Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2024 transfer window thread.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The full statement posted above sounds better than the excerpts we had earlier. Not that I'd call them full of optimism but better.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
“Hi Gary, will you have any money to spend this summer?”

“Yeh, loads, we’re minted.”

Real masterclass in bargaining that would be…

Would you rather upset our fans and improve our negotiating position in the summer, or appease our fans and have to pay over the odds…

The truth I believe is somewhere in between. We will sell somebody high profile this summer, but we will have money to spend and improve the squad in several areas.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Protected by:
Open navigation

O'Neil | 'I want us to enjoy the moment with the supporters'

10th May 2024
Gary O’Neil wants his Wolves side to end their Molineux campaign on a high on Saturday so the players can repay the supporters for sticking by his team throughout the season.
With just one win from their last nine in all competitions, O’Neil admits the fans have endured an ‘incredibly tough’ spell watching the team, and as they step out at home one final time this season against Crystal Palace, the head coach is hoping his side can send the supporters home happy with a positive result.
On one final game at Molineux
“It’s been an incredibly tough couple of months for them [the fans], I can feel it, and I knew it would be. I was trying to explain after that Fulham game where we beat them at home when they had a fully fit squad and we had basically nobody available to us, that it was an incredible result and the next few months were going to be really testing for everyone – the players, myself and the fans – and it has been.
“We’ve still managed to come out of it with some credit, and I know when you look at it as a whole, one win in nine, then it looks bad, but there’s been plenty of positives in the tough time and the fans have been incredible.
“I did worry that because of the highs earlier in the season, that it would be a difficult spell for them, but they’ve stuck right by the team. The team kept fighting and with the noise around the place you wouldn’t know we were on a run of one win in nine. Their backing and the support has been incredible and we’ve tried to keep that connection by showing that we’re still ready to fight no matter what. There’s no quit here. No-one’s given up and we’re going to go right until the end.
“Tomorrow is the day I’m looking forwards to mainly for that. I want the game to go well enough so we can enjoy the final whistle and enjoy the moment with the supporters because I know how difficult the season has been for them. They’ve given us so much this year, I’m hoping and working my socks off this week to give them one last real good experience at Molineux and they can enjoy their summer holidays.”
On Neto and Bueno’s availability
“We’re looking pretty good. Santi only trained on Friday last week, so wasn’t available to start at City, but he’s feeling fine now. Pedro still won’t be involved tomorrow. He’s training but he’s maybe not done enough at high speeds to be able to guarantee that it’s not a risk for him, so there’ll be no Pedro.
“Apart from that we’re pretty good, obviously Daws is still out, but JJ [Bellegarde] is back around it and there are no new issues. We are in a stronger place, so we can start to see some more attacking intent, rhythm and flow to the team for tomorrow, although Channy [Hwang] and Matheus Cunha are still new back.
“They’re not up to full speed – Cunha’s calf is still causing him problems, but he’s desperate to be out there and helping the group, and Channy is still working his way back to looking more like the Channy we saw before the Asia Cup, but we’re in a much stronger place and hopefully we can show everyone that tomorrow.”
On the impact of injuries this season
“The momentum shows that it’s impacted us. There are no excuses because we know all teams suffer injuries, but to have no forwards available for a large part of the season is tough. The Premier League is a tough league to score goals in and even then, if we did manage to find some answers, it would cause us to be more exposed at the back, so we’d concede more chances, so it was a tough balancing act to find a way to be a Premier League table with no attacking players.
“But over the course of the season, 46 points so far, the opportunity to get to 49 tomorrow is a good season from where we were and where we’ve been. You look at the things the club have had to deal with this year, and it’s been a fantastic achievement from this group of players, but we want to push on. I don’t want it to be seen that we’ve done ok this year, and everyone can go off happy – it’s something we want to build on.”
On the threat Palace pose
“It’s going to be difficult because Crystal Palace are one of the form teams in the Premier League at the moment. The combination of a new coach and fresh ideas, and they’ve got Eze and Olise back, Guehi coming back, Roy Hodgson did a fantastic job at that football club for a very long time, so I think the changes in form are not only due to the change in coach, but I think Roy would also say that he would’ve improved results if Olise and Eze were back. They’re both massive to them.
“It’s a combination of having a good coach with fresh ideas and having their best players available for them, so it’s going to be a big test for us. They’re on a good run, but it’s the last home game of the season for us and we want it to be enjoyable for us and for our fans.
“We’re really keen to create a really good atmosphere and send everyone off from the end of the home season in a really positive frame of mind. To go out on home on a high after the achievements of the year would be fantastic for everybody, so there’s been a real focus on ourselves and the way we perform tomorrow.”
On the summer transfer plans
“It will be a conversation after the last game against Liverpool. I can speak to Jeff [Shi] with Matt [Hobbs] and we can see exactly what can and can’t be done this summer. I’m sure things will start to move and progress.
“I have a really clear idea about what I’d like to do with the playing group, as does Matt, but until we sit down and start to unravel it all in detail then it’s impossible to know at this stage what exactly we’re going to be able to do.
“It won’t be the same as last year, where we had to sell loads and make a huge profit, but I don’t expect it to be a spending spree. We’re going to have to work really well in the summer and do some really good business and find some stuff which helps us. But I can assure you, we’ll be doing everything we can and working very hard all summer to try and put the club in the best place possible to give the fans the best team we can come August.”

