Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Small time Jeff strikes again.....

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Arsenal, a bigger club than us used to do it.
Spurs, a bigger club than us have done it.
Leciester, bigger club than us have done it.

Give over man. Embarrassing.
You can add Liverpool (Torres to Chelsea for example)

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves spent a summer trying to lowball teams for players, some of them extremely public (Kieffer Moore), the same owners who have lowballed fixing the ground, lowballed backing managers... and you think they wouldn't do the same with a players contract.
There’s quite a few claims there but I don’t agree with any of them.
It’s ok to differ.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In the clubs defence, from memory, these negotiations seemed to begin roughly around the time Adama had his golden spell for a couple months around Christmas 2019. That Adama is worth 100k. The Adama before and since isn’t.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but if only we had sold Adama for 50-60m summer 2020 and kept Jota, we would be in a much stronger position now.

I’m also not having we couldn’t get 20m still for him at the end of this season. Selling now makes absolutely zero sense, unless it’s funding Sanches. Which we all know it isn’t. Why we didn’t sign Sanches in the summer still completely baffles me. So short sighted.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seriously Hogan, I asked you this before and didn't get a response.

In the summer, you said:
- the executive team have been '**** poor'.
- Shi had lied to us (mentioned on multiple occasions)
- We'd had '5 meh/bad windows' (this presumably a six
- You were 'genuinely struggling to sleep' because you were so angry
- They 'deserve all the criticism they get'

Sorry to pick you out on this as do think you're a good, and balanced, poster. You gave them until the end of the window, which was fair, and then you clearly weren't happy as I've picked out above and there could have been more!

Of course, you might have just changed your mind, fine. But, why? Are your feelings on the way Wolves are run really defined by half a season worth of positive results? Again, sorry for going through old posts as a bit of a ****ty thing to do, it's nothing personal against you, just remember you were very vocal about them after the window and now you're completely the opposite and I don't get it.
Fair question. I suppose the main answer is that at that time we were losing every week. Now we are winning most weeks. I was very anti-Bruno at the beginning. I felt Nuno was very unfairly dismissed and, at the time, his replacement was losing every week, whilst Nuno was winning every week at Spurs. I felt we were sleepwalking into relegation, having shot ourselves in the foot.

Other opinions I held were:
Kilman is ok but very much overrated by Wolves fans.
Saiss was nowhere near the required level
Moutinho was finished

Fortunately, Bruno knows more about football than me and the squad we had (+Sa, who I also felt was a meh signing) were actually a top half time. Thus, the deficiencies that I felt the transfer window failed to address turned out not to be huge deficiencies.

To be clear, I'm not sure whether that was luck or judgement. I'm sure we scouted Sa, but he's turned out to be (on stats) Europe's best goalkeeper over half a season. Certainly fortunate!

So I suppose my view of the playing squad was far more negative than how it has played out.

Of course there is more than that. I feel we messed up the Summer window and then went into PR overdrive. Of course the executive team lied to us. Every exec team lies to every set of fans.

I live in constant fear of going back to the championship. I genuinely have nightmares about it (no exaggeration!) My feelings of doom were heightened by what I perceived to be an impending relegation battle. Now that we have vanquished those demons and will play a 5th season in the PL, I'm bloody delighted. Of course I have ambitions for us to win the league, but so do Notts County fans. I'm realistic in that I think 8th in the PL is the nadir of our long term prospects without a Saudi buy out (which I would hate!).

A few more unpopular opinions I have:

- Big squads are impractical for teams outside the top 6. Id rather a core of excellent players and Chiqiunho type signings than a bloated squad of experienced pros.

- 45 mil was excellent value for Jota at the time.

I got a bit rambly there but thems my thoughts! Don't mind being questioned at all as I love to chat ;)

I just take umbrage with hyperbole because - as I always say - these are the good times. If people arent enjoying football as a Wolves fan now, I dare say they never will!

