Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Hoddle: Split the Championship

thisisgil

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
http://www.sportinglife.com/footbal...ccer/08/05/24/SOCCER_Championship_Hoddle.html

But Hoddle wants to see the second tier of domestic football split into two halves and fixtures drastically reduced, giving players - especially young ones - time and opportunity to develop their skills and ultimately produce more high-quality candidates for the national squad.

"The Championship is where we might have to look very seriously to bring on young English players," he said.
"But the way we are playing to get out of it sometimes is a million miles away from international standards.

"It's got to be split into two lots of 18 and that way gives you time to let players practise the skills they naturally have to be given a chance at that level.

H

haden-wolf

I really wish the lantern jawed one would just get on with his 'second chance acadamy' and keep his gob shut

Wolv3nsam

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He was never this fond of young players at Wolves!

A

AmericanWolf

Not fair. He gave Mark Davies a good run in the first team, brought Leon Clarke along, and gave more professional contracts to academy products in a year than I think we have ever done.

W

wolfie smith

lets face it, young english players dont get anywhere near the first team of the big clubs, one or two will make an impact at a lower premier club then be sold to a big one and left to rot in the reserves. if they know they are going to be given a chance at championship level they may think twice about signing for the big clubs unless of course they are driven by bentleys and bling.
Q. will we finish 7th in the northern section or the southern section?

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
I actually think it has some merits though I could see 1 each going for automatic and 2 from each into the playoffs. It could end up having the opposite effect where whichever league you're in you now have a reduced chance so you won't "risk it on kids".

In reality Hoddle's using this as an excuse to promote his new academy. Which is the first of many new breeding grounds that will pop up and develop the best kids to sell on to clubs for a nice profit. I know of another big agentb trying to do something in the North East.

Clubs youth academy's will become a thing of the past in a few years.

D

Devonwolf

Not fair. He gave Mark Davies a good run in the first team, brought Leon Clarke along, and gave more professional contracts to academy products in a year than I think we have ever done.

And Chris Cornes when nobody had heard of him

R

RichRalph

And where do Championship teams go to find these young English players????? Ahhh, Glenda's academy. To whom we pay tranfer fees or loan fees.

Sorry Glenda, you are just feathering your own nest. Go away!

And where do clubs get the extra income from that would have been lost?

Back to the drawing board, eh Hod.?

E

Exile Wolf

Next he will be telling us we can only sign certain players for certain positions using a draft system like they do in USA.

Just stay out of Football Glenn and have your pay days with Sky

Wolv3nsam

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Mick is also bringing along young players - SEB, Keogh, Kightly, Vokes, Foley, Elokobi, Edwards and Jarvis to name a few. IMO we are far more 'keener' on young players with Mick in charge than we ever were with Hoddle in charge.

Lupo Italiano

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He is on teletext today saying that its no surprise that Avram Grant was sacked seeing as he finished 2nd in every competition - maybe Glenn would have bettered that?

Haven't seen his name linked with the vacant position yet...

S

SsgWolf

glenn hoddle is on my real-life ignore list. please dont quote him on here, i dont want to know what he says.

S

simmo

And Chris Cornes when nobody had heard of him

I remember speaking to Chris Cornes about what he thought of Hoddle. This was 2 years ago when he was at Telford, so had only been released by Wolves a few months prior.

He was extremely complimentary about the way that Hoddle treated the young lads at the club, the advice he gave them, and so on.

The only doubt in my mind about Hoddle's unwillingness to blood the youth was that he appeared to lose interest in players if they were a) not as good as him in his prime; or b) not called Darren Anderton.

A

Atlas 1951

He is on teletext today saying that its no surprise that Avram Grant was sacked seeing as he finished 2nd in every competition - maybe Glenn would have bettered that?

Haven't seen his name linked with the vacant position yet...

Haven't seen Andy Gray's name linked with the job yet, or Alan Hansen's, or Mario Kempes', or Mark Lawrenson's.

Perhaps this is because they give their opinions as pundits, not as managers.

If we were to follow your line of reasoning to its logical conclusion, only Alex Ferguson would be qualified to give his opinion on this matter, and I have a feeling even Rupert Murdoch would baulk at making him the kind of offer that would entice him to leave Old Trafford for a desk next to Martin Tyler.

Common sense says that you don't fork out Abramovich dollars to come second. Simple as, end of.

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hoddle is always an infuriating mixture of the great and the daft. For example I think his academy to provide a second chance for young players discarded by the top clubs is both laudable and a good idea. On the other hand his plan to split the Championship is a total non-starter!

F

fenella

I think he makes a great point. There's a good chance that Kightly will go on to become a regular, full England international. But is his development really helped by playing two matches a week in the Championship? His chances of developing into a really good player would probably be better served by playing ten games a season in the Premiership and getting more time on the training pitch with some really good coaches. Which is wrong.

sjonnie

Reaction score
Hoddle is always an infuriating mixture of the great and the daft. For example I think his academy to provide a second chance for young players discarded by the top clubs is both laudable and a good idea. On the other hand his plan to split the Championship is a total non-starter!

Actually I'm not so sure this is such a bad idea. In fact I would take it even further and split the Prem, thereby making a Prem div 1 and a Prem div 2 - 18 teams in each. This in some ways would help to stop the ever-widening gap between CCC and Prem (we are almost at the point where an immediate transition is impossible) and would also reduce the number of games played in the Football League if they divided the remaining sides up into 3 divisions. Of course the real issue would be whether the sides currently in the Prem would ever agree to sharing the TV rights accross 36 clubs.

Back
Top Bottom