Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Stadium Plans

Derbywolf85

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My internal cynicism is leading me to to the conclusion that all these issues - Cancelling the redevelopment, cancelling the temp stand, now issues with the Graham Hughes stand - are all a pre-cursour to a departure from Molineux to a new state of the art stadium somewhere else in Wolverhampton.

Just a hunch.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On a separate note, the 'gold' coloured seats in the North Bank are starting to look terribly faded I noticed Saturday.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Agreed.
Why bother to get planning permission and then do nothing.
Crazy.
The universal catch all excuse of 2021, the pamdemic. No idea how many people would come back, although simultaneously putting prices through the roof as demand was so high, go figure.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My internal cynicism is leading me to to the conclusion that all these issues - Cancelling the redevelopment, cancelling the temp stand, now issues with the Graham Hughes stand - are all a pre-cursour to a departure from Molineux to a new state of the art stadium somewhere else in Wolverhampton.

Just a hunch.
If that is the case then fine, some will complain but we need to do something over the next 10 years. The mol is looking shabby and the SB stand will fall down.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Odd that these people who are banging down the doors, howling at not being able to get in couldn't manage to turn up against Celta Vigo
A few factors to be considered here;

School holidays
Work commitments

How many of the empty seats were due to STH's not turning up?

I can raise my hand for options 2 and 3.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ive been thinking recently about the 10k waiting list. I'd be surprised if 5k actually take up the offer. Maybe more if we start to see improvements on the pitch, less if we are in a relegation battle. We're a fickle bunch. So I think hanging anything on another 10k fans week in week out is a bit pie in the sky. Especially planning a stadium to fit them in!
You may well be right, but even if only 5,000 bought ST’s, the rest will be buying the odd matchday ticket as well. Remember that all 10,000 are already paying for annual membership, and the only benefits of note are to buy match tickets or sit on the ST waiting list.

So, building on that. Say 5k from the 11k (I’m over 10,500) buy ST’s and on average a third of the remainder buy a ticket for each home game, that’s still an extra 7k for each game, and that’s excluding members who aren’t on the ST list but who would come to the odd game. Given we can already average virtually 32k in the PL, then 40k is not a stretch for a season average gate. An average 40k suggests gates ranging from 35k to 45k, and that’s without the club building additional support from sustained PL football. Given that, aiming for a 50k stadium longer term is not without justification.

The grey

Reaction score
Odd that these people who are banging down the doors, howling at not being able to get in couldn't manage to turn up against Celta Vigo
Maybe because they’re more interested in watching competitive football

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe because they’re more interested in watching competitive football
Judging by the crowds of families and packed cars at Oxford Services on Saturday when I was heading to the game, I’d say a lot of people are on their holidays this week!

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

A few factors to be considered here;

School holidays
Work commitments

How many of the empty seats were due to STH's not turning up?

I can raise my hand for options 2 and 3.
Work commitments on a Saturday means they aren't going to be able to attend on a lot of games and school holidays means it should have been packed with kids. I'm not digging people out necessarily but not a totally unfair comment

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Work commitments on a Saturday means they aren't going to be able to attend on a lot of games and school holidays means it should have been packed with kids. I'm not digging people out necessarily but not a totally unfair comment
In the BW Upper it was packed with kids. Much more than you’d see on a league game when the STH’s are using their seats. The stand was mostly packed with only the outer sections less so. South Bank wasn’t full but looked mostly full and in good voice. North Bank was maybe 50% full. The most empty stand was the Steve Bull as you’d expect when the prices were the same in every stand.

EdinburghWolf

Reaction score
This. As much as I understand its 'out of the clubs control' as Vinny says, the fact they just rely on a temporary structure is the frustrating part. A new Steve Bull stand could have been built by now meaning temporary structures could be removed.
It's not out of the club's control though. The external report was out of the club's control, but keeping the stand in a fit condition so that it passed any safety checks come the start of the season was very much in the club's control. Basic vigilence and maintenance. Poor show. And poor show from Vinny trying to fob it off in this way.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Those of us who unfortunately have to work some weekends will try their utmost to change work schedules to suit.

