Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

For all Hoddle's failings

L

Langdale Wolf

Fair enough, but for some reason I can't bring myself to give him the credit he probably deserves.

Munich_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That man almost got me giving up on Wolves, and if he hadn't have walked I'd have no longer subbed to WOW and followed the matches. (not much of a threat really but hey)

That said this is a really interesting piece and fair play to the tosspot, but not only to him but the young players who are willing to go abroad and learn a different style of play to improve themselves. It sounds like the team are doing well but I wouldn't like to be a fan if the team fails and becomes nothing more than an experiment for Hoddle.

S

Shergar

I would still have to run him over if I saw him crossing the road.

Wombourne Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That man almost got me giving up on Wolves, and if he hadn't have walked I'd have no longer subbed to WOW and followed the matches. (not much of a threat really but hey)

I felt the same going to the games during Hoddle's reign, it got to the point where I couldn't be bothered to go anymore even though I had a ST

saturday boy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Obviously he's hoping he can redeem himself enough to ensure he isn't reborn as Glenn Hoddle in his next life.

The man was sucking the life out of our club.

glasgowwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Saw an chat on Your on Sky Sports with Cyrille regis who is now an agent... He was saying that a number of Englis / British youngsters that are binned by teh clubs, get the chance to play in europe, Spain, France, etc99.9% reject it because of the Food, life style etc... If I was in there place I would jump at the opportunity

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
These academies are perfect for Hoddle. More people he can sneer at for not being as wonderfully talented as he is.

Waggy's Boots

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He still managed to produce some of the most tedious football played at the molineux in many years. To rub salt into the wound he them walked out on us.
The only positive thing to come out of Hoddles time with us is that he was replaced by a far far superior manager and person in Super Mick.

J

Jameswwfc

I felt the same going to the games during Hoddle's reign, it got to the point where I couldn't be bothered to go anymore even though I had a ST

I remember that feeling, think we had watford on a friday night on sky and me and four mates who all had st's just sat in the local watching it on the tele bored out of our minds.

S

Shergar

He still managed to produce some of the most tedious football played at the molineux in many years. To rub salt into the wound he them walked out on us.
The only positive thing to come out of Hoddles time with us is that he was replaced by a far far superior manager and person in Super Mick.

Give Moxey some credit for making him walk and not having to pay him any compo;)

Munich_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder if any fans on the Mix actually feel he was hard done by or that he shouldn't have gone. Some thought at the time that he had us playing neat, attractive football but whenever I saw it it bored me to tears.

C

Cowes Wolf

I remember watching us beat Reading at the Madejski during his first season, where we played some great football, and the fans were chanting his name. It all seemed to go down hill after then sadly. To be fair to the bloke though, he was given very little to spend in the transfer market.

J

Jameswwfc

I remember watching us beat Reading at the Madejski during his first season, where we played some great football, and the fans were chanting his name. It all seemed to go down hill after then sadly. To be fair to the bloke though, he was given very little to spend in the transfer market.

the little bit of money he did have he brought frankowski so its a good job he didn't have anymore really:)

F

FLEET WOLF

Well actually, thank God (literally) he wasn't given much to spend.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder if any fans on the Mix actually feel he was hard done by or that he shouldn't have gone. Some thought at the time that he had us playing neat, attractive football but whenever I saw it it bored me to tears.

I remember the Ipswich night game live on Sky where we played some of the best football I've ever seen Wolves play....stepovers, dummies, crisp passing, few goals....Ipswich were chasing shadows.

Too few and far between though. Most games i didnt think he was bothered if we won, lost or drew....it was all about him.
I remember Tony Butler at a Molineux talkshow saying "He's trying to use Saturdays for coaching practice.....somebody should tell him the object of professional football is to win matches".

Sums him up for me.....looks like he's found his happiness owning a club where he can't be sacked.

bigbluewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Genius footballer. Misunderstood manager. Probably better as a coach than a manager.

xbomber

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lantern - jawed cretin. only other highlight not mentioned was hull away 2-3

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
Genius footballer. Misunderstood manager. Probably better as a coach than a manager.

