Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Morgan's big summer

E

EdwardLoxdale

I think this summer is the biggest close season we have had under Morgan. My heart is torn 50/50 with him at the moment as I believe he has done some good things for the club and invested more than most teams do upon promotion but I also think he tore away a lot of that good work with the whole managerial mess and what has followed.

This summer he gets the chance to put HIS stamp on our great club. He has had plenty of time to assess who he wants to be his man to take the club forward, he has the chance to make a mark on the championship and keep hold of valuable assets either by keeping their premier wage for a season with hope of an instant premiership return or pricing them out of reach for interested teams and finally he has the chance to get rid of anything he feels is dead wood around the club be it coaching, scouting, in house running of the club etc.

My question is will he show to make some excellent close season decisions and restore faith in us as fans or will he maybe lose some interest, not make the right calls and face further ridicule from fans and media alike. This summer we will see the real Steve Morgan.

I personally think he has a manager in mind on some sort of end of season agreement, will keep majority of the team together and will reinvest money we make from Fletcher, Jarvis etc to sign some established championship players. If not it will be interesting to see what happens to him and how much it will effect us.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good post Lox. This summer is huge for Morgan. He has to get it right. If he gets it right brilliant. If he gets it wrong then it could be a very long unhappy season next season. It is time for Morgan to stamp his authority on the club and get his manager in aong with coaching staff, as the coaching staff currently at the club are shocking when you compare them to other premiership teams.

H

Hatch End

We've got to hope that he finds time soon, from running his house building empire, to take a serious look at the club and the way it's run.

He needs to talk to football people and preferably a appoint a director of football.

The whole set up is amateur from top to bottom and has been for years.

If he wants to keep Moxey as CEO then The Fat One has to be told to stick to finance and keep well away from the footballing activities of the club.....oh yes, and Moxey should be kept out of the media, he just just gets people's backs up!

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We've got to hope that he finds time soon, from running his house building empire, to take a serious look at the club and the way it's run.

He needs to talk to football people and preferably a appoint a director of football.

The whole set up is amateur from top to bottom and has been for years.

If he wants to keep Moxey as CEO then The Fat One has to be told to stick to finance and keep well away from the footballing activities of the club.....oh yes, and Moxey should be kept out of the media, he just just gets people's backs up!

I think we need a director of football who can also sit on the board in the mould of Graham Taylor or Steve Coppell.

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought you where going to tell me where he was off on holiday.

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
I think this summer is the biggest close season we have had under Morgan. My heart is torn 50/50 with him at the moment as I believe he has done some good things for the club and invested more than most teams do upon promotion but I also think he tore away a lot of that good work with the whole managerial mess and what has followed.

This summer he gets the chance to put HIS stamp on our great club. He has had plenty of time to assess who he wants to be his man to take the club forward, he has the chance to make a mark on the championship and keep hold of valuable assets either by keeping their premier wage for a season with hope of an instant premiership return or pricing them out of reach for interested teams and finally he has the chance to get rid of anything he feels is dead wood around the club be it coaching, scouting, in house running of the club etc.

My question is will he show to make some excellent close season decisions and restore faith in us as fans or will he maybe lose some interest, not make the right calls and face further ridicule from fans and media alike. This summer we will see the real Steve Morgan.

I personally think he has a manager in mind on some sort of end of season agreement, will keep majority of the team together and will reinvest money we make from Fletcher, Jarvis etc to sign some established championship players. If not it will be interesting to see what happens to him and how much it will effect us.

Very good post.

I see it the same way...it is a massive call now about Morgan.

I feel he not the sort to give in, he will be determined to get us back up. The question is, is his vision going to be be good and big enough for what we need?

AS I have said before if you are not prepared to 'buy' you way in the PL your only course of action is to make sure the coaching is the best you can buy to develop and produce the PL adequate talent....

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We really do need a director of football and this will allow to Moxey to stick to the financial side of the club, what his good at.

D

Deleted member 4008

I think it will be a huge pre season for Morgan. We will need a new manager , Coaches and scouting network. The worrying thing for me I would have thought Morgan and Moxey would have already started to put in place a better scouting network after MM went. I like a few others would welcome a director of football so they can advise the club on a way forward . Moxey sticks to finance they stick to the Football side of it and Morgan then may turn some people back to supporting him.

My fear is with all the stuff said in the past about not a job for a novice and no movement to get a scouting network in place or a director of football. I think we will just take the usual easy route because at the end of the day that new rule comes in soon where if you are in the black you automatically get into the champions league. :)

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our scouting network is $$$$ as well, can we please expand past Ireland?

M

MonkeySpanner

I also agree he has a manager already lined up. This manager will be of Morgans choosing and I think he'll throw money into the hat for him. I can't see Morgan wanting to stay in the Championship too long.

Should make a very interesting summer.

cobweb

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have zero faith in morgan. He inherited a club on the up, with a good championship manager at the helm and up to now he's made bad calls on the big issues. He sacked mm at the wrong time, bottled it when replacing him and decided bricks and mortar would move the club forward instead of using that 20m on improving the management and playing staff. With him at the helm, we will be a championship side with the odd season or two in the pl if we're lucky.

T

Tettenhall Wolf

He needs to get an alternative source for football advice. Please don't listen to moxey. We need a great choice for manager to build again.

Purple Ronnie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The weather will be fine. Ideal time for getting some of those new Red Row homes sold :)

M

Monkey Man

I'm fully prepared for the Morgan/Moxey Summer Spectacular Show to role in to town and make the shenanigans of last manager's appointment looks like a slick affair.

I think people need to brace themselves for a Summer of dead ends and rumours, cumulating in the position getting filled late into the Summer due to the Euros.

