Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Project Big Picture

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That’s something I think could be a positive if the wider redistribution of money stacks up to narrow the gap.

The Championship is a financial cess pit thanks to clubs trying to compete with parachute payments.
It won't matter how much money goes into the Championship. The clubs will still spend far more than they receive and be in financial trouble.

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It won't matter how much money goes into the Championship. The clubs will still spend far more than they receive and be in financial trouble.
More than likely. That’s something that needs building into the changes without killing competition like FFP does. The point about access to accounts is interesting.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I also think that once the new voting system is in place it won't be too long before European participation is heavily biased by past participation, along the lines of the Juventus proposal in Italy.
Can't have the likes of Wolves and Leicester taking say Arsenals place.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
More than likely. That’s something that needs building into the changes without killing competition like FFP does. The point about access to accounts is interesting.

If championship teams are limited on spending then the big 6 and rest of prem need to sign up to a wage cap .

disgusting seeing arsenal sign the players they have for the wages they have then plead that they need money from ppv tv

The game is dead

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suspect what they mean is the clubs who have spent the longest time in the Premier League since it was formed.
I can’t imagine them meaning the top division.
Football only started in 1992! Our glorious history is erased from the records and is no longer any part of this new order.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why drop down to 18 teams as opposed to 20? Just to have 4 fewer games?

I like the idea of a veto on new ownership. Indirectly the Saudis we’re trying to buy Newcastle .......this veto wouldn’t allow that to happen, which, imo, is a good thing.
Yeah, 18 teams and 9 have special voting rights... Hmmmm....

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If championship teams are limited on spending then the big 6 and rest of prem need to sign up to a wage cap .

disgusting seeing arsenal sign the players they have for the wages they have then plead that they need money from ppv tv

The game is dead
Arsenal have been particularly nauseous since Covid started, far from the reputation they used to have.

All of football’s problems start in the boardroom imo.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's just not football anymore and there's nothing we can do about it, apart from vote with our feet, pockets, etc. and turn our back on the game. Easier said than done. Otherwise, the power grab is inevitable, if not this time, then insiduously and subtly over the next few years. Wouldn't it be good if the "poor relations" of the Premier League break away to rejoin the EFL, who the sever all links to the PL and leave the "big boys" to it. I wouldn't miss playing Liverpool or United. **** 'em.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why drop down to 18 teams as opposed to 20? Just to have 4 fewer games?

I like the idea of a veto on new ownership. Indirectly the Saudis we’re trying to buy Newcastle .......this veto wouldn’t allow that to happen, which, imo, is a good thing.
4 fewer games against the likes of Palace and Burnley, more time for money grabbing friendlies in the US etc

Wall heath Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
say this goes through, and the big 6 teams then have the power to make changes, such as reversing most of the other proposals in this plan, voting to take a higher percentage of TV money etc, what would be in place to stop them doing as they see fit, they have the deciding votes unless i missed any safe guards against their claim to the throne.

shaygriff

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I saw this part on BBC:
"It is also planned that, as well as the 'big six', ever-present league member Everton, West Ham United and Southampton - ninth and 11th respectively in the list of clubs who have featured in the most Premier League seasons - would be granted special status.

If six of those nine clubs vote in favour of a proposal, it would be enough to get it passed.

There is no mention of Aston Villa and Newcastle United, both of whom have featured in more Premier League campaigns than Manchester City."

wolveslegend

Groupie
Reaction score
getting rid of the league Cup, 18 teams, all this adds up to less domestic games which then opens up a European "super" league which will be financially massive for the "top six" . it will be a cartel and teams like us will just be a side show .

jeb01

Reaction score
Like most others I would agree many of the proposals, esp those that help the lower leagues, but as it stands the current big six become the big nine for voting on further changes, which is controversial to say the least.
The current voting system in the EPL requires 14 clubs to agree any proposal for change, so the nine who would clearly say yes, need to persuade 5 others to go along.
Not impossible, as I suspect that this particular controversial item might be open to some horse trading.
Would we feel any different about the proposals if Wolves were one of the inclusive group who could dictate the future of the EPL? I suspect the answer is yes.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The top six must NOT be allowed to dominate. Th other 14 need to take a really hard unified line on this. It is turning the Premier League into a cartel. If they are allowed to take charge it is pretty much the end of football as far as I am concerned. We must have a league set up where Man U or whoever can get relegated and where any club has a fair chance to win the league.

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't Prem rule changes need 14 votes .?

Key for the EFL will be to retain automatic promotion .

I suspect we will vote for it if they get rid of special status -whatever that is.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The top six must NOT be allowed to dominate. Th other 14 need to take a really hard unified line on this. It is turning the Premier League into a cartel. If they are allowed to take charge it is pretty much the end of football as far as I am concerned. We must have a league set up where Man U or whoever can get relegated and where any club has a fair chance to win the league.
The other 14 will have to form an elite group within the Football League. The top 6 will go into a World League. This has been on the cards since the inception of the Champions League, Premier League and FFP.

A boiling frog.

The_Blade

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No doubt this plan will have been hatched years ago. The PL know that EFL clubs are desperate for a lifeline and they have the perfect link to seal the deal - Rick Parry.

Big hitters in business have changed this game and will continue to do so.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Haven't the Premier league distanced themselves and called ou the efl chief Rick Parry?

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It does need 14 votes -can't see it going thru in its current form-the Prem works because the 20 all have a vote and an equal share of most of the tv money.

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whilst I'd happily see the EPL reduced to 18 teams (let's be honest, the teams that skulk at the bottom of the league and finish 16th through 20th add virtually nothing to the spectacle of the Premier League) and I'd be prepared to see the League Cup put out of our misery, the rest of this proposal is a massive American (Liverpool, Man U, Arsenal) powergrab to really tighten the already considerable power of the cartel (the Sky Six) to the point that they call absolutely all the shots, monopolise all the glory that the game affords and reduce the non-Sky Six to pale, lifeless bit-part actors of no importance or significance.

So, it's a big NO from me. These proposals would kill the game as a genuinely competitive spectacle stone dead; it would cease to be football as we ever knew it. These proposals MUST be resisted and rejected.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
I’d hate to see the League Cup go. For supporters of some clubs, it represents the only real chance they have of seeing their sides play against some of the top Premier League’s best (well, their best reserves anyway).

Of course, if the Big Six really wanted to reduce the number of games, maybe they could work with UEFA to make the Champions League a straight knock-out tournament. Or even just for the Champions of each country...

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tl;dr - Top six trying to bribe the EFL in order to pass a 'project' which will give the top six clubs complete decision-making power and further increase the financial gap between themselves and the other 14 (well, 12) clubs in the Premier League by reducing the amount of TV money they get, which doesn't effect them since the majority of their revenue comes from other commercial revenues. Essentially they want a total monopolisation of the Premier League in order to permanently consolidate their position as a top six club and make it impossible for them to not be playing in the Champions League.

How on earth did they think this would pass?

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All they have to do is change the rules. Governments (even ours) are bypassing human rights laws all over the world in pursuit of the Great Economic Reset. The Premier League will do exactly the same. That rule of 14 will go right out of the window and the big six will do as they wilt in pursuit of football's Great Reset.

Wipe out the debts of everybody else and then wave goodbye as a closed shop of Elites dominate broadcasting rights across the globe in a league of twenty or so top international club sides.

The USA will be the hub where the governing body resides. China and the Middle East will have no horse in the race and the likes of Man City will be bought by an American tech giant or be left out in the cold.

Personally, I say bring it on. Those that are left behind are more than able to start a new structure of leagues.

Back
Top Bottom