Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Burnley Verdict

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would just add I thought it was strange taking Jimenez off with about 10 minutes left when including stoppage time. He could have held the ball up the pitch far better than Neto or Traore. I thought Traore was going to come off. That's no hindsight either, I thought it at the time. Oh well, nevermind.

Alienwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Doc just has to put his head to the ball. I know he’ll take a kick, but that wins the match.

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes really. We didn’t manage the game well, we were just average against another average team. How many actual chances did we have? How many actual saves did Pope have to make?

We’re not good enough for top 4. We’ve got a long way to go yet to be at that level. This was just another game in a fair number of them this season where we haven’t put an average side to the sword. Top 4 sides do that.
I agree, though I dont think we are a long way off. But something is missing - we controlled the game against an inferior side, but created only a couple of half chances besides the goal. Burnley actually had by far the best chance.

D

Deleted member 7862Bler

Two last minute goals conceded in a week, I don’t think it was a penalty but we’d literally just got away with them missing an open goal. The previous 20 minutes we’d absolutely dominated and should have probably doubled our lead. We’ve panicked and lost two points, any chance of the Champions League and now have a real battle to finish 6th or 7th.
Everyone else seems to be overlooking the fact Burnley missed a sitter in injury time from 3 yards out. When you are only one up then you do leave yourselves exposed to bad decisions.

D

Deleted member 5276

This is Wolves.

We are going to get these disappointments when we fail to cut through teams and score more goals. We had all the pace in the world on the field with an aggressive team selection and what do we do? We go up the field and then slow it all down time and time again by passing the ball backwards.

It's all very well getting to the edge of the penalty area but if you only have one man in there, there aren't many options. Raul can't do it all alone and I think we missed Dendonker's runs into the box today. We need more bodies, more players taking a risk and more clever runs from those that do get there.

A deeply disappointing result and the minute I saw Dean give it, I knew he wasn't going to change his mind and that VAR would back him up. That was a crucial game for us and a win would have been thoroughly deserved. However, it wasn't to be. Football... love it and HATE it.

Patricio - Had more to do today and did most of it very well. 7
Boly - learned his lesson from the last 3 games and kept it simple. 7
Coady - distribution wayward today but never really looked in trouble 7
Saiss - solid performance as usual 7
Adama - hit and miss as usual. Great work to help set up the goal but at times looked lost. 6.5
Neves - masterful display. Really really good and he didn't get the result his performance deserved 8.5
Moutinho - jaded. Not his usual standard but again, it's a bloody high one! 7
Vinagre - good start to the game and then seemed reluctant to go down the wing second half. Don't know whether this was down to Nuno's tactics or him. 7
Podence - Did OK. Ran into blind alleys a couple of times but a lovely turn in the first half left his opponent wondering where he'd gone. 7
Raul - Another who looks jaded... and then you get that moment of magic. Quite superb technique to hit that like that for the goal. 7
Jota - Another running into blind alleys but he simply needs more options available to him when going forward 7

Dendonker / Otto - no impact on the game but their introduction put us on the back foot when we had everything nicely under control.
Neto - not really in the game in the 15 mins or so that he got.
Doherty - made a difference when he came on as we looked better down the right. 7

Nuno - Loved his team selection but again you might question why we settled for 1-0 and took a risk. The players have to learn not to give away silly free kicks / penalties when the pressure is on. Cost us against Watford and while today's penalty was very questionable, we gave away two or three silly free kicks inviting the pressure on. Just before that, we had played out 6 to 8 mins very comfortably and that's all we had to do again. I understand why he doesn't completely trust some players at the end of games because some of them still haven't learned the type of game management we need at these times.

Overall, we can consider ourselves unfortunate. Only one team wanted to win that game by playing football today. Burnley's only tactic was set pieces, just like Pullis. They got an undeserved point today and they might argue we got lucky at Molineux earlier in the season. Football eh? Bah!

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A few observations:

1. Dion Dublin is a terrible co-commentator. I’ll come clean, Homes Under The Hammer is a guilty pleasure of mine, but he should stick to commenting on maisonette’s in Burnley going to auction rather than a football match between two strong PL teams taking place there.

