Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

England Squad

cobweb

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hodgsons first squad is one of the most important that an international manager can pick. This time tomorrow we'll know who's in and who's out.

So, who do you think he will choose?

Here's what I think.

GK - Hart, Green, Lewis

FB - Cole, Baines, Walker, Richards

CB - Terry, Ferdinand, Cahill, Lescott, Jones

MF - Gerrard, Barry, Milner, Scholes, Young, Johnson, Lennon,

F - Rooney, Wellbeck, Sturridge, Carroll

It's important to have players who can play in different position in case of injuries/suspension. That being the case...

Richards can play RB or CB - Lescott can play CB or LB - Jones can play RB, CB or CM - Milner can play CM or RM - Young can play LM or ACM - Sturridge can play LM or CF.

That's 6 of the squad who can cover every position on the pitch. Flexibilty may prove to be important as we (hopefully) progress through the rounds.

Last edited by a moderator:

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not a million miles away from you

GK

Hart
Green
Stockdale

DF

Walker
Johnson
Baines
Cole
Ferdinand
Lescott
Cahill
Jones

MF

Parker
Carrick
Gerrard
Lampard
Young
Walcott
Scholes

ST

Rooney
Welbeck
Sturridge
Carroll

Leaves one space. I'd take another wide player, Johnson or Lennon, don't think Ox is ready yet. Defoe Crouch and Bent unlucky too, although Sturridge might not make it

BTW I expect Carrick won't go and Barry will, and Scholes not to go and Milner go. Sadly.

It's a tough job. There's a lot of players going to be on edge.

cobweb

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Regarding Parker- I thought he was injured and out? I'm sure I heard that on the radio this morning. If not he'd obviously be in the squad - Probably as captain.

B

Bostin

It will be important to have partnerships on the field which have been developed at club level, e.g Terry & Cahill, Lescott, Hart & Richards, Lennon & Walker. Not saying they should be picked based on that, but it is important.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With the exception of Terry I agree.

It is so tough. One or even two of Walker, Johnson and Richards is gonna be disappointed.

Defoe, Crouch and Bent may miss out

Downing ($$$$ I know but still a regular squad member), Johnson and Lennon may struggle

Carrick, Man Utd's best player this season for a lot of fans, probably will miss out.

It is good to see.

cobweb

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know he's struggling with an Achillies - I'm hopeful he will be ok. No Lampard?

The only reason I didn't choose him was the fact that I picked Scholes. The only reason Scholes will go is if he knows he's going to play in central midfield and Gerrard, Milner, Barry and even Jones would all be ahead of Lampard in CM for me.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The only reason I didn't choose him was the fact that I picked Scholes. The only reason Scholes will go is if he knows he's going to play in central midfield and Gerrard, Milner, Barry and even Jones would all be ahead of Lampard in CM for me.

See I don't get Barry or to an even lesser extent Milner.

Barry does a job, but for me he is the weakest of Citeh's team by a mile. Milner - I wouldn't even know where to play him.

B

Bostin

With the exception of Terry I agree.

It is so tough. One or even two of Walker, Johnson and Richards is gonna be disappointed.

Defoe, Crouch and Bent may miss out

Downing ($$$$ I know but still a regular squad member), Johnson and Lennon may struggle

Carrick, Man Utd's best player this season for a lot of fans, probably will miss out.

It is good to see.

If Stuart Downing goes ahead of Adam Johnson or Aaron Lennon, we are $$$$ed

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Stuart Downing goes ahead of Adam Johnson or Aaron Lennon, we are $$$$ed

Did Roy sign him for Liverpool?? I think all of them could miss out, especially if Sturridge gets picked.

If I had to choose, it would be Lennon from those 3 purely for pace.

Ivegotawolvesscarf

Reaction score
I really rate Adam Johnson but has he had enough game-time at City? I also think he'll try and call up Foster.

cobweb

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dalglish signed Downing at the start of this season didn't he? He paid more for him than Man U paid for YounG which was insane. I heard today Downing has 0 assists and 0 goals for this season. How he can be picked with that form is anyones guess.

B

Bostin

Dalglish signed Downing at the start of this season didn't he? He paid more for him than Man U paid for YounG which was insane. I heard today Downing has 0 assists and 0 goals for this season. How he can be picked with that form is anyones guess.

Correct. He's been cack, this season and every season before it.

Johnson is a game changer, he always seems to score when he comes on

UEAwolf

Reaction score
GK - Hart, Carson, Butland

FB - Cole, Baines, Walker, Johnson

CB - Jagielka, Ferdinand, Cahill, Lescott, Jones

MF - Gerrard, Barry, Milner, Lampard, Young, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain,

F - Rooney, Wellbeck, Bent, Crouch

B

Bostin

GK - Hart, Carson, Butland

FB - Cole, Baines, Walker, Johnson

CB - Jagielka, Ferdinand, Cahill, Lescott, Jones

MF - Gerrard, Barry, Milner, Lampard, Young, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain,

F - Rooney, Wellbeck, Bent, Crouch

I'd definitely sacrifice Jagielka for another striker. Rooney is out for the first 3 games, and Bent is a massive doubt, Wellbeck a minor one. We don't really need 5 CB's surely?

