Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Who should replace Bruno (if sacked)?

Mighty Thor

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why does Rodger’s polarise so much? His CV is really good and from what I have seen his teams play some very exciting and attractive football?

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I was so depressed watching the game last night that at one point in the 2nd half I found myself thinking about Neil Warnock...
If you rang him no doubt he would be warmed by the thought, but in truth, his affection for the game, and ability to fire players up is what would be useful for a temporary fix, but Colin is now too old, just as old 'arry is, so are there any modern day equivalents? Or do they all come armed with a 'gallows gloom' countenance as standard kit?

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Mourinho only likes old experienced players, our squad wouldn’t work for him.

Sam allerdyce is a dinosaur who plays defensive, massively long ball football - we have neves and Nunes, we don’t want the ball lumped over their heads like we’re Wimbledon.

Dyche is basically allerdyce with a gravelly voice and 40 years younger.

Whoever comes in has to fit our approach of developing youngsters and playing technical football (while developing a new approach of “attacking”, “scoring goals” and “winning”)

Amorim is a good shout but plays 5 at the back and has a 30m release clause.

Shame Galtier went to psg this summer.

There are other young and attacking coaches out there, but none of them are perfect - Rose is a good shout, as is potter (wouldn’t come).

Hopefully we get someone lined up quickly, as we should be an attractive proposition - but the longer we leave it without getting points, the less attractive we are.

Reaction score

Sam allerdyce is a dinosaur who plays defensive, massively long ball football - we have neves and Nunes, we don’t want the ball lumped over their heads like we’re Wimbledon.

Whoever comes in has to fit our approach of developing youngsters and playing technical football (while developing a new approach of “attacking”, “scoring goals” and “winning”)

There are other young and attacking coaches out there, but none of them are perfect - Rose is a good shout, as is potter (wouldn’t come).

Hopefully we get someone lined up quickly, as we should be an attractive proposition - but the longer we leave it without getting points, the less attractive we are.

Genesio from Rennes would be my choice. They play some good stuff and we’re 2nd highest scorers in Ligue 1 last season behind PSG.

If we do pull the trigger it needs to be a swift swap over, less than a week ideally and done sooner rather than later as you say.

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Honestly, at this point now, I would take the Bournemouth caretaker manager! He actually made a tactical change!!

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

For me, Big Sam is the safe option if we can't get sombody we want long term.

We was linked with Bruno Genesio last year.

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
For me, Big Sam is the safe option if we can't get sombody we want long term.

We was linked with Bruno Genesio last year.
Big sam who failed badly at West Brom and only likes agricultural big strong British lads? We’d need to buy a whole new squad today to make that work. (Keep Collins and maybe sasa!)

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When a club seeks to replace a manager the incumbent must surely get to know. After all Jorge was the agent of both Nuno and Bruno so it seems likely the did.
Most managers know each other or have contacts who do.
Does anyone know how it actually works.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Big sam who failed badly at West Brom and only likes agricultural big strong English lads? We’d need to buy a whole new squad today to make that work. (Keep Collins and maybe sasa!)

He actually signs forgein players more then most English managers.

I'm not a fan of his football but they'll be structure and he gives his best players freedom.

My WBA mate said if he was there at the start of the year they would've had a good chance of staying up although the squad was dire.

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
Big sam who failed badly at West Brom and only likes agricultural big strong British lads? We’d need to buy a whole new squad today to make that work. (Keep Collins and maybe sasa!)
No one was going to keep West Brom up with that squad but they did beat us with Sam in charge. Sam is pragmatic if nothing else and if we need to fight to stay up should it come to that, he would be most welcome. He would do a job. "Big strong British lads" or little weak Portuguesers, I dont care so long as we stay up. The club comes first.

Last edited:

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I fully appreciate Roma, but I also appreciate we have half of Portugal, are in a better league and are best buds with Mendes

I think he likes the Italian league. It's a more open league too. Big project and a lot of control. Loving his time there, something he hasn't done in England for a while

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Who was the guy working in the French league that popped up a few months back?

Don't recall who published it and can't remember the manager's name but it said we'd lined someone up as Lage's replacement.

SingleMalt

Reaction score
Who was the guy working in the French league that popped up a few months back?

