Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Stale wants to trim squad but......

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
.. with only a few days to go unless we have a number of signings we could be very short of good cover. So how many and who will come in.

GK. Ikeme no 1 at present. Hennessey injured unlikely to start for a few months. Mccarey not ready. DeVries wants to go and if he does one new keeper must come in.

RB. Talk of Zubar going. No sign of Foley. That leaves Doherty. Left with no proven left back.

LB. We all know its the one position we really need to improve.

CB. Johnson and Pizza. Stearman if stays is backup. Elokobi in an emergency. Berra likely to go. Stale has said he wants Batth out on loan. Craddock it appears is the token face of Wolves now. Moyo injured.
So if berra goes def. need cover.

Midfield. Stale has said at some point we have enough midfielders.
Henry and Doumbia. Davis not ready to take the mantle yet. O'hara injured. Miligas, Egg ready to go. Edwards injury prone and debatable skill.

Wide midfelders?? New guy and the Pole. Hunt and Hammill to go. Forde???

Forwards. Doyle may go. SEB not effective. Sigurdarson not being played as first choice, Nouble not being played as second choice. If Doyle goes we are not covered here either.

We will have injuries, suspensions and players who may hit poor form.

This is not a criticism it is an observation based on reports outlining what is happening within the club. Stale talks about a squad of 22-25 but needing a squad of 18 each match with injuries and suspensions that could be a stretch. I know some of the kids could come in but Forde and Davis hardly raised the bar against Derby.
Personally i think that once the window is closed Stale will have to have kept some of the players seemingly outward bound and include them in his squad.
Again girls this is not a have a go at Stale thread. I am just interested in your thoughts.

TheRetroChief

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think if the Derby game showed anything, it is that we are incredibly light in the centre of midfield. A CM pairing of Eggy and Wardinho is the stuff of nightmares.

W

WasStefan

Seemingly no interest in-

Berra
Hunt
Jonsson
Milijas

Hammill attracted slight attention for Notts Forest. Nothing major.

Can't see 3 of those 5 leaving if I'm honest.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think if the Derby game showed anything, it is that we are incredibly light in the centre of midfield. A CM pairing of Eggy and Wardinho is the stuff of nightmares.

I'd have to agree.

To be fair I don't think anyone really could have predicted that Davis would have such a poor game but he's young and he's going to have games like that.

I suppose we have 4 CM's (DE, DD, KH & TD) but the fact we had to shift DE/DD out wide, like you said, highlighted how light we are in the middle of the pitch.

I would like another CM & Winger (if Sako doesn't sign) though.

C

Craddockinho

Unless we can find a stellar signing at left-back I would leave Ward and Elokobi there and focus on a right-back and a couple of midfielders, wide or central.

W

WV1Wolf

I think you make some good points and the overhaul that Stale is overseeing proves how much dross that he has been left with.

I don't see how he can do it all during this window and I feel that it will take maybe until next summer for him to have his own side playing his style.

We may well see some of the players that performed poorly under Mick improve and make telling contributions this year so his overhaul wont have to be as severe but only time will tell.

I think we will see a gradual change in stale's current array of backroom staff as he wants to create a legacy. I can see changes being made right from the Development side right up to TC's level.

Its a massive job he has on his hands and a few signings in this window wont change the way the playing side of the club has been run for the last couple of years.

Whatever happens over the next 6-12 months he's got my full backing and he will have this place rocking again.

D

Danwolf

Not quite sure why people keep fixating on LB. Both Ward and Elokobi are more than capable performers at this level and personally I would rather see a RB than a LB. Unless we sold Ward or Elokobi I would say that reinforcements in other positions should take priority.

bigbluewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Elokobi is not capable at this level. His performance against Derby showed that. He gave the ball away far too easily and looked ponderous when on the ball. His best contribution was hitting the advertising hoarding on the Steve Bull upper with a clearance.

L

long ball man

oh okay...Margreitter; could just as well be called ****tail. I don't give a Skoobs for these arbitary nicknames

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not clear whether Sako can play central midfield or not. Doesn't seem to be a playmaker as such but attacking midfielder.If he can play in the centre and is effective than that is one less problem. Also he offers wing cover methinks.

Hoping also for at least one decent full back before Friday and a 'marquee' striker.

D

Deleted member 3545

Seemingly no interest in-

Berra
Hunt
Jonsson
Milijas

Hammill attracted slight attention for Notts Forest. Nothing major.

Can't see 3 of those 5 leaving if I'm honest.

Berra, Hunt and Milijas are all in their last year of contract so i guess some clubs will just hang on until January and make a small bid or wolves may let them leave on a free.
Hammil i wouldnt be suprised to see leave before the deadline and Jonsson back to scotland on loan

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not quite sure why people keep fixating on LB. Both Ward and Elokobi are more than capable performers at this level and personally I would rather see a RB than a LB. Unless we sold Ward or Elokobi I would say that reinforcements in other positions should take priority.
Elokobi is League 1 at best and Ward cannot defend which cost us dearly last season. We deffo need a LB.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Elokobi is League 1 at best and Ward cannot defend which cost us dearly last season. We deffo need a LB.

