Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lopetegui

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder what input JL had in the January window recruitment which played a major part in us staying up. Dawson I’d say he had absolutely zero input into.
Said before Lopetugui and Mendes were Cunha and Sarabia.....

Hobbs was Dawson, Lemina , Gomes.....

Lopetugui n Mendes wanted Felipe from Ath Madrid who went to Forest and Guido Rodriguez from Betis as the defender n midfielder...

That's what I heard happened.....Mendes basically told Hobbs you wouldn't be able to get Lemina on your own...

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Said before Lopetugui and Mendes were Cunha and Sarabia.....

Hobbs was Dawson, Lemina , Gomes.....

Lopetugui n Mendes wanted Felipe from Ath Madrid who went to Forest and Guido Rodriguez from Betis as the defender n midfielder...

That's what I heard happened.....Mendes basically told Hobbs you wouldn't be able to get Lemina on your own...
That's an interesting bit of information, fair play to Hobbs, it was those players that kept us up. Lopetegui organised them well and, unlike Lage, could respond to the situation in the games, an area O Neill is still working on imo.

It's what happened with the leaving players and the interviews that were extremely poor, imo.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's an interesting bit of information, fair play to Hobbs, it was those players that kept us up. Lopetegui organised them well and, unlike Lage, could respond to the situation in the games, an area O Neill is still working on imo.

It's what happened with the leaving players and the interviews that were extremely poor, imo.
I would have loved to have seen who they bought in if they had have had the funds as all the noises were they were very much on the same page and working well together.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Do you actually know ANYTHING about Danny Dyer? He was born in the East End, not Basildon. He knew the Krays? Would have been hard: the year Danny was born (1977) the Krays had both been in prison for about 9 years, serving life sentences. Dyer is a lifelong W Ham fan but was never a member of the ICF. You are confusing the man with some of the characters he plays.
Sorry I haven't read Dyers autobiography, better things to do.

Like discussing the merits of West Hams managerial appointments.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The topic is, is Lopetegui an elite club manager and the answer is, no he isn't, as he has not been employed as a club manager, more than he has in his 20 years as a club manager. He failed dismissaly at the only elite club he has managed. Moyes is not an elite manager, but has been more consistent and employed for many more years in a top league. Lopetegui has never taken any club to the next level.
While I agree Lopetegui isn't an "elite" manager - a term I would personally equate with the "world class" descriptor for players (and maybe applying to the top ~25 coaches in world football), it is factually inaccurate to claim he has been a club manager for 20 years.

A solitary game as Rayo Vallecano caretaker aside, his first club appointment proper was Porto in July 2014, less than a decade ago, having worked in the various Real Madrid and Spain setups. In that light, it's little wonder Moyes is more experienced as a first team manager, having first been appointed by Everton 23 years ago...

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
True, he couldn't foresee the specific excuse Lopetegui would give when shafting his employer and club. However, he did say Lopetegui would leave in a blaze of self justification and would publicly have a go at the club. And Stourport got a lot of stick from several of the same posters that are doing the same now. But he was right.
I thought JL was actually very complimentary to the club, not least the fans and Hobbs. He was publicly critical of Shi and Fosun (who are the stewards of the club, not the club itself) for concerns that have broadly come true. If Palace beat us on Saturday, we will probably finish lower than we did last season - the one where we were rock bottom at the 40% mark. If not for Everton's punishment for past sins, 15th, which is Mick McCarthy territory.

In a 2023/24 season that has seen unusually poor quality at the foot of the table, there actually haven't been many teams worse than us over the season when you take points deductions out of the equation. That is broadly speaking the fault of the board, and one feels the bottom end of the league won't be as forgiving next season.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The next few months will end any reasonable debate on what the problems are at Wolves.

Season ticket prices, more big sales, another net profit, more shipping high earners and replacing with lower paid players.

As a poster outlined above, there's a high possibility that we are the 15th best team in the league this season (given Everton's points deduction). It's really not that great a season. It was failed in January. And everything Lopetegui feared came to fruition.

They've managed to hide and deflect from our problems for one year, and it's one year more than I thought they would. However, I genuinely fear it's all going to come together in a bad way in the next few months and people will see where we're heading.

The summer transfer window will show whether they intend give GON some decent resources to push us on. If not, we'll have to hope the three promoted teams are as bad as this season.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because the world economy is in constant flux, because Wolves are part of a wider conglomerate, because China's view towards foreign investment changes, because football's financial rules are changing etc etc
Then the imperative is for someone in Shi's position to understand from those above him as best as possible the drivers and constraints that can de-rail the strategy and be as present and as transparent as possible to those below so that they not only understand what is going on and why, but feel empowered to take ownership.

