Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Best Wolves Strikers

cowshed

Reaction score
The outstanding strikers I have seen in no particular order are, Jimmy Murray, Roy Swinbourne, Ted Farmer, John Richards, Steve Bull and Robbie Keane, not when he was playing for Wolves but with a Wolves connection.

Surrey Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
John Richards
The Doog
Andy Gray
Bully
Robbie Keane

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bull, Doog, Richards, Keane (all too briefly) in my time. And let's not forget the missing piece of the jigsaw Mr Frankowski, Blobby Taylor, Paul Gladon and the Hoff!

John Richards 1974

Reaction score
Richards was the best followed by Bull and Dougan - Also liked Curran Keane and Ndah.

My Grandfather used to love Jessie Pye and they played with real heavy footballs

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The recent threads on John Richards and Alan Sunderland have got me thinking about the best Wolves strikers during my time of following Wolves. I started supporting them in about 1965 when the regular centre forward was Hugh McIlmoyle, a pretty useful player. I would say that the best three strikers during my time have been Richards, Dougan, and Bull, in no particular order. All very different types of player.
We never really saw the best of Andy Gray here unfortunately, although he was terrific at Villa.
I also really liked Hugh Curran.
I don't go back as far as Ted Farmer, but his record was fantastic, and a real shame he had to retire so early.
We have certaninly had a fair selection in that time, some good Ebanks-Blake, Akinbiyi, and some very disappointing Frankowski etc.
That's my era too, and I agree with your selections. I just loved Hughie Curran's gravity defying leaps to head the ball, "hover Hughie" was a favorite shout.

Older family members waxed lyrical about goal machine Dennis Westcott.

O

oldwulf

Before my time:

Billy Hartill scored 111 goals in 160 odd games, a better rate than Bully
Ted Phillipson: about the same ratio as Hartill. Scored in 13 successive matches (22 goals in that run)

In my time:

Nobody has mentioned Jimmy Murray. A fantastic striker in the 50s. Played just under 300 games and would have beaten Bully's total if he had played as many games and continued scoring at the same rate.

Bully, Richards and Dougan in that order. I agree with the poster who said McIlmoyle - his great attribute was his flick on heading ability; he seemed to climb 10 feet higher than everyone else.

Without doubt, Roy Swinbourne and Ted Farmer would have been the very best if their careers hadn't been cruelly curtailed by injury. Swinbourne fell over a possee of cameramen lying along the goal line.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I think my Grandad would have said Dennis Wescott, my Dad would go for Jimmy Murray, I worshipped Richards as a kid and then Bully, I admired the talent of Keane and Fletcher but I find it hard to see how modern day players can achieve the same depth of feeling in a couple of seasons that the true greats did. Feels a bit wrong to have the likes of Afobe even on the same list.

Back
Top Bottom