Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

This is the End: Reflections of a Season to Savor Forever

USA Wolf

President, Jordan Graham Fan Club
Reaction score
As the final minutes of the season wind down, I wanted to reflect, and offer it up for everyone else to join me if you also feel like waxing poetic. Let it all out! :D

I have never known a season like this, in all my short 31 sport-obsessed years of my life. Even as I cast an excited eye to the future, I find myself completely devastated that this ride is over.

I didn't know what would come after the Zenga Bus and Lambert debacles. We hired someone called "Nuno" and his resume brought up uncomfortable memories of the past year. But then I heard him speak, and I listened. Neves listened. Jota, Boly, Coady, Doherty---we didn't know, we couldn't know, what was happening. But we felt it.

I know we felt it because we sold out Molineux to welcome Middlesbrough. We had just worked over Leicester akin to a seasoned pugilist dancing around a novice. Our newest Wolf pounced on Boro's one moment of weakness and Wolves claimed their first kill.

We traveled to Hull and Derby and left no doubt. Each match was a refreshing step into crisp, clear water. Was this really happening?

Once Villa came into Molineux, the secret was out. I was 35,000 feet in the air at the time, my head literally in the clouds, and I relished every second of it. We were the Wolves and we were marching in.

Where were you for Bristol? You remember it as if it happened moments ago. We were tenacious. Fearless. Games which we would have lost a year ago became wins. A draw was now worst case scenario.

We were hoarding points and doing it with the flair usually reserved for the colorful spots at the top of the Premier League table. Every match seemed to bring something we never thought we'd see from a side in a Wolves shirt. Then we went to Fulham and Villa and faltered, but did not fall. Our detractors grew with every match. We found our way to Middlesbrough and lost a year of our lives to those final twenty minutes of stress.

I finally made it to football heaven hours before the Cardiff game. If I thought I'd made memories this season leading up to that moment, being in that stadium could only be described as an out of body experience. The intensity was so much so that the air seemed thick. I will never forget that moment---Neves' two steps, the net bulges, limbs and thunder. I wouldn't experience another goal like that for five long days. :D I have never heard a noise like I did as his ball hit the net against Derby. And I'll never experience higher highs and lower lows than those last five minutes against Cardiff.

Every big moment from this season somehow eclipsed the one before it. What the future will bring will be revealed in it's own time. For the present, all I can say is thank you. I have savored every moment from the day Nuno arrived. I can't wait for what's to come, but in the same breath, it hurts for this incredible ride to end.

These Wolves are immortal and now belong to history. COYW, I'll see you in the Premier!

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
My favourite season. Sad it’s over but really really excited for the future. Been lovely to share it with everyone on here.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m glad it’s over. I loved and hated this season. All I wanted was promotion. By Xmas I realized we were likely to go up but the waiting nearly killed me. At one point we knew that if we won the next 3 games we were up..... didn’t happen.....Jayus Wept......more waiting.
Finally....
“Home at last,home at last, thank God Almighty we’re home at last”
But the future looks to be incredibly exciting. It’s like a dream. Rich owners who want to be huge....not big, huge.
A great,fresh and exciting coach who is Champions league quality....wow.
A great team to enter the PL with......I have never felt so confident going up. I’m not starry eyed about next year but I think we will be ok......
And then we will be very serious contenders.

“Knock....knock...knock.....”
“What’s that?”
“That’s Wolves sir banging on the Big 6 door”
What a trip since Fosun bought us.....wow.

An extra bonus for me personally was finding Molineux Mix in early Feb. It filled in so many of the 5000 miles from home. The BBC or Express and Star or whoever are useless to a fan so far away but MM to me is a godsend. Thank you all for great posts and especially the pics and videos.

Last edited:

Andy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Definitely the best season of my lifetime.

Thank you to Nuno, his staff, the players, Jeff and Fosun, and the fans.

M

MonkeySpanner

It's been great, the best I can remember for a long time. Can't wait to see the new Wolves kit and sponsor The summer is going to be unbelievable with speculation on signings. Opening day in the PREMIERSHIP!:D

Oh! There's a World Cup in there somewhere.

Bjorn Star

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This season has been a dream. I can truly say, hand on my heart, I've had sincere belief that we'd win the league right from the second game of the season. We were sensational against Derby. I knew it wasn't a flash in the pan.

Villa away was my low point, I was so hyped up and it was such a disappointment. That was the only point I can say I felt any sort of doubt, and oh how we answered that days later against Reading and Burton.