2. As with Neto against WHU Raul deserved a crowd to be there for that hit. Wow, “Worthy to win any game“ as Robbie Keane summed it up.

3. That was almost the near perfect away performance in my view (this may not be a popular opinion). Burnley are a good team, fairly agricultural in play, but very effective and limited us quite well. I rate Dyche very highly, chalk and cheese vs. Nuno, but he’s doing a cracking job.

4. Rui Patricio has the deepest voice I’ve ever heard. No wonder his beard is so magnificent.

5. That’s CL football gone because of one of the most insane penalty calls I’ve ever seen. Only Wolves can get that decision given against them in the 95th minute to kill off our CL hopes and dreams.

6. VAR have set quite the precedent there. For future reference all players must sacrifice their chin being removed from their face when another player attempts a dangerous high kick anywhere on the pitch. I actually rate Mike Dean as the best ref in the PL behind Oliver, but he’s got that very wrong indeed

7. Chris Wood takes a sublime penalty under immense pressure having missed such an embarrassing chance moments before. Huge set of ****s on him he must have.

8. Frustratingly I now feel as flat as I did after Sheffield United last week, and I shouldn’t.

9. I knew Saints’ late equalizer last night was too good to be true. If Dean wasn’t such a high profile Tranmere fan I’d be sure he was a Manc after that decision.

10. To end on a high, **** me what a great time to be a Wolves fan. Cursing a comical decision that’s cost us CL qualification rather than costing us PL safety - as disappointing as that is, the pitch invasion at home to Burnley after dropping points that more or less relegated us to L1 as recently as 2013 felt much worse!

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If anyone thinks that Leicester will be able to do us a favour tomorrow you must be wrong in the head. The powers that be don’t want them in the top 4 so expect a little help for sheff Utd.

I would like nothing more than to disagree with your second sentence, but the shameful thing is that I can't.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes really. We didn’t manage the game well, we were just average against another average team. How many actual chances did we have? How many actual saves did Pope have to make?

We’re not good enough for top 4. We’ve got a long way to go yet to be at that level. This was just another game in a fair number of them this season where we haven’t put an average side to the sword. Top 4 sides do that.
5 shots on target ain't bad...

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For all the talk about VAR and conspiratorial Man Utd theories, this falls squarely on Wolves imo

1) Aside from the lucky deflection that Raul beautiful struck into the net, Wolves were wasteful in the final third. Again, for all the Man United piling on here, they score more than one goal per match so **** decisions like these don't undo them.

2) Masterful possession and game control between the Raul goal and then the 88th minute. Then for some reason Wolves set up deeper and invited the pressure. Dean sucks but you can't blame him for Wolves setting up in such a way that gave Burnley control of the match

3) **** off dyche
What the ****ing hell are you on? **** me. It doesn't matter if we was 1-0 up, 1-0 down, 6-0 up or whatever. That was not a pen and Man U would never have had it awarded against them. That's a fact. Can't believe a Wolves fan, after tonight, would post what you have posted.

Bankswolf The Third

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What did Coady and Saiss do wrong exactly?, we were in complete control..ALL Burnley do is Lump it up, our defence did nothing wrong. Shocking decision cost is not the palyers
They lump it up and as defenders you have to be strong and composed to deal with it and I felt they struggled
Also my earlier point why with two minutes to go are we putting ourselves in a situation where they can hoof it in the first place? I agree by the way that it isn’t a penalty but have to also take into account that maybe we aren’t faultless in this

D

Deleted member 4436

Controlled 70 minutes of the game. I don’t understand the negativity towards the defensive last 10 minutes. You have to react in the game, and Burnley were always going to commit more.

Thought we kept the ball pretty well for the majority of the last 10 minutes.

One misjudgement from Rui aside and a ridiculously unfair subjective call from an attention grabbing ******* has potentially cost us Champions League football.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't disagree but Wolves play with fire every week with a bare minimum lead. It's not sustainable long term to score one goal and hope ****ty refs or decisions screw you.

I like today's lineup and hope we see more of it, and hopefully they click better. We need more goals, simple as that.
If you win 1-0 every week, you win the league.

Regardless of however you play, it’s absolutely irrelevant to poor, and I genuinely believe biased, officiating which should never be condoned.