Oldgoldilox

Groupie
Reaction score
With the accounts.

They're saying we were on to lose £39m in the year that's just finished.

We are nowhere near that.
Where has the club stated that, our accounts are never released until March.

Losses for 2022 & 2023 were over £107m so we 2024 must show a profit or we'd be in points deduction territory (allowable losses notwithstanding, no clue what that figure is over the period).

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really hope Fosun **** off soon. . As like other clubs run by Chinese business men there is a clear lack of strategy.

We need a plan and a direction or who wants to play for a club lacking in ambition and ideas .
Guess we just need someone with a few hundred million to waste then,good luck with that

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dont see why anyone is surprised in what has been said
We have a £47m and a £68m loss on our books already
Idk what we made last season but expect a profit but not massive
We will bring players in and out thats where we are,end of
While in pure economics terms l reluctantly agree l would merely ask if you can name one PL team that has successfully operated on a sustained breakeven basis.

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just shows how tin pot, if it's true, the hierarchy of my beloved club is.
What are the odds on GON & Hobbs leaving in the summer?
Did you actually read the post above yours, with the full interview? It seems very reasonable and professional. We're not doing an Everton nor a Forest and we can't do a Chelsea or Man City. Reading the whole interview is reassuring. And let's hope it's a good day tomorrow too.

