Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Are we really the least-educated?

R

reanswolf

Britain's degree blackspots: the best and worst educated places

As a diversion from all the transfer talk, I stumbled across these official figures.

Let me stress, these are 10 years old now, but I was still shocked.
Whilst the headline concentrates on the % with or without higher qualifications, it also gives '% of people in constituencies without any qualification'.

The top 10 in the UK are: -

1) Birmingham Sparkbrook 37%

2) Wolverhampton South-east 36%

3) Wolverhampton North-east 32%

4) Birmingham Hodge Hill 30%

5) Glasgow East 29%
Bootle (Liverpool) 29%

6) Nottingham North 28%

7) Walsall North 27%
Liverpool West Derby 27%
Stoke Central 27%

8) Burnley 26%
Birmingham Ladywood 26%
Manchester Blackley 26%

9) Birmingham Yardley 25%
Barking 25%
Bradford West 25%
Glasgow North-east 25%
Leicester East 25%
Poplar / Canning Town (East London) 25%
Stoke North 25%
Motherwell & Wishaw 25%

10) Tottenham (London) 24%

Wolverhampton's other constituency, Wolverhampton West is 17% and far more average.

But overall these figures really surprised me. I expected Wolverhampton to be typical of most cities, but not considerably worse. Is the education system failing us, or is it just individual choice?

We ay vat fick am we?

S

ShropshireLad

A few years ago there was a MENSA IQ test on TV and you had to nominate the football club you supported as one of the registration details. West Brom came top. This isn't kidding.

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about that too much.
You got a nice amount of very smart and highly educated supporters who presently live overseas.
Be nice to them, and you'll be OK.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Those wards are pretty much the poorest places in the country, if you added a few more Manchester & Liverpool areas.
It's not a great stat looking to the future is it.

iamthenewno2

Reaction score
You would think because of the university the number of those with no qualification would be lower than areas with no university, otherwise how do the students get accepted?

The Wolf Of Wombourne

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Britain's degree blackspots: the best and worst educated places

As a diversion from all the transfer talk, I stumbled across these official figures.

Let me stress, these are 10 years old now, but I was still shocked.
Whilst the headline concentrates on the % with or without higher qualifications, it also gives '% of people in constituencies without any qualification'.

The top 10 in the UK are: -

1) Birmingham Sparkbrook 37%

2) Wolverhampton South-east 36%

3) Wolverhampton North-east 32%

4) Birmingham Hodge Hill 30%

5) Glasgow East 29%
Bootle (Liverpool) 29%

6) Nottingham North 28%

7) Walsall North 27%
Liverpool West Derby 27%
Stoke Central 27%

8) Burnley 26%
Birmingham Ladywood 26%
Manchester Blackley 26%

9) Birmingham Yardley 25%
Barking 25%
Bradford West 25%
Glasgow North-east 25%
Leicester East 25%
Poplar / Canning Town (East London) 25%
Stoke North 25%
Motherwell & Wishaw 25%

10) Tottenham (London) 24%

Wolverhampton's other constituency, Wolverhampton West is 17% and far more average.

But overall these figures really surprised me. I expected Wolverhampton to be typical of most cities, but not considerably worse. Is the education system failing us, or is it just individual choice?

We ay vat fick am we?

Just read the transfer thread on here and it will tell you everything you need to know.

D

Deleted member 5962

Interesting topic.

As a matter of interest, as it's a bit from personal experience. How many were pressured by their parents to go into full time work at 16 rather than persue higher education? (This was actually the reason I left the city)

Wolfheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rubbiss tread. Im wel headucated.

poblem iz wee get bad reputution coz wee did knot go 2 privat skool.

Wolfheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Now, now. You need to be ready to learn.
Enunciate correctly and the world is your oyster.
NO!! Don't eat it.

The irony is, writing like that actually hurts my brain more then doing it properly. Maybe thick people aren't lazy. Maybe they are more evolved then us?

Stick that in your crack pipe and smoke it science!!

D

Deleted member 5962

Now, now. You need to be ready to learn.
Enunciate correctly and the world is your oyster.
NO!! Don't eat it.

You want a yam yam to enunciate correctly? Might be asking a bit much..

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No!
I refuse to go off-topic.
Isn't this the same place that Boris Johnson resides?

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The drive for everybody to have a degree in something makes these figures a tad misleading perhaps. Just because you don't have one doesn't make you uneducated.I would also question the use of 'blackspot' in the title. This language only serves to stigmatize those where it's perfectly reasonable to assume they are articulate individuals.

Degrees have replaced many of the more vocational training in many trades and professions. Thing is are they any better than those vocational courses they replaced? Some of them in my experience include much 'fluff' and take three years where perhaps two, or even one, would suffice to get those learning up to speed.

Degrees should give the receivers the ability to approach issues with an amount of rational argument but because you don't have one doesn't mean you still can't do that.

Of course IMO the sad part is someone with a degree often get preference over candidates without one when that degree is not really relevant to the job on offer. The loss of 'proper' jobs, where in the past learning on the job was considered as important, have declined and what we have to do is gear up for even more losses as the robots do those jobs.

There will, as far as I can see, have to be a universal income paid to all and be non means tested.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wasnt wolverhampton/black country built on industry? Didnt the majority move straight into apprenticeships, the local steelworks, foundry or similar?

I think if you break it down the youngsters in the town will be a higher percentage.

As an aside, Eleanor Smith just demonstrates what we're dealing with

Last edited:
R

reanswolf

Industry has mainly gone though, well compared to the old days.
The situation in the city may be considerably better now though, it was 10 years ago.
Just how uneducated Wolverhampton was really surprised me.

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
3 areas in Scotland, 3 in London/Essex, but the remaining 17 are all in a fairly contained homogeneous (former industrial) region running from the North West to the East Midlands

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Isn’t that just a list of poorest off areas of the country, surely qualifications is just part of that?

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's all very well having a high IQ but it doesn't necessarily mean you have any common sense.

Yamalroite

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wim maybe fick. But we am a right bunch of sexy *******s ay we.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's all very well having a high IQ but it doesn't necessarily mean you have any common sense.

It usually does. It doesn't always mean that you've been lucky enough to get a good education though.

Back
Top Bottom