Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

It’s not a case of which formation, it’s a case of both

floydstreet

Reaction score
Frustrating again. Individual errors and frankly corrupt var not helping us either. Lots of debate aroind whether we need to be more expansive, more pragmatic or more defensive.

I think there are a few things at play. Clearly a team drilled in pre season in one method, are being asked to adapt to a different one. And that takes time, so we have to accept that.

We have struggles for goals and we have struggled to dominate since the counter attacking days of 532 or 523. But we also need to recognise that we don’t have the players that necessarily made the the answer. So let’s give the players (many who have just joined) some time to adapt and to find out preferred way.

For me it’s not a case of which, it’s a case of both. What I mean by that is that starting 433 makes a lot of sense and we’ve shown remarkable energy, spark, at times creativity and could and should have scored more from it. I think then it’s a case of how to adapt. Reflect on second half of season under Julen Lopetego. He would often switch to 5 at the back to see a game out of potentially against the bigger clubs. For me that makes total sense and would have in second half against Liverpool for example. We can then change the setup and personnel to counter attack etc.

So for me with 4 at the back Vs 5 at the back, it’s not a case of which formation, it’s a case of both

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn't he switch to a 5 at some point yesterday? Tbh I lost track of what he was trying to do; I think the players may have done so to! B'mouth fans said he has no identity or rigid philosophy, no set formation or tactics, his use of subs was confusing and they were often left scratching their heads. This scenario is emerging already. You can't compare GON with JL. JL's players knew what they were expected to do, even if he changed formation. My worry with GON is that if he changes things mid-game (yesterday he was forced to) players will become more confused as to what their new responsibilities might be. Changing players mid game may only add to the confusion (why did Neto start RW and then have to be switched to his preferred LW?) and then why did GON leave no strikers on the pitch when we could have won that game?

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think there’s merits of combining the best elements of 433 and 532.

Undoubtedly, playing a 533 would give us a big advantage.

Back
Top Bottom