Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Molineux redevelopment

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No it doesn't matter. Just pondering where we'll get the supporters to fill such magnificent monuments. We've only been good for three months ... she's still a dirty bird and not a classy lady. Mmmm ...

If we keep doing well, the fans will come back i believe and we will attract new ones.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What I do think is that Laurie and Jeff are more in tune and care about us fans than ever before. When Jack rebuilt Molineux it was at a time when new stadiums were being built across the country, the designs and imagination were limited but the facilities were a massive leap from those that had been in place since pre-WWII.

Standards and designs have leapt forward at such a pace in the last 10 years that the facilities we have now seems quite dated and are cramped.

The North Bank only cost £16m, that was cheap, in build and design, and it shows. Two major objectives of that rebuild was more corporate facilities and customers and closer to the pitch. The build failed on three counts:
  • As modern day corporate facilities go, they are a bit average, there are better bars in the Town than WV1, it feels a bit low rent and the Asda burger fiasco typified the shape and tacky nature of these corporate services.
  • "We're Wolverhampton" - not to denigrate us, but really those fans that want to sit behind the goal aren't interested in corporate facilities. The Social Club nature of Waggy's and the other bar were fine for us. Those fans are now denied access and squeezed into the afterthought that is the North Bank bar.
  • Bringing it closer to the pitch and creating a more intimidating atmosphere - yes it was inched closer but the roof doesn't cover it and the seats at the front are isolated by the concrete walls that segregate the disabled supporters areas. Hardly conducive to creating an atmosphere.
Jeff and Laurie need to consult before they design and build, yes they need some spectacular corporate facilities but they'll be in the main stand (The Billy Wright), but tampering with the "behind the goals stands" and trying to change the demographics is a dangerous game that Morgan and Moxey got disastrously wrong.

I was speaking to a Bristol City fan at work and he told me about their new sports bar that is in the ground (see below). They can't stand it. There's a reason why McGhee's, The Billy Wright, The Stile etc are full before games and it's to do with us being Football Fans going to a game, not a load of lads or lasses on a night out.
sportsbarpizzeria1.jpg

Good post, but I have to say I like the North Bank bar. I normally take my Dad and it is too far to
town to walk, so we use the stadium bar. Its crowded, but a good atmosphere and nice layout and
decor.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Suncorp is fantastic, but not just the stadium itself. Outside the ground and the access to facilities are superb.

Had a look at it. Looks like a more garish version of the Ricoh. Not a great advert for your argument.

TeddyWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Right enough of this crap of moving to Asda or rotating the pitch or digging down
Before the Manchester city game two people high up in wolves went to see Alan cotterall partnership architects ( north bank) the Steve bull will be knocked at the end of the season If we are promoted
I can not say who I know and why someone in Melbourne should know
Wactch this space

So if we reach the play off final will the diggers be poised and ready to pounce should we win, but go home if we lose?
Surely they will make the decision before the last game of the season.
I could understand them not wanting to announce it until we're safely up.
And AFL designed the new North Bank.

Not doubting your info, by the way.

Last edited:

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Had a look at it. Looks like a more garish version of the Ricoh. Not a great advert for your argument.
Suncorp is a fantastic stadium, has underground transport , dedicated bus lanes in and out, generates a great atmoshpere and has world class catering facilities..... been there loads of times and I wish Molineux was built the same way

greco wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So if we reach the play off final will the diggers be poised and ready to pounce should we win, but go home if we lose?
Surely they will make the decision before the last game of the season.
I could understanding them not wanting to announce it until we're safely up.
And AFL designed the new North Bank.

Not doubting your info, by the way.
But ACP have it on their website as one of their projects.

D

Deleted member 4453

What I do think is that Laurie and Jeff are more in tune and care about us fans than ever before. When Jack rebuilt Molineux it was at a time when new stadiums were being built across the country, the designs and imagination were limited but the facilities were a massive leap from those that had been in place since pre-WWII.

Standards and designs have leapt forward at such a pace in the last 10 years that the facilities we have now seems quite dated and are cramped.

The North Bank only cost £16m, that was cheap, in build and design, and it shows. Two major objectives of that rebuild was more corporate facilities and customers and closer to the pitch. The build failed on three counts:
  • As modern day corporate facilities go, they are a bit average, there are better bars in the Town than WV1, it feels a bit low rent and the Asda burger fiasco typified the shape and tacky nature of these corporate services.
  • "We're Wolverhampton" - not to denigrate us, but really those fans that want to sit behind the goal aren't interested in corporate facilities. The Social Club nature of Waggy's and the other bar were fine for us. Those fans are now denied access and squeezed into the afterthought that is the North Bank bar.
  • Bringing it closer to the pitch and creating a more intimidating atmosphere - yes it was inched closer but the roof doesn't cover it and the seats at the front are isolated by the concrete walls that segregate the disabled supporters areas. Hardly conducive to creating an atmosphere.
Jeff and Laurie need to consult before they design and build, yes they need some spectacular corporate facilities but they'll be in the main stand (The Billy Wright), but tampering with the "behind the goals stands" and trying to change the demographics is a dangerous game that Morgan and Moxey got disastrously wrong.

