Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Not so Great Expectations

floydstreet

Reaction score
A mess, lack of clarity and total lack of clear communicaction.
it’s hard to find a clear positive

we have lost our best player, sold so much depth and brought nothing additional in.
on the flip surely surely Neto, Cunha, Matteus, kaladjic, Fabio will contribute more this season…
and there seems to be some degree of hope..

As we approach the last two weeks of the window in dual hope.
firstly that we sell nobody else of scale (silva, matteus, kilman) and secondly that we find a way to bring in a few players (loans, obligation to buy loans etc) particularly centre half, right attacker and maybe a striker.

So logically we cannot start the season with optimism or lofty aims. We were in a relegation battle last season and haven’t strengthened. But there is one element for me with regards to having more humble goals. When I look back at wolves and think about our best seasons, performance, wins, those that left me with the best feeling and those when the crowd were really helping.

Almost all I can think of, are when we have been the underdog. It’s in the City’s nature and soul, we make a much better underdog. How many times have bottom of the table beaten us, yet we manage to then beat a top team. The club, players and fans drown under waves of expectation but I think thrive under injustice or a battle. So if there is anything positive to take (I’m trying here), it’s that we start expecting a battle, everyone is predicting we will be relegated and as fans we probably accept we will be the underdog most weeks. That allows for the passion, fight, determination to shine and gives us freedom to fail and freedom to go for it. This may be one thing in our favour, it’s hard to put into scale of course, but it might help us especially if we can keep the underlying feeling of negativity towards Fosun away (not easy but it won’t help the player). Molineux can be a cauldron of togetherness , a horrible place to come and one where as the underdog we can over perform.

So look, a tough season that will test us, maybe another player sale to test us, zero spend to frustrate, FFP to infuriate, but we have some top players and as the underdog, as fans, players, staff and City we can maybe over deliver. We just do make a much better underdog, especially with not so Great Expectations.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The last few weeks have been very tough.

But, at least we now have a manager prepared to roll his sleeves up and get stuck in.

We’ve got some good young players and others returning from injury/loans.

I sense a real togetherness in the group and a determination to prove all the pundits/journalists wrong.

I might be wrong here, but I also think there’s a fair few of them maturing/finding their feet at the same time.

So long as we don’t sell any more big hitters and avoid injuries, I think we may surprise a few

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fed up with all the (understandable) negativity and whinging on here.
Looking forward to the end of September when we are top of the Premier League with maximum points and only two goals conceded.
The top fifteen threads will all be extolling the virtues of Jeff, Hobbs, Gary, Fabio, Cresswell, Doris, Fosun, Podence and one thanking JL for enabling us to realise our destiny through his decision to move on.
It will be happy days and everything will be rosy.
And I will be lingering even longer in Mojito heaven.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fed up with all the (understandable) negativity and whinging on here.
Looking forward to the end of September when we are top of the Premier League with maximum points and only two goals conceded.
The top fifteen threads will all be extolling the virtues of Jeff, Hobbs, Gary, Fabio, Cresswell, Doris, Fosun, Podence and one thanking JL for enabling us to realise our destiny through his decision to move on.
It will be happy days and everything will be rosy.
And I will be lingering even longer in Mojito heaven.
No one with a functioning brain would be extolling the virtues of Shi or Fosun if the situation you describe ends up happening. If it does, it won't be due to their sensible management or foresight, it'd be pure unadulterated good luck.

Like you though, I'm looking forward to the season starting and seeing what Gary and the lads produce. I suspect we might surprise a few pundits. Had we stayed up in the manner we did, but without Nunes and Sarabia (insert Cunha or whoever here instead), then sold Neves plus a few older players like the ones we have, but then bought a couple of those players this close season, then I suspect we'd be feeling fairly optimistic? I'm not excusing Fosun's / Shi's incompetence, but I wonder whether things are as desperate as we fear. The first few games will tell I suppose...

Agent Cooper

Reaction score
When all said and done it's time to support the thing that truly matters, the team. I genuinely hope they have managed to tune out the off pitch turmoil as best they can and GON doesn't prove to be out of his depth.

Any success this season will be a credit to him, his staff and the players and will be inspite of the shambles behind the scenes ... Alternatively it could be a total car crash, like the first part of last season .... please let it be the former!

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm hoping we get Gary O'Neil's Barmy Army going ASAP. Whether we believe in him or not, he's what we've got and his record to date is decent albeit (very) limited.

At least we won't have to hear that ****ing Lamborghini song ever again.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have we really lost that much depth?

Collins is about it, no?

And Neves was always going this summer. It was never a question.

This team is as good as last year, probably better to be honest. We should have a more "creative" midfield. Our January forward signings are going to be match fit which is nice (Cunha, Sarabia). Our centre forwards are technically both new (Silva, Sasa) and can't be possibly worse than Raul & Costa. Neto is healthy for once.

Add onto that that some of the young players like Bueno, RAN, Nunes, etc are 1 year older/experienced, and likely closer to their prime.

I just don't see how, on paper, this team is worse than last year. Our only big loss is Neves... but I'm completely confident in Nunes, Lemina, Gomes, and Traore. Maybe not as defensively responsible, but I'd wager will have a lot more freedom than Neves did lately.

The biggest thing we lack is an extra CB and maybe a veteran striker just to provide cover if Silva can't hack it and Sasa gets hurt like always. But maybe they're just wiggling in Guedes as the 3rd striker.

Last edited:

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We need a period of stability. If we can push on and safely get to around halfway in the table then this season will be an unequivocal success.

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I have to ask a question.

Let's say we were all in an alternate universe where our January transfer business was only to bring in Dawson (£3.3M), Bentley (Free) and Lemina (£9.5M) and send Guedes out on loan.

Then this summer, Neves, Collins, Moutinho, Raul, Adama and Diego Costa all left and we signed Cunha (£43M), Gomes (£15M), Sarabia (£5.5M), Boubacar signed permanently (£10M), Sasa came back from injury, Fabio returns from his loans, Doc re-joins on a free and we sign a King as third keeper.

We're still light at CB but we lost six first teamers this summer, brought in five new first teamers with two additions returning from injury/loans and one first team loan made permanent.

What would we be thinking about the squad right now?

I don't know about anyone else but I'd consider that relatively successful. It just so happens that in our universe, the money was spent in January not this summer. We'd be in exactly the same position we just brought the plan forward to give ourselves the best chance of avoiding relegation.

I can't argue that we don't need another CB but the rest of the squad is fine.

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let us hope so! Only problem is I hate watching on TV - more nerve-wracking than being there, but getting home at 2.00am at my age is not something to contemplate.... Sorry for being a wimp!
Getting stuck into the beer early helps.

floydstreet

Reaction score
Expectations have gone up several notches after last night
This is the risk isn’t it
So we weren’t as doomed or as bad as everyone panicked about, but one strong performance shouldn’t lead to any top ten talk
We have to score goals and get some points firmly on the board before we can even contemplate that.
It’s the rushed, social media speed reaction and doesn’t help. Pretty sure GON will say we’ll play worse and win and we’ve achieved nothing yet.

So Brighton at home
There isn’t one logical stat that would suggest we aren’t the underdogs. Yet I wonder how many fans expectations have risen ?

Let’s take it point by point
Support no matter what and create that amazing atmosphere that made it a hard place to come last season.

We win Saturday no top ten talk please
Equally we lose the next two games no over the top negativity

Let it play out
We

Back
Top Bottom