Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

FA charge GON

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, unlike the earlier errors, which we mostly onfield refs giving poor decisions and VARs failing to over-rule them, the last two have been VARs going out of their way to cancel out goals.

Hardly dare mention the iPad, but the ability of managers to watch the incident, combined with VAR is a huge part of the problem. VAR supposedly guarantees no major errors (but has just cancelled two goals for what infringements that are arguable at most). O'Neil watches that and then sees the ref sent to a screen by a VAR telling him he's just made a clear error. We'd all be pretty mad. Still have to treat people with respect though.
A clear error that took VAR 3/4 minutes to identify. LOB.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I get what you’re saying and also it wasn’t solely down to the ref. The VAR officials basically tell the on field official what decision to make without actually saying it, you can tell from released audio what they think the final outcome should be but don’t want to be seen as re-refereeing.

I think a lot of frustration and friction with managers could be fixed with better behind the scenes communication. Actually talk to managers like human beings and build an actual relationship of trust wherever you go.

The issue is that the way VAR operates effectively is rerefereeing the game, no matter what Webb says. It’s extremely hard for a referee sent to the monitor to go against the opinion of a similarly qualified referee who has spent minutes reviewing multiple tv angles.

In my opinion VAR should be used as a referee assistant only if the referee asks for it. So if the onfield officials see no issue with a goal, then it’s a goal, end of story. But if the ref is unsure, or their assistant says they saw something but the ref didn’t, then the ref can ask for VAR to provide a suitable replay of the incident. This would mean VAR no longer needs a qualified referee to sit in Stockley Park, as only the VAR technicians are needed. This would change the entire dynamic and it would be very clear to those watching if the ref had some doubt over a decision.

Beastier

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From a Wolves perspective it really feels like these things always go against us and there is a total lack of consistency.

The absolute howlers that have gone against us - some of which acknowledged by Webb as wrong - didn't even refer the ref to the monitor in-game as it was felt they were debatable either way and so default to going with the original on-field decision.

Then we have the "goals" against West Ham & Bournemouth (the worst of the lot from what I can see) which (if we can accept to some minor degree) were debatable either way however - as original on-field decision favoured Wolves - bafflingly the ref was referred to on-screen monitor and let's face it we all knows what happens next (in fact guess which team suffered adversely in the only instance I can recall when a ref stuck with his original decision after checking the monitor).

For me not just wrong decisions but a total lack of any consistency in approach to dealing with them and seemingly erring whichever way is in the name of stitching Wolves up.

All very irrational I know but when for once do we get to benefit from one of these mess ups

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've read, (only on here), about Shaun Derry's supposedly tough guy personna, but don't know the background.
Could someone fill me in? And when I say "fill me in", I'm speaking metaphorically.
He was a known as a player for being rough and ready

Got sacked from palace for giving it the big un to younger players or something then palace under woy reemployed him? Then he come to us and miffed woy

rubyloo

Reaction score
In my opinion VAR should be used as a referee assistant only if the referee asks for it.

100% yes - this is basically the solution which would allow the idiots in charge to completely dial down VAR without losing face.

Unfortunately, this decision would require common sense, courage and pragmatism - none of which exist within PGMOL.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
100% yes - this is basically the solution which would allow the idiots in charge to completely dial down VAR without losing face.

Unfortunately, this decision would require common sense, courage and pragmatism - none of which exist within PGMOL.
Wonderful.... So Mike Dean still wouldn't have given the Pogba foul on Ruben or Hooper the blatant Onana penalty... Frankly not worth having at all if that is so.

rubyloo

Reaction score
Wonderful.... So Mike Dean still wouldn't have given the Pogba foul on Ruben or Hooper the blatant Onana penalty... Frankly not worth having at all if that is so.

I would prefer occasional human error to the absolute farce we have at the moment.

I remember walking out of grounds occasionally thinking the ref didn't give us anything today etc , but never walking out feeling as apoplectic with rage as i did after west ham.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The point is that it shouldn’t be used outside of rare instances where the onfield officials are not sure in their decision based on what they’ve seen. That returns the game to close to pre VAR days while keeping the benefit of the ref viewing a replay / different angle if needed. It’s fairly balanced in its effect too. If the ref used it too much, then PGMOL would think them unfit. If not enough and they miss calls, then they will get punished too.

If you asked most fans how they expected VAR to work before its introduction, it’s more like this. Instead, in the current system, the Stockley Park based VAR ref is effectively in charge of all the key calls, and that is simply wrong as we’ve seen ever since its introduction.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The point is that it shouldn’t be used outside of rare instances where the onfield officials are not sure in their decision based on what they’ve seen. That returns the game to close to pre VAR days while keeping the benefit of the ref viewing a replay / different angle if needed. It’s fairly balanced in its effect too. If the ref used it too much, then PGMOL would think them unfit. If not enough and they miss calls, then they will get punished too.

If you asked most fans how they expected VAR to work before its introduction, it’s more like this. Instead, in the current system, the Stockley Park based VAR ref is effectively in charge of all the key calls, and that is simply wrong as we’ve seen ever since its introduction.
In general l agree with the thrust of your post.

xbomber

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can he use facetime to the dressing room or is that banned?
Can't use facetime but I'll bet that if you look close enough at the rules there's nothing specifically against Gary climbing in a big cardboard box with a hole in the top and doing his teamtalk via a glove puppet. May also increase engagement with the younger players we've turned to.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Serious question. Would it be possible to suspend Gary on a kind of cradle so he's effectively 10 feet above the ground in front of the BW? He wouldn't be 'on' the touchline as such and would also get a great aerial view to help him with his tactical changes.
Not sure being above the BW would help the team playing at the etihad

Thank you Sir Jack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Serious question. Would it be possible to suspend Gary on a kind of cradle so he's effectively 10 feet above the ground in front of the BW? He wouldn't be 'on' the touchline as such and would also get a great aerial view to help him with his tactical changes.
Either that or employ a medium to channel his thoughts.