I was speaking to a Bristol City fan at work and he told me about their new sports bar that is in the ground (see below). They can't stand it. There's a reason why McGhee's, The Billy Wright, The Stile etc are full before games and it's to do with us being Football Fans going to a game, not a load of lads or lasses on a night out.
sportsbarpizzeria1.jpg

good post. That looks like a nightclub. Looks quality though and would be great for potential beam backs of away games

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
good post. That looks like a nightclub. Looks quality though and would be great for potential beam backs of away games
He says despite the big screen, it's terrible for watching any football on, there's no tables and the scrum at the bar just pushes everyone back so you're constantly jostling and getting pushed and barged.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

You have never been there in your life. You wouldnt have a clue.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Suncorp is a fantastic stadium, has underground transport , dedicated bus lanes in and out, generates a great atmoshpere and has world class catering facilities..... been there loads of times and I wish Molineux was built the same way

No point trying to convince him. He is obsessed with gigantism and hypermonderism and how it impacts rebuilding a football stadium :D

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Suncorp is excellent enhanced by the roomy seats and easy access to the bars and food outlets.The Ricoh is miles apart in terms of quality .

They worked well with Brisbane City council to ensure it was well integrated with public transport and the city in general. It would be fantastic if that kind of thing could be done at Wolves.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You have never been there in your life. You wouldnt have a clue.

I have been to the Ricoh. Looked very similar, although more understated in terms of
colour and tone. More tasteful if anything. I also noticed that the ends of the stadium
were a long way from the pitch.

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They worked well with Brisbane City council to ensure it was well integrated with public transport and the city in general. It would be fantastic if that kind of thing could be done at Wolves.
They did, and the price of your ticket includes any combination of public transport to get there and back too ( from suburbia) ....city cat (water ferry), train and bus

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have been to the Ricoh. Looked very similar, although more understated in terms of
colour and tone. More tasteful if anything. I also noticed that the ends of the stadium
were a long way from the pitch.

You havent been to Suncorp and you are extremely uninformed. Simple as that. Do a bit more research instead of just looking at pictures, maybe listen to people who have actually been their and experienced it. Its got hands down the best atmosphere in that stadium that i've ever experienced at any sporting event, and its layout means its still doesnt look empty and still creates a very good atmosphere even when its 20k down on its capacity.

As for it being far away from the pitch, its predominantly a Rubgy league venue. Why would the goalposts be close to the seats? Again, you are uninformed. If it was built as a football stadium, it would have been designed to have the goalposts closer to the stands.

As for it looking like the Ricoh, if i were you i'd get an eye test.

G

German Wolf

Right enough of this crap of moving to Asda or rotating the pitch or digging down
Before the Manchester city game two people high up in wolves went to see Alan cotterall partnership architects ( north bank) the Steve bull will be knocked at the end of the season If we are promoted
I can not say who I know and why someone in Melbourne should know
Wactch this space

Thx for that Melbourne.

Following on from this, one thing I would ask is about the potential dates revolving around 'if we are promoted' and 'when we might get started'. If all goes well, then I would guess that this would be announced during the last three games (9 points plus goals lead over third required). It would seem sensible to push the button immediately upon promotion but, at the same time, the logistics, machinery and staffing need to be contractually agreed well in advance if there is to be a quick start, say after the last Home match v Sheff Wed on 28th April.
IIRC I think Uncle Festa is the engineering project expert amongst others on here, so, UF, how long would be needed to get things organised before the SB Wrecking Ball could turn up? Ie, do we have to agree the project six months in advance - which would be about 6 months after the Manchester meeting? Or, is a shorter timeline possible?

KTF UTW

PS Just to add to this, there's also the need for plans to be explained at the Early Bird sign up time - March? - to those wanting to buy next season's season tickets!

Last edited by a moderator:

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thx for that Melbourne.

Following on from this, one thing I would ask is about the potential dates revolving around 'if we are promoted' and 'when we might get started'. If all goes well, then I would guess that this would be announced during the last three games (9 points plus goals lead over third required). It would seem sensible to push the button immediately upon promotion but, at the same time, the logistics, machinery and staffing need to be contractually agreed well in advance if there is to be a quick start, say after the last Home match v Sheff Wed on 28th April.
IIRC I think Uncle Festa is the engineering project expert amongst others on here, so, UF, how long would be needed to get things organised before the SB Wrecking Ball could turn up? Ie, do we have to agree the project six months in advance - which would be about 6 months after the Manchester meeting? Or, is a shorter timeline possible?

