Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lopes tested positive for Covid

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just seen on Twitter the Portuguese goalkeeper Lopes has tested positive surely that's not good for us?!

Also who decided to have an international break now just seems crazy!....

Depends on if he was sharing a room with anyone etc, they get away with it by consistently testing the players, and being in secure bubbles, if he was sharing with one of our players yes we are in trouble.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To put your more at ease, here is the official bulletin from the Portuguese fa/

Anthony Lopes dismissed

Selection A
National team play France on Sunday.
Portuguese international Anthony Lopes tested positive for COVID-19 on Thursday night and was excused from the work of the National Team.
The others summoned, as well as the technical team and staff, tested negative for the SARS-Cov-2.
Players, coaches, staff are conducting a new testing session this morning, so training is scheduled for 5 pm in the City of Football.
Portugal face France in a League of Nations game on Sunday at 7:45 pm at the Stade de France in Saint-Denis (Paris).

So will depend if everyone tests negative today

pacamac

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Uefa -could easily have dropped the Nations cup this season -same in November when the virus likely to be even worse.
You could say the Premier League could have easily skipped this year too though couldn't you?

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d imagine Rui will be out as the keepers train together, it’s been the case with pretty much every other team where a keeper has tested positive.

Clubs will be furious with this.

With our game being Monday, if Rui is positive too then the 10 days will be up on the day of the Leeds game, if he’s made to isolate as a close contact it’ll be 14 days.

Derbywolf85

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would imagine as long as player continue to return negative tests, things will proceed as normal. They'll be tested at least twice more whilst away and as soon as they get back to Compton.

I wouldn't panic just yet.

Nige100

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If clubs start losing players to having been exposed on Int Duty they have a duty of care to the player and the families of the players to cut out non essential travel. The fall out here could be Int breaks curtailed in the short term. That's good. But Rui potentially missing a game isn't my guess will be he will be a close contact and ne subject to 14 days self isolation. So we lose our most in form player for glorified int friendlies.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But without getting into the political *******s, don't the majority want to return to normality? I'm neither for or against the internationals, but it's a bit hypocritical to blast them, then sign a petition to allow us to return to watching football.

Edited to add, I thoroughly enjoyed watching Portugal v Spain the other night. Then the joy Coady expressed last night was a little more than pointless

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 5276

Absolute joke .

the thought of ruddy makes me not even want to watch the Leeds game
Wow...comments like this really are out of place.

I don't get the negativity whatsoever.

John Ruddy is a marvelous professional who has stayed loyal to our club and has always given his best. He doesn't deserve this crap. Whatever happened to supporting our players, our team and our club?

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

John Ruddy is a marvelous professional who has stayed loyal to our club and has always given his best. He doesn't deserve this crap. Whatever happened to supporting our players, our team and our club?

given up with him the amount of **** ups he’s made during his time here

SeaWolf

Reaction score
He did fine last season in the cup. Maybe he just had a bad game against Stoke?
This. I would not be unhappy with Ruddy between the sticks. Especially if Leeds are awarded a penalty

Greeno

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I get these counter-arguments... but let's look at both sides of the coin.

Is he loyal? If he wanted to play football he'd probably be a starter in the Championship, wouldn't he? So that possibly tells me he's probably happy to be on Premier League wages doing (relatively) nothing... or he is actually loyal to Wolves. That's up to individual interpretation I think.

I could also say that I would die for the club on the pitch, but let's be honest, if I was playing up front for us - I just wouldn't be good enough whatever my passion/loyalty for Wolves is. That's also true of Ruddy. He's not good enough and that's why people don't want him to play at Leeds. It's not some massive character assassination.

We're spoilt be having such a good goalkeeper, I'll give him that, most are a downgrade on Rui - but when called upon, of late, he's had a few howlers.

D

Deleted member 5276

I get these counter-arguments... but let's look at both sides of the coin.

Is he loyal? If he wanted to play football he'd probably be a starter in the Championship, wouldn't he? So that possibly tells me he's probably happy to be on Premier League wages doing (relatively) nothing... or he is actually loyal to Wolves. That's up to individual interpretation I think.

I could also say that I would die for the club on the pitch, but let's be honest, if I was playing up front for us - I just wouldn't be good enough whatever my passion/loyalty for Wolves is. That's also true of Ruddy. He's not good enough and that's why people don't want him to play at Leeds. It's not some massive character assassination.

We're spoilt be having such a good goalkeeper, I'll give him that, most are a downgrade on Rui - but when called upon, of late, he's had a few howlers.
I don't know whether you've listened to the podcast on "My Sporting MInd" where John Ruddy was interviewed but I would suggest it is a good listen to understand more about the role he plays at our club.

Further, if you think any player can just walk into a top professional side and be at the level of all others around him immediately, then I don't think you have any idea how difficult that challenge can be. Add into the fact that any mistake by a goalkeeper is always highlighted moreso than any other player and you have the perfect mix for criticism from those who fail to appreciate what is being asked of the player on a professional and human level.

There's a very good reason Nuno keeps him around and not least of that is that Ruddy is a very good goalkeeper with a thoroughly professional attitude to his position as back up to Rui. We are lucky to have him.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let's not pretend playing football on the whole isn't reckless in the current situation. International travel perhaps adds a layer but given the players fly around privately, are in their own bubbles, are tested 3x a week, it's not much more risk. If we're saying international football should be off, it all should be, really.