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I LOVE Troare. He's a unique talent, he's a fighter, strong as an ox, he's fast as **** and his turn of pace is literally unrivalled, he's a great dribbler and... his weaknesses are overstated by his detractors. Some say he's not got a football brain (which I honestly think from some, only some mind, is a racist evaluation) but I think playing to one's strengths is a very intelligent idea. I concede the lad can't shoot.

All that said, if he wants gone then ta ra in a bit. He's a sub at the mo, and a fairly ineffective one at that. I've no problem with Shi sanctioning his sale at >20m, if that's all that's being offered.

I think Adama himself is making a mistake if he moves to Spurs. They're after a wing back, which he's not. And a striker, which he's shown he's not. The lad's a superb winger, and isn't adaptable enough to play those other positions. His agent needs to find the right place for him but s/he's going for short term gain.

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The bigger picture is that we have to sell to buy and that Fosun have lost interest.
First part may be true - second part is your opinion, not fact.
Money does not guarantee success but it's the way you judge the ambition of an owner. For a few years now Fosun have not put anything in (fine, up to them) but the fact people still pretend it's some sort of bigger strategy is hilarious.
It may be how you judge the ambition of the owner, I don’t necessarily hold the same view.
Did derbys owners show ambition? hasn’t ended well either way.
I’ll be 100% honest, I’d rather have the club financially sound than someone using it as a plaything. You no doubt disagree, but imo there are inherent dangers in the way some clubs are run. A pack of cards liable to fall at any point Once the owner loses interest

We're selling Traore because we need to in order to bring new players in.
Again this is Your opinion. We are selling him, imo, because he’s refusing to sign a new contract and financially it makes sense to do so. Is it the best deal? No. Is it a bad deal? No.
Its a reasonable deal for an inconsistent player, running down his contract.
it’s probably a mixture of the two (so I’ll meet you half way ;))
Again, I'm not complaining at this, but stop pretending that it's anything other than owners who no longer have ambition and are ensuring everything is funded by trades
I think they’ve been pretty clear recently that they want the club to be self sustainable. Have they toned back on the rhetoric? Yes. Does it mean ambition has gone? Not in my opinion.

Don’t think we’ll ever agree on this one

Ned Stark

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The situation from today strikes me as very similar to the one at the start of last season. Cashed in on
Jota, and never really replaced him, condemning the club to an undermanned and somewhat demoralised
squad, which got found out pretty quickly.

This is worse in my view, because of the abymsal timing, right on the cusp of a big game tomorrow, (it appears
Shi couldnt even wait the weekend out), and on the edge of Wolves' best chance of a top 4 finish in fifty years.
Yes 50 years.

Its close to impossible to understand how such a move could be sanctioned. The players wanted Adama to stay, as
did the coach, knowing his importance to the team.

Not only has Shi acted irrationally in terms of the club's interests, he has also acted directly against the express wishes
of the manager and players.

Not how you build a happy organisation.

The alternative was to retain the player, and move him on in the summer when the trainer had time to develop
a replacement, and everyone's happy.

Shockingly stupid.
I notice some people have written considered and thoughtful responses to what you have posted.

But I can’t be bothered with that so I’ll just say this is the biggest load of *******s I have seen on here for a long time and since *******s is what is largely traded on here day-to-day then that takes some doing.

Last edited:

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The situation from today strikes me as very similar to the one at the start of last season. Cashed in on
Jota, and never really replaced him, condemning the club to an undermanned and somewhat demoralised
squad, which got found out pretty quickly.

This is worse in my view, because of the abymsal timing, right on the cusp of a big game tomorrow, (it appears
Shi couldnt even wait the weekend out), and on the edge of Wolves' best chance of a top 4 finish in fifty years.
Yes 50 years.

Its close to impossible to understand how such a move could be sanctioned. The players wanted Adama to stay, as
did the coach, knowing his importance to the team.

Not only has Shi acted irrationally in terms of the club's interests, he has also acted directly against the express wishes
of the manager and players.