DJW

Reaction score
Protected by:
Open navigation

10th May 2024
Gary O’Neil wants his Wolves side to end their Molineux campaign on a high on Saturday so the players can repay the supporters for sticking by his team throughout the season.
With just one win from their last nine in all competitions, O’Neil admits the fans have endured an ‘incredibly tough’ spell watching the team, and as they step out at home one final time this season against Crystal Palace, the head coach is hoping his side can send the supporters home happy with a positive result.
“It’s been an incredibly tough couple of months for them [the fans], I can feel it, and I knew it would be. I was trying to explain after that Fulham game where we beat them at home when they had a fully fit squad and we had basically nobody available to us, that it was an incredible result and the next few months were going to be really testing for everyone – the players, myself and the fans – and it has been.
“We’ve still managed to come out of it with some credit, and I know when you look at it as a whole, one win in nine, then it looks bad, but there’s been plenty of positives in the tough time and the fans have been incredible.
“I did worry that because of the highs earlier in the season, that it would be a difficult spell for them, but they’ve stuck right by the team. The team kept fighting and with the noise around the place you wouldn’t know we were on a run of one win in nine. Their backing and the support has been incredible and we’ve tried to keep that connection by showing that we’re still ready to fight no matter what. There’s no quit here. No-one’s given up and we’re going to go right until the end.
“Tomorrow is the day I’m looking forwards to mainly for that. I want the game to go well enough so we can enjoy the final whistle and enjoy the moment with the supporters because I know how difficult the season has been for them. They’ve given us so much this year, I’m hoping and working my socks off this week to give them one last real good experience at Molineux and they can enjoy their summer holidays.”
“We’re looking pretty good. Santi only trained on Friday last week, so wasn’t available to start at City, but he’s feeling fine now. Pedro still won’t be involved tomorrow. He’s training but he’s maybe not done enough at high speeds to be able to guarantee that it’s not a risk for him, so there’ll be no Pedro.
“Apart from that we’re pretty good, obviously Daws is still out, but JJ [Bellegarde] is back around it and there are no new issues. We are in a stronger place, so we can start to see some more attacking intent, rhythm and flow to the team for tomorrow, although Channy [Hwang] and Matheus Cunha are still new back.
“They’re not up to full speed – Cunha’s calf is still causing him problems, but he’s desperate to be out there and helping the group, and Channy is still working his way back to looking more like the Channy we saw before the Asia Cup, but we’re in a much stronger place and hopefully we can show everyone that tomorrow.”
“The momentum shows that it’s impacted us. There are no excuses because we know all teams suffer injuries, but to have no forwards available for a large part of the season is tough. The Premier League is a tough league to score goals in and even then, if we did manage to find some answers, it would cause us to be more exposed at the back, so we’d concede more chances, so it was a tough balancing act to find a way to be a Premier League table with no attacking players.
“But over the course of the season, 46 points so far, the opportunity to get to 49 tomorrow is a good season from where we were and where we’ve been. You look at the things the club have had to deal with this year, and it’s been a fantastic achievement from this group of players, but we want to push on. I don’t want it to be seen that we’ve done ok this year, and everyone can go off happy – it’s something we want to build on.”
“It’s going to be difficult because Crystal Palace are one of the form teams in the Premier League at the moment. The combination of a new coach and fresh ideas, and they’ve got Eze and Olise back, Guehi coming back, Roy Hodgson did a fantastic job at that football club for a very long time, so I think the changes in form are not only due to the change in coach, but I think Roy would also say that he would’ve improved results if Olise and Eze were back. They’re both massive to them.
“It’s a combination of having a good coach with fresh ideas and having their best players available for them, so it’s going to be a big test for us. They’re on a good run, but it’s the last home game of the season for us and we want it to be enjoyable for us and for our fans.
“We’re really keen to create a really good atmosphere and send everyone off from the end of the home season in a really positive frame of mind. To go out on home on a high after the achievements of the year would be fantastic for everybody, so there’s been a real focus on ourselves and the way we perform tomorrow.”
“It will be a conversation after the last game against Liverpool. I can speak to Jeff [Shi] with Matt [Hobbs] and we can see exactly what can and can’t be done this summer. I’m sure things will start to move and progress.
“I have a really clear idea about what I’d like to do with the playing group, as does Matt, but until we sit down and start to unravel it all in detail then it’s impossible to know at this stage what exactly we’re going to be able to do.
“It won’t be the same as last year, where we had to sell loads and make a huge profit, but I don’t expect it to be a spending spree. We’re going to have to work really well in the summer and do some really good business and find some stuff which helps us. But I can assure you, we’ll be doing everything we can and working very hard all summer to try and put the club in the best place possible to give the fans the best team we can come August.”
Wouldn't it be considered normal (a minimum requirement) for Jeff to give his managers an instruction as to what parameters they are working within so as to avoid abortive work?
I can't believe they have put together a plan of what is required without any idea of whether it will be signed off.
Surely not!

