Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Molineux redevelopment

The Runner

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I know - I’m not knocking what we’ve got. But if you look at what some other clubs have (or are now building) they are on another level entirely. They’re more like 5 star hotel resorts.
Just an observation, not a criticism.
How are they on another level? What can they do that we can't?

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In terms of facilities available, then there may not be too much in it. Spurs has a luxury player lodge next to the training ground, and a variety of other additional peripheral facilities. In terms of the core training ground, as elite facilities they all have modern extensive outdoor and indoor training facilities, and state of the art sports science equipment. Compared to the best in the league, Compton is closer to the best facilities than Molineux is. However, if you look at the Spurs or Leicester training grounds you get more of a “wow” factor than the smart but more functional Compton. Like it or not, prospective players will notice things like that even if the training facilities are broadly similar.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

In terms of facilities available, then there may not be too much in it. Spurs has a luxury player lodge next to the training ground, and a variety of other additional peripheral facilities. In terms of the core training ground, as elite facilities they all have modern extensive outdoor and indoor training facilities, and state of the art sports science equipment. Compared to the best in the league, Compton is closer to the best facilities than Molineux is. However, if you look at the Spurs or Leicester training grounds you get more of a “wow” factor than the smart but more functional Compton. Like it or not, prospective players will notice things like that even if the training facilities are broadly similar.
Don't think players give a toss. Was watching the Undr the Cosh podcast and the old pros on there said they went on the stadium/training ground tour out of obligation and for a media soundbite.

Bogota Wolf

Reaction score
Yes, agree with what some old pros say but it’s like the difference between an upgraded airport and a functional old one, the difference between a three star hotel with added on sections and a purpose built four or five star hotel., the difference between the old Wolverhampton railway station and New Street., between Euston and St Pancras.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't think players give a toss. Was watching the Undr the Cosh podcast and the old pros on there said they went on the stadium/training ground tour out of obligation and for a media soundbite.
How true. Despite what we might imagine most players dont really care who they play for as long as the pay is good and they are treated reasonably. There was a player (David Unsworth?) who signed for Villa from West Ham and was always late getting in for training. Under questioning from Martin O'Neill the player admitted he didnt know Aston Villa were based in Birmingham and that it was so far from his home.... Dont think he ever played for Villa.

Bogota Wolf

Reaction score
How true. Despite what we might imagine most players dont really care who they play for as long as the pay is good and they are treated reasonably. There was a player (David Unsworth?) who signed for Villa from West Ham and was always late getting in for training. Under questioning from Martin O'Neill the player admitted he didnt know Aston Villa were based in Birmingham and that it was so far from his home.... Dont think he ever played for Villa.
Now that is central. Feeling at home, feeling wanted, feeling part of it with good work mates, with someone you can josh with, people that the missis can hang out with. That’s why the Portuguese approach works after we failed with the half baked Solbakken approach and the import of individuals who didn’t fit in from The odd foreigner to the odd ****ney or Brummie.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Leicester are moving to their new training ground today. Apparently it cost £100 million. That, combined with the expansion of their stadium shows they are pushing ahead off the field and are going to be serious competition in the coming years.

The crisp bowl is a sterile boring ground though. It has absolutely no charm or atmosphere whatsoever. Filbert Street was a dump but at least you felt like you were at a game.

You're right though, they are serious competition: despite being a smaller club historically, they get good attendances now, draw fans from across the county, have won the title this century, and have a very good manager. Us, Villa and them will (obviously) be the Midlands clubs to beat this decade. That said, if we simply rebuild the Steve Bull big our ground would be a thousand times better thatn their identikit morgue.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What would people a) like to see this year on the ground front and b) think we ought to do as a club?

Personally, I see building projects going on elsewhere (e.g. a big one at Sheffield Uni near my flat) and think the farsighted option might be to take the opportunity this awful situation presents to begin extending the North Bank into the Steve Bull and at least get an inhabitable lower tier (rounded into the SB) built before we're up to full post-COVID capacity. Obviously this depends on whether the plans are in place, the architect has a design ready and permission is granted. I'd hope everything would be ready to go but it's probably not...

Lou Pine

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
What would people a) like to see this year on the ground front and b) think we ought to do as a club?

Personally, I see building projects going on elsewhere (e.g. a big one at Sheffield Uni near my flat) and think the farsighted option might be to take the opportunity this awful situation presents to begin extending the North Bank into the Steve Bull and at least get an inhabitable lower tier (rounded into the SB) built before we're up to full post-COVID capacity. Obviously this depends on whether the plans are in place, the architect has a design ready and permission is granted. I'd hope everything would be ready to go but it's probably not...
Knock through all the executive boxes in the John Ireland to create a big ‘banqueting suite’ that can cater for a load more corporate knobheads who pay a fortune for food and drink that has a massive markup and then re-structure the lower tier to make it a bigger, single tier stand which kisses the touch line.

I know bugger all about architecture or business and have been drinking heavily since 5pm so the likelihood of Fosun listening to me is remote.

Back
Top Bottom