Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Thoughts on where this situation will go for football.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The West Midlands Police and Crime Commissioner David Jamieson is saying the return of football, even behind closed doors, is too much of a risk to police officers. Personally I don't see thousands of fans turning up to stand outside grounds whilst matched are played. Plus thousands of fans descending on a stadium would take some sort of organising, most likely online. If only there was a government service that could monitor such activity. Some sort of domestic security service that enforces laws. If fans were seen organising such activity online this domestic security service could take the necessary actions to stop it.

Is this a legacy of the authorities' view of football supporters?

I think the greater risk would be friends and families going to each other's houses to watch the matches rather than head to the stadium. But who knows what kind of social distancing rules will be in place by the time football returns.

arctic rime

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The West Midlands Police and Crime Commissioner David Jamieson is saying the return of football, even behind closed doors, is too much of a risk to police officers. Personally I don't see thousands of fans turning up to stand outside grounds whilst matched are played. Plus thousands of fans descending on a stadium would take some sort of organising, most likely online. If only there was a government service that could monitor such activity. Some sort of domestic security service that enforces laws. If fans were seen organising such activity online this domestic security service could take the necessary actions to stop it.

I think the greater risk would be friends and families going to each other's houses to watch the matches rather than head to the stadium. But who knows what kind of social distancing rules will be in place by the time football returns.

Is he Villa?

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is he Villa?
Don't get it. I doubt 100s of fans will travel to a neutral ground to stand outside and maybe get a glimpse of a team bus driving past. Large numbers are scared to open the door let alone stand in a crowd for this. If a group do arrive surely the police move them on before it grows to a crowd of hundreds. As already stated match parties at home may be an issue but I would bet the people doing this will get together anyway.

greco wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s mainly Liverpool fans they will be worried about when they win the title

Hsvwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who in their right mind would travel to Brighton or Manchester to glimpse a team coach with blackened windows .....You can hardly go to a local pub to watch it.......wouldn’t happen

Even if some idiots did ( a few fines should stop it) there’s more idiots queuing outside B&Q’s which the police don’t seem to have an issue with. The country is in lockdown for a reason and if more selfish beggars had stayed at home more often over the last few weeks we wouldn’t still be seeing so many infections and deaths

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely a neutral venue offsets the home advantage for both sides so there is parity across all of the remaining games? i.e. the remaining away fixtures are easier than they would otherwise have been.

Hell of a lot of chairman with little faith in their own manager and players to compete on a level playing field.

Hsvwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who in their right mind would travel to Brighton or Manchester to glimpse a team coach with blackened windows .....You can hardly go to a local pub to watch it.......wouldn’t happen

Even if some idiots did ( a few fines should stop it) there’s more idiots queuing outside B&Q’s which the police don’t seem to have an issue with. The country is in lockdown for a reason and if more selfish beggars had stayed at home more often over the last few weeks we wouldn’t still be seeing so many infections and deaths
Donut......replied on wrong thread

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watford’s CEO outlines their position.

He makes his point well, and it's utterly valid. But 'a fair solution' is not feasible, because the only truly fair solution is to play standard home and away fixtures, which is not an option that's on the table. If it was, everyone would be voting for it.

Voiding the season is unfair. Ending the season is unfair. Getting rid of relegation is unfair. Playing the season out at neutral venues is crap, but generally fair, because it affects all clubs equally.

If playing at all stadiums was safe, I'd like to think they (the powers that be) would be considering it. But otherwise, every PL club just needs to suck it up and deal, and remember that at least they will likely still be around next year, whichever division. A lot of clubs might not be.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He makes his point well, and it's utterly valid. But 'a fair solution' is not feasible, because the only truly fair solution is to play standard home and away fixtures, which is not an option that's on the table. If it was, everyone would be voting for it.

Voiding the season is unfair. Ending the season is unfair. Getting rid of relegation is unfair. Playing the season out at neutral venues is crap, but generally fair, because it affects all clubs equally.