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dont see why anyone is surprised in what has been said
We have a £47m and a £68m loss on our books already
Idk what we made last season but expect a profit but not massive
We will bring players in and out thats where we are,end of
FFP is assessed over a rolling three year period, so that first year of losses (21/22 - £46m) we could effectively equal this summer if we wanted to.

Not that we necessarily will as it isn’t necessarily prudent to constantly be skirting the boundaries as we saw from last summer’s situation.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nothing new so not sure why people are losing their minds over it now? Hobbs said a while ago we'd sell 1-2 players every summer to raise money for transfers

Madmalc

Reaction score
I can understand any statement with the last 2 games to play to be rather vague on what is being planned for next year.
Unless someone thinks declaring you might have a clear out and get rid of so many players would be motivational.
Even stating we've players' lined up to come in would put someone's nose out of joint.

WKFWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nothing new so not sure why people are losing their minds over it now? Hobbs said a while ago we'd sell 1-2 players every summer to raise money for transfers
It's been common knowledge for a long time even before last summer. If people think a team that might finish 13/14th will net spend 100m...

Cue twelve months time when we get a points deduction and that's also Jeff's fault

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did you actually read the post above yours, with the full interview? It seems very reasonable and professional. We're not doing an Everton nor a Forest and we can't do a Chelsea or Man City. Reading the whole interview is reassuring. And let's hope it's a good day tomorrow too.
I was referring to the fact that there has apparently been no contact with Shi about next season's targets at this point in time.
I fully accept that GON & Hobbs are likely to have had discussions but IMHO Shi should already be involved.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
“Hi Gary, will you have any money to spend this summer?”

“Yeh, loads, we’re minted.”

Real masterclass in bargaining that would be…

Would you rather upset our fans and improve our negotiating position in the summer, or appease our fans and have to pay over the odds…

The truth I believe is somewhere in between. We will sell somebody high profile this summer, but we will have money to spend and improve the squad in several areas.

On the flip side

"Hi Gary, will you have any money to spend this summer?"

"No, we're ****ing skint so feel free to lowball us for any of our players"

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was referring to the fact that there has apparently been no contact with Shi about next season's targets at this point in time.
I fully accept that GON & Hobbs are likely to have had discussions but IMHO Shi should already be involved.
You would expect a range of targets based on varying spend levels to permit contingency planning. Shi should be supplying the finance information.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On the flip side

Exactly what l said except l would add "and unsettle them" at the end of your last sentence.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On the flip side

I don’t think we’ve ever been taken for fools to be fair. Jota at the time people felt the price was fair. Neves with a year left on his deal we got good value. Nunes we did well to turn over a profit after a largely inconsistent season.

I have full confidence that if we do sell one of our “gems” this summer it will be on our terms. At least I hope so anyway!

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The issue for me is not so much the message i.e sell before we buy think we all kind of knew that but more to do with the fact surely all three O'Neil,Hobbs and Shi should be working together but yet like previous horror windows this still doesn't seem to be the case... Comes across abit unprofessional to me that O'Neil and Hobbs are planning stuff and Shi hasn't spoken to either of them about what they can do!

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It's been common knowledge for a long time even before last summer. If people think a team that might finish 13/14th will net spend 100m...

Cue twelve months time when we get a points deduction and that's also Jeff's fault
think youve missed the point a bit. Nobody is expecting us to spend lots. in fact most are expecting a net profit and some top players leaving.
There has been a bit of an overreaction to these comments but people just want the impression that plans and strategy are in place behind the scenes. It is becoming a worrying trend with small squad, failed Jan, Lopetegui leaving etc.
A meeting and clear budget/strategy should have happened months ago, not yet to happen. This is why people are apprehensive.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Where has the club stated that, our accounts are never released until March.

Losses for 2022 & 2023 were over £107m so we 2024 must show a profit or we'd be in points deduction territory (allowable losses notwithstanding, no clue what that figure is over the period).

