Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The Mendes influence (2021)

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Admittedly over a long period of time, however......
  1. Thelwell leaves Wolves and not replaced (how does Sellars feel about Mendes influence?)
  2. Nuno leaves Wolves but we get another Mendes candidate as replacement
  3. Nuno mysteriously misses out on two Prem jobs
  4. Gattuso leaves Fiorentina after 2wks in job because of conflict over Mendes signings from Porto
Mendes still clearly looms very large at Molineux - but do we think the dynamic has changed at all for Fosun? Will the relationship help us (as it did in the summer of 2018) or hinder us with ill-fitting replacements (2020)? Do we think Fosun can make their own mind up on players, and if so, is Sellars really our only advisor?

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In the end, at some point, I think we will have to sever the umbilical cord to Mendes. He is there principally because FOSUN (Jeff Shi) need his advice, as they don't have in-house football expertise. But his advice doesn't come without strings attached in the form of 'his' players and 'his' managers. That's how he makes his money. There will come a point, may be under FOSUN, and certainly if our ownership changes, when he outlives his usefulness. For what it's worth, I hope we eventually outgrow him. The over-reliance on him is unhealthy.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We had a bit of discussion yesterday where I mentioned my concern of how Fosun are running the club. This is another point which I feel is valid, alongside Jeff seemingly to take on many different roles which he doesn't have any previous experience in.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We had a bit of discussion yesterday where I mentioned my concern of how Fosun are running the club. This is another point which I feel is valid, alongside Jeff seemingly to take on many different roles which he doesn't have any previous experience in.
That's the biggest issue with wolves for me.

I've previously worked at a company like that and it didn't end well

Pintandkebab

Reaction score
I am hopeful Lage has some say in the players he wants otherwise I think he might not last the season .

As otherwise some of the players may not fit in his formation or be what he wants . So would equal resistance from the manager and ultimately him leaving or being sacked .

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's the biggest issue with wolves for me.

I've previously worked at a company like that and it didn't end well
Agreed. As much as the previous staff e.g. Thelwell and Dalrymple got stick, I think it's very useful to have different points of view to challenge Jeff. I've not seen too much of the current board, but I'm not convinced by them at the moment and my feeling is that we have a bunch of yes men which really isn't good for our long term development.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am hopeful Lage has some say in the players he wants otherwise I think he might not last the season .

As otherwise some of the players may not fit in his formation or be what he wants . So would equal resistance from the manager and ultimately him leaving or being sacked .
I can't remember if it was on here or Twitter, but somebody did mention that he doesn't have any say on transfers, which is worrying. To me, it would make sense that they employ somebody who they can "push around" on things such as this and perhaps it's another reason they got rid of Nuno as he may have had too much influence for the clubs liking.

Pintandkebab

Reaction score
I can't remember if it was on here or Twitter, but somebody did mention that he doesn't have any say on transfers, which is worrying. To me, it would make sense that they employ somebody who they can "push around" on things such as this and perhaps it's another reason they got rid of Nuno as he may have had too much influence for the clubs liking.
Really

That's even more concerning then for me

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed. As much as the previous staff e.g. Thelwell and Dalrymple got stick, I think it's very useful to have different points of view to challenge Jeff. I've not seen too much of the current board, but I'm not convinced by them at the moment and my feeling is that we have a bunch of yes men which really isn't good for our long term development.

Based on what are these current guys "Yes men" & Thelwell & LD challenging Jeff?

Without having any first hand knowledge, this is all just everyone's own bias in making these comments.

People moaning about Vinny Clark raising prices, like LD didn't do that (there was a post yesterday or day before where LD said near enough what Clark said in the AskWolves videos).

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We aren't as rich as Eveton, Spurs, Manu, City to compete for his top players.

We get to develop his younger players which is great, but not worth submission of our whole club.

Question is, was it Nuno's decision to go for mainly Mendes over our scout's suggestions for signings of Fosuns?

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Based on what are these current guys "Yes men" & Thelwell & LD challenging Jeff?

Without having any first hand knowledge, this is all just everyone's own bias in making these comments.

People moaning about Vinny Clark raising prices, like LD didn't do that (there was a post yesterday or day before where LD said near enough what Clark said in the AskWolves videos).
As I mentioned on my original post, it's just a feeling I have, nothing scientific at all. However, weren't there rumours that LD did challenge Jeff on many things? That's what I thought happened anyway.

Please don't get me started on Vinny Clarke. After the video and his justification for raising prices, I have very little respect for him.

rg4352

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Why would he take the job if he’s been told he will have no say on transfers?
Considering one of the reasons touted for him leaving Benfica was because he didn’t agree with the outgoings/transfers that happened, it would make no sense giving him the job here, if he has no say on them

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

But LD dressed nicely and spoke well so it was ok ;)

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As I mentioned on my original post, it's just a feeling I have, nothing scientific at all. However, weren't there rumours that LD did challenge Jeff on many things? That's what I thought happened anyway.