I like to think this is just the start of the journey, but whatever happens I will never forget this season for as long as I live. Nuno's Champions. The transformation of Coady, the magic feet of Diogo, Cav and Costa, and of course a rather special wonderkid from Porto...

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
great season and real optimism for the future, pity about the last couple of games, but probably shows why theres no room for sentiment. A last chance for a few players to show they still have a place at Wolves, unfortunately not taken. Going to be an interesting close season as we prepare for the prem, a fond farewell to a few players and hopefully some new exciting names coming in. time to thank those who will be going for this season and wish them well for the future and welcome in the new faces and look forward to see how far we can push on next season

Scott in the Sand

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What a season, the best I’ve experienced, and as USA says what a ride.

In mountaineering we say the journey is the adventure not the summit gained.

Wolves have given us (mostly) highs this season and very few lows, but the journey was the thing.

“Life is truly a ride. We're all strapped in and no one can stop it. When the doctor slaps your behind, he's ripping your ticket and away you go. As you make each passage from youth to adulthood to maturity, sometimes you put your arms up and scream, sometimes you just hang on to that bar in front of you. But the ride is the thing. I think the most you can hope for at the end of life is that your hair's messed, you're out of breath, and you didn't throw up.” - Jerry Seinfeld

UTW.

Last edited:
S

Snarlingwolf

“Life is truly a ride. We're all strapped in and no one can stop it. When the doctor slaps your behind, he's ripping your ticket and away you go. As you make each passage from youth to adulthood to maturity, sometimes you put your arms up and scream, sometimes you just hang on to that bar in front of you. But the ride is the thing. I think the most you can hope for at the end of life is that your hair's messed, you're out of breath, and you didn't throw up.”
That’s a great quote, Scott.
It fair brought a lump to my throat.
As a matter of interest who actually said those words?

oldgold4ever

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Some of our football was sublime especially the time around November but for me our season was defined by the ‘BBC’ games - Bristol, Boro & Cardiff - when our boys stood up the face of adversity and Nuno became Churchill.

Norris

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As the final minutes of the season wind down, I wanted to reflect, and offer it up for everyone else to join me if you also feel like waxing poetic. Let it all out! :D

I have never known a season like this, in all my short 31 sport-obsessed years of my life. Even as I cast an excited eye to the future, I find myself completely devastated that this ride is over.

I didn't know what would come after the Zenga Bus and Lambert debacles. We hired someone called "Nuno" and his resume brought up uncomfortable memories of the past year. But then I heard him speak, and I listened. Neves listened. Jota, Boly, Coady, Doherty---we didn't know, we couldn't know, what was happening. But we felt it.

I know we felt it because we sold out Molineux to welcome Middlesbrough. We had just worked over Leicester akin to a seasoned pugilist dancing around a novice. Our newest Wolf pounced on Boro's one moment of weakness and Wolves claimed their first kill.

We traveled to Hull and Derby and left no doubt. Each match was a refreshing step into crisp, clear water. Was this really happening?

Once Villa came into Molineux, the secret was out. I was 35,000 feet in the air at the time, my head literally in the clouds, and I relished every second of it. We were the Wolves and we were marching in.

Where were you for Bristol? You remember it as if it happened moments ago. We were tenacious. Fearless. Games which we would have lost a year ago became wins. A draw was now worst case scenario.

We were hoarding points and doing it with the flair usually reserved for the colorful spots at the top of the Premier League table. Every match seemed to bring something we never thought we'd see from a side in a Wolves shirt. Then we went to Fulham and Villa and faltered, but did not fall. Our detractors grew with every match. We found our way to Middlesbrough and lost a year of our lives to those final twenty minutes of stress.

I finally made it to football heaven hours before the Cardiff game. If I thought I'd made memories this season leading up to that moment, being in that stadium could only be described as an out of body experience. The intensity was so much so that the air seemed thick. I will never forget that moment---Neves' two steps, the net bulges, limbs and thunder. I wouldn't experience another goal like that for five long days. :D I have never heard a noise like I did as his ball hit the net against Derby. And I'll never experience higher highs and lower lows than those last five minutes against Cardiff.

Every big moment from this season somehow eclipsed the one before it. What the future will bring will be revealed in it's own time. For the present, all I can say is thank you. I have savored every moment from the day Nuno arrived. I can't wait for what's to come, but in the same breath, it hurts for this incredible ride to end.