Not how you build a happy organisation.

The alternative was to retain the player, and move him on in the summer when the trainer had time to develop
a replacement, and everyone's happy.

Shockingly stupid.
I think you’ve either been taking LSD or taken complete leave of your senses. Maybe even both.

I could understand/forgive this kind of drivel if it came during the dark days of the lower leagues ... but in our most successful period for decades?

“Shockingly stupid”. Really? Get a grip boy.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm going to judge this transfer ultimately on whether we bring in a midfielder in the next week or so, pure and simple. If we let Traore go and do no business then it's a total shambles and Bruno will be rightly annoyed. If, however, we let Adama go and bring in a position that we need then fine. Over to you Jeff, get on with it... Selling a player and getting no one in won't wash. We're getting money in, no excuses and nowhere to hide.
“Nowhere to hide”.

Are you a hit man?

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bloody hell. Some folk love any chance for a Moan. I'll miss Traore as it's fun having the 'fastest' player. He's probably the third best winger at the club and he wants to be one of the highest wages. Doesn't correlate. All well and good in theory, but what about when the 3rd beat striker or 3rd best LB start letting their contract run down in expectation of a big raise? Suddenly you have the likes of Tal Ben Haim on a massive salary!

Big criticism is that we held on to him for too long. I'm all about selling players at the right time, and we waited far too long to sell Adama.
Re your last sentence. Jeff had no idea when he offered Traore a raise that his form would drop off.
Had Jeff known that, he wouldn’t have wanted Adama to stay or offered more money.

Cant blame Jeff for Adama’s performance.

there may be clubs out there who are thankful they didn’t buy Traore back then. ……they may think the dodged a bullet.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A lot of us were not Adama fans, but I was and still am.

People went on about how flakey he was, and went on about the ‘end product’ too, but I was ALWAYS proud that he was a Wolves player.

Here in Ireland supporters of other clubs always mentioned him before any other Wolves player, and I was proud of that too.

As a football fan you want to watch the player who bucks the sideways and backwards trend and here was a player in the Old Gold who just went for it…… got us up the pitch with the sheer skill and energy of his movement!!

I’ve supported the Wolves since 1965, and in that time, I can only remember 1 other player who had that electric effect on the support and that was my beloved Waggy!

As long as Adama was here, Waggy was still about, getting hold of the ball and then the atmosphere lifted immediately!

Yes he didn’t sign again, so be it, he’s getting a deal from Levy which is better than Jeff’s, good luck to him! But, how many players have we now that put that electric current into the stadium as soon as they get the ball???

We might end up as a better team overall as a result of his departure, but, for all those games in the old gold, when he brought Molineux to its feet, I want to thank him. Sincerely.

He’s a nice genuine guy and I wish him well for the rest of his career, with or without us.

Brockmoorwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It's threads like this that really help me understand that some people do actually like Mrs Browns Boys, they like Boris Johnson and think Brexit was a good idea
Agree with the last two. Imagine Corbyn as leader and his anti vax brother.

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What with the loans from Macquire Bank, I'm hoping that this sale can continue to pay off the loans to our esteemed leaders.

Far more important than investment in the first team tbf.
Oh where to start on this one……. :D:D:D

D

Deleted member yltz11841

It's threads like this that really help me understand that some people do actually like Mrs Browns Boys, they like Boris Johnson and think Brexit was a good idea
Nobody likes Mrs Browns boys though or would own up to it

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Adama is always fun to watch and in four seasons has been occasionally brilliant. But there are a number of players more important to the team than him, and he's not extending his contract.

End of.

Players come, players go. It's the way of football.

Liverpool sold Coutinho and reinvested, they signed the players that took them to the next level. I bet there were a few Liverpool fans calling their owners "small time" for allowing the sale.

Good grief, Wolves fans. Can we just have one week without overreacting to half a news story? No wonder so many people are upset, we've thrown so many toys out of the pram that we have none left to throw.