We shouldn’t be accepting this, a pub full of people who’ve ever played a game of football could tell you that decision is totally wrong.

Burnley had one legitimate chance all game and missed it, if you limit a team to one decent chance, you’ve had a good game. Mike Dean and whoever the VAR was decided to award them a second unjust one, that’s not a question for WWFC to answer.

Tezthewolvesfan

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They lump it up and as defenders you have to be strong and composed to deal with it and I felt they struggled
Also my earlier point why with two minutes to go are we putting ourselves in a situation where they can hoof it in the first place? I agree by the way that it isn’t a penalty but have to also take into account that maybe we aren’t faultless in this
I hear you however any chance they have when chasing the game is to lump it in, I think we defended well overall just got gazumped by a ****e decision

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Please nobody ever say to me again Dyche could manage a big club. That’s the most shocking display of anti-football for a home side I’ve seen for a long time in the PL.
That is unfair if you are limited you have to play to your strengths three null it is not an issue

Ches78

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Thought we played OK and shaded it, but for the majority of the game it looked like neither team would do enough to win it. We edged it and scored a quality goal. However they should have equalised from the Wood header, which was a shocker - then the harsh penalty. Its frustrating that refs and VAR aren't working together better on decisions - in my opinion the VAR guys should have said to ref "are you sure the player wasn't protecting himself, go and have a look on the screen...". I guess the ref saw handball and VAR basically confirmed it hit his hand, without any context.

Oh well, 2 games left - gotta beat Palace and Chelsea - at least we've done quite well against London teams since we've been back up in the Prem. Let's try to stay positive and enjoy the end of the season, and the Europa...

Stratman Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What the ****ing hell are you on? **** me. It doesn't matter if we was 1-0 up, 1-0 down, 6-0 up or whatever. That was not a pen and Man U would never have had it awarded against them. That's a fact. Can't believe a Wolves fan, after tonight, would post what you have posted.

Relax. Of course it's not a pen. But if Wolves front three were more clinical they wouldn't have even been in this spot. That's my point. Tired of wasteful chances and having to strain to defend a single goal.

Lupus

Groupie
Reaction score
I am so confused why that is a penalty......

HANDLING THE BALL

It is an offence if a player:
  • deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, including moving the hand/arm towards the ball
  • gains possession/control of the ball after it has touched their hand/arm and then:
    • scores in the opponents’ goal
    • creates a goal-scoring opportunity
  • scores in the opponents’ goal directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper
It is usually an offence if a player:

• touches the ball with their hand/arm when:
    • the hand/arm has made their body unnaturally bigger
    • the hand/arm is above/beyond their shoulder level (unless the player deliberately plays the ball which then touches their hand/arm)
The above offences apply even if the ball touches a player’s hand/arm directly from the head or body (including the foot) of another player who is close.

Except for the above offences, it is not usually an offence if the ball touches a player’s hand/arm:

• directly from the player’s own head or body (including the foot)
  • directly from the head or body (including the foot) of another player who is close
  • if the hand/arm is close to the body and does not make the body unnaturally bigger
  • when a player falls and the hand/arm is between the body and the ground to support the body, but not extended laterally or vertically away from the body
The goalkeeper has the same restrictions on handling the ball as any other player outside the penalty area. If the goalkeeper handles the ball inside their
penalty area when not permitted to do so, an indirect free kick is awarded but there is no disciplinary sanction.

SuziQ

Reaction score
Frustrating as Burnley being awarded such a non-penalty is, it seems to me that we keep making the same mistake of trying to see the game out to win or (like at Sheffield Utd) get a draw. We seem to have lapses of concentration at the end of the 2nd half since the restart and give away needless free kicks and allow the opposing team a chance.

It feels like 2 points dropped rather than 1 gained, but any gains at this late stage in the season are a bonus.

DasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Find me any of the "big 6" who would get that given as a penalty. We can have Liverpool players have their arms at 90 degree angles and not get handball against them.

Doc having the ball bounce off the top of his arm for avoiding being knocked out and needing to have false teeth for the rest of his life isn't a penalty.

Disgraceful decision. Not a single ref in the PL is fit for purpose.