These Wolves are immortal and now belong to history. COYW, I'll see you in the Premier!
I like that USA, it’s pretty much how i feel about it all.

D

Deleted member 4023

Some of our football was sublime especially the time around November but for me our season was defined by the ‘BBC’ games - Bristol, Boro & Cardiff - when our boys stood up the face of adversity and Nuno became Churchill.

Whisky & a cigar before breakfast?

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m glad it’s over. I loved and hated this season. All I wanted was promotion. By Xmas I realized we were likely to go up but the waiting nearly killed me. At one point we knew that if we won the next 3 games we were up..... didn’t happen.....Jayus Wept......more waiting.
Finally....
“Home at last,home at last, thank God Almighty we’re home at last”
But the future looks to be incredibly exciting. It’s like a dream. Rich owners who want to be huge....not big, huge.
A great,fresh and exciting coach who is Champions league quality....wow.
A great team to enter the PL with......I have never felt so confident going up. I’m not starry eyed about next year but I think we will be ok......
And then we will be very serious contenders.

“Knock....knock...knock.....”
“What’s that?”
“That’s Wolves sir banging on the Big 6 door”
What a trip since Fosun bought us.....wow.

An extra bonus for me personally was finding Molineux Mix in early Feb. It filled in so many of the 5000 miles from home. The BBC or Express and Star or whoever are useless to a fan so far away but MM to me is a godsend. Thank you all for great posts and especially the pics and videos.

Ditto.
Still the best season of the 40 odd that I have seen.
I was on in Vancouver about 3 weeks ago for the last leg of our family cruise, it is without doubt one of the most beautiful cities I have ever seen, the only thing missing for me would be the Molineux and the future Premier League Champions.

D

Deleted member 3573J

I'm glad it's over, I've thoroughly enjoyed the season and even though I was always convinced we'd win the league it still have more nail biting moments than any season I can remember. The Boro and Cardiff games in particular in such a short period of time really drained me so it will be good to have a break from it and sit back and watch who we bring in, recharge and get ready for our attack on the top 4 next season.

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ditto.
I was on in Vancouver about 3 weeks ago for the last leg of our family cruise, it is without doubt one of the most beautiful cities I have ever seen, the only thing missing for me would be the Molineux and the future Premier League Champions.

Love Vancouver especially Vancouver Island, spent 6 fabulous weeks there a few years ago.

HICKO

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Waited a long, long time for us to win the 1st division again Hicko, it had better happen soon though!!
Here’s hoping kenny, what will be will be but I’m thinking we could be special.........again UTW

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brilliant summation. But can I say there's a "u" in colourful
In states and sometimes in Canada they spell it color
Ditto.
Glad you and your family had a great time and yes, Vancouver is beautiful. Next time if time allows would love to have a beer with you. Cheers

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just to get out of the Championship takes a huge effort over some 9 months. But to do it with such style by actually playing football mainly on the deck is what has made this season special. Nuno has been a revelation and no praise is too high for him. That and Fosun's financial capacity and sheer ambition for the club marks this as a special time for the club and its wonderful supporters.
But today's bad defeat is a reminder of the fine margins between success and failure in football
There is a hell of a lot of work to do to make up for 40 years or more of neglect and mainly failure. Not to mention some terrible football and useless managers and directors.

While revelling in all the current positivity I remain wary. The top six clubs are light years ahead. It may take another 5 -10 years to make serious inroads into their domination and that assumes Nuno hangs around and Fosun keep investing.

This summer's transfer activity is arguably the most important ever and will be pivotal to the way ahead. We need not one Neves but around three. Can the club attract a new quality of player in a ferociously aggressive market with huge sums available to spend generally? I think it will be much tougher than people realise.

Nevertheless we are up and on the up. At last Wolves are looking like a proper club again capable of upsetting the odds in the Premiership and taking some big scalps on the way. But consistent excellence rather than flash in the pan successes is what we seek.

Operation regeneration has barely started.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just to get out of the Championship takes a huge effort over some 9 months. But to do it with such style by actually playing football mainly on the deck is what has made this season special. Nuno has been a revelation and no praise is too high for him. That and Fosun's financial capacity and sheer ambition for the club marks this as a special time for the club and its wonderful supporters.
But today's bad defeat is a reminder of the fine margins between success and failure in football
There is a hell of a lot of work to do to make up for 40 years or more of neglect and mainly failure. Not to mention some terrible football and useless managers and directors.