TV scheduling can be a real nuisance to us, as can cup runs that postpone games at late notice.

I'm not therefore chomping at the bit to wriggle out of work for a friendly, I prefer to keep that credit in the bank in order to attend meaningful matches.

As for school holidays, what about family holidays? You know people who go away as a family in the summer? That's what I meant.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Those of us who unfortunately have to work some weekends will try their utmost to change work schedules to suit.

TV scheduling can be a real nuisance to us, as can cup runs that postpone games at late notice.

I'm not therefore chomping at the bit to wriggle out of work for a friendly, I prefer to keep that credit in the bank in order to attend meaningful matches.

As for school holidays, what about family holidays? You know people who go away as a family in the summer? That's what I meant.
Lots of people in a deprived city aren't going on holiday this year, sorry but there will have been thousands of people on the waiting list who could have gone.

pacamac

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anyone in the Steve Bull upper Saturday, is there new turnstiles etc? How did it work?

Queues seemed slightly worse than a normal league game in the southbank (probably not helped by fact loads had to queue twice as you now have to enter on the side your ticket is for, something thats never been the case before, you'd have thought a few stewards telling people that at the back of the queue rather than the front might have helped) which was worrying as only about 60% full.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lots of people in a deprived city aren't going on holiday this year, sorry but there will have been thousands of people on the waiting list who could have gone.
Maybe those were the ones who did go..I know more STH's who didn't go than did. Perhaps the empty seats were missing regulars?

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Why are you equating going to a friendly kickabout with a competitive league game? Get off your high horse. Fans are interested in attending competitive matches that mean something, not friendlies that mean nothing, aren't as competitive, that include wholesale changes, and where the result means absolutely nothing. That's why half of the season ticket holders didn't turn up. People don't have to prove their loyalty or support to you or anyone else by paying £16 to see preseason run out.

LythamWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
He sends an email to explain the GH stand problem so we whinge about how he signs it! Unbelievable, seriously, get a life.
I said that his odd way of signing off came across as passive aggressive. You then come on here to accuse me of whinging about how he signs off.

In your own words, get a life.

pacamac

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe those were the ones who did go..I know more STH's who didn't go than did. Perhaps the empty seats were missing regulars?
The crowd definitely did have a non regular feel to it, can't blame STH's at all either just forked out a very large sum of money and will be guaranteed a ticket for the 19 home games that really matter why would hey be in a rush to go?

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Sure, everyone there was a none season ticket holder. I was next to almost exactly the same people as i usually am

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Why are you equating going to a friendly kickabout with a competitive league game? Get off your high horse. Fans are interested in attending competitive matches that mean something, not friendlies that mean nothing, aren't as competitive, that include wholesale changes, and where the result means absolutely nothing. That's why half of the season ticket holders didn't turn up. People don't have to prove their loyalty or support to you or anyone else by paying £16 to see preseason run out.
Well I and 16k others bothered to go to a preseason. Guess it's easier to cry about not having tickets than turn up to see Raul back

WS10Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season 2013-14
Reaction score
Funny how he signs it off ".....Vinny" like one of those snide work emails when someone's basically telling you to go and **** yourself!
To be fair, it was sent as a WhatsApp message to the group rather than an official communication.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Well I and 16k others bothered to go to a preseason. Guess it's easier to cry about not having tickets than turn up to see Raul back
Cry? Troll language. You'll be calling people who don't attend friendlies snowflakes next. Just a wind up merchant.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not out of the club's control though. The external report was out of the club's control, but keeping the stand in a fit condition so that it passed any safety checks come the start of the season was very much in the club's control. Basic vigilence and maintenance. Poor show. And poor show from Vinny trying to fob it off in this way.
This says it completely for me. To lose betwen £50k and £100k by having the stand out of action for our first 2 games is poor and smacks of mismanagement. You’ll struggle to convince me otherwise. It shouldn’t have been a surprise when they had their latest assessment that work was needed. At the very least I’d have expected “failure to obtain safety certificate” to have been on their risk log and mitigation actions to have been in place to limit the exposure.

