Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doc struggled at FB in league 1.
He only thrived in a system where we had a third centre back to cover, and a deep lying midfielder to slot in.

Unless we're going back to a low block 5atb, the Doherty signing makes zero sense.
Correct

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can I put forward an argument that we have a set of forwards that cost a total of £140m that for a number of reasons haven’t hit the net as regularly as we needed them to.

I’m pretty confident they have the ability between them to actually deliver. What has happened for the last two seasons at least is as a team we’ve been unable to create the level and quantity of chances for them to convert.

I do think that backend of last y season was all about do what we could to scrape the results needed to stay up with a view to pressing the reset in the summer.

Julen has the tools in my mind, key questions are Fabio’s commitment and Raul & Sasa’s fitness. If these are resolved and they all stay we have a very capable set of forwards.

So unless we address the chance creation problem it really doesn’t matter who we bring in we’ll have the same issue.

The coach implementing a style of play that provides the goals is the priority. If we have positives on the questions above why would we buy ano CF?
Exactly

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doc struggled at FB in league 1.
He only thrived in a system where we had a third centre back to cover, and a deep lying midfielder to slot in.

Unless we're going back to a low block 5atb, the Doherty signing makes zero sense.
Noone struggled at fb in league one. Noone struggled in league one as we **** on the league.
I'm kind of getting tired of opinions not matching reality.
He was our player of the season at left full back, before getting fat, and then Nuno got him fit again and got the best out of him and was up there as one of our best players.
Since then he hasn't managed to keep a regular place at Atletico Madrid(that must make him ****) or Tottenham(though he has had his spells where he has looked impressive). I'm looking forward to having him back. There weren't quite as many hammerings when he was here.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Honestly remains to be seen if he’s worth £25m. Yes he looks like a fantastic player, but at this point he’s unproven at prem level. I hope all the pantwetters worried about him not signing, don’t turn on him after 5 games (if he signs)
I know it’s you-tube but if you take a look you will see he has skill.He even done the same things wen they payed Man City in the cup. Please dow reply with,but it was ony city’s reserves.There reserves would be top half of the premier.I’m really excited about him,but just my luck it will go tits up.

Rauls Headband

Reaction score
I know it’s you-tube but if you take a look you will see he has skill.He even done the same things wen they payed Man City in the cup. Please dow reply with,but it was ony city’s reserves.There reserves would be top half of the premier.I’m really excited about him,but just my luck it will go tits up.
The lads got talent without doubt, the thing is he's been given time on the ball to show it in the league he's playing.

He won't be given that time in the PL, so it comes down to how he steps up to adapt to that, and change his game to give himself time.

Thats what the best players do, why Mouthino for example, was able to play at the level he did for so long before his age did finally catch up with him.

JL seems to think he can, something tells me we'll find out whether its playing for us or someone else!

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In respect to the thread that has just been closed by vinny1971 asking where is the signs that we are prioritising the striker that we have been missing for three years.
Where is our ****ing striker !!!!!
Another season of around 2000 minutes sitting on a plastic seat watching us struggle to score costing me goodness knows what is a ****er.
Rant over . Breathing deeply. .......................................
I will bring caffeine tablets and a cushion.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Danjuma going to Everton on a season long-loan. Good signing for them (unless Spurs come in last minute again!)

Apparently, 2 PL clubs looking at Demarai Gray. Always looked quite decent whenever I’ve seen him play.

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
"JL seems to think he can, something tells me we'll find out whether its playing for us or someone else!"

He'll be playing for us or for someone else.

Well, that's the No ****, Sherlock Award sorted for this year...

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yes, Lopetegui's 22 games in charge saw us 10th in the table.

We have sold a lot of players and a few more will go, but we will still have most of the team that played the second half of last season.

Neves is the big loss from that team, although the way he was used here there wasn't that much of a drop-off when he was missing last season. Gomes could very well step up big time.

Kalajdzic is a big upgrade on Costa in the squad
Cunha and Sarabia will be more settled and has started off well in pre-season
We look to be bringing in more experienced backup for the squad
Lopetegui will have had his first pre season with most of the team

We are likely to go into the new season in much better shape than we did last year!
Im pinning hopes on the fact we looked better last year without neves in the team when he was out for suspension. We looked far more balanced with greater attacking intent.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Danjuma going to Everton on a season long-loan. Good signing for them (unless Spurs come in last minute again!)

Apparently, 2 PL clubs looking at Demarai Gray. Always looked quite decent whenever I’ve seen him play.
Can not believe they are going for danjuma after January....it's actually laughable after what he did to Everton.

