Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O'Neil - tactics

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It has been said on today's verdict thread but it deserves to be said again on here - that was a GON masterclass on how to play away at a side who ALWAYS score at home. For me the Bees cup 1-1 and this are perhaps the most satisfying results and performances of the season. There was no way we were going to lose either of those games; the belief in the players and the confidence GON has instilled in them is working miracles tbh. He has us disciplined at the back, hard working in mf and explosive up top. Imo if we had that instinctive goal scorer in the box this side would finish top 7/8.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Those tactics from last night will work very well against United and Chelsea. Two sides who are struggling and expected to be on the front foot.

Just got to hope we don't burn out Cunha and Neto before then. Hopefully we can be comfortable against Albion after an hour to rest them.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
2018/19 after 21 games 29p
2019/20 after 21 games 30p
2023/24 after 21 games 29p

GON is on target to match Nunos best years
This is quite amazing tbh. Nuno had the whole Champs season to mould the group + all the quality added on promotion. And if I'm honest I think Nuno's side had better quality throughout the 11; so hats off to GON, he's done incredible things.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sit deep and counter attack . We are ****ed , bore fest here we come from looking in the Bournemouth forum.

lets be honest, the bloke is a chancer. he got the job because he was there at bournemouth. then they sacked him. he has no "tactics", he just needs a salary

He’s got about 5 games IMO.

If this chancer does get appointed the search will almost certainly still be on behind the scenes.

A premier league job shouldn’t be a starting point….. it is a recepie for disaster.

The fact he couldn’t even get a championship job over the summer is a worry for me as there were some available.

This is a cheap and no ambition hire of a person it will cost peanuts in salary on and will be easier to control and cost little to sack.

So the perfect hire for a Chinese owned business

Oh my word!!!!!

That is terrifying!!!!! He is literally turning us into a team with no creativity and zero movement…..

So the people blaming the players today for poor movement….. pipe down!!!! The manager has just admitted it was him!!!!

No wonder they looked so poor and movement was so far removed from Rennes and United!

The more time these players spend under him, the more concerned we should be!!

He isn’t even a PE teacher!!! He is the gym instructor apprentice!!!!

This clown clearly thinks he is on JL’s level…… towhat a ****ing clown!!!!

That interview tells us that he is way out of his depth and his three hour interview is a farce as if that is his footballing philosophy and how to utilise the players we have in the squad, all he needed was a fag packet and 5 mins!!!!!

Last weeks and now today press conferences are real causes for concern!!!! He needs to go ASAP!!!!!

Just re read some of the early pages on this thread. Some absolute comedy gold

Passedit

Reaction score
Have a look at this from the BHA forum. Page 1 darkness, Page 2 light. I dare say a lot of people thought the same

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In all fairness, vast majority of the footballing world was baffled by the move. I'm glad that he has proven everyone wrong, often now gets spoke of with glowing praise and Wolves as well. Kinda shows how football is in the moment as now the narrative is a we are really exciting team to watch whereas the past three seasons we were the Golden Stoke.

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
So easy to take the **** in hindsight. 99% of us were pretty appalled by GON's appt but he has shoved that right down our throats so good luck to him.
It's also just as easy to hold your fire, give the guy an honest chance, before denigrating the **** out of him... people with egg all over their faces deserve the ****-taking.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So easy to take the **** in hindsight. 99% of us were pretty appalled by GON's appt but he has shoved that right down our throats so good luck to him.
I wasn’t enthralled by it but phrases like “appalled” shocks me? Hes not Pep, but even at the time I was far from appalled. Using language like “PE teacher” and “chancer” then in my view the posters absolutely deserve pelters as that’s not exactly giving someone a chance, in the slightest

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's also just as easy to hold your fire, give the guy an honest chance, before denigrating the **** out of him... people with egg all over their faces deserve the ****-taking.
So you must be one of the 1% on here who were not appalled at GON's appt and either kept sthum or supported the appt? If so well done.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wasn’t enthralled by it but phrases like “appalled” shocks me? Hes not Pep, but even at the time I was far from appalled. Using language like “PE teacher” and “chancer” then in my view the posters absolutely deserve pelters as that’s not exactly giving someone a chance, in the slightest
Looking back from memory I personally did not use language like 'PE teacher' or 'chancer' which were both highly insulting but I'm not sure giving pelters now to those who did actually achieves anything apart from making you look like a ****.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Looking back from memory I personally did not use language like 'PE teacher' or 'chancer' which were both highly insulting but I'm not sure giving pelters now to those who did actually achieves anything apart from making you look like a ****.
Nobody had any real evidence (or belief) that he was going to be a good appointment. Some people just said 'let's wait and see', which is fine, but hardly the idea of a discussion forum! I didn't know much about him, which is why I started the thread.