The thing people always get wrong with Lopetegui is that it wasn't Wolves he no longer wanted to work for, it was Jeff Shi and Fosun. You only need to look at the transcripts of interviews with Hobbs to see everyone at Wolves was completely in the dark. Shi buried his head in the sand then buggered off to China all summer. Why would you want to work for a senior leadership team who tell you one thing, let you make all of your plans and then tell you something completely different, twice, indirectly. The lack of respect is astonishing. Why and how Wolves fans can't see that baffles me. I get that people may not agree with the way he went through those interviews to lift the lid on what went on, but for me I'd rather a manager fronted up and publicly held them to account for it. Listen to Shi's words - he doesn't think he's done anything wrong, so nobody else is going to hold him to account.

I'd be far less forgiving of Lopetegui if Shi had done his job as CEO, but he didn't.

Last edited:

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You know what the SB is like mate. Come on
I agree. It will happen I just think he’s less deserving of stick tbh nunes I understand the way he left but we aren’t even a top 10 pl club what do we expect from managers and players who have ambitions to progress? They won’t want to stay long at a mid table club. We’ve turned into a bottom half club from cutting back. While we aren’t 18th 19th or 20th Fosun won’t care

Rubberball

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The summer transfer window will show whether they intend give GON some decent resources to push us on. If not, we'll have to hope the three promoted teams are as bad as this season.
If that is the case Fosun should be selling the club or they lose all of the value of their asset.

I want to see them out as soon as possible as they've run their course, treat fans like **** and have seen the ground in its grubbiest state for decades

Things are only going to get worse politically with China so we're in a bad position right now

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I wonder what input JL had in the January window recruitment which played a major part in us staying up. Dawson I’d say he had absolutely zero input into.
Yes, Dawson should have come in the Summer but for the chain breaking down, maybe things would have worked out differently for Lage (probably not).

However Cunha and Sarabia are obvious Lopetegui signings. Also key to getting in Gomes and also a long term fan of Lemina

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The next few months will end any reasonable debate on what the problems are at Wolves.

Season ticket prices, more big sales, another net profit, more shipping high earners and replacing with lower paid players.

As a poster outlined above, there's a high possibility that we are the 15th best team in the league this season (given Everton's points deduction). It's really not that great a season. It was failed in January. And everything Lopetegui feared came to fruition.

They've managed to hide and deflect from our problems for one year, and it's one year more than I thought they would. However, I genuinely fear it's all going to come together in a bad way in the next few months and people will see where we're heading.
There are certainly less likely to be three "victim teams" below us next season.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That last sentence is nigh on impossible based on past precedent.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If that is the case Fosun should be selling the club or they lose all of the value of their asset.

I want to see them out as soon as possible as they've run their course, treat fans like **** and have seen the ground in its grubbiest state for decades

Things are only going to get worse politically with China so we're in a bad position right now
And who do you think will replace them? we are not going to be bought by a gulf state. We would be prime candidates for some dodgy US syndicate like 777. Do we really want to risk dancing with that particular devil?

Rubberball

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
And who do you think will replace them? we are not going to be bought by a gulf state. We would be prime candidates for some dodgy US syndicate like 777. Do we really want to risk dancing with that particular devil?
That's a hell of a lot of assumption right there. And you have no idea if a gulf state is interested.

You're clearly looking at this negatively when we could be sold to a really forward thinking owner too. For every 777 there is a Jim Radcliffe, Tony Bloom or 49ers Enterprises.

If you want to live in fear that's up to you, not for me though.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's a hell of a lot of assumption right there. And you have no idea if a gulf state is interested.

You're clearly looking at this negatively when we could be sold to a really forward thinking owner too. For every 777 there is a Jim Radcliffe, Tony Bloom or 49ers Enterprises.

If you want to live in fear that's up to you, not for me though.

We have had mid table consistency for 7 years, I prefer that than the last 44 years. There are a lot of clubs below us, who would give a lot for what we have attained.

Rubberball

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We have had mid table consistency for 7 years, I prefer that than the last 44 years. There are a lot of clubs below us, who would give a lot for what we have attained.
And for what Fosun have given us they will forever be remembered as the owners that put us back in the big time.

But like everything else things have to come to an end and if they are detrimental to the club politically and managerially then it's time to sell up.

Nobody outstays their welcome successfully.

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
And for what Fosun have given us they will forever be remembered as the owners that put us back in the big time.

But like everything else things have to come to an end and if they are detrimental to the club politically and managerially then it's time to sell up.

Speak for yourself. Fosun still have my welcome and I guess the majority of supporters. The ground looks full every home game and I don't hear fans complaining about them. At the end of the day we're an established (7years) PL club - the highest level of club football don't forget - which is down to Fosun at the end of the day and I don't take it for granted.

Last edited:

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
While I agree Lopetegui isn't an "elite" manager - a term I would personally equate with the "world class" descriptor for players (and maybe applying to the top ~25 coaches in world football), it is factually inaccurate to claim he has been a club manager for 20 years.

A solitary game as Rayo Vallecano caretaker aside, his first club appointment proper was Porto in July 2014, less than a decade ago, having worked in the various Real Madrid and Spain setups. In that light, it's little wonder Moyes is more experienced as a first team manager, having first been appointed by Everton 23 years ago...