Rabid Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Great plan except one minor flaw, we are away.

Nige

Reaction score
Wait until we play Man City to ban Him.. Who would of guessed that :rolleyes: corrupt to the core this league.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What is he actually alleged to have done, anyway? I’ve read something about trying to kick the refs door down and being restrained but I’m taking that with a pinch of salt.
Lol…I would too. That moves over into the realm of criminality. Can’t see GON taking on the rozzers. :tearsofjoy:

• Haha
Reactions: Ned

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The issue is that the way VAR operates effectively is rerefereeing the game, no matter what Webb says. It’s extremely hard for a referee sent to the monitor to go against the opinion of a similarly qualified referee who has spent minutes reviewing multiple tv angles.

In my opinion VAR should be used as a referee assistant only if the referee asks for it. So if the onfield officials see no issue with a goal, then it’s a goal, end of story. But if the ref is unsure, or their assistant says they saw something but the ref didn’t, then the ref can ask for VAR to provide a suitable replay of the incident. This would mean VAR no longer needs a qualified referee to sit in Stockley Park, as only the VAR technicians are needed. This would change the entire dynamic and it would be very clear to those watching if the ref had some doubt over a decision.
I like it…

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
GON giving Wolves instructions via semaphore

IMG_0824.jpeg

Achilles Last Stand

Reaction score

Please don't mention that **** M D by name on here, I get angry everytime I see his name mentioned...

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

In my opinion VAR should be used as a referee assistant only if the referee asks for it. So if the onfield officials see no issue with a goal, then it’s a goal, end of story. But if the ref is unsure, or their assistant says they saw something but the ref didn’t, then the ref can ask for VAR to provide a suitable replay of the incident. This would mean VAR no longer needs a qualified referee to sit in Stockley Park, as only the VAR technicians are needed. This would change the entire dynamic and it would be very clear to those watching if the ref had some doubt over a decision
Fine idea in principal but the 3 officials will not see all things.
Example…..Henry for France handled the ball vs Ireland and scored a goal.

Just bad luck but none of the officials saw the handball and so the goal stood.

In that case I’d want VAR.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I understand that perspective, but I disagree. Football was originally a sport consumed by spectators in the stadium. The officials are there, and they are connnected to fans. Having a referee hundreds of miles away effectively in control disconnects the fans in the stadium from what’s happening. So a system which puts the on field officials back in real control, is essential.

As for accuracy, in the days before VAR, there were errors, but they were infrequent and accepted by most fans as human error. Since VAR, despite the assertions of Webb, most fans would say there are more, not less errors. Maybe that’s because the margins of error are smaller with all those lines and replays, but that’s applying a degree of “accuracy” to officiating that is unnecessary and unhelpful to anyone except armchair fans and pundits.

So for me, the sport needs to return to one where what happens in the stadium takes precedence, and tv audiences and pundits just watch and enjoy rather than feeling like they are the ones in charge.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I understand that perspective, but I disagree. Football was originally a sport consumed by spectators in the stadium. The officials are there, and they are connnected to fans. Having a referee hundreds of miles away effectively in control disconnects the fans in the stadium from what’s happening. So a system which puts the on field officials back in real control, is essential.

As for accuracy, in the days before VAR, there were errors, but they were infrequent and accepted by most fans as human error. Since VAR, despite the assertions of Webb, most fans would say there are more, not less errors. Maybe that’s because the margins of error are smaller with all those lines and replays, but that’s applying a degree of “accuracy” to officiating that is unnecessary and unhelpful to anyone except armchair fans and pundits.

So for me, the sport needs to return to one where what happens in the stadium takes precedence, and tv audiences and pundits just watch and enjoy rather than feeling like they are the ones in charge.
I agree but the genie is out of the bottle.

Oldvic161

Groupie
Reaction score
Let VAR run in the background BUT….let the referee make the decisions and only allow each team one use of VAR per match.

Wellington Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I would prefer occasional human error to the absolute farce we have at the moment.

I remember walking out of grounds occasionally thinking the ref didn't give us anything today etc , but never walking out feeling as apoplectic with rage as i did after west ham.
This is it for me. I don't want to comment how others feel, but I now feel football is deliberately robbing Wolves and cheating us. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but this is how VAR makes me feel.

Never felt this with real time reffing. And i/we are the real end consumer of the game

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There’s something very unsavoury and unpalatable about being denied the right to speak freely and openly.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

But the Irish players saw it, which is why a (limited) appeals system is probably the best way forward.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree but the genie is out of the bottle.

You’re likely right, but I still think if it’s to stay, then a radical change such as that I suggested, is necessary to address the fundamental issues and concerns raised by the vast majority of matchgoing fans.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You’re likely right, but I still think if it’s to stay, then a radical change such as that I suggested, is necessary to address the fundamental issues and concerns raised by the vast majority of matchgoing fans.
You got my vote.

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Let VAR run in the background BUT….let the referee make the decisions and only allow each team one use of VAR per match.

Maybe that's the way forward get rid of the VAR refs who like to micromanage everything.

It work well in Europe tonight but you know in the Premier League it would be stop start.

Poztin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gary said in his presser that he'll be in the changing room pre/post match and halftime. So he'll just need fisher price walkie talkies during the match to get his instructions down.

Back
Top Bottom