I'd say Elokobi could do a decent job at this level but he gives away the ball far too often as does Ward, to fit into SS's style of play. Both need to be replaced.

J

JR's Boots

Solbakken's biggest challenge is to get rid of the dross Mick left behind. We'll end up having to pay their contracts up. Look at the reaction of Villa fans to Henry being linked with them in the summer, Sunderland to Ward and now Celtic with Berra. The only desirable players have gone and we're left with the unwanted.

We saw on Saturday, the impact of losing most of our talent; a team barely able to hold its own against lowly, cash strapped Derby. Solbakken has started the much needed revamp but we are still a LB, CM (if we don't sign Sako), RB (if we don't redeploy Henry there) and a striker (especially if we lose Doyle) away from any chance of promotion.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have a feeling we could be stuck with the McCarthy deadwood for a while, who would really want them? Maybe league 1 teams but they couldn't afford to pay their wages.

W

WV1Wolf

Solbakken's biggest challenge is to get rid of the dross Mick left behind. We'll end up having to pay their contracts up. Look at the reaction of Villa fans to Henry being linked with them in the summer, Sunderland to Ward and now Celtic with Berra. The only desirable players have gone and we're left with the unwanted.

We saw on Saturday, the impact of losing most of our talent; a team barely able to hold its own against lowly, cash strapped Derby. Solbakken has started the much needed revamp but we are still a LB, CM (if we don't sign Sako), RB (if we don't redeploy Henry there) and a striker (especially if we lose Doyle) away from any chance of promotion.

Henry Right Back are you off your rocker:eek::eek::eek:

I know he played there a little for Stoke and maybe half a game for us there but seriously!!!!!.

J

JR's Boots

Henry Right Back are you off your rocker:eek::eek::eek:

I know he played there a little for Stoke and maybe half a game for us there but seriously!!!!!.

Seriously. I know he played RB briefly under Mick but he really looked the part. He has every attribute required as a RB; discipline, tackling, reasonable pace, agression and a decent right peg. What he lacks in CM such as vision, speed of thought and movement is less of an issue.

W

WV1Wolf

It's a Mick McCarthy idea

Square peg in a round hole and all that.

Why don't we try and put a natural right back in at right back and leave maybe our second best Centre Midfielder in say Centre Midfield.

I recon that may work a little bit better.

D

Danwolf

I disagree. Both are adequate Championship full backs. They could be replaced by better i'm sure but I would argue that there are more pressing concerns in other areas of the pitch.

D

Danwolf

Seriously. I know he played RB briefly under Mick but he really looked the part. He has every attribute required as a RB; discipline, tackling, reasonable pace, agression and a decent right peg. What he lacks in CM such as vision, speed of thought and movement is less of an issue.

Surely Saturday's match highlighted what happens without Henry in midfield. He is needed in the centre not at RB.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 3545

Henry Right Back i think someone has been playing to much champ manager lol

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd say Elokobi could do a decent job at this level but he gives away the ball far too often as does Ward, to fit into SS's style of play. Both need to be replaced.
If, as you say, Elokobi & Ward give the ball away far too often they will never be any good regardless of level. Just as important as giving the ball away is the fact that neither can defend and the LB is supposed to be a defender.

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I disagree. Both are adequate Championship full backs. They could be replaced by better i'm sure but I would argue that there are more pressing concerns in other areas of the pitch.
Our left flank was continually targeted last season as savvy managers knew it was our weakest link. Berra may not be the best CB but he was often made to look much worse than he is by the inadequacies of our LB, be it Ward or George.

J

JR's Boots

Surely Saturday's match highlighted what happens without Henry in midfield. He is needed in the centre not at RB.

That's because the current replacements for Henry are dreadful, rather than that Henry is top notch.

As with the arguments over which of our useless defenders is the best, we've spent so long watching dross, we can't see the wood for the trees. Doumbia in three games, as with Frimpong before him showed up Henry and the rest of our mediocre bunch for what they are.

B

bridgnorthwolf

That's because the current replacements for Henry are dreadful, rather than that Henry is top notch.

As with the arguments over which of our useless defenders is the best, we've spent so long watching dross, we can't see the wood for the trees. Doumbia in three games, as with Frimpong before him showed up Henry and the rest of our mediocre bunch for what they are.

This!

Henry is adequate with a good team of players around him. He will hold back while Doumbia (previously Frimpong) is allowed more freedom.

Henry is fine at that, doesn't make him a bad player, but certainly doesn't make him a great one either. Given our current sqaud he is by far the best man to play that role next to Doumbia and is not a high priority to replace, but he COULD be upgraded without too much difficulty.

Think a midfield backbone of Doumbia and Henry is good? Imagine what Doumbia and Traore could do! Or Doumbia and Frimpong etc etc etc...

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I agree with this and add that when O'Hara is fit the obvious place he'll be challenging for is Henry's. If that were to happen I'd rather have Henry at RB in place of Zubar than on the bench.

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
when o'hara is fit again i think some on here are going to be soooooo disappointed.

Tarcisio Mifsud

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think if we had a squad of 1000 players, some people would still say we require some more. I think we already have over 30 players.

Back
Top Bottom