I also don’t understand why the other temporary stand was not built over the Summer (once Covid way forward became clear) - or at the least now be underway.

Hoping it means there are bigger plans for ground in the near term and hence short-term fix now becomes less financially viable. I fear not though!

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This was what Jeff Shi said in the Ask Wolves series -

"No, I think Russell has good done a good job and he proposed to me a good plan. Before that plan, I thought a new location would be possible, but after that plan – I have seen that plan, it’s a very good plan – so I don’t think we should move to another location."

There is a plan. It's a Russell Jones plan. We just don't know what the whole plan is.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Judging by the crowds of families and packed cars at Oxford Services on Saturday when I was heading to the game, I’d say a lot of people are on their holidays this week!

It is one of the main weeks of the holiday period.

main holiday weeks used to be.The last week of July and The first week of August.And then some firms moved them to the First 2 weeks of August.
so the main weeks are now spread over a 3 week period.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
This says it completely for me. To lose betwen £50k and £100k by having the stand out of action for our first 2 games is poor and smacks of mismanagement. You’ll struggle to convince me otherwise. It shouldn’t have been a surprise when they had their latest assessment that work was needed. At the very least I’d have expected “failure to obtain safety certificate” to have been on their risk log and mitigation actions to have been in place to limit the exposure.

The reason they've given is perfectly acceptable. These things happen all the time in many walks of business. The timing is poor. But there's no reason as yet to reach for this situation being down to mismanagement. Problems arise. The management/mismanagement is in how you solve them.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The reaction to the Graham Hughes Stand situation has just reinforced for me how much a certain percentage of Wolves fans want to blame the club at every opportunity for anything, and how some fans also want to assume the club are lying at every turn.

I will never understand this.

But....do as you do, we all get to be fans in our own way.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What is the usual attendance at the “major” pre-season friendly?

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sure, everyone there was a none season ticket holder. I was next to almost exactly the same people as i usually am
It'll be a bit of both won't it. We're a fanbase who had 8,000 empty seats for Steve Bull's testimonial. I'd like to think that had something to do with the fact it was the summer holidays.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

It'll be a bit of both won't it. We're a fanbase who had 8,000 empty seats for Steve Bull's testimonial. I'd like to think that had something to do with the fact it was the summer holidays.
No question it has some to do with that, i was just really disappointed personally. I also question very much that it was over half full

LythamWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The reaction to the Graham Hughes Stand situation has just reinforced for me how much a certain percentage of Wolves fans want to blame the club at every opportunity for anything, and how some fans also want to assume the club are lying at every turn.

I will never understand this.

But....do as you do, we all get to be fans in our own way.
And some people will believe everything that comes out of the club and support them come what may.

The vast majority of people are somewhere in between the two extremes and will move backwards and forwards along the spectrum based on what the club do and say, how it impacts on them and how they and others are treated.

I used to be very much in the “Fosun are wonderful” camp and would support them accordingly but with what I’ve witnessed over the last couple of years, and especially the last month or so, I’m now much more of the mind that the needs and desires of the supporters and the team’s performances have become very much secondary to their commercial desires and furthermore I no longer trust them, especially Vinny Clark with (what I perceive to be) his smug, arrogant and supercilious attitude.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Roughly that I believe, maybe a touch either way. 19k for Villarreal the first year in the Prem
As I suspected. So this years attendance was not too dissimilar to the average for similar types of games. I went to the Villarreal game but not this one. Have been working away for 12 weeks and didn’t want to be out for a few hours on top.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As I suspected. So this years attendance was not too dissimilar to the average for similar types of games. I went to the Villarreal game but not this one. Have been working away for 12 weeks and didn’t want to be out for a few hours on top.
Also this game was available to stream for less than the cost of parking....

Back
Top Bottom