Sure the main thing is that it appears to have worked out very well, so let's just all be happy.

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
So you must be one of the 1% on here who were not appalled at GON's appt and either kept sthum or supported the appt? If so well done.
Yes, I was not "appalled" by the appointment; however, I was not thrilled by it either and thought we could/should get someone with more experience (especially given the circumstances). That said, once he was appointed, I wanted to give him some time to see what he could do - most especially since he came in right before the season started, had no pre-season, and added new players afterwards. Quite a tough scenario to walk into and I was willing to be a bit patient to see if he could step up and figure it out--that's the fair and just way to treat someone.

The over-the-top criticism and denigration of a Wolves manager basically before he even got started was the appalling behavior. And frankly shows what a bunch of numpties there are out there in the world.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was not happy with his appointment at all, and was quite vocal about it. I was wrong. Very wrong.

Just hope he can beat WBA at the weekend as I think he deserves the glory/ praise from the fanbase that will bring him.
I agree with that....I wasn't sure about O'Neil at all....but I think he thoroughly deserves to be the manager who breaks the losing streak at the ****....

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
To be fair all over the internet are bunches of idiots with big mouths and opinions who know nothing. The Mix is no different to the rest of society.
Of course there are - but, when you spout bull****, be prepared for people to call you out for your idiotic opinions and boorish behavior. Own it and learn from it and be a better internet citizen.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, I was not "appalled" by the appointment; however, I was not thrilled by it either and thought we could/should get someone with more experience (especially given the circumstances). That said, once he was appointed, I wanted to give him some time to see what he could do - most especially since he came in right before the season started, had no pre-season, and added new players afterwards. Quite a tough scenario to walk into and I was willing to be a bit patient to see if he could step up and figure it out--that's the fair and just way to treat someone.

The over-the-top criticism and denigration of a Wolves manager basically before he even got started was the appalling behavior. And frankly shows what a bunch of numpties there are out there in the world.
You're re-writing history. The numpties were massed on here, and I sadly was one of them. I was not over the top tbh but I regret what I said at the time and I now am starting to think he could go on in time to be a top, top manager.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Were 99% of fans really appalled by it??? There were some way OTT reactions but were that many genuinely appalled?? Personally I was underwhelmed as I thought we could have had better but ANYONE at the time who felt so strongly as to be appalled should have looked at what he’d done at Bournemouth, regardless of the perceived style of his team. He kept up a worst team than us by far at the time he signed survival was the only target

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Were 99% of fans really appalled by it??? There were some way OTT reactions but were that many genuinely appalled?? Personally I was underwhelmed as I thought we could have had better but ANYONE at the time who felt so strongly as to be appalled should have looked at what he’d done at Bournemouth, regardless of the perceived style of his team. He kept up a worst team than us by far at the time he signed survival was the only target
People preferred to treat that video by a Bournemouth fan as gospel.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People preferred to treat that video by a Bournemouth fan as gospel.
That video at the time (and the reaction to it) really made GON want to succeed.

Not to tar everyone with the same brush but the majority of folk doing those sorts of videos (including that Dave bloke the Wolves fan) are best avoided in my opinion

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That video at the time (and the reaction to it) really made GON want to succeed.

Not to tar everyone with the same brush but the majority of folk doing those sorts of videos (including that Dave bloke the Wolves fan) are best avoided in my opinion
agreed, how many football fans (especially the you tube mob) actually and really have in depth knowledge about football?

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So we are going from bashing people for over reacting about GON, long after many of us have said we over reacted and went too far….. so what was to be gained in dragging it all up
Again except going after cheap likes and making yourself look like a super fan.

to now bashing and putting down fans who invest their own time to doing some YouTube

Who made you judge, jury and executioner of people on here?

…..

Especially having a pop at Dazzling Dave who is a genuinely good bloke, massive fan and advocate of the club and a massive defender of GON when he was appointed and even on his platforms when people were going in on him.

StaffordWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So we are going from bashing people for over reacting about GON, long after many of us have said we over reacted and went too far….. so what was to be gained in dragging it all up
Again except going after cheap likes and making yourself look like a super fan.

to now bashing and putting down fans who invest their own time to doing some YouTube

Who made you judge, jury and executioner of people on here?

…..

Especially having a pop at Dazzling Dave who is a genuinely good bloke, massive fan and advocate of the club and a massive defender of GON when he was appointed and even on his platforms when people were going in on him.
Agreed, Dave is a good bloke.

Back
Top Bottom