KTF UTW

April 28 is a relatively early last day for a home game. I wonder if the club requested to finish the season with an away
game with this in mind. That would be impressive and confident thinking.

It would also give a potential 16 months until the first game of the 2018/19 season's first home game. An awful lot of construction can take place in that time.

Last edited:

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You havent been to Suncorp and you are extremely uninformed. Simple as that. Do a bit more research instead of just looking at pictures, maybe listen to people who have actually been their and experienced it. Its got hands down the best atmosphere in that stadium that i've ever experienced at any sporting event, and its layout means its still doesnt look empty and still creates a very good atmosphere even when its 20k down on its capacity.

As for it being far away from the pitch, its predominantly a Rubgy league venue. Why would the goalposts be close to the seats? Again, you are uninformed. If it was built as a football stadium, it would have been designed to have the goalposts closer to the stands.

As for it looking like the Ricoh, if i were you i'd get an eye test.

Sorry but it looks like a generic bowl design to me, and not steep enough to generate the
best atmosphere. And with garish colours.

Apparently it also suffers from consistent and significant pitch problems, a side effect
of overuse, (and other possible design faults). https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/blog/2016/12/24/suncorps-surface-sign-bigger-problem and https://twitter.com/11gawa/status/812232957456826369/photo/1

I am all for the transport connections, although Molineux obviously benefits from existing
transport connections. I would imagine Fosun are looking to upgrade these as part of expansion.

D

Deleted member 3518

Presumably if the earlybird is to continue any decision would need to be made, provisionally at least so the offer of any seats that may be affected by the re-build are conditional, before they're put on sale.

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Garish colours, that would be the maroon and yellow state colours then ? I wouldn;t be saying that in front of very proud Queenslanders ! Gabba is decked out in a similar fashion .......Suncorp ....it is nowhere near a "generic bowl" , and as for overuse, the Queensland Reds ( Rugby Union) ...the Brisbane Broncos ( rugby league) and the Brisbane Roar (football) all use it, so it's bound to attract a bit of wear and tear, nothing new for multi sport stadia. Steep.... I've sat at the back for an Origin game.... trust me...its ****ing steep !!

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Garish colours, that would be the maroon and yellow state colours then ? I wouldn;t be saying that in front of very proud Queenslanders ! Gabba is decked out in a similar fashion .......Suncorp ....it is nowhere near a "generic bowl" , and as for overuse, the Queensland Reds ( Rugby Union) ...the Brisbane Broncos ( rugby league) and the Brisbane Roar (football) all use it, so it's bound to attract a bit of wear and tear, nothing new for multi sport stadia. Steep.... I've sat at the back for an Origin game.... trust me...its ****ing steep !!

Apparently other multi-use stadia are not so badly affected, but havent been able to find a good explanation for that. The Aussie coach
pointed out in an interview that it was a longstanding problem.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Apparently other multi-use stadia are not so badly affected, but havent been able to find a good explanation for that. The Aussie coach
Many stadia have had recurring problems with pitches be they multi use or not.Old Trafford went through a bad spell a few years ago,Hampden has been replaced at least twice in the season in years gone by,the Millenium has had ongoing problems too as has Eden Park.
The important issues are the infrastructure,facilities and transportation accessibility and provision and Suncorp is a fantastic venue .Mugwump and possibly Rosehill will know what I mean but it's a good job you have never been to Ballymore as quaint as it may be.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I go there on a regular basis, i see no signs of these significant pitch issues. Not saying it hasnt had them, but try finding a bit more than one isolated quote. The only times its been a real issue was when the whole city went under water in the floods in 2011, when we get other severe wet weather events ( which you would have found out if you did your research ), and when they have had too many events in a short period of time. Its not a flaw in the stadium design ( if you have any other examples of its design flaws, please give them ), its a flaw of the stadium management cash grabbing.

If a similar design was used on the Molineux site, it wouldnt have many issues. It wouldnt have the use Suncorp gets now, and it would be decked out with Wolves coloured seats instead of QLD colours, so your rather petty argument about colours would carry even less weight.

If it wasnt me that suggested Suncorp, you wouldnt be coming up with these very weak arguments about that stadium. You are clueless about it, and to say it isnt steep and cant generate a good atmosphere just shows exactly how clueless you actually are.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Many stadia have had recurring problems with pitches be they multi use or not.Old Trafford went through a bad spell a few years ago,Hampden has been replaced at least twice in the season in years gone by,the Millenium has had ongoing problems too as has Eden Park.
The important issues are the infrastructure,facilities and transportation accessibility and provision and Suncorp is a fantastic venue .Mugwump and possibly Rosehill will know what I mean but it's a good job you have never been to Ballymore as quaint as it may be.

