Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

RIP Terry Venables

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great England manager. I’m still surprised he got the job as he’s not the typical FA boring safe choice. RIP El Tel.
I do seem to remember there was actually a lot of objections in the halls of the F.A to him getting the job, because of his ‘extra business activities’.
I still think Graham Kelly was a ****ing spineless toad but he did get that appointment right.

Hsvwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Proper football man. Such a shame we didn't win Euro 96, the best football England have ever played.
So sad …. From a football perspective gave me the best two weeks of my life …. Travelling down to London in a convoy of fellow Wolves fans from the Great Western to every England game at Euro 96

RIP and thanks

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So sad …. From a football perspective gave me the best two weeks of my life …. Travelling down to London in a convoy of fellow Wolves fans from the Great Western to every England game at Euro 86

RIP and thanks
Euro 96, surely. I went to Wembley when Gazza scored 'that goal' against Scotland.

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very sad news. I saw him play for Chelsea several time in the early 1960's along with Bonetti, Brabrook, Greaves, Tindall and Tambling. I always admired him as a player and a manager. RIP El Tel, you certainly left a very good mark on the game.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m still surprised he got the job as he’s not the typical FA boring safe choice. RIP El Tel.
That's what I liked about him, antithetical to the bland cardboard cutout the FA would love to appoint from a factory line in perpetuity. Seemed like a bloke you could enjoy a pint with. Plus, his side's Euro 96 run was what kick-started me into following Football in earnest. I still remember running out into the street after we scored the fourth against Holland, every house all the way down the road was roaring. I beheld the power of Football to unite for the first time.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gotta be up there with Bobby Robson as my favourite England manager.

Should have had a tilt at the World Cup as well.

I didn’t know he was ill so was a real shock to me.

You know you are aging when your heroes as young man start dying.

Rest in Peace El Tel.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
the man who arguably started the the corruption at the top and we are paying for it now, I don't like whitewashing even for someone who has died.

hypocrisy !
What the **** are you on about? The English F.A didn’t need Terry Venables to be corrupt. If you didn’t have such a hatred, you’d accept how Venables patched up the growing disconnect between the England team and the fans and reignited the passion we had all lost.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
RIP Terry.
Many years ago I met him at Gatwick Airport and had a chat.
Stole was our manager at the time and I asked what he thought of him.
He replied 'He was a good player ".
That spoke volumes really.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great manager that improved teams, won trophies, won La Liga and the Spanish Cup, at a time Barca hadn't won La Liga in about 10 years. Semi Finals with England, did excellently at Crystal Palace, getting them promoted and to their highest ever League position. He did well as Spurs too.
Rest in peace Terry.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
the man who arguably started the the corruption at the top and we are paying for it now, I don't like whitewashing even for someone who has died.

hypocrisy !

Not the right time to post that and not respectful of a recently deceased person

You are better than that mate.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How sad.

But what an impact he's left - there must be a very wide generation of people for whom the summer of 96 was one of the most fun periods of their life - I was reasonably young for it, but it was just perfect. The sun was out, we played some great football, and were obviously about to bring football home.

He was on a 96 nostalgia programme a couple of years ago, looking very happy running a nice hotel in Spain.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My English friend lives on Majorca. In his heyday in Spain the locals referred to him as Terry Ven Ab Les

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its only when you hear this sad news you realise that El Tel hasnt been a pundit, or on TV for a few years now. You naturally think they are living a nice retirement, and you dont hear so much about their decline in health.

a great England manager, but strangely I remember him most as Barcelona manager and having Lineker and Mark Hughes playing for him.

RIP El Tel.

Back
Top Bottom