If playing at all stadiums was safe, I'd like to think we (the powers that be) would be considering it. But otherwise, every PL club just needs to suck it up and deal, and remember that at least they will likely still be around next year, whichever division. A lot of clubs might not be.
The best that can be achieved is the least bad solution for the majority. Some, most likely those already in trouble, will oppose that

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score

If playing at all stadiums was safe, I'd like to think they (the powers that be) would be considering it. But otherwise, every PL club just needs to suck it up and deal, and remember that at least they will likely still be around next year, whichever division. A lot of clubs might not be.

Agreed. Think it’s a pretty fair and honest statement. The one thing I hope is that they are principled enough to stick to their guns if the threat of relegation is taken off the table.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
The bottom 6 are seriously over estimating home advantage in an empty stadium.

Being honest, they should have beaten Liverpool away as well. Missed two absolute sitters.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The bottom 6 are seriously over estimating home advantage in an empty stadium.
To be blunt their at the bottom for a reason and home advantage clearly isn't that much of an advantage. We all know they aren't objecting because they think home advantage is a big factor for them. It's just a tactic to hope that relegation is taken away.
I find it strange that its unfair to relegate teams as the season can't be played out properly but their all happy to promote teams on the same basis if it helps to save themselves.

stuj4z

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The public have shown themselves time and time again that they can't be trusted.
Look at all the parties and stupidity yesterday with VE Day celebrations. In 2 weeks we are going to be over run again

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As people have already said, the PL just need to show some balls and say, "Okay, if you vote against continuing the season then it'll be decided by PPG and (points finger) youse, youse and youse are going down. Happy? Or would you prefer to have a sporting chance?" You'd soon see Villa and Cheating Bournemouth change their stance then.

Gets my goat, all this sporting integrity guff. If these clubs cared about the integrity of the league, they'd bloody play football.

colwall wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Come of it folk

You can’t tell me even in a neutral venue Burnley at home to manutd isn’t the same Burnley playing manutd at molineux

It’s a tight pitch, grotty dressing rooms, old school tight bench (not plush luxuries others have)

Yes you can say it’s the same if they was away to manutd etc etc

But home games have always been a bit of an equaliser against better quality teams with fans or without it’s still an advantage

The Professional

'Unprofessional'
Reaction score
It’s mainly Liverpool fans they will be worried about when they win the title
Let them all party together there as long as they want. Just don’t allow them to leave Liver**** or visit a hospital after they get Infected.

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Come of it folk

You can’t tell me even in a neutral venue Burnley at home to manutd isn’t the same Burnley playing manutd at molineux

It’s a tight pitch, grotty dressing rooms, old school tight bench (not plush luxuries others have)

But home games have always been a bit of an equaliser against better quality teams with fans or without it’s still an advantage

The same Burnley who beat Man Utd at OT earlier this year.?

The 3 worst teams will go down regardless of where they play their remaining games

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Come of it folk

It's not the same but its better than voiding or any of the other strange workarounds. And it means that the weaker team has more chance away to a Man U.

colwall wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The same Burnley who beat Man Utd at OT earlier this year.?

The 3 worst teams will go down regardless of where they play their remaining games

It was an example! Don’t take it as literate!

Fact is top sides won’t like going to places like a burnley which aren’t all fancy dancy glitz and glamour

Of course home field is an advantage

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why can’t they play matches at home and away if football is deemed safe to play?
Because that would almost guarantee AHs gathering and would consequently significantly increase the burden on the police.

colwall wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Because that would almost guarantee AHs gathering and would consequently significantly increase the burden on the police.

