Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

utterly underwhelming pre season

Q

Queensland Wolf

From my perspective Wolves have done an unbelievably poor job in promoting any excitement about this season at all. Like many of us I check in here to see who we might be after and who is leaving. I also expect every now and then to hear a quote from those upstairs getting the punters behind the new season. What have I seen day after day - NOTHING. No updates, no rallying calls, no insights into what we might be trying to do - NOTHING

I cannot believe the lack of PR ablility our management team has. They could not have sold this season less. Morgan says NOTHING. Moxey trots out useless cliches about how he is tough because he says they wont get our players cheaply. For god's sake man can't you see I want to hear who we are going to get in and I dont really care how much we get for some leaving player who as far as I am concerned is already consigned to history. SS at least tells some dry truths now and then but he aint proving a particularly gifted or enthusisatic or inspiring spirit lifter so far. Collectively these people expect the punters to put their hands in their pockets and follow this team and amazingly many will but the fans deserve so so much better.

What has also been underwhelming apart from the Sigurdarson signing and the news of the academy is the fact that we have basically the same defence that was rubbish in the EPL. How hard is it to get a LB and a CH? We have money, so again I ask how hard can it be? Everybody can see we need these players and SS has been here months but on the eve of the first game we still dont have them. Blackburn have recruited well as have Bolton but what has been our outcome? NOTHING.

When many of the current squad were on the up 4 years ago they were obviously younger and full of excitement and anticipation. Most have been found out at the higher level and the psychological drive will be missing.

If we dont dramatically recruit soon I honestly see us going through the trap door again. Foley, Ward, Henry, Elokobi, Hammill and Edwards are not good enough. SS might rehab one or even two but he isnt as miracle worker. I also have a question mark against Doyle but this horrible feeling of being underwhelmed at what is happening is scary

We are watching our players leave slowly and by the time we react it will be too late and the window will be closed.

For goodness sake tell us we are after Modric, Puyol Jordan Rhodes. Tell me anything to get me excited. At the moment I am just - well underwhelmed.:mad:

TFWanderers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Underwhelming but we've only lost Kightly. The other two are still Wolves players and if fit will play i'm sure.

It'll be a tough season and it's a tough league with some very good sides.

Just remember it's a marathon, not a sprint - look at Reading come storming through last season. He's inherited another managers team and the re-building job is far from complete.

Give him time, we'll get out of there.

B

Bostin

We're notorious for doing our business in private. If, when we're selling a player, the buying club leaks it to the media then more fool them.

I'm quite happy for Jez to do what he does best, behind closed doors. What's the point in saying we're going to sign X player, which will alert other clubs and cause us to potentially lose out on a deal? The club then get accused of having no ambition and not paying the wages.

J

johnybig32

ANother really positive thread. Happy days.

We get it, people are negative.

Here's an idea, how about you give Stale a chance?? The bloke actually does sound like he knows what he is doing!

B

Bostin

Can we start a new section of the forum called pant-wetters paradise? They anyone who feels the need to start a new thread just to have a moan can do so until their kecks are well and truly soaked.

M

Mugwump

I think it has been underwhelming in one respect, but did we really expect anything else? Change was never going to happen overnight and Skoobs has a big task reshaping this squad as its simply not good enough.

TFWanderers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I watched a few championship games last season and Elokobi and Edwards will be FINE at this level.

George was decent until he destroyed his knee at Ipswich.

We've got more than enough quality to get out of the league.

J

johnybig32

I watched a few championship games last season and Elokobi and Edwards will be FINE at this level.

George was decent until he destroyed his knee at Ipswich.

We've got more than enough quality to get out of the league.

Wrong forum mate. You are being positive.

mikic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hahaha those were the days my friend..

J

johnybig32

God, imagine what this place will be like tomorrow if that happens.

crocos

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
You'll get better fishing off the Queensland coast.

Or you're even more headsgone than Fletch.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we win tomorrow, this forum will be full of tumbleweeds rolling past. I trust Stale, he looks mean and I love his shoes.

D

dazmanwolf

I was wondering if we'd get through this afternoon without another pessimistic thread appearing.......Denied! :rolleyes:

Pre-season = Match Fitness

loopy lupine

Reaction score
I didn't read the whole post - but football itself has been massively undersold this year, mainly due to the Olympics.

How many pre-season games have been screened on Sky this year? Usually you get 2-3 weeks of build up, but really every league has only had one this season.

Q

Queensland Wolf

This, haha.

Football is an entertainment business and it behoves the management to sell the show. I maintain I am underwhelmed about how they are selling what is going on.
Dont disagree that change takes time, don't disagree that maybe (its a big maybe) some of those players are good enough, don't even disagree that some things are better dont quietly BUT are Wolves fans so used to being left in the dark by their leader that what they seeand get has become normal.
We all know we need new defenders - where are they? One final piece of underwhelment - What can TC be possibly coaching them and what the hell is he doing the coaching for anyway? Good luck at Leeds boys

J

johnybig32

Sky are making up with it with their adverts for the new season.

Sky basically created football.

D

Danwolf

Can the moaners please bore off now. I've never seen so much negativity before a season starts. Imagine what it would be like if we had an actual crisis!