Please don't get me started on Vinny Clarke. After the video and his justification for raising prices, I have very little respect for him.

Hope that little respect you hold for him, is the same for LD then.

Genuinely no idea regarding LD challenging Shi. You'd have to bring them up or see if you can find them.

The point is your making baseless points. Point is, none of us really know one way or the other.

People don't like Clark cause of how he came across regarding prices but instead of that being the sole issue it turns into comments about his appearance, he doesn't challenge Jeff, he's a yes man, etc, etc. Christ we had, what I'm assuming is adults bitching about what Matt Wild wore to show Bruno round Molineux.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why would he take the job if he’s been told he will have no say on transfers?
Considering one of the reasons touted for him leaving Benfica was because he didn’t agree with the outgoings/transfers that happened, it would make no sense giving him the job here, if he has no say on them
Again, it's just what I saw either on here or Twitter. Who knows if it is actually the case. Were any other clubs in for him? If not, he may not be in a position to demand a say on transfers dealings from us.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Yeah problem with the Mendes link is which top quality Director of Football is going to want to work with Mendes heavy influence? Was reportedly a reason we stopped recruiting for one a few years back

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hope that little respect you hold for him, is the same for LD then.

Genuinely no idea regarding LD challenging Shi. You'd have to bring them up or see if you can find them.

The point is your making baseless points. Point is, none of us really know one way or the other.

People don't like Clark cause of how he came across regarding prices but instead of that being the sole issue it turns into comments about his appearance, he doesn't challenge Jeff, he's a yes man, etc, etc. Christ we had, what I'm assuming is adults bitching about what Matt Wild wore to show Bruno round Molineux.
Yes, none of us know - which is the point of discussing these things on Mol Mix, to share our opinions.

I couldn't care less about VC's appearance. What I do care is how his work affects fans, and it's something which I don't like.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah problem with the Mendes link is which top quality Director of Football is going to want to work with Mendes heavy influence? Was reportedly a reason we stopped recruiting for one a few years back

Was it though? Thought we were interested in the guy that was at Barnsley but then covid hit so it was put on hold. Then Jeff worked more closely with Scott & Matt Wild & essentially split the role. Scott, for all purposes, our DoF.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, Mendes is essentially our unofficial DOF. I'm not very comfortable with that to be honest due to him having other interests outside our club.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Was it though? Thought we were interested in the guy that was at Barnsley but then covid hit so it was put on hold. Then Jeff worked more closely with Scott & Matt Wild & essentially split the role. Scott, for all purposes, our DoF.
Spiers reported so iirc, also is DoF at Barnsley a top of the line candidate? They have done well and are very moneyball/analytics heavy but their analytics points to playing awful long ball football and pressing high up pitch.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spiers reported so iirc, also is DoF at Barnsley a top of the line candidate? They have done well and are very moneyball/analytics heavy but their analytics points to playing awful long ball football and pressing high up pitch.

Genuinely don't know if he is a "top of the line candidate" or not.

Just know what was reported at the time & saw nothing to suggest no-one wanted to join because of Mendes.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Barnsley’s midfield are literally water carriers, no passing ability required.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
3 Nuno mysteriously misses out on two Prem jobs

4 Gattuso leaves Fiorentina after 2wks in job because of conflict over Mendes signings from Porto

What on earth is "mysterious" about Nuno not being offered/accepting 2 jobs? You're just paying more attention to it because it's Nuno. I expect he was never that keen on Palace and spoke to them more to hear about their "project" than anything else, and Everton would be a good move for him, but they may feel like they can get a bigger/hotter name.

Things like 2 week managerial reigns happen all the time in Italy.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some points for the hand ringers:

1) Dalrymple wasnt at odds with Jeff. He was a "rugby" man and got offered the same role at his boyhood club Harlequins.
2) Thelwell similarly got offered a life altering position inside a massive group, simply career progression
3) No Mendes, no fosun. It was his agency that recommended Fosun buy us over other clubs
4) Why would Mendes do anything untoward to affect his relationship with one of his biggest clients now, or also own a decent percentage of his agency. As a shrewd businessman (which he is) that would make zero sense
5) Why are people so down on having a fantastic working relationship with the most influential man in global football?

rg4352

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Again, it's just what I saw either on here or Twitter. Who knows if it is actually the case. Were any other clubs in for him? If not, he may not be in a position to demand a say on transfers dealings from us.