So football isn’t safe to come back then with fairness

If we’re talking about 21/22 season all behind closed doors I’d say it’s fair as everyone has some conditions over season

But given fixtures 3/4 way through there is 100% winners and losers in “neutral venues” fixtures

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So football isn’t safe to come back then with fairness

If we’re talking about 21/22 season all behind closed doors I’d say it’s fair as everyone has some conditions over season

But given fixtures 3/4 way through there is 100% winners and losers in “neutral venues” fixtures
So we are back to it being the least bad, not the perfect, solution

colwall wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
So we are back to it being the least bad, not the perfect, solution

I do see your point, personally I really oppose it purely as it’s all money orientated than health related - hence imminent chopping of L1 & L2

Thankfully to no big significance for us either

Although if we were 15th and our last 5 home games were Brighton, Newcastle, bournmouth, Arsenal, palace and we needed points desperately I would say were being screwed a little in disadvantage

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Influenza is not contagious like this. Neither is it the same as the Nazis and the threat of people wearing bombs as hats.

Nothing in the past is like this.
We could see football played in front of green screen with CG crowds if there is a year or more of this
With all due respect Influenza kills 500.000 world wide every year,the Spanish Flu killed 100 million in a year tell them it wasnt as bad as this which has so far killed a few hundred thousand
Im not trying to downplay this at all,its serious and should be treated as such,but to say we will never recover is plain stupid,of course we will, vaccines will be made as effective as flu jabs are and we will live alongside it as we do many diseases
In 2 years time this will be a distant memory for the vast majority of people,and life will go on

mcwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd say the ultimate question is what if a player(s) dies due to playing football.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd say the ultimate question is what if a player(s) dies due to playing football.
Given their ages, fitness levels, mass testing and the sterile environment they'll be in then the chances are virtually zero.

colwall wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Given their ages, fitness levels, mass testing and the sterile environment they'll be in then the chances are virtually zero.

But then it’s not just the footballer,

Who’s he taking it home to? What’s the knock on effect (if any)

We really do need highlight it’s not just footballers who risk/not at risk, and there loved ones too

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why are they giving them the time of day? It's clear self-interest. Just tell them the restart date, tell them the neutral venue they will be playing at and tell them if they don't fulfil the fixture they will be given a 3-0 loss. There are millions of reasons as to why they will definitely turn up and play.

As for the point of what they're saying, I disagree completely as well.

Firstly, as mentioned, the 'disadvantage' at home is negated by the fact you aren't disadvantaged away. Then, in reality, we all know the crowd is why teams are better at home. From supporting the team to more importantly influencing the refs, home support is massive.

Also, we hear loads of rubbish about this anyway. When teams played Spurs at Wembley it was 'they'll raise their game at Wembley' and we've heard the same countless times over the years, whether teams are playing at Anfield, Old Trafford or the Emirates. So does that apply here as well if the lower team got to play at a 'nice' ground?

They are frankly taking the ****, any of those complaining about this.

arctic rime

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As people have already said, the PL just need to show some balls and say, "Okay, if you vote against continuing the season then it'll be decided by PPG and (points finger) youse, youse and youse are going down. Happy? Or would you prefer to have a sporting chance?" You'd soon see Villa and Cheating Bournemouth change their stance then.

Gets my goat, all this sporting integrity guff. If these clubs cared about the integrity of the league, they'd bloody play football.

100% agree

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Point well made. This guy is talking *******s. He obviously knows f a about football fans. Why would fans descend on a ground which is closed when the game is on TV?

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does anyone know what is happening to the FA Cup? Is the competition being scrapped for this season.?

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i wrote about this on the mix in January. it is inevitable we will follow the italians but i expect a "behind closed doors" approach to start with. the euros may get cancelled and next season (which is only 4 months away for teams like us) may get postponed or continue behind closed doors. life is about to change for all of us massively. the economic impact will be gigantic too
I started this thread 2 months ago today and I've bumped Oldgoldheart's post of 10 March to highlight even then how some thought things might go. As far as football is concerned not much has changed in the past 2 months - still 'will we won't we' about both this season and next. I wonder if we'll be in the exact same confused situation in 4/8 weeks time?

Back
Top Bottom