolves, too. :)
I know you like to be contrary as the name indicates but I am sure you wouldn't be as naive to suggest the above without looking at injuries/europe for West Ham and United having a manager who is the equal to the walking dead, actually quite a lot like Bruno.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hell, there were still people claiming that Batth, a player whose severe limitations were obvious during promotion season was a decent PL defender as a backup! Now he's Sunderland in League One and can barely get a game.
He's actually doing well there, but they realise his limitations and he has a more mobile defender next to him. His last display against Wednesday was described as miraculous and he'll play in the final next week. But yeah, he's League 1. Keep the ball on the floor and he'll struggle with his mobility.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know you like to be contrary as the name indicates but I am sure you wouldn't be as naive to suggest the above without looking at injuries/europe for West Ham and United having a manager who is the equal to the walking dead, actually quite a lot like Bruno.

Just quoted numbers, that's all. Last 10 match form table. There's no points bonuses for injuries/europe. There's always a reason. As if we haven't been without serious injury problems. Our world class striker ruined by serious injury. Player of the season Kilman, injured, which pretty much corresponds to our defence creaking. If Kilman was fit, we'd have scraped a 1-0 today and a couple of the other matches we lost recently, for sure.

What's wrong with showing the same leeway to Wolves that people show to other clubs? Instead of putting the effort into finding apologies for other clubs on as bad a run as us. If that makes me Contrarian, so be it!

D

Deleted member drgr12429

So again, Lage is unable to adapt and coach players to play his style, so he's just given up?

Crock of ****e as well, those first 3 games were just bad luck in terms of finishing but the actual performances were good and you could see the players enjoying it again, look at them now.

Lage wants a style akin to Liverpool whilst having nowhere near the budget or club reputation required?

Again, what in his inability to coach players in a style gives you any confidence he has this ability.
It isn't only Liverpool that play 4-3-3 fyi. You need players that are fast. We have no fast defenders or midfielders apart from Yerson and Toti. Coady, Saiss, Boly, Kilman, Neves, Moutinho, Cundle, Donk. 8 players who are on the slow side. Play that first three games style for 37 games and we'd have not only be at the bottom of the league, we'd have less than 11 first team players to play as the all the others would be long term injuries. Some already are!
You can't coach speed into players.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just quoted numbers, that's all. Last 10 match form table. There's no points bonuses for injuries/europe. There's always a reason. As if we haven't been without serious injury problems. Our world class striker ruined by serious injury. Player of the season Kilman, injured, which pretty much corresponds to our defence creaking. If Kilman was fit, we'd have scraped a 1-0 today and a couple of the other matches we lost recently, for sure.
So we agree, it's comparing apples to oranges.

D

Deleted member drgr12429

What's wrong with showing the same leeway to Wolves that people show to other clubs? Instead of putting the effort into finding apologies for other clubs on as bad a run as us.
Semedo, Kilman, Coady, Saiss, Marcal. They were our back line through that winning period. 2 injured, 1 hasn't played for a few games. And of course Traore to keep the opposition guessing.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It isn't only Liverpool that play 4-3-3 fyi. You need players that are fast. We have no fast defenders or midfielders apart from Yerson and Toti. Coady, Saiss, Boly, Kilman, Neves, Moutinho, Cundle, Donk. 8 players who are on the slow side. Play that first three games style for 37 games and we'd have not only be at the bottom of the league, we'd have less than 11 first team players to play as the all the others would be long term injuries. Some already are!
You can't coach speed into players.
You can coach good recovery, good habits, good diet. You can coach a team that can actually use a conservative approach whilst still being dynamic in attack (West Ham). Instead, Bruno, can only play one way and once that failed he reverted back to the tried and true boredom ball?

What part of that oozes a manager able to build and influence a side?

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our recent purchases dont hold out much hope ……
Chiquino looks really good. Sa our POTS. Hwang pretty average to be fair.
2/3 signings this year isn't bad?

