Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Grasshoppers Zürich

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Switzerland isn't in the EU....
True, but is part of Schengen, and a myriad other common areas. The reason being that membership has never been accepted even after several plebiscites, and some federal states remain adamant in voting against. On the other hand, The swiss government has pushed through several EU-Swiss bilateral agreements bit by bit, over several years (a torturous process really) that although does not require adoption of the acquis per se, has progressively brought Switzerland very close to EU regulations. There are few economic borders between Switzerland and the EU. No trade borders (following a 1972 free trade agreement) and a semi restricted freedom of movement based on work quotas. Non-work travel is borderless.
Financial services agreement still in the works. But as anyone can imagine, things are moving slowly.

There. EU money for a masters from a British University well spent.

Last edited:

Boon2

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
True, but is part of Schengen, and a myriad other common areas. The reason being that membership has never been accepted even after several plebiscites, and some federal states remain adamant in voting against. On the other hand, The swiss government has pushed through several EU-Swiss bilateral agreements bit by bit, over several years (a torturous process really) that although does not require adoption of the acquis per se, has progressively brought Switzerland very close to EU regulations. There are few economic borders between Switzerland and the EU. No trade borders (following a 1972 free trade agreement) and a semi restricted freedom of movement based on work quotas. Non-work travel is borderless.
Financial services agreement still in the works. But as anyone can imagine, things are moving slowly.

There. EU money for a masters from a British University well spent.
WBS?

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very well spent.
Impressed.

The other point to mention is that your 'average' Swiss hates the Germans, French, Italians and the Austrians with a Passion. ( Portuguese/everyone else are a close 2nd ).
Fascinating.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very well spent.
Impressed.

The other point to mention is that your 'average' Swiss hates the Germans, French, Italians and the Austrians with a Passion. ( Portuguese/everyone else are a close 2nd ).
Is there anyone they actually do like??

OoohRobbieRobbie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was in Zurich and Basel Thurs to Mon just gone (brother lives in Basel). Beautiful places... especially the lake in Zurich, heaven!

I was hoping to bump into Stephane Chapuisat. Never saw him.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hello mate.
hope all's well
They are luckily quite fond of the English, thank goodness.
There's a phrase about 'that's not the fine English way', when something is perceived as being underhand, and I think the fact that the English ( Thomas Cook ) founded the Tourism Industry here helped a lot with the people, especially seeing as the first English Tourists were the rich and famous, and I'm guessing behaved very 'properly', which the Swiss admire. Rules and Regulations are loved here.
Queen Victoria came here and went up my favourite Mountain, etc., etc

Funny lot, the Swiss.
I couldn't live anywhere else but Zürich. The villages are very narrow-minded and they are wary of anything from 'outside'.
I'm sure they all still love their Mothers, and don't eat babies, but they are still very conservative.
I think I'll leave it at that.
Glad to hear that you are on the mend, l'm good thanks. Sadly my late 80s mum is struggling...

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that about your Mum
My Mum is OK, but my stepdad is also struggling. He's also late 80s
I phone them every day, it's time now actually, and at least they didn't die young.
Had enough people do that who were close to me, and that's the worst.
Every day is important, phoning my Mum and Dad now.

EDIT:
took the photo of me and my Missus out, Fosun are surely watching...
It's not that I don't trust them, but better safe than sorry
Just because you aren't paranoid it doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you....

OoohRobbieRobbie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You picked the perfect weekend for it, sunshine pure
The lake in Zürich is the best, isn't it

Today it's absolutely bucketing down, and down-right cold, about 15 degrees here
Weatherman has assured us that the Sun is still up there though, and we'll see it again soon

Gutted for you about Chapuisat.
He's surprisingly very nice.
He would have stopped for a chat for sure*.

*corona notwithstanding

Haha have you actually met him? I was joking that I was hoping to spot him, but I loved him as a kid :D

Yeh it was exceptional weather - my brother wasn't lying about how hot it can get over there.

Yeh the lakes incredible. So refreshing coming from the airport and taking a dip in there for a few hours.

Had some incredible Vietnamese food in Zurich followed by a lot of fine beers from International Beer Bar!

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bruno Jordão has been spotted in Zürich

Looks like he's coming to play for Grasshoppers for a season

Just checked his appearances
Regular on the bench the last few games
6 min. appearance against Chelsea
I really doubt this!
If it proves to be true I think it would be excellent for you.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bruno Jordao currently training at Compton this week in preparation for Olympiakos game and is now a full time first team member. Cant see him leaving before the Europa is over and until he is replaced in the squad.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bruno Jordao currently training at Compton this week in preparation for Olympiakos game and is now a full time first team member. Cant see him leaving before the Europa is over and until he is replaced in the squad.
I think you're right, hopefully that means we have someone incoming

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can't quite believe it either, but he was allegedly spotted at a Hotel in Zürich yesterday, so 2+2=?
Of course the 'allegedly' probably changes the whole equation somewhat, but who knows?
maybe a new player or two coming your way?

The source is as reliable as...well, as anyone who would let that sort of information out, I guess

He was training with us yesterday.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ming-Yang Yang, my wife's favourite player after his almost legendary exploits for FC Winterthur, and 5 games for the U21s in Wolverhampton, has been spotted playing for the Grasshopper U21s team in a friendly.
His contract wasn't renewed by Wolves, so is now on a job hunt.