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We will buy starters but we still need back up in every position. If we are letting Giles and RAN go to raise fu Sa to purchase the striker most of us want to see come we can’t just run with Bueno at LB. Think of it as Christmas lunch, you need the stuffing, chestnuts and bread sauce to accompany the turkey. They cost different amounts and get bought at different times!
And don’t forget sprouts
Not everyone likes them , but they are the cheapest thing on the Xmas plate and Xmas lunch isn’t Xmas lunch without them

Doc and Cresswell could be our sprouts

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am sometimes negative but more optimistic now we are footballing people in the club rather than sellout sellars.

Plenty of time and plenty of things will happen sit back and enjoy doc done, Elvedi I’d say 75% going to happen, scott we will hear before the weekend. All my own estimates but good things are coming

We have reasons to be positive, more will leave more will come in that’s how Hobbsy said it.

The real negative thing is about how hard our fixtures are especially at home.

Brighton, Liverpool, City, Villa, Newcastle, Spurs our first 6 home league games all top 8 clubs.. Takes us up to December. It’s hard on paper seeing us win more than 1 of them but we shall see trust in JL!!
Didn’t we beat Liverpool, Villa and Spurs at home last year and only a last minute wonder strike stopped us beating Newcastle? Maybe wait a little before getting so negative…

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Noone struggled at fb in league one. Noone struggled in league one as we **** on the league.
I'm kind of getting tired of opinions not matching reality.
He was our player of the season at left full back, before getting fat, and then Nuno got him fit again and got the best out of him and was up there as one of our best players.
Since then he hasn't managed to keep a regular place at Atletico Madrid(that must make him ****) or Tottenham(though he has had his spells where he has looked impressive). I'm looking forward to having him back. There weren't quite as many hammerings when he was here.

I think a lot of people confuse a player's ability based on the overall fortunes or form of the team.

Doherty looked nothing more than an average fullback in a very average team in The Championship. The fact he got player of the season at left back speaks volumes to how average we were prior to the Fosun takeover.

He was then very good, in a side that performed very well under Nuno.

It happens a lot. We have been a poor team for a few seasons now. It doesn't make all the players we have poor. Especially our forwards. Cunha and Sarabia haven't become terrible players the moment they joined us. They just haven't been able to shine in a poor side. Same with Neto. We know how good he is, he just hasn't been good in a poor side.

Lopetegui's job is to change that and set up to get the best out of good players! To make the most of their strengths and try to minimise the effect of their weaknesses.

Doherty is a good player. If Lopetegui wants him, it's because he has an idea of how his strengths can make us better.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I wanted gray when he came back to the league.

Has good stats for goals and assists.

Yes he can be patchy, but his patches of form contribute more than 95% of the wide options from last season

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Im pinning hopes on the fact we looked better last year without neves in the team when he was out for suspension. We looked far more balanced with greater attacking intent.
I hope we will look better without Podence and Traore in the team.

Rauls Headband

Reaction score
"JL seems to think he can, something tells me we'll find out whether its playing for us or someone else!"

He'll be playing for us or for someone else.

Well, that's the No ****, Sherlock Award sorted for this year...
Thanks I love awards! Especially in the context of the serious competition of the other 16,254 posts on this thread.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wanted gray when he came back to the league.

Has good stats for goals and assists.

Yes he can be patchy, but his patches of form contribute more than 95% of the wide options from last season
thought iwobi looked better than gray

SydneyWolf26

Groupie
Reaction score
I totally agree, think the lad looks fantastic and would be a great signings for us. I think I was more getting at the fact that it’s an unknown, for me (Doc or otherwise) anyone who wants to be here and is happy to fight for the badge, regardless of their value, is a step up from some of the crew last season

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They are buying starters we are trying to add experience inside a squad and being clever about it with HG quota.

Whether you like it or not we have our RB and LB starters and we are adding a better quality player if believe reports at CB to compete opposed to backup.

Our strategy is different. You cannot compare.

The level of pantwetting is unreal.
And of course, ignoring the fact that we made 3 ‘first 11’ signings over the course of last season totalling £112m. Does that then mean that Bournemouth can’t compete with us financially?
Or is it rather that teams go through varying spending cycles, that are a mixture of FFP, cash flow, owner investment/ambition, and squad balance?

We’ll ignore that £27m of that 112 was a total disaster, and the 2 £40m+ players haven’t looked like that level yet, but it’s still a fact that we spunked huge money on signings intended to improve the starting team over the last year.
Now people are wetting because the behemoths of Bournemouth are buying starters for less than half those fees that makes us some kind of penniless joke club.

Back
Top Bottom