Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Project Big Picture

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As if everyone is not already ****ed off enough with COVID, Knifecrime, PPV, and no fans at footie. We now have a power grab designed to benefit a few over the many. This will clearly make the divide between the have and the have nots even wider. The sooner either Liverpool or Manchester United are relegated from the Premiership the better.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A lot of good things here that should be done regardless.

But giving the top six clubs in England control of all English football as we know , when those clubs are not owned by British entities is a disgrace .

Room for negotiation ? - football does need to move forward.

Perhaps an entity like Ofcom could represent the Goverment and the public interest,

Last edited:

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was first muted long before that. Certainly discussed in the 1960's, even the late 1950's if my memory serves me well. I agree with your sentiments on why would anyone want it. It has become very boring how, every so often, some numbskull comes up with proposed changes which usually go away. Unfortunately these proposed changes are usually greed inspired rather than for the good of the game.
Stan Cullis had one idea for a European League that would involve the league winners and cups winners from each country playing in a European league for one season, then return to their domestic league the season after. Every season would have different teams in the European league. Of course there were fewer European states back then and probably more competitive domestic leagues.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rick Parry just sounds defeated like we have no other option.

The whole Premierleague needs to take some responsibility including ourselves. If we are happy to sit back and do nothing because of the fortunate situation we find ourselves in, then we can't moan when the EFl become so desperate.

Look at the turnover of league 1 and 2 clubs compared to how much we've lined agent fees. We want to be competitive.

Last edited:

Beeches wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Project big picture!
The death knell of football as we know it.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
British football being run by those nice people in Saudi Arabia, UAE, Russia, US etc. Yes that really makes sense. I just hope there is a massive counter reaction to these proposals that makes it crystal clear that concentrating power in a top six elite with foreign owners will NEVER EVER be acceptable. I was so delighted to see Man U and Liverpool humiliated the other day - it's good for the game - and hopefully one day before I pass I will see Man U relegated to the Championship. So sick of these greedy clubs thinking they have a divine right to stay at the top. And also sick of the media lackeys at Sky, BBC etc who only see football in terms of what is happening to these six. Quite ridiculous and enough is enough. If they want to form a Greed super league in Europe then let them. It will be the end of professional football pretty much as far as I am concerned.

JR’s Boots

Groupie
Reaction score
How could they win over Wolves (and other aspiring clubs like us, Leicester and Leeds) with this proposal?

Nivada

Reaction score
FFP is the belt, this is the braces.

I wonder why they chose 9 - trying to avoid the tenth one?

scumbags.
The 9 clubs that have been in the division for the longest time since they were last promoted.

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Just look at the people making this proposal. Man united and liverpool or more importantly FSG and the Glazers. What do the Glazers and FSG want. They want more power and more money.
The donation to the EFL will be from premier league tv rights. It wont be coming out of liverpool or united coffers. They bought their clubs on debt and will now own the EFL against money that isnt theirs.
This is an authoritarian power grab disguised as a bail out.
  • Vote changes mean that united and liverpool will run football in preparation for a breakaway.
  • They want to change the date of the season so they can go on more money spinning friendlies further increasing the financial gap.
  • They want to reduce the league size again increasing their own voting power.
  • The play off is an insurance policy, if they tank one season they have a chance of staying up. Look at Argentina, they have made it impossible for Boca Juniors to be relegated by bringing in average points relegation.
  • Man Utd and Liverpool make their money through home ticket prices. The away ticket cap is a bribe to get people onside.
  • The most important point is that once this is approved the 'big six' can then change anything they want. This is how they takeover by controlling the regulations. The only good points in the proposal (which is effectively a bribe to get the measures passed) can then be changed as soon as they vote again.
  • At a desperate time the american billionaire owners are trying to profiteer of other clubs plight.
  • None of these proposals benefit Wolves however this is more important than any individual club. This is the future of the game at risk. This is the rich getting richer. Protecting their investment by not getting relegated. Creating a franchise culture. The death of english football that no longer belongs to the fans and at least they have now shown their true colours. They dont give a **** about the pyramid the only thing they care about is there accounts. I cant believe people are actually taking this seriously as a proposition. We want the glazers running english football.....???!!!!?

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No surprise that Rick Parry backs it.

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
BBC radio 5 news earlier today reported (if you can call it that) they are supporting Parry with not one comment on the opposition to it.

As Hodgson said a few weeks ago "this is not the game I fell in love with".

