Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Who is the best Wolves player at retaining possession?

those were the days

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Be interested in posters thoughts.

Retaining possession is important but I genuinely don't know who we've got in the team who can do this.

Maybe Doumbia but I haven't seen enough of him yet. Foley, on form, can br neat and tidy I suppose. Forde maybe. Doyle on his day. But I'm massively clutching at straws here and wouldn't classify any of them as being particularly good at it!

Surely Solbakken recognises this as important?

leedswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not just about retaining possession though. It's what we do with that possession that is important.

M

Mattyeagle

doyle is decent at receiving the ball and either getting a free kick or getting it to a team mate. after that he doesn't offer a lot

Sheriff Woody

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Karl Henry, but he gets slagged off for passing it to feet and not trying to play 40-50 yard passes.

B

bridgnorthwolf

Karl Henry, but he gets slagged off for passing it to feet and not trying to play 40-50 yard passes.

One thing he does too much though is pick the wrong pass and put one of his team mates under too much pressure and either they lose the ball or have to hoof it.

Henry isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but he's up there near the top of the list on this one.

I'd say Doumbia and Foley.

S

Sandwell Wolf

Doumbia and Henry. Nobody else comes close. Although I do think Roger Johnson is a decent footballing centre back to an extent.

The last good player we had at keeping possession was Dave Jones. It's no co-incidence that he's now at Wigan and thrives in Martinez' possession system.

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Milijas. Oops, sorry he is not a Wolves player anymore.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
In the absence of Milijas, I'd say Henry, Foley and Doumbia.

B

bridgnorthwolf

Although I do think Roger Johnson is a decent footballing centre back to an extent.

I've always been a fan of Johnson, but this is something I never thought I'd say:

He's by far the best passer and most comfortable on the ball out of all our defenders this season. His passes haven't been anything earth-shattering, but they've been short, sharp and precise. Berra just hoofs it, as does Batth, but I'm hoping he'll improve over time.

E

Essex Wolf

It's not just about retaining possession though. It's what we do with that possession that is important.

That LW is one of the most important things and never a truer word spoken.

As regards the original question, Doumbia so far for me.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Milijas. Oh wait..

Probably Kevin Foley or Doumbia. Karl Henry can too be up there but only to a certain extent.

50pencehead

People still obsessed with Milijas - $$$$ knows why as he never did anything for us.
Agree with others though, Doumbia and Henry

JuliusCaesar

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It's Karl Henry.

And I'd hazard to say he's one of the best in the league at getting the ball and retaining it.

B

bridgnorthwolf

That LW is one of the most important things and never a truer word spoken.

As regards the original question, Doumbia so far for me.

I agree, BUT, after what we saw in the second half of last season, just being able to keep hold of the ball for any length of time is progress. So one step at a time.

Problem area at the moment (full back crisis aside) is the link between midfield and attack. Without O'Hara or anyone who can fill the void he leaves, we have to shake up our attack to accomodate our best attacking players. For me, that mean Doyle up front, Sako floating around just behind him, both flanked by Boukari and Peszko. With the ability to change things coming from Bjorn, Nouble, Edwards and SEB on the bench. Then when Henry's back that frees up Doumbia to be more attack-minded. Then there's a good blend of players who can chip in with goals.

At times we will find ourselves missing that O'Hara type who can make different things happen, but that's a powerful attacking force right there and when it's on song, there ain't a team in this division who could cope with it! Obviously settling in periods, getting to know each others games, confidence and still signs of a relegation hangover are hurting us, but that's how I see our best team at the moment.

B

bridgnorthwolf

People still obsessed with Milijas - $$$$ knows why as he never did anything for us.
Agree with others though, Doumbia and Henry

Agree, Milijas was never much good at retaining possession, but some people can't resist a good moan...

M

Mr Wolf

Keeping possession is easy, it's when there is slight pressure on that the players are not good enough and resort to wasting it. Ward every single time somebody comes at him he clips it down the line, he never cuts back inside and passes it.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not an obsession, and with this forum with comparison to Mick and his sons Ward, Henry, Edwards etc it is merely an interest. However Milijas was our best player at retaining the ball, especially in attacking phases of play. Ironically Dave Jones also who isn't at the club anymore, someone care to remind me why?

E

Essex Wolf

I agree, BUT, after what we saw in the second half of last season, just being able to keep hold of the ball for any length of time is progress. So one step at a time.

Problem area at the moment (full back crisis aside) is the link between midfield and attack. Without O'Hara or anyone who can fill the void he leaves, we have to shake up our attack to accomodate our best attacking players. For me, that mean Doyle up front, Sako floating around just behind him, both flanked by Boukari and Peszko. With the ability to change things coming from Bjorn, Nouble, Edwards and SEB on the bench. Then when Henry's back that frees up Doumbia to be more attack-minded. Then there's a good blend of players who can chip in with goals.

At times we will find ourselves missing that O'Hara type who can make different things happen, but that's a powerful attacking force right there and when it's on song, there ain't a team in this division who could cope with it! Obviously settling in periods, getting to know each others games, confidence and still signs of a relegation hangover are hurting us, but that's how I see our best team at the moment.

Agreed bridghnorth.

B

BaysideWolf

Seems to me that it takes a team to retain possession rather than an individual. It requires players to make themselves available to receive a pass having created some space by moving off the ball - something we have been collectively poor at doing for some time. Iniesta would look pretty ordinary without the other nine outfield players working hard to make themselves available for a pass.

Surrey Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seems to me that it takes a team to retain possession rather than an individual. It requires players to make themselves available to receive a pass having created some space by moving off the ball - something we have been collectively poor at doing for some time. Iniesta would look pretty ordinary without the other nine outfield players working hard to make themselves available for a pass.

Agree with this, it's up to the players to move into space to receive the pass & not stand there waiting for the ball to come to them which is what i've seen so far.

In regards to the original question I agree with the majority that it's Doumbia at the mo

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ikeme so far this season, everyone else just gives it away at the first opportunity!

J

johnybig32

Possession would be easily retained by everyone if the movement of everyone else improved.

Which is what Stale is on about improving.

Doumbia.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is what concerns me a lot. The likes of Edwards, Eggy and Davis dont appear good enough on the ball, OHara is crocked. I cant believe we didnt sign another central midfielder before the deadline. I really really hope we have a central midfielder lined up on loan as we desperately need one.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Henry, unfortunately there's still a lack of movement in the team so it's almost pointless keeping the ball as we're still going nowhere except back to Berra/Ward.

Hopefully once the new players start to click we'll see alot more movement, Sako's movement has been noticeable and I thought him and Elokobi linked up well down the left v Northampton when he came on.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Milijas was by far the best player for keeping possession but now sadly gone. We are not good at keeping possession period. As has been said Doumbia looks the best of the bunch but the rest of the squad need the Mick philosophy coached out of them. That will take at least a year and probably more. We are miles behind so many of our rivals on that front.

S

Sandwell Wolf

It's not an obsession, and with this forum with comparison to Mick and his sons Ward, Henry, Edwards etc it is merely an interest. However Milijas was our best player at retaining the ball, especially in attacking phases of play. Ironically Dave Jones also who isn't at the club anymore, someone care to remind me why?

You say that they are "Mick's sons" but Stale obviously rates them enough to keep them, he has however bombed out the "Molineux Mix Messiahs" Guedioura and Milijas.

I think that says everything.

Ogerp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Last season: Hennessey

This season (so far): Ikeme

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we're talking about "meaningful" retention Foley without any doubt in my mind. Henry often plays the safe ball backwards but this only takes it one step closer to a hoof!

Back
Top Bottom