Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

What needs fixing?

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our midfield is the main issue for me.
On a much smaller scale out throw ins don’t do my anxiety any favours,
The majority of our throw ins are actually foul throws. I'm amazed that we haven't been pulled up for that. Zero movement or attempt to be free in space either.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And to answer the question we need a CB and either a DM or an AM depending on how Bruno wants to play Neves.

I, maybe naively, believe that it will click up front but we need to be able to attack in numbers without leaving the back door open.

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
This could equally well go in the Brighton comparison thread, but it fits here as well, and backs up the view that it's the forwards who need fixing.

If you look at Infogol's 20/21 xG table Infogol Brighton were ranked as the 5th best team on xG. Yet they finished the season in 16th and flirted a couple of times with going down. Infogol wrote a blog about it around two-thirds of the way through the season and their conclusion was simple: Brighton's strikers weren't good enough.

The first five games of the season could suggest we are heading in exactly the same direction. Infogol currently has us as the 3rd best team in the league, with an xG of 10.0 - goals scored by our forwards, as we all know, one.

Clearly it is very early days, but with Raul still a long way off and no other recognised PL striker at the club it could easily be that we're this season's Brighton 20/21

One final point - there have been some really good arguments made in this thread. You'd like to think that the Wolves recruitment team were having a similar discussion...

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
CB, CM and another goalscorer. We only have one in Raul, and I am convinced he will start scoring again, but we need others to contribute. All of our attackers are creators, not goal scorers, and you can see that by looking back at their stats over the years at different clubs. If Raul doesn’t start scoring we are in big trouble, as we don’t have anyone else capable of doing so.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
actually graham taylor tried that in training.
he asked the players,especially the strikers,to stand in positions in and
around the penalty area and to picture what they would do when the
ball came to them.don goodman said bully wasn`t too impressed

Nice quote! Bully was a natural goal scorer - would have scored plenty at the highest level, given the chance. He didn't need to be told. I think that Taylor exercise would be useful for the rest of them, though! In the same situation, I can imagine our current forwards all pointing to each other saying "well, I'd pass it to him". Other than Traore: "I stand still, beat 3 defender, then float a cross over".

ToastedWanderer

Groupie
Reaction score
Our new signing just needs a touch less auto tune and a bit more pop in the chorus..

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves are toothless. All bark and no bite. It says something that it took a defensive **** up to get our first goal, for all the attacking intent on Saturday, not once was the keeper tested, similarly the lack of scoring in the previous 3.

With Raul, have we got time to hope he is able to roll back the clock? Sure, not got much choice now, but it's absolutely naive to think he would be able to rekindle the form needed from the off. He's been way off the pace in every match so far, and hasn't particularly looked like he was improving.
How does Raul either regain match fitness or form from the bench? He simply has to be allowed to regain fitness and form by playing

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The majority of our throw ins are actually foul throws. I'm amazed that we haven't been pulled up for that. Zero movement or attempt to be free in space either.

I agree and its something that drives me mad at all levels, one of the simplest basic skills of the game.
My son who also coaches at a semi pro level was doing a a refs course the other day and made mention of the fact foul throws are rarely called anymore and he was told refs turn a blind eye to it unless a team is gaining a significant advantage from a foul throw.

Pintandkebab

Reaction score
Raul needed to be the backup striker this season IMO due to the injury.

What was needed was signings and they were not made.

OP- What is needed now is Gou to get rid of Shi and get some proper football people in . Otherwise the same mistakes will be made again. The majority of us knew deep down the CD and CM areas were going to cause us problems 2 years ago. Shi never did anything then and also this window. So January and then end of the season you really think he won't be out of his depth again and unable to do it ?

Sadly any players with ambition I fear now will think sod going to Wolves . The only players we may get are players Mendes clubs don't want or need to generate funds .

Gou needs to change this up.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree and its something that drives me mad at all levels, one of the simplest basic skills of the game.
My son who also coaches at a semi pro level was doing a a refs course the other day and made mention of the fact foul throws are rarely called anymore and he was told refs turn a blind eye to it unless a team is gaining a significant advantage from a foul throw.