He started managing around the same time as Moyes. He was sacked as manager of Rayo Vallecano after 10 matches not one
He is 58, if he isn't as experienced at club management after 20 years, as Moyes is, it is because Moyes has kept his jobs longer. Just so Old Wltonian doesn't get confused again, I am not saying Moyes is an elite manager, just a safer pair of hands, more experienced and not a drama queen.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I presume he’s not a stupid man and undoubtedly understands he better get this Hammers gig right.
( I really dislike the idea of him being at Molineux again even for one game).
I don't understand your obvious dislike for the bloke. I'm guessing you don't think he played his part in keeping us in this division.

Loefah

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Not to thread whine, but I can't believe how many pages are still being added to this thread every time I log on.

I just don't get why anyone can be bothered to talk about him anymore. It's not like we've had a bad season and need him to come back.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He started managing around the same time as Moyes. He was sacked as manager of Rayo Vallecano after 10 matches not one
He is 58, if he isn't as experienced at club management after 20 years, as Moyes is, it is because Moyes has kept his jobs longer. Just so Old Wltonian doesn't get confused again, I am not saying Moyes is an elite manager, just a safer pair of hands, more experienced and not a drama queen.
I don't recall questioning your views on Moyes being an elite manager. In my view he's an above average EPL manager.
As far as JL is concerned, I don't know enough about him but I am eternally grateful he managed our EPL survival.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't recall questioning your views on Moyes being an elite manager. In my view he's an above average EPL manager.
As far as JL is concerned, I don't know enough about him but I am eternally grateful he managed our EPL survival.

Well that is a balanced post and I respect your honesty.

Dorbelflunk

Reaction score
Not to thread whine, but I can't believe how many pages are still being added to this thread every time I log on.

I just don't get why anyone can be bothered to talk about him anymore. It's not like we've had a bad season and need him to come back.
Because as our season has petered out we're back in the 'I told you so' times.

And to further stir the pot, I never warmed to JL, I found his lap of honour when he joined us very awkward and I disliked the touchline antics immensely. Grateful that he kept us up but that squad was far from poor.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

“…….things have come to an end…”……..explain that.

Seems a bit of an exaggeration .

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Transfermarkt appear to have gotten the Vallecano stat wrong. 10 games it is. Even so, it's a stretch to say he has been a club manager for 20 years. That implies he had a number of jobs consistently across that time, and lost all of them. He had a whopping 10 games as a total rookie in 2003, then didn't manage a first-team club side for another 11 years - because he was serving his country (with distinction) at youth level. He didn't really become a manager in earnest until 2010 if we're being fair, when he took the Spain U19 job.

In my opinion, he is a Europa calibre manager, perhaps a notch or two below Emery, but several notches above what Wolves fans can expect from a typical appointment.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I agree, we need to move on and get back to deciding what we "shoould" do with Fabio.
Roll on Saturday, I say.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't understand your obvious dislike for the bloke. I'm guessing you don't think he played his part in keeping us in this division.
Both your sentences are wrong.
I don’t really like or dislike the guy……never quite took to him even at the beginning.

And of course he helped keep us up…..but I doubt we’d have survived without the efforts of Dawson and Podence too.

loppers86

Reaction score
Because people keep banging on about being lied to. The landscape changed, happens all the time in business, be mature and deal with it.
shi can’t have it both ways… he either lied to loppers or he had completely lost touch with the clubs finances.

FFP was around for ages and definitely wasn’t something that ‘changed in business’ as you put it.

personally i think he is incompetent and he covers it up by lying and sacking fall guys. then when loppy turned down his initial approach he lied to him too.

loppers86

Reaction score
I thought JL was actually very complimentary to the club, not least the fans and Hobbs. He was publicly critical of Shi and Fosun (who are the stewards of the club, not the club itself) for concerns that have broadly come true. If Palace beat us on Saturday, we will probably finish lower than we did last season - the one where we were rock bottom at the 40% mark. If not for Everton's punishment for past sins, 15th, which is Mick McCarthy territory.

In a 2023/24 season that has seen unusually poor quality at the foot of the table, there actually haven't been many teams worse than us over the season when you take points deductions out of the equation. That is broadly speaking the fault of the board, and one feels the bottom end of the league won't be as forgiving next season.
yep the wheels have come off big time - not GONs fault - but there is a problem at the club and it needs fixing. This is looking like a slow motion car crash replay of Bruno Lage’s reign.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What's a "Danny Dyer-type" ? A guy who voted Brexit and then admitted he was wrong? A guy who called David Cameron "a ****"?
I'll have you know Danny Dyer's a proper royal geezer, being related** to Edward III.

But I don't think he ever played Futsal - nor, come to that, did Danny Dyer.

**statistically we all are :)

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t really like or dislike the guy……never quite took to him even at the beginning. And of course he helped keep us up…..but I doubt we’d have survived without the efforts of Dawson and Podence too.
And Gary would likely have been in a relegation battle this season without the efforts of Cunha and Neto, too. If my auntie had a willy...

Back
Top Bottom