The Morning Star reporting it is Parry behind this not the two named clubs ?

quirky_birky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just let them shift Man Utd, Liverpool and any of the other 'big six' into MLS, and leave rest of English football as it is. We could even have an impartial overseer for the league system (all four top divisions) and maybe call it something like the Football League, who could ensure a fairer system of distributing tv revenue.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just look at the people making this proposal. Man united and liverpool or more importantly FSG and the Glazers. What do the Glazers and FSG want. They want more power and more money.
The donation to the EFL will be from premier league tv rights. It wont be coming out of liverpool or united coffers. They bought their clubs on debt and will now own the EFL against money that isnt theirs.
This is an authoritarian power grab disguised as a bail out.
  • Vote changes mean that united and liverpool will run football in preparation for a breakaway.
  • They want to change the date of the season so they can go on more money spinning friendlies further increasing the financial gap.
  • They want to reduce the league size again increasing their own voting power.
  • The play off is an insurance policy, if they tank one season they have a chance of staying up. Look at Argentina, they have made it impossible for Boca Juniors to be relegated by bringing in average points relegation.
  • Man Utd and Liverpool make their money through home ticket prices. The away ticket cap is a bribe to get people onside.
  • The most important point is that once this is approved the 'big six' can then change anything they want. This is how they takeover by controlling the regulations. The only good points in the proposal (which is effectively a bribe to get the measures passed) can then be changed as soon as they vote again.
  • At a desperate time the american billionaire owners are trying to profiteer of other clubs plight.
  • None of these proposals benefit Wolves however this is more important than any individual club. This is the future of the game at risk. This is the rich getting richer. Protecting their investment by not getting relegated. Creating a franchise culture. The death of english football that no longer belongs to the fans and at least they have now shown their true colours. They dont give a **** about the pyramid the only thing they care about is there accounts. I cant believe people are actually taking this seriously as a proposition. We want the glazers running english football.....???!!!!?
Well put Oli.

Manic88

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Will happen.
The poorer teams know that only one or two of them could ever make it so will take the £ bung for security knowing they're giving up the chance to do what Man City did

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Stan Cullis had one idea for a European League that would involve the league winners and cups winners from each country playing in a European league for one season, then return to their domestic league the season after. Every season would have different teams in the European league. Of course there were fewer European states back then and probably more competitive domestic leagues.
The problem is that every idea has it's down side. With this method a team could never win the League or cup for two consecutive seasons.

NorthWolf

Reaction score
Will happen.
The poorer teams know that only one or two of them could ever make it so will take the £ bung for security knowing they're giving up the chance to do what Man City did

Sadly I feel your correct, promotion relegation will be next to go in a few years, then this special 9 will form one self contained league the rest another, the prem 2 if you will.

This passes its all over for anyone but those oh so special 9 clubs that we should all thank the gods have daned to grace our meager worthless lives with thier wonderfull existance, start practising people 'Glory be the Sky Six, Glory be the Special Nine".

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sadly I feel your correct, promotion relegation will be next to go in a few years, then this special 9 will form one self contained league the rest another, the prem 2 if you will.

This passes its all over for anyone but those oh so special 9 clubs that we should all thank the gods have daned to grace our meager worthless lives with thier wonderfull existance, start practising people 'Glory be the Sky Six, Glory be the Special Nine".
The special 9 would soon become the special 6 if the proposals are ever adopted.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The 9 clubs that have been in the division for the longest time since they were last promoted.

It’s because they plan to reduce the league to 18 so in theory it’s half get long time status but also conveniently only 2/3 of those long time status clubs need to approve stuff so the big 6

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let them form a European Super League. Arsenal, Spurs and Man Utd fans will soon tire of finishing 30 points behind Bayern. I’d welcome them back with open arms when that happens - starting in the same league as reformed AFC Bury did!

Last edited:

Wall heath Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have put a little thought i to this and decided it is a good idea, with some small happenings after it goes through.

let them push this through and have 6 clubs rule the premier league, let them have final say on the Pl TV rights worlwide nd all the power they want.
Let them have it contractually stated that he financial support offered to both the EFL and F.A will be provided with no change for x amount of years.

Then have the clubs not in their cosey little club rejoin the elf, or create a new league which is part of, but not beholden to EFL agreements.

Have sky and bt cut a deal for TV rights with this new league and the EFL, ignoring and not showing the remnants of the PL dictatorship, not renreing or bidding for right afyer the current deal ends, no talk about them on sky sports news etc, let them have their own ppv service unpromoted by the current providers of football on UK TV.

I think that if plans along those lines were made, and maybe slightly leaked, there would be a bug change in the project.