Gedwolf

Reaction score
Before I do a verdict I have to thrash at a point
......... we struggle managing games and been done over on our second away game in a row
Yep,2 away games on the trot we could have kept the ball in the corner, or even fiegned an injury would have given 3 more points. Don't agree with it but big six do it all the time.

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is Wolves.

We are going to get these disappointments when we fail to cut through teams and score more goals. We had all the pace in the world on the field with an aggressive team selection and what do we do? We go up the field and then slow it all down time and time again by passing the ball backwards.

It's all very well getting to the edge of the penalty area but if you only have one man in there, there aren't many options. Raul can't do it all alone and I think we missed Dendonker's runs into the box today. We need more bodies, more players taking a risk and more clever runs from those that do get there.

A deeply disappointing result and the minute I saw Dean give it, I knew he wasn't going to change his mind and that VAR would back him up. That was a crucial game for us and a win would have been thoroughly deserved. However, it wasn't to be. Football... love it and HATE it.

Patricio - Had more to do today and did most of it very well. 7
Boly - learned his lesson from the last 3 games and kept it simple. 7
Coady - distribution wayward today but never really looked in trouble 7
Saiss - solid performance as usual 7
Adama - hit and miss as usual. Great work to help set up the goal but at times looked lost. 6.5
Neves - masterful display. Really really good and he didn't get the result his performance deserved 8.5
Moutinho - jaded. Not his usual standard but again, it's a bloody high one! 7
Vinagre - good start to the game and then seemed reluctant to go down the wing second half. Don't know whether this was down to Nuno's tactics or him. 7
Podence - Did OK. Ran into blind alleys a couple of times but a lovely turn in the first half left his opponent wondering where he'd gone. 7
Raul - Another who looks jaded... and then you get that moment of magic. Quite superb technique to hit that like that for the goal. 7
Jota - Another running into blind alleys but he simply needs more options available to him when going forward 7

Dendonker / Otto - no impact on the game but their introduction put us on the back foot when we had everything nicely under control.
Neto - not really in the game in the 15 mins or so that he got.
Doherty - made a difference when he came on as we looked better down the right. 7

Nuno - Loved his team selection but again you might question why we settled for 1-0 and took a risk. The players have to learn not to give away silly free kicks / penalties when the pressure is on. Cost us against Watford and while today's penalty was very questionable, we gave away two or three silly free kicks inviting the pressure on. Just before that, we had played out 6 to 8 mins very comfortably and that's all we had to do again. I understand why he doesn't completely trust some players at the end of games because some of them still haven't learned the type of game management we need at these times.

Overall, we can consider ourselves unfortunate. Only one team wanted to win that game by playing football today. Burnley's only tactic was set pieces, just like Pullis. They got an undeserved point today and they might argue we got lucky at Molineux earlier in the season. Football eh? Bah!
So you missed Neto’s chance

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
All over them and had all the play and chances.

Got done by suspect decision making (what's new??) from the system designed to review in order to be fair and consistent without bias.

Adama MOTM for me.....caused them all the problems all game.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno got the setup of the team bang on and we dominated the game really, so why switch formation and concede possession/sit so deep for the last 5 minutes? We invited Burnley onto us, they created absolutely nothing in the 90 minutes, only in injury time did they look threatening. Unbelievably frustrating when we continue to be unnecessarily defensive. Just stay positive, keep the ball and bleed the clock.

3 points we've chucked away over the past week at the business end of the season. Not good.

Arthur

Reaction score
Havent felt that deflated since our last visit to Wembley

Now let's focus and try and keep our 6th spot to ensure we play European football next season.

Even if it's that lower quality one that the idiots down the road thought "was in their best business interest not to pursue"

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sick at the moment. Played the most-controlled football and Jimi scored a screamer. Tried to defend 1-0 but not cute enough to stop giving free kicks allowing Burnley to load the ball into their tall men. Dangerous game to play and it cost us in the most disappointing way. As soon as I heard the whistle, I knew what Dean had given and having seen it, knew that VAR would not overrule as it was not a clear and obvious error. 2 points thrown away and with Spurs and Sheff U breathing down our throat, Europa League could be doubtful.
Overall did enough to win, but needed that security of the second goal.
Most of Dean's crucial errors are clear and obvious.

Back
Top Bottom