Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Player's allegiance to TC

B

Bostin

It seems as though alot of the players value Connor way more than we do. So much so, that Karl Henry has come out and said that we need to keep him to have any chance of keeping our top players.

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport.../05/04/skipper-connor-is-key-to-wolves-stars/

So is this his personal opinion, basically inferring that he'll leave if TC is sacked? Is he saying it so that they players aren't 'ruffled' and kicked out of their comfort zone by a new manager? Or is it clever club PR churning our reasons to keep Connor?

I can't quite decide to be honest! I'd much rather a new manager come in and start from scratch, and if players leave because of that then so be it. They obviously don't want to be here.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

PeteWolf

Players will always publically back the manager and tell the world that they've got some great new ideas/training has been enjoyable again.

Easiest way to get in the team, and whoever's in charge next season the same faces will be coming out with the same statements.

dane

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Keep TC or Henry will leave?

Cya Karl, need any help with the suitcase let me know

UEAwolf

Reaction score
PR?

Players with hundreds of thousands, if not millions of pounds in their bank accounts are so desperate to play for a relegated club (incurring a significant wage reduction in the process) that they are happy to be a mouthpiece for the evil Jez?

Or perhaps they respect Terry Connor and want him to stay?

I think we're being slightly too cynical if we believe the former.

B

Bostin

Fair point, but it's near the end of the season and KH knows he's one of the first names on the team sheet at Wolves regardless.

W

we8wba

just players worrying about there first team place

no offence karl but next season we'll be playing 4-4-2 majority of the time, this will mean one less CM

one of those CM's will be attacking/creative sort min

other probably a defensive all rounded player, with the emergence of Davis henry's spot has to be at risk

H

Hatch End

I'm a full time cynic.

I think that someone at the top of the club wants to keep Clippo as manger or at the very as second in charge. Don't know why, as no-one at the top has any knowledge or expertise in running the football side of a FOOTBALL CLUB.....and I do include Moxey in that critisism.

The players? well I'm inclined to agree that generally while they are under contract they tend to tow the party line and anyway they aren't going to do anything but praise their existing manager............they want to be on the pitch and won't knock the man who picks the team!

D

Dorset DeWolf

This is a real $$$$ing stupid thing to say from Henry

Taffywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What a pile of C***, Just 3 pts from a possible 33pts and he should have the job full time? you're having a laugh Henry. If all the players wanted him to have the job so badly they should of played better and won some games.. If the players want out..Bye Bye..
The club should be dictating to the players not the other way around..

F

FLEET WOLF

There is probably a case for keeping TC at the club in some capacity-perhaps Henry is hinting at that, albeit he is promoting the case for him to be manager.

B

BB Wolf

Interesting to see the E&S calling Henry our captain I thought Johnson held that dubious honour?
I too am worried by the positive comments being trotted out on a daily basis by one player after another calling for Connor to get the job permanently as has been said the results are simply not good enough and we lost a number of "easyish" 6 pointers on his watch
I personally don't know enough to comment on him being retained as a number 2 but he does not strike me as managerial material and even if he got us up he certainly has proved that he is incapable of keeping us up

Seasider

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My gut reaction to this is if the players want to go, so be it. Our club needs a fresh managerial voice and new ideas. Connor and the existing players have achieved nothing but relegation this season - they really are not in a position to dictate the future.

Morgan, prove your worth...give us a new manager with new ideas who will employ the players he thinks can achieve promotion.

B

Bostin

My gut reaction to this is if the players want to go, so be it. Our club needs a fresh managerial voice and new ideas. Connor and the existing players have achieved nothing but relegation this season - they really are not in a position to dictate the future.

Morgan, prove your worth...give us a new manager with new ideas who will employ the players he thinks can achieve promotion.

My thoughts exactly. Good post.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If some of them are so keen to go if their beloved TC leaves then they can $$$$ off!

D

Deleted member 4023

We all know where this is going: Moxeys spin on TC's performance, the players dropping hints that they all love him (and will stay allegedly if he's still manager). Our target Hughton is off to the baggies - hence the deafening silence from the 2 M's. Pant wetting time again for them as they deliberate what to do next - the only course of action that won't cost them any money is to keep the clueless one in charge

Moira Stewart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another day, another story about how we should keep Connor. I am now resigned to the fact he's going to be in charge next season. Unbelieveable from our board, every time they do something stupid and you think it can't get worse.....

They get everything they deserve, which will be bottom half next season played out in front of a half full stadium.

IrchyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Henry is far ahead of Davis

At the moment.
It's not as if Davis has peaked yet, though. As for KH, where else has he to go - per ardua etc. - if not to stay on here? I do not see a Premiership club entertaining any interest in a relegated DM so his only options remain sideways moves if any new manager doesn'e fancy him. Better to back the Devil you know (or the guy whom you have the negatives of in that compromising situation :) )

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You can currently get 20/1 for TC to be our manager next season, with Albions's sponsor bodog!

If you can't bring yourself to place a bet with them, William Hill are offering 16/1.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/wolves-specials/next-permanent-manager

He's 16/1 at a fair few places, it's temping but I just can't do it, even if I'd put a massive amount of money on I'd still never want it to happen.

I know it would soften the blow and all that but I just can't, we could all see it happening in Feb, but most of us didn't want to believe it and it's the same this time around!

mikic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me, the only reason every player has come out through the woodwork to praise TC is because post Albion parting with Woy, Houghton has fallen through, and we are going for TC

I am very, very worried

W

WasStefan

Simple solution. Sack Conor first thing on 1st September morning. :D

R

Redditch Wolves

They only want him because they have it so easy under the clown, sack him now!!

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Quite agree.

Personally, I believe there is a manager in waiting, but as TC's current managerial contract doesn't expire until the last day of the season (someone correct me if I'm wrong). then there won't be an announcement until at the earliest the day after.

M

Monkey Man

WHY IS HE STILL AT THE CLUB MR MORGAN?

That is the only question i want asking the day after the season ends.

D

DJW

I'm gonna get slaughtered for this :eek: but.

TC took over at an impossible time for even an experienced manager. As the 'this is not a job for a novice' suggested. It would obviously have been better to have appointed a new face and hope that this would of worked, but in all honesty i think it was too late to turn things around from the mess Mick left behind.
The fact that we have beed comprehensivly relegated is NOT a true indication of whether TC might become a decent manager in the future. His career path/qualifications are quite impressive and i think he may well suprise us all, if given an opportunity elsewhere, and go on to be a sucessful manager.
I would like us to appoint OGS or someone like him, but also think its a little over the top the slagging off of TC when just about very other manager would of failed, and may only have done marginaly better than him because of the 'new face/honeymoon period' impact a new manager usually enjoys and which he was obviously not going to benifit from..
Sits back and waits a kicking :eek::p

C

Costin_wolf

If they need tc to stay for them to stay they can all go for all I care, we can rebuild and frankly the club comes first if they don't wanna stay to be a Wolverhampton Wanderers player why are they here?

S

Shergar

All this pro-TC stuff from inside the club is very worrying.. don't forget these are the players that actually went to the board and asked for TC to be manager (if the spin is to be believed) these are the same players who in work in such fantastic unison with their first choice manager, the captain gets p***ed and we get a 3 point return from 33.
TC loves the team, the team loves TC. what BS!

T

Tettenhall Wolf

Bottom line is that we need a proper manager, so hopefully will do that.

The club will decide if the players stay or not, not the players, so Karl needs to wind his neck in.

The players are clearly worried about breaking up their nice cushy little number! Well it needs to be broken!

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Bostin

He's 16/1 at a fair few places, it's temping but I just can't do it, even if I'd put a massive amount of money on I'd still never want it to happen.

I know it would soften the blow and all that but I just can't, we could all see it happening in Feb, but most of us didn't want to believe it and it's the same this time around!

The £138 in my bank in February says I believed it!

I'm going to stick a fiver on, and hope to god that I never see it again. Will be the best fiver I ever spent!

RJs Tankard

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn't the players supposedly have an allegiance with Mick too - yet as soon as he was sacked, players started criticising Mick saying that training was too physical, etc?

If the players really liked COnnor as much as they say, they'd have given 100% on the pitch to get the results needed to keep him. Instead, apart from a couple of occasions, they played like they couldn't be bothered. Hardly a way of fighting to keep the manager.

UEAwolf

Reaction score
My first choice would be Chris Hughton.

However, if the players enjoy working with Connor, if there continues to be progress in our philosophy of playing away from McCarthy's kick and rush and if he is allowed (or required) to take on experienced backroom staff - I would be behind his appointment.

The other candidates hardly inspire confidence. Lee Clark who failed at Huddersfield, Peter Reid whose last success came years ago, Gus Poyet - where we would have to spend a seven figure sum to buy out his contract and still has a lot to prove or Darren Ferguson - ditto.

Terry Connor might not be such a bad choice after all.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It always seems be Henry ,Ward and Edwards saying this three players unlikely to be leaving anyway. Have Fletch or Jarvis (the 2 players most likely to move) come out in support of Connor?

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm gonna get slaughtered for this :eek: but.