Completely agree with this.

His style, methods and ideas are more suited to development level or working with top level technically gifted players.

W

wanderer24

It's quite odd(or not) that he did quite a good job for England and if he hadn't
slated disabled people he could well have gone on to be a success. However as we all know, he tried to get league one players, playing champions league football and the net result was turgid.
He was dreadful and it was a horrible period but he did turn Jody Craddocks career around.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

How do you think he was misunderstood?

He was the most conceited manager I can think of - based on producing the worst football I've had the misfortune to see at Molineux. If he was a player today he'd be another Danny Murphy, moaning about those nasty players tackling him.

I find it telling and pleasing no-one has shown any interest in employing him since he left - I wouldn't wish him on any other club....well maybe one or two!

Reaction score
Lantern - jawed cretin. only other highlight not mentioned was hull away 2-3

I was at that, one of probably only 5 to 10 Hoddle games I saw - no wonder I've not got as bad a memory of him as some people!

The only thing more spectacular than Cort's winner was the own goal Edwards(?) scored. If it had been intentional it'd have been one of the best goals of all time!

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
:eek:...:banghead: You do know what will happen to you... Well according to Hoddle anyway.

I'll take my chances with the God botherer! Out of interest if I put him in a wheelchair would it be his fault because of something he did in a previous life?!

xbomber

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was at that, one of probably only 5 to 10 Hoddle games I saw - no wonder I've not got as bad a memory of him as some people!

The only thing more spectacular than Cort's winner was the own goal Edwards(?) scored. If it had been intentional it'd have been one of the best goals of all time!

You have a much better memory than me. I just remember Aliadiere looking good for us and the Hull fans in reptures singing "2-1 and you $$$$ed it up". Of course we got the winner and every single Wolves fan to a man responded "2-2 and you $$$$ed it up". Hull were desperate and needed the points to survive. I think they managed it with a point or two to spare. They looked a small, desparate team.

Two seasons later they beat us to to the Premier League...

Reaction score
Edwards, being shadowed by Parkin, tried to hook clear a France centre but, from the tightest of angles six-yards to the right of Postma's goal, he succeeded only in hooking the ball into his own net.

Also Mark Noble was on loan for them at the time - never knew that! I can't find highlights of that game, honestly the own goal was immense

bigbluewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How do you think he was misunderstood?

He was the most conceited manager I can think of - based on producing the worst football I've had the misfortune to see at Molineux. If he was a player today he'd be another Danny Murphy, moaning about those nasty players tackling him.

I find it telling and pleasing no-one has shown any interest in employing him since he left - I wouldn't wish him on any other club....well maybe one or two!

Misunderstood in some of his methods. Looking back Eileen Drury, while it definitely did seem bizarre at the time, was a bit like a forerunner to modern-day sports psychologists.

He wasn't the man for Wolves, he proved that as we all know.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember the Ipswich night game live on Sky where we played some of the best football I've ever seen Wolves play....stepovers, dummies, crisp passing, few goals....Ipswich were chasing shadows.

Too few and far between though. Most games i didnt think he was bothered if we won, lost or drew....it was all about him.
I remember Tony Butler at a Molineux talkshow saying "He's trying to use Saturdays for coaching practice.....somebody should tell him the object of professional football is to win matches".

Sums him up for me.....looks like he's found his happiness owning a club where he can't be sacked.

There was also Reading away where we completely outplayed them. On plenty of occasions during our run of draws i thought we were the real deal- we looked good on the ball and purposeful. The season that followed will forever give me nightmares.

Bjorn Star

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I forgot how much I hated Hoddle until this thread.

T

thekentwolf

I love Glenn Hoddle. Made me loads of money. I always had a bet on Wolves to draw and side bet of 1-1.

Frustrating as hell to watch Wolves in another bore draw, but I was a lot richer at the final whistle.

Back
Top Bottom