W

wolfyjoe

I'll tell you what is overwhelming- the amount of ridiculously unhelpful, negative $$$$ spouted by so called 'fans'.

We've got a squad full of players who got us promoted to the Premiership, all of what now have valuable Premier League experience. We've sold two players and brought four in (plus two youngsters), two of which have played in the upper echelons of German and French football, another has been highlighted as a serious prospect in Scandinavian football, perhaps the biggest talent since Ibrahimovic.

We've missed out on a couple of signings because we are now a championship team but we're trying to sign top quality players so we're bound to struggle.

The stream of negative threads posted on here are tantamount to trolling and if i had any power i'd start banning people for their uncontrollable stupidity. I'm sorry that this is not exciting enough for some people but I'm happy with the efforts of our club in trying to keep our best players and i'm happy that we're trying to bring players in and change a deep set losing mentality.

Last edited by a moderator:

manc_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i'll be astounded if any other poster agrees with the OP...

Don't know where to start responding tbh! bizarre post/thread...

N

NorfolkWolf

From my perspective Wolves have done an unbelievably poor job in promoting any excitement about this season at all. Like many of us I check in here to see who we might be after and who is leaving. I also expect every now and then to hear a quote from those upstairs getting the punters behind the new season. What have I seen day after day - NOTHING. No updates, no rallying calls, no insights into what we might be trying to do - NOTHING

I cannot believe the lack of PR ablility our management team has. They could not have sold this season less. Morgan says NOTHING. Moxey trots out useless cliches about how he is tough because he says they wont get our players cheaply. For god's sake man can't you see I want to hear who we are going to get in and I dont really care how much we get for some leaving player who as far as I am concerned is already consigned to history. SS at least tells some dry truths now and then but he aint proving a particularly gifted or enthusisatic or inspiring spirit lifter so far. Collectively these people expect the punters to put their hands in their pockets and follow this team and amazingly many will but the fans deserve so so much better.

What has also been underwhelming apart from the Sigurdarson signing and the news of the academy is the fact that we have basically the same defence that was rubbish in the EPL. How hard is it to get a LB and a CH? We have money, so again I ask how hard can it be? Everybody can see we need these players and SS has been here months but on the eve of the first game we still dont have them. Blackburn have recruited well as have Bolton but what has been our outcome? NOTHING.

When many of the current squad were on the up 4 years ago they were obviously younger and full of excitement and anticipation. Most have been found out at the higher level and the psychological drive will be missing.

If we dont dramatically recruit soon I honestly see us going through the trap door again. Foley, Ward, Henry, Elokobi, Hammill and Edwards are not good enough. SS might rehab one or even two but he isnt as miracle worker. I also have a question mark against Doyle but this horrible feeling of being underwhelmed at what is happening is scary

We are watching our players leave slowly and by the time we react it will be too late and the window will be closed.

For goodness sake tell us we are after Modric, Puyol Jordan Rhodes. Tell me anything to get me excited. At the moment I am just - well underwhelmed.:mad:

If you underwhelmed does that mean you'll stay away from the Mol and let us support the team without your negativity?

B

bridgnorthwolf

What do you expect them to say? Seriously? Every time a player tried to apologise and say we're working on doing better last season, they got shot down in flames and told to shut up. Or maybe you want to Jez to come down on the pitch and do "a Delia"? Personally, I'd rather the club just concentrated on keeping hold of or getting the best prices for a players and getting in quality replacments and additions to the squad.

We haven't kicked off the league season yet and already you want spirits lifting?! Dear god, you're in for a looooong 9 months...

Our squad is already too big, none of our big stars have left as yet (I've never included sicknote Kightly amongst those) and surprise surprise we're struggling to find serious takers for rubbish like Berra and Milijas. The Sigurdarson signing was a major coup, we've signed Doumbia on loan who is a class above at this level and really shouldn't be playing in the Championship and a talented Polish international, who I'm not sure how long it'll take him to bed into the the team properly like I am with Doumbia, but I've got a good feeling. When a couple more players are shipped out, we'll see a few more coming in. And have Bolton recruited well? Not that I've seen. Have Blackburn? Admittedly they've done more than I thought with the Venky's there, but whilst Danny Murphy should be a class above at this level, signings like 36 year old Nuno Gomes remind me of Wolves with Mark McGhee in charge. Blowing stupid money on wages for has-beens with no drive...

Maybe so, but the same doesn't go for everyone, we've added to the squad since then and we'll continue to do so

I cannot possibly take anyone who comes out with rubbish like that seriously in the slightest. The six players you mention would walk into 90% of teams in the Championship. Some people find it hard to grasp that we won't be facing Arsenal, Chelsea and Man City this season. We'll be up against Barnsley, Ipswich and Peterborough...

We could have signed a hundred above average Championship players. It may have pleased some people, but it certainly wouldn't have pleased me! We're going for quality and we're aiming high. Signing the right players is never easy and can take time. I'd rather wait a couple of weeks to bring the right players in than rush and buy for the sake of buying. People weren't happy when we signed Eggert Jonsson in January, saying he was a Championship player. Well, that's a good measure. Our probably sixth (?) choice midfielder represents, at worst, an average Championship player...