It amazes me the amount of foul throws in the professional game, and referees should not turn a blind eye to it.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Just out of interest why is everyone so confident Kilman can play in a back 4? After all it’s very different to a 3 and I can’t recall seeing him featuring in it before.
No one is confident- that's why we all said we needed a new centre back and why the club clearly targeted a number of them. But they wouldn't pay the money to do it so if we want to move to a back 4 and increase our attacking numbers, we have to choose a pair and, personally, I'd back a pairing of Max and Boly over any other combination.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Podence is looking dangerous
Traore is creating loads
Hwang our only scorer, got energy
Trincao looks pretty good, had a lot of shots, getting into good position.
Jiminez is looking poor. (Dont think it's disrespectful to say so, we pay our money and will support the club long after any player).
Silva looks just alright but not got many goals in him. Yet.

Need some combination to play front 4. Traore Hwang Podence Trincao for me.
Think we should try a back 4 of Kilman & Boly when he's ready. Donk to cover full backs.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s an unpopular opinion on here but for me Kilman has to come out. This style of football needs defenders to be aggressive and he’s just too passive. For a guy of his size he gets absolutely dominated. He’d be great for someone else but I don’t think he fits what Lage wants at all.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think Kilmans a quiet fella, not like a Coady or an organiser, but is quality on the ball and reads the game well. Made 1 mistake in ages, and got punished. IMO he does look to bring it out a bit, but yes he could do more knowing how good he is on the ball.

Sanewolf

Reaction score
I have been saying for 3 years we need a ball carrier in midfield, someone to to compliment Moutihno. Moutinho and Neves are too similar and as a result we are too easy to defend against. Our only other option in midfield if we wanted to change things...... Dendoncker.

There lies your problem.

But I know that, you know that, Bruno knows that, and I am pretty sure Jeff knows that hence trying to sign Sanchez. Problem is despite us all knowing this for 3 years nothing has been done about.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think Kilmans a quiet fella, not like a Coady or an organiser, but is quality on the ball and reads the game well. Made 1 mistake in ages, and got punished. IMO he does look to bring it out a bit, but yes he could do more knowing how good he is on the ball.
I don’t want to slate him as he’s a young player in a team in progress, I just think he needs to be more dominant and aggressive. If you could somehow put Saiss mentality into him he’d be a fantastic player.

It might just be me though, I don’t like passive defenders at all. In the same way players like Toney let defenders know they have a game, I prefer A defender who does the same. He’s a big strong lad and he should try and bully the opposition

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jimenez is getting unfair stick, imo. He can't create chances out of thin air and the touches are all still there.
I also reckon that he is 100% fit - can't understand why people say he isn't.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jimenez is getting unfair stick, imo. He can't create chances out of thin air and the touches are all still there.
I think he’s physically fit but a bit rusty and there’s a difference. After such a lay off he was always going to take a good amount of time to get up to match speed, he’s like a boxer making a comeback. He will be back to his old self soon though, I’m sure of it

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The whole spine of the team has needed strengthening for at least the last 12 months , new experienced proven at this level , CB, CM, CF.
Jury is still out on whether Sa is up to this level.

Spot on!

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He needs more self-confidence. He's got all the attributes, just doesn't appear to believe in himself enough.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I tend to agree with an earlier post suggesting we need to play with a no10 so as to attack more through the middle and not be so predictable in getting it out wide all the time with nothing coming through the middle.

I would suggest we now need to go 4 at the back with Boly and Kilman as the 2 to start with. Midfield two of Neves and Donck and Podence as the no10 with Raul, Hwang and Adama as the 3.

Loefah

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Jimenez used to be more than that though. He was a great ball carrier. I can't remember any successful dribbles from him in the first 5 games. Hopefully it'll all come back with time.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm totally confused as to which areas of the team are failing.
The natural assumption seems to be defence and midfield. Which is most definitely the camp I'm in.
Contrian puts up a very good discussion that it is further up the field.
My personal view is the defence is shocking, we need a midfield destroyer/runner. But we are clueless when it comes to putting teams under pressure.
I actually agree the forward players are great individually but as a cohesive attacking threat offer very little.
How do you think that we should move forward?
As I'm sure other have said, it's a team game and the whole team is failing. This cascades down from Fosun and Shi who did not support Nuno and now Lage adequately, through management and back-up staff, right through to the players. If the forwards and others could score, there would be less pressure on the defence. If the midfield and wide players created better chances, the scorers would find it easier to hit the onion sack. If the defenders and defensive midfielders could do their jobs better, there would be less pressure on the forwards and if the keepers stopped giving away soft penos and goals etc.....
It's a team sport and everyone at Wolves needs to take a long, hard look at themselves imo.