GV Wolf

Reaction score
We’re going to really struggle to replace a winger whose goals and assists this season are as high as his.
It’s not necessarily the amount of his goals and assists it is also the number of opposition players he takes with him and the spaces that provides for our other players, as well as the free kicks he gets. Do you go to the games?

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There are some surprising claims made.

"somewhat demoralised" squad... evidence?
"Its close to impossible to understand how such a move could be sanctioned. The players wanted Adama to stay, as
did the coach"... if Bruno is that keen on Adama, why does he rarely start him?
"Shi acted irrationally"? With Adama's contract running down, his refusal to sign a new one and only one suitor for him by all accounts?
"the express wishes of the manager" (he's a head coach by the way)? Evidence?
"Not how you build a happy organisation" - evidence? All I have seen is a group of players who seem highly motivated and supportive of each other.
"The alternative was to retain the player, and move him on in the summer" - yes, that is a possibility but how do you know he would have the interest of Spurs/any club, or indeed be saleable at the suggested current price of £20m minimum?
Great response to some of the rubbish posted on here

Brockmoorwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It’s not necessarily the amount of his goals and assists it is also the number of opposition players he takes with him and the spaces that provides for our other players, as well as the free kicks he gets. Do you go to the games?
Motd highlights for wolves as you know is slim pickings.

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Why wouldn't you criticise the club if money isn't spent?

Our squad isn't good enough, our manager isn't happy and prices went up across the board for fans. Making a £25-30m profit over the season on transfer sales in that situation would be unacceptable.
Mainly because im bored of doing so. Its clear that our aim is to finish mid table every year and sell the players for profit.
I also believe the highest we finish this year is 8th and if we sign someone for £20 million the highest we'll finish is 8th. Would rather the £20 million went to reduced ticket prices and fixing up the stadium but thats cloud cuckoo land.

R

reanswolf

Fair question. I suppose the main answer is that at that time we were losing every week. Now we are winning most weeks. I was very anti-Bruno at the beginning. I felt Nuno was very unfairly dismissed and, at the time, his replacement was losing every week, whilst Nuno was winning every week at Spurs. I felt we were sleepwalking into relegation, having shot ourselves in the foot.

Other opinions I held were:
Kilman is ok but very much overrated by Wolves fans.
Saiss was nowhere near the required level
Moutinho was finished

Fortunately, Bruno knows more about football than me and the squad we had (+Sa, who I also felt was a meh signing) were actually a top half time. Thus, the deficiencies that I felt the transfer window failed to address turned out not to be huge deficiencies.

To be clear, I'm not sure whether that was luck or judgement. I'm sure we scouted Sa, but he's turned out to be (on stats) Europe's best goalkeeper over half a season. Certainly fortunate!

So I suppose my view of the playing squad was far more negative than how it has played out.

Of course there is more than that. I feel we messed up the Summer window and then went into PR overdrive. Of course the executive team lied to us. Every exec team lies to every set of fans.

I live in constant fear of going back to the championship. I genuinely have nightmares about it (no exaggeration!) My feelings of doom were heightened by what I perceived to be an impending relegation battle. Now that we have vanquished those demons and will play a 5th season in the PL, I'm bloody delighted. Of course I have ambitions for us to win the league, but so do Notts County fans. I'm realistic in that I think 8th in the PL is the nadir of our long term prospects without a Saudi buy out (which I would hate!).

A few more unpopular opinions I have:

- Big squads are impractical for teams outside the top 6. Id rather a core of excellent players and Chiqiunho type signings than a bloated squad of experienced pros.

- 45 mil was excellent value for Jota at the time.

I got a bit rambly there but thems my thoughts! Don't mind being questioned at all as I love to chat ;)

I just take umbrage with hyperbole because - as I always say - these are the good times. If people arent enjoying football as a Wolves fan now, I dare say they never will!
Great post.

And I am not saying everything is perfect or rosey but overall, its pretty bloody good and a lot of it is down to Jeff Shi.

Back
Top Bottom