Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Fond memories of Christmas games.

Rusty Staples

Groupie
Reaction score
Anyone have fond memories of Wolves games played over the Christmas period.
I will start it of with the fine 2-1 win over Everton on Boxing Day 1970, two goals from the Doog on a snow covered Molineux pitch.

R

reanswolf

I can remember a Boxing Day home defeat to Ipswich (0-2) in front of 28000 in Mick McCarthy's reign.
Booed off, and rightfully so.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our Boxing Day 3-2 against Bristol City under Lambert was a rare highlight of that season in the league.

That ridiculous clearance in stoppage time when it looked for the world that they'd equalised. No one had a clue if the goal had been given or the game was over.

Also etched in my memory as the day I walked out of the ground thinking I'd won 3k on a 6 fold of draws having looked at the scores on the telly. Only to discover Northampton had scored a 94th minute injury time winner at Oxford.

Still hurts.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mick in charge of Ipswich? Was a few days after Boxing Day, when we’d lost 3-0 at home to Peterborough. What a merry Xmas that was.

Was quite impressive how we managed to make the Ipswich game even worse than the Peterborough one, which was pretty much as bad as it gets.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Remember going to Stockport and losing 3-2 on Boxing Day. Wracked off.
Remember going to Oldham and losing 4–1 on Boxing Day. Wracked off.
Remember going to Swindon and losing 1-0 on Boxing Day. Wracked off.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am the third one in this thread to nominate the 5-1 at Eastville in 1976. Drove down listening on the car cassette player (!) to the music from Shaft by Isaac Hayes. Alan Sunderland played a blinder, as I recall.

A couple of others:

A 5-3 win at the old Baseball Ground in 1967 on a mud heap of a pitch. Bob Hatton (remember him?) scored at least one of our goals. We won the return fixture played a couple of days later (or was it before?) 3-0 at Molineux.

A 7-0 pummeling of Portsmouth at Molineux in 1958, my first Christmas game at the age of 10. I am pretty sure there were two hat-tricks, one definitely by Colin Booth, the other Peter Broadbent, I think. We won the return fixture a couple of days before at Fratton 5-3, making a 12-3 total for Christmas! The smell of Christmas cigar smoke in the crowd, pints of beer being consumed in real glasses in the Waterloo Stand standing area! Happy days!

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mick in charge of Ipswich? Was a few days after Boxing Day, when we’d lost 3-0 at home to Peterborough. What a merry Xmas that was.
Was that just before the Luton FA Cup game?

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was it a Boxing Day game when Reading absolutely smashed us (footballing wise) at Molineux? I think Hoddle was in charge.

drewsie

Groupie
Reaction score
Boxing Day 1990 - Sheffield Wednesday away.

2 nil down, absolutely ****ed it down, dog on the pitch, John Hawks sent off for them and we ended up drawing the game 2-2.

the other thing I remember is it was the only the 2nd time I’d sat down at a game. The lower tier of the Leepings Lane end was still closed because of the Hillsborough disaster. At half time I went down to the front of the upper tier and had a look at the lower terracing. What I saw shocked me. I was 18 at the time. Some of the crush barriers were literally bent over or in some cases partially ripped out from the concrete.

A few times back then, I (and I’m sure a lot a folks on here) experienced getting pinned to a barrier on the old South Bank. It wasn’t pleasant to feel a surge of folks on top of you and you’re pinned to one of those things. Cannot begin to imagine the horror of those poor people who attended that semi final.

Last edited:

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Boxing Day in the 1990s played Oxford United twice in consecutive years. 3-1 and 1-1 I think?

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was that their Coppell promotion season?

Yeh. They set all sorts of records that season.

The most impressive being that they only lost 2 games. 1 being on the opening day as well. So 1 other in 45. Which in any league is amazing, let alone the Championship.

JR WAS KING

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was it a Boxing Day game when Reading absolutely smashed us (footballing wise) at Molineux? I think Hoddle was in charge.
Yes, it was early evening and I was totally ****ed off after the game

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves 2 Oxford 1 between Xmas and new year in early 90s.
1-0 down with 5 minutes to go and won 2-1, Kevin Keen last minute winner. Ground went mental.

hankin

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Wolves 2 Birmingham 1

1978, I'm sure someone got a last minute winner
I had forgotten that. A Peter Daniels penalty I think, or was that the equaliser? This was the start of the revival under John Barnwell after having suffered heavy home defeats against Villa and WBA..

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Remember Saiss scoring an absolute rocket away at Millwall on Boxing Day

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
bristol city home then away 27/28 dec.1965/66. 1-1 buckley then 1-0 knowles.remember the away game stood at the back of the stand with the floodlight generator fumes making me feel sick.think they were new lights.crowd was over 36000.then driving home on an icy night and the car heater packing up

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am the third one in this thread to nominate the 5-1 at Eastville in 1976. Drove down listening on the car cassette player (!) to the music from Shaft by Isaac Hayes. Alan Sunderland played a blinder, as I recall.

A couple of others:

A 5-3 win at the old Baseball Ground in 1967 on a mud heap of a pitch. Bob Hatton (remember him?) scored at least one of our goals. We won the return fixture played a couple of days later (or was it before?) 3-0 at Molineux.

A 7-0 pummeling of Portsmouth at Molineux in 1958, my first Christmas game at the age of 10. I am pretty sure there were two hat-tricks, one definitely by Colin Booth, the other Peter Broadbent, I think. We won the return fixture a couple of days before at Fratton 5-3, making a 12-3 total for Christmas! The smell of Christmas cigar smoke in the crowd, pints of beer being consumed in real glasses in the Waterloo Stand standing area! Happy days!
I remember the Portsmouth matches at Christmas 1958. I didn't see them as we were living in Dorset at the time and I was only just 15, but the results certainly made my Christmas!

The 7-0 match was in front of 41,347 at Molineux. Scorers were Booth 3, Deeley 3 and Horne.

At Fratton Park, the attendance was 28,022. Scorers were Broadbent 3, Booth and Deeley.

NavyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah that was a truly awful game. Mick's first back at Molineux wasn't it?

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
Wolves 2 Oxford 1 between Xmas and new year in early 90s.
1-0 down with 5 minutes to go and won 2-1, Kevin Keen last minute winner. Ground went mental.
Good call. That match is often in my mind, as it was my first time in Sir Jack's completed Molineux, it looked great.
Was sat In the Billy Wright stand, and as you say the ground went mental, Christmas period 1993.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spurs 0–1 Wolves 2009 stands out for me.

Christ that was a long game! Jubilation in the away end though was unreal at full time.

Being londoners ourselves we’d snuck into some of the home pubs before kickoff and mutual friends of ours were super confident “Spurs will win 4-0”, “At least 5 today I reckon” they were all telling us having recently hammered Wigan at home 9–1...

... we ended up in a Spurs pub again after the game, was so satisfying chatting to the same mob at FT!

Back
Top Bottom