TC took over at an impossible time for even an experienced manager. As the 'this is not a job for a novice' suggested. It would obviously have been better to have appointed a new face and hope that this would of worked, but in all honesty i think it was too late to turn things around from the mess Mick left behind.
The fact that we have beed comprehensivly relegated is NOT a true indication of whether TC might become a decent manager in the future. His career path/qualifications are quite impressive and i think he may well suprise us all, if given an opportunity elsewhere, and go on to be a sucessful manager.
I would like us to appoint OGS or someone like him, but also think its a little over the top the slagging off of TC when just about very other manager would of failed, and may only have done marginaly better than him because of the 'new face/honeymoon period' impact a new manager usually enjoys and which he was obviously not going to benifit from..
Sits back and waits a kicking :eek::p

I agree with you, and if KH has spoken to Fletcher, Jarvis and Doyle, etc about their futures, which is almost certain he has, and bases his quote on those conversations, then the choice is this:

1 Their salaries will halve and unless they get on quickly with the new manager, they will be off and we cannot replace them with anyone of the same standard, because they are Premier class. So, however good the new manager is, he will have problems getting us up with less talent at his disposal.

2 TC stays and so do these players, so even if he is not as good a manager as most people think, he will have a squad talented enough to get us back and might even addd to it with some decent signings.

If the players really think TC is going to be a good manager, then, because they know more about Football than we do, then they are right. The team do look easier on the eye than under Mick, they do seem better organised, and their main weakness - poor defending is still there to see but not his fault. If TC knows this, he will sell some defenders to get others in who are better. He may also have differed with Mick about the abilities of Mouyokolo, he may have made Bassong think seriously about coming here, he may have disagreed with Mick about Johnson. We just don't know.

But Henry's hint has got me thinking that TC may have far more about him than we realise.

W

Woffles

For me, the only reason every player has come out through the woodwork to praise TC is because post Albion parting with Woy, Houghton has fallen through, and we are going for TC

I am very, very worried

They've been praising him since the day he got the job - long before Hodgson getting the England job.

I'd hope Hughton was/is on our shortlist - but even if he was it'd only have been an option if Blues don't go up regardless of whether Albion are interested or not.

It's pretty obvious that our plans (or lack of) won't become clear until after our last game and possibly the Championship play offs. No need for a conspiracy theory.

B

Bostin

My first choice would be Chris Hughton.

However, if the players enjoy working with Connor, if there continues to be progress in our philosophy of playing away from McCarthy's kick and rush and if he is allowed (or required) to take on experienced backroom staff - I would be behind his appointment.

The other candidates hardly inspire confidence. Lee Clark who failed at Huddersfield, Peter Reid whose last success came years ago, Gus Poyet - where we would have to spend a seven figure sum to buy out his contract and still has a lot to prove or Darren Ferguson - ditto.

Terry Connor might not be such a bad choice after all.

The £2m or whatever it costs to buy out a managers contract will be pocket change in comparison to the reward of TV money from being in the Premier League.

Just to put £2m into perspective, we paid near enough that for Greg Halford :eek:

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Stephen Hune has now come out asking for TC to be given the chance to become manager and, much as most on here don't rate him, his argument reinforces the view that TC has started to get us playing a more flowing style:

Hunt is among a large group of players impressed with the way Terry Connor has tweaked matters behind-the-scenes since taking the helm from Mick McCarthy in February.

And the winger believes it is the players to blame for the fact that the differing preparation has not been turned into positive results.

"Of course the results have been disappointing for us," he accepts.

"But TC has changed things since he came in.

"He has done what he thinks is the best for us and the players have responded to that.

"It's us that go out on the pitch and I think TC has deserved better results than what we have shown.

"It has been frustrating for him because he is very professional and goes through everything with a lot of detail.

"He has also been good to work with for me and has been understanding of my situation.

"We just have to crack on and try and get these last two results for him as well, maybe to put him in the frame a little bit more.

"I think he has earned his right to be manager of this football club if that's what the Board decide.

"He has had a positive impact even if the results don't show it.

"People might think he'd just carry on what Mick had done and things would be the same.

"Mick had some great success here but Terry has come in and been his own man and done his own thing.

"He has come in and put his own stamp on it and the players have really enjoyed working with him.

"It's obviously disappointing results haven't been better for him and that's probably more from us letting him down on the pitch.

"The training and preparation leading up to games has been spot-on which is strange to say given the results and maybe we have to look at ourselves in the mirror sometimes and blame ourselves - I know that's what I will do."

geowolf

Reaction score
The best way the players can show their support for Connor is by putting on committed and inspiring performances for the last couple of games. Give us a view of what the future might be. And not being 3-0 down after fifteen minutes might help.

Back
Top Bottom