UEAwolf

Reaction score
No - quite possibly. Is Parker definitely out? He obviously would have been in my selection had there been the slightest possibility.

Ferdinand injury prone/Jones can play as DM should Barry be injured/rested.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
I think you have to take Defoe as he is the most natural finisher we have. Based on their history at Fulham, I also think that Roy will take Zamora as his target-man option.

GK - Hart, Green, Forster

Def - Walker, Johnson, Cole, Baines, Ferdinand, Cahill, Jones, Lescott

Mid - Parker/Carrick, Scholes, Gerrard, Walcott, Young, Lampard, Milner

Att - Rooney, Welbeck, Zamora, Sturridge, Defoe

SuperTigerWolf

Reaction score
See I don't get Barry or to an even lesser extent Milner.

Barry does a job, but for me he is the weakest of Citeh's team by a mile. Milner - I wouldn't even know where to play him.

Milner works well with Richards and allows him to get forward. The two of the them were fabulous when City ripped United.

Dezzieg-wolves

Reaction score
GK - Hart, Green, Ruddy
FB - Cole, Walker, Richards, Baines
CB - Cahill, Lescott, Jones, Ferdinand, Jagielka
MF - Sinclair, Milner, Young, A.Johnson, Parker (if fit), Lampard, Walcott
F - Rooney, Holt, Welbeck/Sturridge, Defoe

For me, Ruddy deserves a chance, he has been brilliant for Norwich and in all honesty unless Hart gets injured, then none of the other keepers will be used. Good experience for him.

I'd take Sinclair from Swansea as well, when he puts his mind to it he is a brilliant player and I think he would benefit from being given the chance to shine for his country in a major tournament.

I don't like Crouch or Carroll, and purely on goals scored this year I think Holt deserves a chance. Poacher of a striker, so he can make things from other players wastefulness. Defoe ahead of Bent, as I think Bent is poor in an England shirt and shouldn't get in the squad as soon as he is fit. Welbeck or Sturridge, I can't decide which one tbf, Either one would be a good foil for the first 2 games when Rooney is banned, but I don't think we would benefit from taking both of them.

Just my opinion of course, and I'm glad it isn't going to be my decision on who does or doesn't go.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I dont see why Downing should be picked even ahead of Jarvis. He has been dreadful this season.
Another outside bet should be Dyer the Swansea winger or Britton from Swansea.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Richards hasn't been starting for Man City recently has he?

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Young is a guaranteed starter for England though.

Richards could be 3rd choice

Jones is probably 5th choice CB but versatile, even more so than Richards

B

Bostin

I dont see why Downing should be picked even ahead of Jarvis. He has been dreadful this season.
Another outside bet should be Dyer the Swansea winger or Britton from Swansea.

Sinclair over Dyer for me, or is that who you meant?

9 goals from Jarvis this year. Downing has 0, Young 8, Milner 3, Lennon 4, Johnson 7, SInclair 7.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are either of you trying to tell me Young or Jones have had a better season than Richards?

Moot point. Richards is potentially 3rd choice in his position. Young is our best left winger??jones versatility counts for him

And why hasn't Richards started recently If he's been so impressive?

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are either of you trying to tell me Young or Jones have had a better season than Richards?

As North West Says Jones is very versatile and Young is now a regular starter for England and doesn't have the same level of competition that Richards has in his position.

SuperTigerWolf

Reaction score
Moot point. Richards is potentially 3rd choice in his position. Young is our best left winger??jones versatility counts for him

And why hasn't Richards started recently If he's been so impressive?

Maybe controversial but because I think his manager gets it wrong in being over cautious (if Wenger, Fergie or even Redknapp had City's squad the league would have been won by Early April). Richards and Walker are pretty much at the same level I think.

It can also be batted straight back at you, if Jones and Young are so good why haven't they started? (By the way I like Jones and feel he's the natural replacement for Terry but he's been messed around positionally)

SuperTigerWolf

Reaction score
As North West Says Jones is very versatile and Young is now a regular starter for England and doesn't have the same level of competition that Richards has in his position.

Neither of you have answered the question.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Young has been injured then struggled for form. He's been behind Giggs when not playing but has recently kept Nani out.

Jones has had Ferdinand and a resurgent Evans in front of him.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neither of you have answered the question.

In a way I have. I don't think they have had better seasons than Richards but they dont face the same level of competition in their positions as Richards does at right back. It also helps with Jones versatility from a squad point of view as he can play anywhere along the defence and in midfield. Richards cannot do this and has Johnson and Walker in direct competition who are playing more regularly for their respective clubs.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I thin they've all had similar seasons.

And I haven't answered it directly because even if Richards had had a markedly better season than the other two, I still think Young and even Jones have more of a chance of selection than Richards.

UEAwolf

Reaction score
And Johnson can play at LB.

Not sure what the rules are re the amount of subs available during the Euros, but Johnson could be on the bench as a backup RB and LB rather than Richards & Baines.

Back
Top Bottom