While revelling in all the current positivity I remain wary. The top six clubs are light years ahead. It may take another 5 -10 years to make serious inroads into their domination and that assumes Nuno hangs around and Fosun keep investing.

This summer's transfer activity is arguably the most important ever and will be pivotal to the way ahead. We need not one Neves but around three. Can the club attract a new quality of player in a ferociously aggressive market with huge sums available to spend generally? I think it will be much tougher than people realise.

Nevertheless we are up and on the up. At last Wolves are looking like a proper club again capable of upsetting the odds in the Premiership and taking some big scalps on the way. But consistent excellence rather than flash in the pan successes is what we seek.

Great post......agree with most of it. I think however, we will be a very serious club and team in year 3 or so and rock solid after that.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Great post mate :)

Your first point about the style of football is what has made this season so extraordinary for me. I had begun to give up hope on ever seeing anything like this in my lifetime. Football can be beautiful ... and for most of this season it has been just sublime. The skill, panache and cutting, passing football has been an absolute joy to behold.

Next season will be tough ... no doubt. But, this feels a million miles away from our last forays into the top flight. The club is backed financially by ambitious owners who are running the club properly.

Our ace up our sleeve though is Nuno. A relatively young and ambitious, top notch gaffer. Very exciting times lie ahead. Can’t wait!

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

This made me go all tingly.

Deak77

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A great season,although they've put us through the ringer at times.From listening to the great performance at Derby early on I started to think we really could be on to something.

The win at Bristol City was probably my favourite moment, coming out on top so late in a match that had almost everything.

The games at Middlesbrough and Cardiff, although thrilling,must have taken years off my life,I've never known games like them in 30 years of being a Wolves fan.

The world class goals and play of the magic man, and the same from Jota,the brilliance of Cav and the assists and goals of Douglas,the defensive majesty of big Willy,the recovery of Costa from his injury,the renaissance of Coady,the industrious performances of the Doc,where do you stop?

I've gone ape at so many goals this season its unreal,Jota vs Milwall and Villa,Leo vs Villa,Bennett vs Bristol,Neves vs Sheffield Utd, Cardiff and of course Derby,amongst so many others.

We've had some nervy moments,through January and February,but after Villa away the team really knuckled down and got things over the line.

I really hope we consolidate and make some top signings over the summer and we make a really good fist of it in the Premier,I don't think I could handle another weekly struggle like in the Mick and DJ years.

WS10Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season 2013-14
Reaction score
As the great Winston Churchill once said:

"This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning".

I would like to think that this season, this glorious season, is merely the starting point. I have visions of my generation, 30 years down the line, weather beaten and world weary, gathering at Molineux every fortnight, and starting conversations with "well of course, you know where this whole thing started? It was when Nuno had a dream..."

You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
2017/18 was my 7th season seeing this glorious club strut there stuff in the flesh - and the last 9 months has defined not just my adore for a true giant, but for the City I've been incredibly proud to call home since August 2009.

Never one will forget Bono's goal which began it all; or the two which downed Bruce's boys at a cold but electric Molineux - the several pub visits during 2nd year of Studies in Sheffield - 3 of them being those special results v Blues Away, that night in Bristol and the even more startling and disbelieving occasion of Cardiff City who I'm glad will be treating us to Nuno V Colin Round 2 next term.

The several calls to Thommo on Signal 107 pre games also brought some honest but mainly exciting feelings out of me, including whilst on a Coach between Brugge and Brussels on a Uni trip, after our 5-1 drubbing of the other Wanderers of Bolton.

Then the 10 games in person - Leicester, Boro, Blades (Away), Villa, Wednesday (Away), Ipswich, Brentford, Swansea, Burton and Wednesday again: 7 wins, 2 draws and just the 1 defeat; standout being October 14th when the dream was starting to be realised.

Finally, I knew that one day the door we so badly wanted to barge open would be shifted - but never could one of dreamed it would be in the style, love and way it was. And thus, I am not afraid to say that my unbridled tears at 19:27pm on April 14th will be a moment long to saviour.

After all - what's not to saviour about the greatest 9 months I think I may have ever had, thanks to a club which is beginning to re-write history.

W

wolfkapiti

The best season,with the best football I have seen in my lifetime.That includes the fifties but I was only a nipper then.
Thank you FOSUN for bringing the sunshine back in our lives.And this is only the beginning of the fairy tale.
We all are waiting with baited breadth for 2018/19,and the next chapter in our fairy tale.

Back
Top Bottom