They’ve told us via Madeley.

The allowable figures had us at £80m losses for PSR over two years.

They’ve claimed to him we will lose £39.7m this year just gone (23/24), of which £22m will be towards PSR.

That is incorrect. It’s a lie.

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is a plan in place…. Trust the process

GON & Hobbs aren’t going to give that away to the public they want to attract all the bids we can!
Hahahahahahahah. Fosun and plan don't fit in the same sentence. There is no plan, it's do the bare minimum and cross our fingers that the manager can work a miracle with a squad of 16 and no depth. What process would that be? The only process from where I'm sitting is spend nothing, charge the fans more and eventually sleepwalk to relegation when our luck runs out. We can't hope for a miracle every season to bail us out like JL did last season and GON has this season against the odds. There's only so many times you can do that.

WKFWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
think youve missed the point a bit. Nobody is expecting us to spend lots. in fact most are expecting a net profit and some top players leaving.
There has been a bit of an overreaction to these comments but people just want the impression that plans and strategy are in place behind the scenes. It is becoming a worrying trend with small squad, failed Jan, Lopetegui leaving etc.
A meeting and clear budget/strategy should have happened months ago, not yet to happen. This is why people are apprehensive.
No I don't think i did but I take your comments on board, I don't disagree with you if that is absolutely accurate but devils advocate in me is also wondering if that Hobbs and Gary keep in touch and Jeff is just consulted when we need to know what funds are available based on league position, how the finances are, what offers we have on the table and a number of other factors. If they want us to be self sustainable but we don't get any good offers for our better players then what can we do. GON said the same today didn't he? If noone comes in for Neto or RAN (at the level we would accept) then would you sell them just to fund other players, or change the strategy to loans/frees etc? Proof will be in the pudding over the summer. For me it's just good to hear we don't have to sell anyone, it will be by choice at the right price that we can reinvest. Worlds apart from last summer

Bjorn Star

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sell to buy but they’ll increase ticket prices probably by at least 10% and people will still lap it up. I wonder if we’ll go yet another transfer window without signinf a first team quality striker.

I know I’m whinging a lot now and that Gary is hardly going to say anything different but it’s all so tedious.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't really see any issue in what Gary has said. We all know our young talent is here to then get the big move to a CL club. As long as we reinvest the money back into the squad. Neto and probably Rayan will go. Season after João Gomes.

The issue is the bit in bold is not going to happen.

They said we didn’t have to sell Nunes but we didn’t even spend all that money he brought in despite the squad being so small.

You could maybe forgive them for that in the summer as there may be little time to get players in.

However, in January there was no money available!

So this money isn’t going to be reinvested, meaning you should see the problem.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think Gary is an honest guy and trust completely what he is saying. Anyone claiming it's smoke and mirrors is making a personal choice to not listen to him.

He was clear about what he wanted in January and he was honest in his disappointment that he didn't receive it.

If they had a master plan, with all key stakeholders working together in unison, it would be beyond ludicrous to undermine it in the media.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Protected by:
Open navigation

10th May 2024
I guess my take from this is that players will come in, but we don’t know what level of targets because it depends on who we sell and what we sell them for. Its nothing we didn’t know tbh and makes sense to be cards close to the chest tbf?

Hopefully them letting him/us down in Jan will be repaid. Would I be shocked if this summer was rougher than you/me/him might like is open to question?

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some people are overreacting. We are now under a self sustainability model accept the owners wishes or go support Man City if you want big money signings

Fosun are going nowhere when they bought the club they had a 30 year plan with a view to maximising return. Our precious football club is one.

Source said to me remember that we already have one deal lined up coming in. So let’s be positive about the future

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I mean lets say we sell Neto and Ait Nouri for £100 million early on, what happens? Surely 5/6 players come in? I do trust we’ll have scouted fairly well? If sales drag though…..?

Back
Top Bottom