Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Ruben Semedo

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Mais Futebol, a Portuguese news source, now reporting Wolves will sign Ruben Semedo, pending 'final details of bureaucratic issues', for €10-12m.

Wolverhampton is negotiating the hiring of Rúben Semedo. The Maisfutebol know the English emblem is resolving final details of bureaucratic issues before closing the negotiations with the central Olympiakos.

Now represented by Gestifute, the Portuguese international has expressed in recent days a strong interest in being traded in the summer market, especially after the Greek team has failed to access the group stage of the Champions League.

Semedo, which has a contract in force until June 2023 with the Greeks, is valued at approximately 15 million euros, but the transfer should be carried out between 10 and 12 million euros.

Aged 27, Rúben Semedo has been with Olympiakos since 2019/20, having previously represented Sporting, Villarreal, Huesca and Rio Ave. In Greece, he won three titles, two of which in Leagues.

A controversial signing if it materialises given his history, as he's currently serving an 8 year ban from entering Spain for charges of attempted murder and kidnapping in late 2017. He has apparently changed a great deal since then, and knows Jose Sa and Daniel Podence from his time at Olympiakos. If he didn't have such a chequered history, no chance Wolves are getting him at this price, with his obvious quality not in question. I'm not entirely sure how he gets a work permit, but I assume it must be possible based on these negotiations.

Hugh Jarse

Reaction score

Mais Futebol, a Portuguese news source, now reporting Wolves will sign Ruben Semedo, pending 'final details of bureaucratic issues', for €10-12m.

A controversial signing if it materialises given his history, as he's currently serving an 8 year ban from entering Spain for charges of attempted murder and kidnapping in late 2017. He has apparently changed a great deal since then, and knows Jose Sa and Daniel Podence from his time at Olympiakos. If he didn't have such a chequered history, no chance Wolves are getting him at this price, with his obvious quality not in question. I'm not entirely sure how he gets a work permit, but I assume it must be possible based on these negotiations.
Serious offences for sure. As a society we should rehabilitate offenders, it's good for both the offender and the wider community.

Good luck to the lad if he signs.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Serious offences for sure. As a society we should rehabilitate offenders, it's good for both the offender and the wider community.

Good luck to the lad if he signs.
If you listen to what the Government has repeatedly said they will attempt to rehabilitate our own previous offenders. They have zero intention of permitting the importing of those from other countries. Indeed they are looking to deport foreign nationals who commit offences here. That's why l think, as a fully fledged bureaucrat of over 30 years myself, that the "bureaucratic details" will be an absolute show-stopper.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you listen to what the Government has repeatedly said they will attempt to rehabilitate our own previous offenders. They have zero intention of permitting the importing of those from other countries. Indeed they are looking to deport foreign nationals who commit offences here. That's why l think, as a fully fledged bureaucrat of over 30 years myself, that the "bureaucratic details" will be an absolute show-stopper.

I mean, it’s a pretty bad wrap, and the fact he’s been banned from going back to Spain for 8 years is the kind of thing which is normally a red flag for visa applications.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seems a pretty unnecessary effort to me. No doubt dip**** fans will come up with some stupid chant celebrating his criminal record as well.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure how he gets a work permit, but I assume it must be possible based on these negotiations.

It'll come down to lawyers, I'm sure. Wolves will take legal advice, then if the wp is rejected they'll use that advice to form their appeal. Regardless of any views on the character of the player, I'd hope they have putter deals in the offing too, just in case.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It'll come down to lawyers, I'm sure. Wolves will take legal advice, then if the wp is rejected they'll use that advice to form their appeal. Regardless of any views on the character of the player, I'd hope they have putter deals in the offing too, just in case.

At €10m, I doubt there are any better deals they can do or afford to do in this transfer window with that UEFA FFP ruling looming, as Semedo is a massive upgrade at CB for us. I hope they don't have all their eggs in one basket, but this article is worded to suggest it is very close to happening.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I mean, it’s a pretty bad wrap, and the fact he’s been banned from going back to Spain for 8 years is the kind of thing which is normally a red flag for visa applications.
The guy would struggle to get a visa to visit the UK for a holiday let alone live and work here.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wrong. At the end of the day, although legal advice is involved, the decision comes down to the Home Secretary. To challenge that decision you would need to prove either that her view was irrational and one which no normal informed person could come to or that the legislation had not correctly been complied with.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good signing offers us something we lack.

Mosquera/Coady Semedo Kilman is a tasty back 3

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The guy would struggle to get a visa to visit the UK for a holiday let alone live and work here.
I don't doubt the sincerity of your view, but I've always thought that there are one set of rules for ordinary mortals and another set entirely for those with money in immigration matters the world over. As Mr Semedo will already have a significant net worth and will be paid a pretty penny too on top if he were to join us, I suspect that the Home Office would not try to stymie such a hire. They've been less than picky when it comes to Russian oligarchs and all sorts of other shady characters with money setting up domicile in the UK!