Like Tring says, Neves is our crown jewels and could be like our Coutinho was for the Liverpool rebuild...... Or we could waste it. Not sure how the club is run now but hopefully not just Shi phoning up Mendes, going down the list of Gestifute players and finding how good they are on FIFA or Whoscored.......

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think they can claim European distractions, West Ham went longer than Man U but their disappointment might have been greater as they only got knocked out last week. Wolves should have taken advantage of them both and sailed past them, but we were just not good enough.

D

Deleted member drgr12429

You can coach good recovery, good habits, good diet. You can coach a team that can actually use a conservative approach whilst still being dynamic in attack (West Ham). Instead, Bruno, can only play one way and once that failed he reverted back to the tried and true boredom ball?

What part of that oozes a manager able to build and influence a side?
If we had some attackers yes. Raul, Neto, Hwang, Fabio, Trincao, Podence. How many have they scored this season? How many of the strikers have scored since the Leeds game? I'll keep Chiquinho out because he's just got into the side.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think they can claim European distractions, West Ham went longer than Man U but their disappointment might have been greater as they only got knocked out last week. Wolves should have taken advantage of them both and sailed past them, but we were just not good enough.
From someone who knows to much about them, they've been running on fumes the past few weeks where the small squad (where has that come up before) has run aground as some key components that carried the team ran out of form or got injured (namely Antonio and Bowen missing a few games). Still they rallied when it counts and have another go at European football next season.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we had some attackers yes. Raul, Neto, Hwang, Fabio, Trincao, Podence. How many have they scored this season? How many of the strikers have scored since the Leeds game? I'll keep Chiquinho out because he's just got into the side.
We barely create anything for a forward player to feast on, our xG is pretty much spot on at being super low because our overall negative play lends itself to not exactly being a strikers dream.

D

Deleted member drgr12429

From someone who knows to much about them, they've been running on fumes the past few weeks where the small squad (where has that come up before) has run aground as some key components that carried the team ran out of form or got injured (namely Antonio and Bowen missing a few games). Still they rallied when it counts and have another go at European football next season.
Bowen scored more goals than our whole forward line on his own. That's how light our forward line is.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lage has done well with limited resources and a squad that must have known for weeks they many would be moving on. But his decisions in the last few games have been weird. Why play Chiquinho at RWB? Why not play back 4 against the likes of Norwich?

I think he deserves the chance to bring in some of his own players, but I wouldn't be crying if he moves on this summer.
We couldn't hold them off with 5 at the back!!! Imagine trying it with 4!!!

D

Deleted member drgr12429

We barely create anything for a forward player to feast on, our xG is pretty much spot on at being super low because our overall negative play lends itself to not exactly being a strikers dream.
Rubbish. 18 shots today, 4 on target, 1 goal. Our strikers...... don't. And it's been a problem for more than this season.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wish I knew what Fosun wanted. It was reported they sacked Nuno because they wanted a better brand of football. Now did they think it was Nuno or the squad obviously they thought it was Nuno. So they bring in Bruno now did he promise to provide better play with the same squad? Maybe he thought he could but after the first three defeats he reverted to a defensive set up. I will say on Bruno’s behalf he was totally bummed by the board in January when we were in touching distance of a top 6 finish we failed to bring anyone in. I’m not bothered if he stays or goes but I hope Fosun’s idea of wanting attacking football still stands and they will provide funds to Bruno or a new guy to achieve it. 51 points so far (probably will remain 51) isn’t so bad but for me there’s a big sense of missed opportunity. We got so close and could have pushed on this year. I can’t help thinking with Newcastle coming in the money it won’t be so easy next season.
I don't think Fosun want attacking football, they don't give a stuff how we play so long as we stay in the prem. We are an investment, a hook to get construction contracts in the Midlands, nothing more. That's why we have a cheap coach and buy 'bargains' or 'players for the future'.

Bruno has no ideas and no authority. My hope is we get a new coach, a new spine, and bring some of the kids through. I will get behind that. Rather play proper football and finish bottom half than put up with this rubbish.

Back
Top Bottom