If he signs for Grasshoppers my Missus will burn the Grasshoppers Training Campus to the ground ( figuratively speaking )
Start the fire!!

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We need to help them get into their top division and then sell off our cast offs for a premium to them.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the message is more important than a mis translation :cool:

Sounds pretty funny though!

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sky Sun has just introduced himself to the Grasshoppers fans by video message, and put his foot in it

Grasshoppers abbreviation is GC, pronounced "geh tseh" , unfortunately Sky Sun used the 'english' way of pronouncing the letters, "gee see".

Now, "D'Schissi" is swiss german for 'the toilet'.

I'm still reduced to tears on hearing it for the 10th time whilst linking the video.

"Since the takeover of the toilet in April, we have been working very hard to equip the toilet for the future...etc., etc

We note that everything that happens at the toilet is intensively reported and followed...

We have strong expectations of the toilet

At the end when he proclaims Hopp GC, I lost it.

Ansel
How many teams from the swiss top division qualify for the champion's league? Hopefully grasshoppers could qualify in the next five years so that we sell our fringe players to them at top rates.

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mis-pronounciation, but yes, I get your point.

Although the first thing in my head as I woke up this morning was "D'Schissi", :D

I'm planning to put a GC logo on the bathroom door now, to show where the ****ter is!
Damm foriners, who can't speak him well the tongue.

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
the 66 World Cup final ref was Swiss and one of the linesmen was Ukrainian / Russian I think - back in the days when they didn’t have officials from the same country.

Was it your guy @Amsel ?

Wenlock Wolf

Reaction score
More information about this match in 1958

The referee was a certain Swiss guy from Basel, Gottfried Dienst, known as Godi.

Now he might not be instantly famous, but I can assure you, all of you know this guy.
A Toblerone to the first person to tell me why this guy is so very, very famous.
Morning Amsel, Godi refereed the 1966 World Cup Final .... did it cross the line? Who cares? England win the World Cup .... Mmmmm marvelous isn't it? ... Jumpers for goalposts .....

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes indeed!

The Linesman was an Azerbaijani, but was Russian in 1966. the National Stadium is named after him in Baku. Tofiq Bahramov.
The other Linesman was from Czechoslovakia.

The World has changed a lot since those days.
For a start the countries in which two of the officials were brought up (the USSR and Czechoslovakia) neither exist any more. Only Switzerland continues..

Last edited:

moseleyite

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
1966 World Cup Final .... did it cross the line? [...]

My Dad was there that day and he says 100% yes... although he was at the other end of the ground... :D

For a start the country's in which two of the officials were brought up (the USSR and Czechoslovakia) neither exist any more. Only Switzerland continues..

Nor does West Germany

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nor does West Germany
True, although the country's formal title was the Federal Republic of Germany and that, to this day, is still Germany's official title. Hence why all of West Germany's world cup wins etc are credited to Germany.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My point exactly...plus the germans losing for a change.

Switzerland played Germany a couple of days ago in that Europa League thingy, and got a creditable 1-1 draw....should have won, actually.
Granit Xhaka was MOTM, had a superb game. I was actually very impressed with him.

The End of Days is coming!
Cats will be marrying dogs next!
My (non-football loving) Mum's version is 22 men (or, if she's in a mood, idiots) chasing a bag of wind around some grass...

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yup, no Toblerone, but a beautiful post.

That's how football should be!

Not the Gary Lineker version where " Football is a simple game. Twenty-two men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans always win".
He must have had the chance to ensure that didn't happen.

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For a start the country's in which two of the officials were brought up (the USSR and Czechoslovakia) neither exist any more. Only Switzerland continues..
Technically, all 3 were/are federal states. 2 were forced, one was plebiscite dependent.
Just useless info.... Carry on chaps.

Erick1011

First Mexican Wolves fan
Reaction score
@Amsel So you’ve got Leo Bonatini now at Grasshoppers as well, plus Ronan and new-boy Tote Gomes.

Safe to say Dadashov will be back at Wolves receiving treatment.

Any new updates? How’s the season going?

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ansel
Are grasshoppers winning games?We need them in the champion's league so they can buy the fringe players we don't want.

Wombourne Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Won their first league game 3-2, only Tote Gomes from our contingent played by the looks of it.

Next game is Sunday.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Grasshoppers won again last night and are leading the table by four points.
We could be doing a lot of business with jenny wang in the future, if they eventually get into europe.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Yes indeed!

The Linesman was an Azerbaijani, but was Russian in 1966. the National Stadium is named after him in Baku. Tofiq Bahramov.
The other Linesman was from Czechoslovakia.

The World has changed a lot since those days.
Little known fact -
The ‘Russian Linesman’ also Refereed the first leg of our UEFA Cup Final at Molineux against Spurs

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Grasshoppers won again last night and are leading the table by four points.
We could be doing a lot of business with jenny wang in the future, if they eventually get into europe.
Yes they’re doing ok. A bit like us, seem to be defensively solid (conceded 11 goals and 5 of those were in one game) but considering they are at the top, they’re finding goals relatively hard to come by, certainly since they went on a run of two losses (prior to that they were a bit more free scoring).

Toti Gomes has been an ever present as the left of two centre halves

Bonatini has played in about three quarters of games but so far just 2 goals

Connor Roman had a slow introduction, missed the first few games due to injury, largely a sub in the middle tranche of games however has played most minutes for the last 4 games

Back
Top Bottom