Don't recall who published it and can't remember the manager's name but it said we'd lined someone up as Lage's replacement.
It was Bruno Genesio from Rennes iirc.

Surprised that nobody wants Bielsa given how he sets up teams to attack. Even more surprised that people are seriously considering Big Sam!

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Marco Rose, someone tell me about him, from what I can see an attacking manager.

Lopetegui, from all I hear is desperately defensive and unattractive and if a further step backwards.

Rose is worth a gamble but he's been known to rely on individuals to create chances. Wasn't rated at Dortmund. But I doubt Nuno or Lage would be too.

I'd definitely take him.

Other names.

Julien Stéphan
Gerardo Seoane
Diego Martinez

But sombody that is very interesting is Roberto De Zerbi.

Left due Shaktar due to the war. Higher regarded in Italy.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Roma are top of Serie A after 4 games. I think Mourinho has assembled a squad of players that has an outside chance of winning the league.

If they still fall short this season, I think he will be available for the right offer. But not now.

He will manage us at some point, but it's too soon.

Maybe he will come with Ronaldo at the start of the 24/25 season.

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Surprised that nobody wants Bielsa given how he sets up teams to attack. Even more surprised that people are seriously considering Big Sam!
That's the one.

Is he any good?

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score

The only “problem” with Big Sam is that he’s English. He’s an easy target. But horses for courses. If we need to survive, we need to be pragmatic. He would get a tune out of our players for sure. Not saying he would turn us into Man City but if survival is the aim Big Sam is your man.

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Brendan Rodgers if possible for me. Plays decent football and would be a move away from all things Portuguese. I’d hope he’d make the tough decisions on not pairing some players together that don’t complement each other, despite their individual ability.

SingleMalt

Reaction score
The only “problem” with Big Sam is that he’s English. He’s an easy target. But horses for courses. If we need to survive, we need to be pragmatic. He would get a tune out of our players for sure. Not saying he would turn us into Man City but if survival is the aim Big Sam is your man.
It’s the first of September! We aren’t looking for a last ditch, Hail Mary, roll of the dice to get us out of the bottom three before the end of the season. We’re looking for someone who can come in and get this expensively assembled team up into the top half of the table.

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Bruno is sacked will end up being Bruno Genesio who we were linked with a while back. Exactly like when the random Lage links came out of the blue when Nuno was here!

They will have an idea who would come in if Lage is sacked..

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Shi will surely be hoping to swiftly hear that Sevilla have sacked Lopetegui and then Mendes will be put on the case to twist Lopetegui's arm.

I think the Lambert experience probably did for any hopes of us recruiting some supposed steady eddie from within the UK.

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
It’s the first of September! We aren’t looking for a last ditch, Hail Mary, roll of the dice to get us out of the bottom three before the end of the season. We’re looking for someone who can come in and get this expensively assembled team up into the top half of the table.
A new (foreign) coach coming in without a preseason and unused to the PL would likely struggle. Let’s see what pans out. Hopefully won’t need to call on Big Sam.

SingleMalt

Reaction score
A new (foreign) coach coming in without a preseason and unused to the PL would likely struggle. Let’s see what pans out. Hopefully won’t need to call on Big Sam.
With regards to not needing Big Sam, I bloody hope so!

I see what you mean about any manager that doesn’t have Premier League experience and I’d tend to agree with you. But I’d also hope that any half decent coach could get a tune out of our squad.

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No one was going to keep West Brom up with that squad but they did beat us with Sam in charge. Sam is pragmatic if nothing else and if we need to fight to stay up should it come to that, he would be most welcome. He would do a job. "Big strong British lads" or little weak Portuguesers, I dont care so long as we stay up. The club comes first.
Big Sam! Jesus christ. No!

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Juan Pablo Vojvoda - transformed Fortaleza in Brasil's serie A. (Speaks Portuguese...)

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We need someone who is realistic....be prepared to work with our squad and mendes.... with premier league experience and be a bit more up beat as a character..

Marco Silva for me..

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not my first choice but let’s see how you feel come Xmas and we are bottom of the table.
The only way we entertain the likes of Big Sam is if we leave this decision too late..

If we act in the next 10 games we can stick to the program and get someone who fits what we’re about.

If we’re bottom 3 with 19 games left, then we probably would need a steady hand for 6 months.

Back
Top Bottom