Like it or not, the truth is that national associations have lost so much money, and continue to do so, it's pretty essential that international games are played, else the knock-on effect it would have in each country would be even more severe. If domestic football is being played in said country, then internationals should be allowed.

If Rui's next test come back fine, it's fine. They would've said already if anyone had been in close contact and therefore needs to isolate. Let's hope all is OK.

Greeno

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't know whether you've listened to the podcast on "My Sporting MInd" where John Ruddy was interviewed but I would suggest it is a good listen to understand more about the role he plays at our club.

Further, if you think any player can just walk into a top professional side and be at the level of all others around him immediately, then I don't think you have any idea how difficult that challenge can be. Add into the fact that any mistake by a goalkeeper is always highlighted moreso than any other player and you have the perfect mix for criticism from those who fail to appreciate what is being asked of the player on a professional and human level.

There's a very good reason Nuno keeps him around and not least of that is that Ruddy is a very good goalkeeper with a thoroughly professional attitude to his position as back up to Rui. We are lucky to have him.
If there was a tangible set of ways to judge his 'value' to the club, then his footballing ability is probably near the bottom of that list for where he is as a player and where we are as a club. I think it would be hard to argue that.

I don't doubt what a great professional he is, it's a testament to him that he would be ready to go in a Premier League game at a moment's notice. I applaud him for that, but I'm just saying that (and I'm absolutely not alone on this) that he isn't good enough for what we need.

He's played for England, after all... but that was a long time ago now. He's certainly not getting better sat on the bench every week.

Irish_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The international break going on now is ridiculous. To be bringing players together from all over the world in the current situation after all the efforts to restrict movement at club level. I mean seriously, what genius came up with this.
Players everywhere testing positive

Mighty Thor

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

what a load of crap. He is a footballer and should be judged as so. If we need a fan club leader or morale booster we can get one and won’t have to pay him a million quid a year.

Last edited:

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
testing again at 5pm so have to see what the results show, we won't know anything for sure one way other the other till those results come back

D

Deleted member 4008

Wait and see but the team could be in tatters fir the Leeds game if they have to isolate

Plastic Shrapnel

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
But without getting into the political *******s, don't the majority want to return to normality?
Far from it, the research seems to point that the majority would prefer a widescale lockdown and a big increase in safety measures.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
what a load of crap. He is a footballer and should be judged as so. If we need a fan club leader or morale booster we can get one won’t have to pay him a million quid a year.
Harsh but true. Fingers crossed as will miss Rui big style.

W

wanderer24

All of our Portuguese players seem incredibly sensible and professional people. I doubt they would be blase about Covid and with the level of testing they do, touch wood it doesn’t impact us too badly. Obvs Rui is probably the risk as goalkeepers tend to work closely in training scenarios

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All of our Portuguese players seem incredibly sensible and professional people. I doubt they would be blase about Covid and with the level of testing they do, touch wood it doesn’t impact us too badly. Obvs Rui is probably the risk as goalkeepers tend to work closely in training scenarios
Here's hoping, as a newbie can't give you a like.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
what a load of crap. He is a footballer and should be judged as so. If we need a fan club leader or morale booster we can get one won’t have to pay him a million quid a year.
Nuno is a former international squad goalkeeper. I will accept his judgement every time

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dont think its likely to spread unless they were sleeping together or lots of hugging and kissing , like at Trump garden party.

D

Deleted member 11157

It'll get interesting when players refuse to take the vaccine. Perhaps they'll be riduculed by the press. Most likely it'll be needed to get into Molineux too.

D

Deleted member 5276

So who are you suggesting we replace Ruddy with?
Who is going to be content to play second fiddle to Portugal's No. 1 indefinitely?

Personally, I'm quite content with Nuno controlling this situation. He should know a good goalkeeper when he sees one and it seems that for three years he has been very happy with Ruddy. So yes, he is judged as a footballer first and foremost and it would seem that your opinion is in direct contrast to the person who actually matters the most.

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we continue to play the way we have been doing lately we'll lose this game whoever is in goal! Time start playing well again.

D

Deleted member 5276

If there was a tangible set of ways to judge his 'value' to the club, then his footballing ability is probably near the bottom of that list for where he is as a player and where we are as a club. I think it would be hard to argue that.

I don't doubt what a great professional he is, it's a testament to him that he would be ready to go in a Premier League game at a moment's notice. I applaud him for that, but I'm just saying that (and I'm absolutely not alone on this) that he isn't good enough for what we need.

He's played for England, after all... but that was a long time ago now. He's certainly not getting better sat on the bench every week.
Seems that Nuno is judging his "tangible" value to the club. And he is nowhere near the bottom of the list as you say. He has outlasted several prospects and we haven't made any effort to sign another number one or two. We acquired Matija Sarkic but he's been shipped out to Shrewsbury so on that basis we can judge that Ruddy is more valuable to our first team than any other keeper we have on the books.

I find it interesting how we have fans who are intent on slaughtering a player who has served us well and that they give no leeway or understanding of the circumstances when he is called in from the cold. If you have a defender who makes a mistake in similar circumstances, they usually get away with it but because Ruddy let a goal in against Stoke, it seems he's to be the next victim of the fickle fans amongst us.

Back
Top Bottom