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't doubt the sincerity of your view, but I've always thought that there are one set of rules for ordinary mortals and another set entirely for those with money in immigration matters the world over. As Mr Semedo will already have a significant net worth and will be paid a pretty penny too on top if he were to join us, I suspect that the Home Office would not try to stymie such a hire. They've been less than picky when it comes to Russian oligarchs and all sorts of other shady characters with money setting up domicile in the UK!
I do not and never have worked in immigration. Having said that my comments are based on rather more than "sincere views".

The same HO unit which advised on Abramovich's last visa renewal application would almost certainly be involved. Abramovich is now resident in Israel.

Last edited:

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Well, sounds like just what we need and someone we shouldn't touch with the proverbial bargepole.

Tony

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"Semedo finds Semedo in plenty of space. Semedo passes it back to Semedo who is put under pressure so he passes it back to Semedo". .. ........

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The same HO unit which advised on Abramovich's last visa renewal application would almost certainly be involved. Abramovich is now resident in Israel.
I think it's fair to say that Abramovich has been involved in some very dodgy stuff indeed and over an extended period. Mr Semedo was guilty of some petty wannabe gangsterism at a young age, which, whilst no doubt traumatising to the victim, is highly unlikely to be repeated and he would be a large net contributor to HMRC through his wages if he worked in the UK. I can see why an exception might be made for him, but you seem to know the HO better, so I'll defer to your assessment.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well, sounds like just what we need and someone we shouldn't touch with the proverbial bargepole.

Interesting that the article mentions maisfutbol and that they’ve been getting stories off him for years.

Might mean this could be on despite what WW says. You’d hope we wouldn’t waste our time on it if he had no chance.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it's fair to say that Abramovich has been involved in some very dodgy stuff indeed and over an extended period. Mr Semedo was guilty of some petty wannabe gangsterism at a young age, which, whilst no doubt traumatising to the victim, is highly unlikely to be repeated and he would be a large net contributor to HMRC through his wages if he worked in the UK. I can see why an exception might be made for him, but you seem to know the HO better, so I'll defer to your assessment.
Think about what you said about the victim then look at p30.

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting that the article mentions maisfutbol and that they’ve been getting stories off him for years.

Might mean this could be on despite what WW says. You’d hope we wouldn’t waste our time on it if he had no chance.

Mind you, we did this with some of Lage's backroom team thinking everything would be okay. 2 of his original first choices didn't get permits. Wouldn't put anything past Wolves at the moment!

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mind you, we did this with some of Lage's backroom team thinking everything would be okay. 2 of his original first choices didn't get permits. Wouldn't put anything past Wolves at the moment!
Nor would I! But who were those two?

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think about what you said about the victim then look at p30.
Well, if the club is serious about this guy, sounds like maybe they haven't done the due diligence in the immigration rules area and that they're maybe in for a shock. Of course Mr Lage will be used to a Europe with free movement, a Europe which the UK is no longer part of since last year.

I would hope the club doesn't embarrass itself by applying for a working visa it has no realistic hope of getting.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Wrong. At the end of the day, although legal advice is involved, the decision comes down to the Home Secretary. To challenge that decision you would need to prove either that her view was irrational and one which no normal informed person could come to or that the legislation had not correctly been complied with.

And after the Home Secretary denied it, any challenge would be on the basis of building a case from legal advice. Or...you know...they just make it up without speaking to any lawyers.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cant say I remember watching him play often. Remember him getting sent off against us.

But on the highlights, I like how his hair bounces as he runs. Also looks mobile, aggressive and powerful. Loves a big tackle too.

Could see him playing very well in a back 3

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cant say I remember watching him play often. Remember him getting sent off against us.

But on the highlights, I like how his hair bounces as he runs. Also looks mobile, aggressive and powerful. Loves a big tackle too.

Could see him playing very well in a back 3
Hoping the back 3 ends as soon as we sign a centre back

Reaction score
Don’t care if he’s the greatest player in history, don’t want this scumbag.
Luckily you have no influence over the decision.
If the board are willing to sanction this transfer and Bruno plus a lot of players that already know him want to work with him everyday then surely that’s a better indication of his personality and worth to the team rather than some news paper articles.
Protest outside the ground, don’t go to the matches, won’t make any difference, he will improve the team for the time he’s here and that’s all the majority of people are looking for at the moment

da_ken_min

Reaction score
Charged with attempted murder, makes a plea agreement and confesses to kidnap, robbery, wounding and illegal firearm possession. Previously waving said gun around in a bar and threatening people. Suspended sentence and ban from Spain still in force.

Sounds like he’d be a great character to have in the dressing room. Someone for Coady to have a laugh with and the young lads to look up to.

I sincerely hope this is just a rumour. Not a good idea in any way, and also would end in further embarrassment when his visa was rejected.

Back
Top Bottom