We have a very strong squad in Championship terms. Sure, it's one that can be tweaked and improved upon and I'm sure over the next couple of weeks it will. It's only a few signings and little tweaks from being comfortably the best in this division IMHO. Obviously we're going for some drastic changes in style and there will be a few comings and goings, so I'm not expecting it to be hitting its potential overnight, but I'm feeling very positive...

You've taken pant wetting to a new extreme!

leedswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Football is an entertainment business and it behoves the management to sell the show. I maintain I am underwhelmed about how they are selling what is going on.

Really? I haven't supported Wolves through thick and thin for over 50 years to be 'entertained'. I support them because they're my team. I don't need Wolves to sell anything to me. I've been sold for such a long time.

S

SevenWolf

So for the first time in a few seasons we've made a few signings and also been linked with players of Premier league standards (Geromel etc), one of our signings from a previous season looks like he might finally be living up to his reputation, we have a brilliant new stand, a new manager with a new focus on how the team should play and we've managed to keep some of our very best players and that's underwhelming? Hmm....

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
There is currently a state of apprehension existing like a cloud over the club because of what happened and the current circumstances over players leaving.....this is naturally not conducive to the FGF's existence...

The thing is that the fans can help change it all by being ultra positive by accepting our position and being determined to build from here on. I get myself into a positive mood but the posts on here just make it dissipate before it even has time to grow some.

Stop feeling sorry about the situation and change the feeling....go on the front foot for a change as we are starting over by taking the initiative.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dont disagree that change takes time, don't disagree that maybe (its a big maybe) some of those players are good enough, don't even disagree that some things are better dont quietly BUT are Wolves fans so used to being left in the dark by their leader that what they seeand get has become normal.
We all know we need new defenders - where are they? One final piece of underwhelment - What can TC be possibly coaching them and what the hell is he doing the coaching for anyway? Good luck at Leeds boys

3rd of September. Be patient and things will happen. It's a new era, nothing will happen in a split second.

W

wolfyjoe

Please stop posting these negative threads. Just stop it.

This this this this this...

I can't not read molineuxmix but when i have done in the last couple of weeks i've been filled with dread at some of the utter oxygen thieves who follow my club. I'm praying we win or draw tomorrow, not because i'm worried about us dropping down the league, but because i can't stand to see the bile posted on here about Wolves if we don't compete.

B

BigBadWolfie

Mods: Can these negative posts be moved to a new forum as they are spoiling the mix? You might even be able to get the Samaritans to sponsor the new forum!

Surrey Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
a la last season the club got slaughtered by fans for building up expectations so it's no surprise they're not saying a lot this year

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mods: Can these negative posts be moved to a new forum as they are spoiling the mix? You might even be able to get the Samaritans to sponsor the new forum!

Totally agree let's just have this forum with one point of view, either you are positive or you don't have a voice. Democracy dies ......

C

Cradley Wolf

Maybe ya doctor can perscribe some Prozac. Jesus Wept empty glass or what?

Q

Queensland Wolf

Really? I haven't supported Wolves through thick and thin for over 50 years to be 'entertained'. I support them because they're my team. I don't need Wolves to sell anything to me. I've been sold for such a long time.

I have actaully supported Wolves for longer than you have and please dont tell me you were happy to support some of the garbage we have been witness to in the last twelve months. If you dont think football is entertainment I would love to see how you do categorize it. I certainly dont watch or support anything mindlessly but it sounds that you do.

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think any more PR is required and should not be necessary. Just look after the football side of things properly and no PR will be necessary. PR is needed to mask some serious shortcomings in the decision making.

Football is not 'entertainment' in the true sense. It is tribal. It is cultural. It is part of the social fabric of the communities to which they once belonged, before they were hijacked by greedy egotists and in the main became the playthings of those who could best afford to 'run' them. Some of these have been better than others, SJH being a wonderful example.

I do agree that the pre-seson has been handled in a $$$$ poor way though.

The 'transition' is not going well and will make it difficult for the new man to succeed, even if he is up to it.

More than ever this close season needed the club 'sorting'. It has not been 'sorted' anywhere near enough and much of the insane 'make-the-same-decisions-but-expect-different-results' noises have been coming from the usual culprits.

Too much is being expected from Stale it seems, with nowhere near the support he should be getting being evident so far. If the feared poor start to the season happens he may be drowned in the downward whirlpool.

He will, eventually, like all 'bossmen' appointments, sooner or later, carry the can while the 'trusted' Connors and Jeffs remain.

Dof and long term football plan please. For the long term good of the club.

leedswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have actaully supported Wolves for longer than you have and please dont tell me you were happy to support some of the garbage we have been witness to in the last twelve months. If you dont think football is entertainment I would love to see how you do categorize it. I certainly dont watch or support anything mindlessly but it sounds that you do.

I haven't been happy with the last 2 seasons performances, but that doesn't stop me supporting my team. As for categorising football - it's a way of life. If I want entertainment I go to the theatre or the cinema.

Back
Top Bottom