Don’t really get why him having offers or not affects his stance, if he left the previous club due to transfers being taken out of his control, I don’t understand why you’d then move to a club who told you the exact same thing personally

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don’t really get why him having offers or not affects his stance, if he left the previous club due to transfers being taken out of his control, I don’t understand why you’d then move to a club who told you the exact same thing personally

This does partly depend on the club, and your personal standing.

I don't like being micro-managed at work, but if Real Madrid make me an offer, I'll probably accept it however they want me to work.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not aware of his financial situation, but he hadn't managed in 11 months. Perhaps he needs the money? Or perhaps a PL job is too good to turn down, regardless of the restrictions?

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We've done brilliantly since Fosun came along and Mendes with them. I would sincerely hope we don't forget the progress made and nor where we would be without the joint efforts of both influences. We've had a poor season and Covid may have rattled us all more than we care to admit, but surely the thought of needlessly returning to the Championship (and God forbid Div1) should put paid to any grumbling and searching for cloak and dagger distractions? The fears of what could happen come close to those caused by Covid when I first heard of it's potential for my age group, and I simply look forward to another year in the Premier League - even a modest one.

rg4352

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not aware of his financial situation, but he hadn't managed in 11 months. Perhaps he needs the money? Or perhaps a PL job is too good to turn down, regardless of the restrictions?

Benfica agreed to pay him 2 million a year for the next 4 years after he left until he joins another club, and then they just pay the difference unless he earns 2 million at his new club (us)

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't get this mendes hate. Without Mendes we would still be in the championship. he brought us definitely:
jota
nuno
cavaleiro
costa
neves
neto

none of the above we would have stood an earthly of attracting. he may even have helped fosun find the club. he is an agent but we find other players with other agents. this smacks of the "nuno out" brigade. the mix always needs a bad guy. the list is endless and ranges from thelwell to edwards and more recently nuno. people used to maon about the "cozy club". now thats gone they still arent happy.

structurally the club is weak because jeff has too much power and the 4 guys working for him are not leaders. they may be subject experts but as a leadership team it is not strong. thats not mendes' fault. most other clubs would die to have our relationship. whereas we seem desperate to get rid. madness

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Without Mendes Fosun wouldn't have bought us and we wouldn't have seen the best players we have seen at Wolves, probably in my lifetime.

I still don't get that people are so suspicious and think it's a negative thing.

If it were a Valencia situation, I could understand, but surely Guo's stake in Gestifute should stop anyone's fears? Mendes has no direct loyalty to Wolves, but given that the person that owns 20% of his company is also the owner of the company that owns Wolves, he does have some indirect loyalty towards us.

We have just had 3 of the most successful seasons since the 80s (even last season), mainly down to the players Mendes has brought in.

Almost all of the players he's brought in have either gone on to do really well for us, have been sold for a profit, or both!! What more can he do to win that trust?

rg4352

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't get this mendes hate. Without Mendes we would still be in the championship. he brought us definitely:
jota
nuno
cavaleiro
costa
neves
neto

none of the above we would have stood an earthly of attracting. he may even have helped fosun find the club. he is an agent but we find other players with other agents. this smacks of the "nuno out" brigade. the mix always needs a bad guy. the list is endless and ranges from thelwell to edwards and more recently nuno. people used to maon about the "cozy club". now thats gone they still arent happy.

structurally the club is weak because jeff has too much power and the 4 guys working for him are not leaders. they may be subject experts but as a leadership team it is not strong. thats not mendes' fault. most other clubs would die to have our relationship. whereas we seem desperate to get rid. madness

I don’t get it either, I’m happy we have that relationship with him, only concern is prioritising his players over others that might be better, which has been alluded to happened with Nuno, my hope is with a new manager in with a new plan, it will be more balanced and we get the best of both worlds and utilise our scouts everywhere rather than just Mendes if that makes sense, conversely though if Mendes is allowing us to reach a calibre of player we couldn’t without him, we should really utilise that too

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Admittedly over a long period of time, however......
  1. Thelwell leaves Wolves and not replaced (how does Sellars feel about Mendes influence?)
  2. Nuno leaves Wolves but we get another Mendes candidate as replacement
  3. Nuno mysteriously misses out on two Prem jobs
  4. Gattuso leaves Fiorentina after 2wks in job because of conflict over Mendes signings from Porto
Mendes still clearly looms very large at Molineux - but do we think the dynamic has changed at all for Fosun? Will the relationship help us (as it did in the summer of 2018) or hinder us with ill-fitting replacements (2020)? Do we think Fosun can make their own mind up on players, and if so, is Sellars really our only advisor?
There are a lot of clubs that are going to have managers quitting because they've got no money.
I think certain managers and agents may have to be more realistic in a post-covid economy. If the cash ain't there, it ain't there.

Back
Top Bottom