Novawolf1

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
the misery and conspiracy theorists infesting the club and fanbase with hyperbole all the time
The thing that is getting to me is that I reckon 70% of posts I’ve read since Saturday are telling us we need to strengthen the spine of the team….the window closed weeks ago ! It’s now about adjusting formations and tactics..make no mistake the confidence of these players is fragile and they need blind support…I really hope they don’t read social media

Narfolk Wolf

Reaction score
The short termism is mental, Bruno ball was amazing after Man Utd, after one poor performance (which was still more attacking than al90% of last seasons ) he’s inept, a yes man and out of his depth!
Is it one poor performance or the players resorting to what we've seen in previous seasons?

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This could equally well go in the Brighton comparison thread, but it fits here as well, and backs up the view that it's the forwards who need fixing.

If you look at Infogol's 20/21 xG table Infogol Brighton were ranked as the 5th best team on xG. Yet they finished the season in 16th and flirted a couple of times with going down. Infogol wrote a blog about it around two-thirds of the way through the season and their conclusion was simple: Brighton's strikers weren't good enough.

The first five games of the season could suggest we are heading in exactly the same direction. Infogol currently has us as the 3rd best team in the league, with an xG of 10.0 - goals scored by our forwards, as we all know, one.

Clearly it is very early days, but with Raul still a long way off and no other recognised PL striker at the club it could easily be that we're this season's Brighton 20/21

One final point - there have been some really good arguments made in this thread. You'd like to think that the Wolves recruitment team were having a similar discussion...
Too late for the recruitment team to be having the discussion. Horse bolted, transfer window shut, chance missed. Gotta work with what we have got for three months and hope Raul finds his mojo.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am still hoping one of the young lads comes from nowhere and has an impact. A big ask I know but u23s doing fairly well but the u18's team intrigues me more. Some really talented lads in this group. Some training with the first team recently.

WinchWolf

Reaction score
We definitely need Boly back in, even if he doesn't recover his form of a couple of seasons ago, but at least he offers some sort of threat at corners.

bully9

Reaction score
The short termism is mental, Bruno ball was amazing after Man Utd, after one poor performance (which was still more attacking than al90% of last seasons ) he’s inept, a yes man and out of his depth!
Molineux mix for ya , thank god it doesn’t represent the majority of Wolves fans views

wwfc9

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Two up front
Not sure it’s just this , think if you play a front 3 at least 2 of them have to press , trincao and Adama should never be on the pitch at the same time as they aren’t good at this , same reason why jota , jiminez and Adama worked cause jota and jiminez worked their ass off …

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure it’s just this , think if you play a front 3 at least 2 of them have to press , trincao and Adama should never be on the pitch at the same time as they aren’t good at this , same reason why jota , jiminez and Adama worked cause jota and jiminez worked their ass off …
I fear the worst mate the balance of the team is so bad. As you said already, Jota and Raul did the hard work. Trincao is a show pony with no end product

Rangiora Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People writing off Raul after 5 games . Disgusting to be fair.

he has been poor but he will be back ffs.

just rotate with Silva in meantime.

Centre back and Centre Mid is quite clearly the area we are missing and it is a disgrace we didn’t sign players this summer
Agree with you about Raul but Silva couldnt hit a barn door either.

wwfc9

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I fear the worst mate the balance of the team is so bad. As you said already, Jota and Raul did the hard work. Trincao is a show pony with no end product
Think hwang and jiminez should be nailed on because of their work ethic , quick closing down and not giving centre halves anytime leads to mistakes, trincao and traore should never be on the field together unless we are cruising …

Back
Top Bottom