Ballymore certainly needs some investment and iirc somebody was interested in doing something there earlier in the year, dont know what came of it.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Ballymore certainly needs some investment and iirc somebody was interested in doing something there earlier in the year, dont know what came of it.
Went there twice sat on our bums on the grass Bank in a tight crowd.It was hard work.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I go there on a regular basis, i see no signs of these significant pitch issues. Not saying it hasnt had them, but try finding a bit more than one isolated quote. The only times its been a real issue was when the whole city went under water in the floods in 2011, when we get other severe wet weather events ( which you would have found out if you did your research ), and when they have had too many events in a short period of time. Its not a flaw in the stadium design ( if you have any other examples of its design flaws, please give them ), its a flaw of the stadium management cash grabbing.

If a similar design was used on the Molineux site, it wouldnt have many issues. It wouldnt have the use Suncorp gets now, and it would be decked out with Wolves coloured seats instead of QLD colours, so your rather petty argument about colours would carry even less weight.

If it wasnt me that suggested Suncorp, you wouldnt be coming up with these very weak arguments about that stadium. You are clueless about it, and to say it isnt steep and cant generate a good atmosphere just shows exactly how clueless you actually are.

Clueless?? AGain with the insults.

And I am not the one arguing to knock down a very good stadium. :rolleyes: Which would also mean in practice
other disasters like moving the ground or ground-sharing, both potentially very damaging to the club's interests.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Bowl designs can involve issues of pitch maintenance, with regard to sunlight, air circulation and drainage, fyi. These can work in tandem with overuse of a facility.

D

Deleted member 4453

He says despite the big screen, it's terrible for watching any football on, there's no tables and the scrum at the bar just pushes everyone back so you're constantly jostling and getting pushed and barged.

I think the idea looks quality, still thought there could be possible faults.
That screen looks like our old corner screen set up.
Think if we had something like this it would need to be bigger or perhaps somewhere detached from the stadium and a stones throw away. Then again exclusivity to ST holders may help decrease those problems you mentioned.

What is the WV1 bar like on matchdays? only been in once and although it was packed I was still able to get drinks and able to stand.

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Those floods in 2011 !! horrendous, I lived in Hamilton at the time, right by the river, scary stuff as when they opened up the dam you could physically sit and watch the river rising
Our basement car park was about 4 foot deep in water, when it receded we found a bull nosed shark in there ....eek!

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Clueless?? AGain with the insults.

And I am not the one arguing to knock down a very good stadium. :rolleyes: Which would also mean in practice
other disasters like moving the ground or ground-sharing, both potentially very damaging to the club's interests.

No, you are cluless with your comments about Suncorp. Its not an insult, its fairly accurate.

Also, I'm not arguing to knock down the stadium, i just feel it would be the best option imo. Ground sharing is an inconvenience certainly, its not preferable, but its not the end of the world either. Molineux also imo isnt a very good stadium. Its got a stand built in 1979, another new stand thats totally out of place with the other 3, and the whole thing looks disjointed. Facilities are pretty ordinary as well. If knocking it down and rebuilding a comfortable, well thought out and well built stadium was best for us in the long run, then having to tolerate some inconvenience is something with should be prepared to live with. If we rebuild it stand by stand, thats going to cause inconvenience as well, and probably over a longer period of time. Like it or not, there will be disruption, but it wont be potentially very damaging at all. It will be as i said, inconvenient, and probably frustrating. As the old saying goes, to make an omelette, you need to break some eggs. We arent going to sort out the ground without some disruption.

Molineux currently isnt anywhere near good enough for the ambition Fosun have. Better get used to that.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Those floods in 2011 !! horrendous, I lived in Hamilton at the time, right by the river, scary stuff as when they opened up the dam you could physically sit and watch the river rising
Our basement car park was about 4 foot deep in water, when it receded we found a bull nosed shark in there ....eek!

When we were helping with the clean up we found a dead one in somebodies shed :D

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bowl designs can involve issues of pitch maintenance, with regard to sunlight, air circulation and drainage, fyi. These can work in tandem with overuse of a facility.

Suncorp doesnt have an ongoing issue of pitch maintainence.

I'll leave you to it now. I'm going to find some hypermodern stadium designs with leanings towards brash gigantism.

Last edited:

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When we were helping with the clean up we found a dead one in somebodies shed :D
I helped with the clean up too, whats the betting we were in same area ....I helped out in Milton, Auchenflower ( where my doctors was) and Roselea ? ( that last one I may have wrong) .....what a ****ing mess , heart breaking

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I helped with the clean up too, whats the betting we were in same area ....I helped out in Milton, Auchenflower ( where my doctors was) and Roselea ? ( that last one I may have wrong) .....what a ****ing mess , heart breaking

Yep, Milton and Auchenflower was where we went. It was terrible. I can still remember the smell of that mud.

Back
Top Bottom