Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Football Films Are Crap

D

Deleted member 4453

The Damned United was a great film too.

This seems to get mixed reviews and I don't know why. I love it, and im not a fan of Michael Sheen at all.
Maybe it's OTT I don't know, but always makes me laugh and won't turn it off if it's on the box.

Makes me hate Leeds too ;)

D

Deleted member 4594

**** I loved Byker Grove as a kid, I don't remember him in it.
Very briefly mate. He’s from Newcastle I believe? Loved SOA.

I think he’s also admitted since that Green Street was ****.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mike Bassett is incredible

Saw the trailer for Final Score and knew it would be best avoided...with this tag line it was always going to be dump:

35,000 lives....90 minutes....no extra time!
Mike Bassett is good. It doesn't try to be anything other than silly but still manages to be quite feasible. Some very funny bits, Mike and Tonka the stars.

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Awaydays was excellent and the football factory wasn't bad either. Green Street was awful and goodness knows why it was worthy of a couple of sequels. Other than Awaydays, I don't know why all the football casual films are based on WHU, Chelsea and Millwall? The casual scene started in Liverpool and Manchester in the early 80's with the wedge haircuts, ski jumpers etc.

T

Truckawolf

Green Street 2, possibley the worst film ever made, it is utter ****e

D

Deleted member 5910

The Damned United and ID are outstanding, if the latter only shows Football as incidental to a bloke slowly losing his marbles.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not a football film per se, but I loved Rita and Sue, Bob too. There's a scene where there is football on the tele in the background as Bob is having an argument with his wife for staying out late with the teenage babysitters.

crocos

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Looking for Eric was pretty good

Agree - I really enjoyed this film and still watch it every now & again. Eric himself is great in it, deliciously tongue-in-cheek, and remains one of my favourite non-Wolves players.

D

Deleted member 5910

ID is a great film. Love you Gumbo.
"Here's a promise. When I have kids, I'll teach them to hate you. All of you! My kids will ****ing come round here and eat yours!

I do love you, though. Honest."

D

Deleted member 3751

This is one of those rare threads, that I could just 'like' the title and not bother opening it

W

wolvesultra

Very briefly mate. He’s from Newcastle I believe? Loved SOA.

I think he’s also admitted since that Green Street was ****.

Yup, very briefly. I think it was mentioned on Graham Norton once.

Youtubed it since actually remember that bit.

Yeah big SOA fan currently on series 3 rewatching it! Waiting for Mayans MC to get a UK TV output (started in the states Tuesday).

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The British Film Institute’s best footie films are:-
  1. The Damned United (Tom Hooper, 2009)
  2. Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait (Douglas Gordon and Philippe Parreno, 2006)
  3. Shaolin Soccer (Stephen Chow, 2001)
  4. Mike Bassett: England Manager (Steve Barron, 2001)
  5. Looking for Eric (Ken Loach, 2009)
  6. Bend It like Beckham (Gurinder Chadha, 2002)
  7. Kes (Ken Loach, 1969)
  8. Fever Pitch (David Evans, 1997)
  9. Purely Belter (Mark Herman, 2000)
  10. When Saturday Comes (Maria Giese, 1996)
Whilst Kes is certainly not about football the scene when the sports teacher, a frustrated would be footballer, tries to live out his dreams at the expense of non footballing pupils is as funny and sad as I’ve ever seen.

D

Deleted member 3545

Best football films IMHO are
Football Factory
The Firm original one
Damned Utd
Ripping Yarns Golden Gordon
Escape to Victory ( a load of mates and myself including some ex pros Perry Groves, leyton orient and colchester players recreated this with permission off warner brothers at Colchester utd ground for the British Legion. still got my German number 7 top.
Football scene from Kes reminds me of my games lessions at school

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Okay, have had a thought about this and do rate the following, and would watch them again suspending some scepticism for a while:

1. The Damned United
2. Mike Bassett - great parody of the Graham Taylor documentaries (this was on Youtube and I watched the Taylor doc then Mike Bassett - has to be done in that order)
3. When Saturday Comes is half decent
4. Awaydays
5. Pele: The Birth Of A Legend (decent biopic, even with the staccato football scenes)
6. Escape To Victory
7. Dream Team (TV Series) - just so I can watch Linda Block over and over

hqdefault.jpg

k-dog

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Dream Team. Harchester United. Drivel.

Reaction score
Dream Team. Harchester United. Drivel.
Used to be a Sunday night event when our boys were young, they loved it and probably the last thing we all sat down and watched as a family, so for me will always have a special place in our hearts for that reason. They even had replica shirts and have seen them play live games at Telford and Shrewsbury. The lads loved it. Oh and of course there was Linda, for us dad's.

TFWanderers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watched Final Score.....so cheesy and far fetched. 4/10

Can't imagine it'll be a hit with hammers fans.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh yeah the zidane documentary soundtracked by Mogwai is amazing.

D

Deleted member 3545

Would like to add which are excellent are the official fifa world cup film documentaries

Wolvesfcneil

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not a football film per se, but I loved Rita and Sue, Bob too. There's a scene where there is football on the tele in the background as Bob is having an argument with his wife for staying out late with the teenage babysitters.
The car scene with the two babysitters is still one of the funniest thing's i've ever seen hilarious

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Escape to victory is classic! Even when the fans run on at the end wearing 70's clothes.

I watched a will ferrel film about 'soccer' recently which was hilarious, worth watching

Mighty Thor

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know it wasn't a film but Jossy's Giants was monumental television
**** me that’s a blast from the past. You just gave me flash backs of my youth. Great tv!!! Gruey also same era and loved that too.

W

wolvesultra

There was definitely a chap who played with no boots on!
I'm sure the lad with no boots was the Brazilian type lad called something like Tito...possibly had like dreadlock type hair? As a kid I thought he was cool as **** think I was still naming my winger in my made up teams on Fifa after him till the age of 14!

Reaction score
**** me that’s a blast from the past. You just gave me flash backs of my youth. Great tv!!! Gruey also same era and loved that too.
Slightly older and I can remember that all time classic TV series, that every lad growing up in England at the time learnt how to play from, the one and only......

Play Soccer - Jack Charlton's Way

W

wolvesultra

If we're talking football tv shows anyone remember Playing The Field about a ladies team. Don't really remember much of the stories lines but for a teenage boy there was plenty of nudity in it.

On a more serious note the quite recent Rovers written by Craig Cash I thought was great doesn't look like they're doing a second.

Back
Top Bottom