Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Maradona

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
A great player who unfortunately will be remembered for the hand of god goal. Maybe not the best ever player, but Maradona was up there with the likes Pele, Best, di Stefano and Eusabio.

R.I.P.
Only here in the UK is he really remembered for the 'Hand of God' because it happened against England. In the rest of the world, while that goal is known about and remembered, they have a much more rounded view of Maradona. So from the British, and particularly English, perspective you are right. The world remembers him a lot differently though.

MrwulfAndrew

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hard to compare eras but maybe the greatest player all of time. Ronaldo (2nd one) is the other who springs to mind. I think after those 2 there a quite a few who are close.

We all know he was a drugs cheat but for me it doesnt take away his skill and agility.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
If we’re all honest we hated him for one pantomime villain moment against us in 1986 and conveniently forget his other goal that day.

Hate is a strong emotion but could you ever really hate such a flawed genius for one goal.

Watch his film on Amazon see what they did to him in Italy. The man took some knocks and, if we’re honest didn’t have the strength of character to resist the temptation.

All that **** and he was still the greatest player of your generation. A true one off.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Terrible tweet from Peter Shilton.

I wont put it up, because of the swearing.

"Try to cheat death, you fat little c---"

That is completely out of order and disrespectful, to a man who has just lost his life. There is no need for that.
It's an awkward one assuming that really is from Shilton. The cheating "goal" wasn't great. The crap that Maradona came out with afterwards, and his regular references to it, were worse and doubtless rubbed salt into Shilton's wounds. However, l thought Lineker's comment was far more classy.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's an awkward one. The cheating "goal" wasn't great. The crap that Maradona came out with afterwards, and his regular references to it, were worse and doubtless rubbed salt into Shilton's wounds. However, l thought Lineker's comment was far more classy.

I think Shilton's tweet must be a fake. For me, when somebody has just lost a family member, you should always be respectful. His body is still warm and he has got a wife and children.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Shilton's teeet must be a fake. For me, when somebody has just lost a family member, you should always be respectful. His body is still warm and he has got wife and children.
Re your first sentence l agree and was editing when you posted.

Justawolf

Reaction score
For me he was the greatest, most iconic footballer, ever. Feel really sad. RIP Diego.

Floyd Man

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
RIP. One of the greatest but not the GOAT. I would put both Pele and George Best ahead of him. Pele- member of three World Cup winning teams. Scored in a final at the age of 17. His international scoring record is more than double that of Maradona from a similar amount of appearances. Best didn’t have the international exposure of Pele and Maradona but Pele was very much aware of him. I feel blessed to have seen him play through the ‘60s and early’70s.

Last edited:

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He didn't play in the 78 finals, only a teenager at that time.

No Argentine 1978 squad player was in the 1986 squad, unless you can name any.
I know. The point I was making is he didn’t lead them to their first success.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
RIP. One of the greatest but not the GOAT. I would put both Pele and George Best ahead of him. Pele- member of three World Cup winning teams. Scored in a final at the age of 17. His international scoring record is more than double that of Maradona from a similar amount of appearances. Best didn’t have the international appeal of Pele and Maradona but Pele was very much aware of him. I feel blessed to have seen him play through the ‘60s and early’70s.
Not to mention Garrincha, Puskas and di-Stefano ad that's just in my time.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
RIP. One of the greatest but not the GOAT. I would put both Pele and George Best ahead of him. Pele- member of three World Cup winning teams. Scored in a final at the age of 17. His international scoring record is more than double that of Maradona from a similar amount of appearances. Best didn’t have the international appeal of Pele and Maradona but Pele was very much aware of him. I feel blessed to have seen him play through the ‘60s and early’70s.

The GOAT is always going to be down to opinions. Pele, Maradona, Messi and a few more had different talents. Each were great in their own way. For me, Maradona's death feels like when Elvis died. You don't have to like them, but they had something very special and they were unique.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's an awkward one assuming that really is from Shilton. The cheating "goal" wasn't great. The crap that Maradona came out with afterwards, and his regular references to it, were worse and doubtless rubbed salt into Shilton's wounds. However, l thought Lineker's comment was far more classy.
The Shilton tweet is fake, really think that should be made clear.

RutlandWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I know he was a supremely talented footballer, but I just can't forgive the 1986 handball and the rest of his chaotic behaviour.

D

Deleted member 5276

Rot in hell? What the **** is wrong with you
Nothing at all.
I don't have to be a happy clapper and mourn this cretin's death. And I'm fee to express how I feel about him even if some don't like it.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In this strange year plenty of more deserving people to be sorry to see pass. We will all go sometime.
Great footballer, floored character. Some things are not easily forgotten, especially with the proliferation of cheating within sport.

D

Deleted member 5276

Pathetic comment.
Each to his own. Sorry it's not politically correct and upsets you. Life is like that. This cretin hurt many people over his lifetime and never apologized for it. He had talent as a footballer but he was an unpleasant individual.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Died on the same day as George Best. Bet Pele will be ****ting himself this time next year

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In 1986 every Englishman was insulted with the mystifying and arrogant ‘hand of God’ comment.
Well God can **** off cos now we’ve got VAR.

ricki herberts moustache

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Genius player but sadly like so many other "rock star" players he had his flaws and demons off the pitch

He totally mesmerised me as a teenager in the 1986 WC

RIP

Contrada Lupa

Reaction score
Shilton's probably still sore that he was too slow to come off his line to stop that goal. Embarrassing attitude.

Maradona was certainly the best player of the 1980s and carried a bunch of journeymen at Napoli who had just avoided relegation to two scudetti and the UEFA cup, and Argentina to the 1986 World Cup. He was never a big goal scorer though unlike Pele who scored over 1000 career goals, but most of these were for Santos in a standard of football well below Championship level. Pele was clogged in 1966, but not on the scale of Maradona whose legs were wrecked by La Liga and Serie A choppers. George Best never got to a major finals with Northern Ireland but two other great players, Garrincha and Eusebio would have claims to be the world's best player at other times.

Back
Top Bottom