Bankswolf The Third

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The move supports the casual fan so my suggestion would be that the casual fans follow United and Liverpool to whatever Sky Sports Micky Mouse Walt Disney HBO NBC League they want to be in and leave them over there
The real fans will enjoy whatever league is the top league and treat that as the almighty prize and football will continue to be successful and popular with the majority who want it to be competitive. I would be shocked if any real true United or Liverpool fan would want a league and a division so corrupt as this proposal.
No one and I repeat no one was angry at Leicester winning the title apart from the likes of Parry who quietly seethed and worked to make sure this never happened again. If this does not work they will try again.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think this just shows how the established elite are quietly ****ting themselves about the recent emergence of clubs like Leicester and even ourselves.

As recently as a few seasons ago, Man Utd and Liverpool could have their pick of any top players at any clubs outside of the established 'big 6'. That's no longer the case, as the power has been slowly shifting away from them.

This proposal is nothing more than an attempt to grab back that power before more of it slips from their grasp.

No doubt that these clubs look with envy on the leagues of Spain, France and Germany and pine for the days where only a couple of clubs could have any possibility of winning the league.

The Premier League is so successful because it is so competitive. Any dilution of that will not be good for the game as a whole.

But 25% of PL revenues being distributed across the EFL would be excellent for overall competition.

lycophilos

Reaction score
I must admit I haven't bothered to read up on most of the proposals.

That's because the ONLY meaningful proposal at present is the one giving special status and voting rights to a select cartel of clubs.

Once they have that power, they can change or ditch any or all of the other proposals at any time.

If that single proposal is removed, then it would be worth looking at the others. Unless and until that is done, the other proposals are irrelevant.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think this just shows how the established elite are quietly ****ting themselves about the recent emergence of clubs like Leicester and even ourselves.

As recently as a few seasons ago, Man Utd and Liverpool could have their pick of any top players at any clubs outside of the established 'big 6'. That's no longer the case, as the power has been slowly shifting away from them.

This proposal is nothing more than an attempt to grab back that power before more of it slips from their grasp.

No doubt that these clubs look with envy on the leagues of Spain, France and Germany and pine for the days where only a couple of clubs could have any possibility of winning the league.

The Premier League is so successful because it is so competitive. Any dilution of that will not be good for the game as a whole.

But 25% of PL revenues being distributed across the EFL would be excellent for overall competition.

Id argue we’re not that dissimilar to those countries leagues anymore. Realistically only 2 clubs at the moment are genuinely fighting it out for the title the only real difference for our league is there are 3 others with the financial muscle to potentially make a title push if they spend a lot of money.

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Creating a distraction by giving money out with one hand whilst at the same time pinching your wallet with the other. .

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Id argue we’re not that dissimilar to those countries leagues anymore. Realistically only 2 clubs at the moment are genuinely fighting it out for the title the only real difference for our league is there are 3 others with the financial muscle to potentially make a title push if they spend a lot of money.

Going into any season, there's realistically only ever 2 clubs that can win the league.

For the last 3 years, it's been Man City and Liverpool. But since the Premier League began, about 10 clubs have been one of those 2 clubs at the start of the season. Those Liverpool and City sides have set a new benchmark, but once those sides break up, or new managers come in, the cycle will change again.

Look at Spain, Real Madrid last finished outside the top 3 in 2004, Barcelona in 2003. That isn't going to change any time soon.

In Germany, Bayern have won 8 consecutive titles.

In France, PSG have won 7 consecutive titles.

In Italy, Juve have won 9 consecutive titles.

We are a long way from being like those leagues in my opinion, but these proposals could take us to that.

Oldskooldayz

Groupie
Reaction score
The 25% distribution of PL money sounds great but when clubs can sell the rights to 8 games themselves the rights become less attractive to sky, but etc.. so the next deal will be worth far less which means most clubs will be no better off and probably will receive less.

The special status for 9 clubs is a none starter, how can it be correct for 9 clubs to have no real say in their current league and none whatsoever in the leagues below?

Get rid of these 2 suggestions and there's plenty to like in the proposal and its a good starting point in restructuring the game.

More needs to be done by the EFL for smaller clubs aswell as the the PL paying out more. A North and South league 2 made up of 20 semi pro clubs would be a way to help thebfinances of smaller clubs.

The whole games needs restructuring and it needs the FA, EFL, PL and government involved not just the top clubs making all the decisions.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Listening and watching stuff today it's going nowhere in its current form. Some changes are needed, esp support for the 72 FL clubs, but the ideas need to come from a broader church than Liverpool and Utd. In fact the plans could not come from a worse source. At least it gets a debate going and could be seen as a place to start.

Back
Top Bottom