Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Apollo 11 ..50 years, did you watch?

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On Sunday evening, June 23, CNN will show the movie Apollo 11, with no narration or interviews and with NASA, will show footage never seen before. This is HD.
Check your time zone and viewing platforms.

Also...the making of this movie
'Apollo 11' documentary: How the film was made - CNN Video

P.S.....little know fact, in mission control, those aren’t computer monitors the ground support are watching. Believe it or not......they’re looking at tv screens. The TVs are televised from a different building where all the info is hand typed onto a blank pad and filmed and shown in the control room.

Last edited:

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
On Sunday evening, June 23, CNN will show the movie Apollo 11, with no narration or interviews and with NASA, will show footage never seen before. This is HD.
Check your time zone and viewing platforms.

Also...the making of this movie
'Apollo 11' documentary: How the film was made - CNN Video

P.S.....little know fact, in mission control, those aren’t computer monitors the ground support are watching. Believe it or not......they’re looking at tv screens. The TVs are televised from a different building where all the info is hand typed onto a blank pad and filmed and shown in the control room.
Thanks for this

Scott in the Sand

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I also recommend “For all Mankind” which is a 1989 documentary about the Apollo missions in total. It uses original NASA footage with commentary by astronauts and NASA staff. You can probably find it online these days.

It’s a superb programme (movie length) with some fantastic, unusual footage.

My three favourites were:

A. A spacewalk scene where the astronaut is very brightly lit outside the capsule as he floats serenely above the earth whilst travelling at thousands of miles an hour (I also noticed that a loose glove came out of the capsule with him when he exits).

B. The TLI (Trans Lunar Injection), where the crew are already in orbit round the earth and they burn the engine for nearly 6 minutes and the spacecraft accelerates to 39,000 km/h. At the end of the 6 minutes the earth is now a full disc behind them. The sense of acceleration in the film is palpable.

C. ‘Earthrise’ as Apollo 8 orbits the moon for the first time. Absolutely stunning and unique.

Well worth finding and watching if you get the chance. The footage is part of human history. Everyone should watch it, if only to realise what a fragile little ball we live on.

Edit: I‘ve been lucky enough to meet Al Worden, Command Module Pilot of Apollo 15 and Aleksander Volkov a cosmonaut on Salyut / Soyuz and the Mir space station. Both fascinating and humble men.

Last edited:

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Always found it interesting to learn about space. Loved that film First Man all about Neil Armstrong.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apollo was an incredible achievement in such a short space of time. There some great books on it where you will find tiny gems of information.
If anybody is interested in this I would recommend reading Tom Wolve’s The Right Stuff.....fabulous book but it has a major flaw.....it comes to an end.....lol.

NavyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not on in UK? Can't find it on my listings.

Scott in the Sand

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The one I was talking about can be found on youtube.

Search for Nat Geo For All Mankind. It’s 1hr 22mins long.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve read different books about Apollo over the years but for those interested in Apollo 11, rather than the whole moon project, I would recommend reading The Rocket Men by Craig Nelson. Great book.

Also, NASA has some new restored videos and photos on this link....
NASA - Restored Apollo 11 Moonwalk Video

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anybody watch this and where were you? How old were you?....( ladies don’t have to answer that...lol).
I was 15 in Dublin and it was coming on about 2am or so. Surprisingly, my mother(because she usually would have little interest whereas my dad was always more interested in NASA), was who set the alarm clock to wake my younger brother and I.
Took an age for the event to happen ( tv people talking and talking, trying to fill the delay)but eventually, there they were......wow.
Over the next few weeks good colour images were being published in magazines. I collected many but lost over the years.

Last edited:

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Trivia...
What were the first words spoken on the moon surface?

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Honeysuckle Creek is an old NASA station outside Canberra that received and relayed the communications, mainly because it was one of the only places on earth that had a direct line of sight to the moon at the time they came off the ship.
I went there a few years ago and it's derelict with a chain link fence around it now, replaced by a smart new NASA deep space base nearer to the city but still away from all light pollution.

When the moon landing took place, typically Australian, nothing worked properly and they were basically adjusting this comms system with an electronics kit and their bare hands.
One bloke had to stand there physically holding it together and adjusting it to keep a signal, while the rest of the world, totally dependent on him, watched on TV which he couldn't see because he didn't have a monitor.
He said by the time he got home to his wife a few days later, he had to admit that he still hadn't actually watched it himself though it literally passed through his hands.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One of my favourite films is The Dish which I believe is a somewhat fictionalised account of Honeysuckle Creek. The totally under rated Sam Neill is as usual excellent in one of the lead roles. The part where the American Ambassador visits and the local school play the American national anthem and they play the theme to Hawaii 5 - 0 in error is pure gold in my view !

I really enjoyed reading Andrew Chaikin's brilliant book all about the Apollo program " A man on the moon ". Another good one I read was by Andrew Smith called " Moon Dust " it is all about what happened to the astronauts and how they coped with life upon returning ( some of them not very well as let's face once you have returned from the moon there surely is nothing that can match that feeling )

My older brother was a massive follower of Apollo and built the Airfix models of the Saturn 5, the lunar and command modules and indeed several astronauts themselves. Pretty sure there were baseball type collector cards out and he had them as well.

I was only 4 so I do not remember Apollo 11 ( apparently my brother was woken up by my Dad so they could watch it ) I do remember some of the later missions as James Burke would come on at various times of the missions and discuss what was happening. Amazing fact is that the Apollo moon landing on July 20/21 was the first time ever that the BBC and ITV had broadcast throughout the night !

Last edited:

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You're all ****ing wrong,
"It's one small step for man,,,,,,
[Plants one foot in the Mojave desert..sorry the moon]
,,,,,,one giant leap for mankind.":D

D

Deleted member 3573J

These were the words said on the moon as they got out the "lunar lander".

Scott in the Sand

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Obviously I was wrong on the exact wording but your post makes me wonder what were the first words. Perhaps “Shut down”? or “ Engine arm is off”?
I think it is genuinely “Contact Light”, by which I take him to mean either:

A. They had contacted the surface lightly or, more likely:
B. A light had come on confirming contact.

Either way “Contact Light” would be the first words from the surface.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it is genuinely “Contact Light”, by which I take him to mean either:

A. They had contacted the surface lightly or, more likely:
B. A light had come on confirming contact.

Either way “Contact Light” would be the first words from the surface.
The lunar craft had a wire or cable,(about 2 ft. long) dangling from the foot of the craft and when that touched the surface it triggered the ‘contact light’ on the console, giving Armstrong an idea of how high he was from the surface.
So I think from your transcript yesterday, ‘shutdown ‘ might most likely be the first words from the surface although every trivia game gives “Houston, Tranquility base etc....” as the answer. I, myself always thought that until last weekend.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have always been envious of anyone who was fortunate enough to see an Apollo Saturn 5 take off that really must have been incredible and quite literally out of this world !

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have always been envious of anyone who was fortunate enough to see an Apollo Saturn 5 take off that really must have been incredible and quite literally out of this world !
Have you seen the new movie Apollo 11......the lift off resolution is fantastic and some of the colour stills from the surface are fantastic.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have you seen the new movie Apollo 11......the lift off resolution is fantastic and some of the colour stills from the surface are fantastic.

Not yet but I intend too. I thought in Ron Howard's truly magnificent film Apollo 13 the launch sequence was outstanding as I had never seen it from what the astronauts experienced.

Back
Top Bottom