If we haven't got someone in place by end of May my blood will boil.

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
He needs to get an alternative source for football advice. Please don't listen to moxey. We need a great choice for manager to build again.

This is true.

The call by Moxey and McCarthy was about 'young and hungry'....fine until you need to establish in the PL....then it's about 'talented' too....Y&H alone just does not cut the mustard.

It's like banging the drum but the solution is to develop an ethos around coaching that promotes skill and ability in a suitable style over all else.

If Morgan does not see this we will fail again...but it is about more than the hiring of a up and coming coach. Coaches come and go but is the footballing 'foundations' that will keep things stable.

D

Deleted member 4023

It all depends on what his 'vision' is for Wolves & what the 'Wolves DNA' is.

W

Westport Wolf

If Moxey is only employed to look after the finances. We might as well just employ an accountant on a lower salary. As much as people may hate Moxey, he is able to sort out deals wih players and their agents. A job an accountant could never do.

The Professional

'Unprofessional'
Reaction score
I have zero faith in morgan. He inherited a club on the up, with a good championship manager at the helm and up to now he's made bad calls on the big issues. He sacked mm at the wrong time, bottled it when replacing him and decided bricks and mortar would move the club forward instead of using that 20m on improving the management and playing staff. With him at the helm, we will be a championship side with the odd season or two in the pl if we're lucky.
Actually my thoughts too. Oh dear.

SanFranWolf

Transfer summary thread supremo
Reaction score
I'm sure we'll all be relieved once this seasons done and we can draw a line under the whole sorry affair.

Once that's done we'll see what Morgan really has...

Here's what I'd do:

1. Get Moxey in my office and tell him to focus on the operational side of the football club and stay there.

2. Bring in a director of football, a big dog with an equivalent sized bite - someone who really knows the game and demmands respect. Their job is to set the tone for the style of football we're going to play for the next 5 years and define a new strategy for our approach to building our squad. Young and hungry now looks tired and dated we need a new professional, modern approach, one crafted by a football person not a money man.

We don't need to wait until the end of the season to find this person, we should start now and hire ASAP.

3. Clean house. On the day after the end of the season, respectfully let Connor go.

4. Set out a new direction for the club, acknowledge the mistakes and put them to bed for good. We have to find a postive common cause to fight for together that aligns the club and the fans Something like 'I ****** this up first time around but by god im not going to let anything stand in the my way again'.

5. Bring in the best young coach and support team we can find. If necessary Morgan has to break the bank and upset people to get the right man. For all the self pity, we're a fantastic club with the potential for a great future. We'll have a world class academy and the foundations for one of the best stadia in the country in place.

5. Clean house on the playing staff and be prepared to back the new coach with money.

Irrespective of what others want to do we must keep our best assets like Hen, Jarvis and Fletcher and be determined to sell only on our own terms aka Newcastle.

6. Have a great pre season, one ladden with good news.

7. Come out of the tunnel on day one of the Championship with steel determination and fire.

W

wanderer24

I think Morgans instincts are good but he has paid far too much attention to pieman.

arctic rime

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's the sponsors lunch tomorrow , I wonder if we may get to hear a few snippets ?

ProudWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Morgans instincts are good but he has paid far too much attention to pieman.

This. Heard from a few people close to the club that Morgan was close to firing Mick twice earlier in the season but Jez talked him around. Morgan needs to be his own man and stronger in his decision making.

Nero wolf

Reaction score
Relying on Jez Moxey on pure footballing issues is a really bad mistake.
We can only hope that Morgan has learned his lesson here.
Regarding the team..it needs an overhaul and a fresh start.
Build on the things we have and correct the awful mistakes squadwise that eventually led us to relegation.

I want a manager that builds the team from defence and onwards.
We must invest in a better defence and a better central midfield.
That´s how one prepares the best for the Premier League.

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As much as people may hate Moxey, he is able to sort out deals wih players and their agents. A job an accountant could never do.

I doubt this is true and suspect a number of players have slipped through our hands because Moxey could not sort out deals. Worse still he was unable to sort out a deal for a new manager i.e Curbishley.

greco wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm sure we'll all be relieved once this seasons done and we can draw a line under the whole sorry affair.

Once that's done we'll see what Morgan really has...

Here's what I'd do:

1. Get Moxey in my office and tell him to focus on the operational side of the football club and stay there.

2. Bring in a director of football, a big dog with an equivalent sized bite - someone who really knows the game and demmands respect. Their job is to set the tone for the style of football we're going to play for the next 5 years and define a new strategy for our approach to building our squad. Young and hungry now looks tired and dated we need a new professional, modern approach, one crafted by a football person not a money man.

We don't need to wait until the end of the season to find this person, we should start now and hire ASAP.

3. Clean house. On the day after the end of the season, respectfully let Connor go.

4. Set out a new direction for the club, acknowledge the mistakes and put them to bed for good. We have to find a postive common cause to fight for together that aligns the club and the fans Something like 'I ****** this up first time around but by god im not going to let anything stand in the my way again'.

5. Bring in the best young coach and support team we can find. If necessary Morgan has to break the bank and upset people to get the right man. For all the self pity, we're a fantastic club with the potential for a great future. We'll have a world class academy and the foundations for one of the best stadia in the country in place.

5. Clean house on the playing staff and be prepared to back the new coach with money.

Irrespective of what others want to do we must keep our best assets like Hen, Jarvis and Fletcher and be determined to sell only on our own terms aka Newcastle.

6. Have a great pre season, one ladden with good news.

7. Come out of the tunnel on day one of the Championship with steel determination and fire.

+1000

Problem is - will Morgan see it this way?

Back
Top Bottom