Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Your last exciting transfer

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember as a kid being absolutely stunned we’d spent 500k on a player. An absolute fortune at the time. I assumed Kevin Ashley would be ****ing brilliant.
He was going to be the next England full back said Terry Cooper when we signed him.… maybe not. Just remember his goal at Southend. In fact, think that was all he ever did? But agree i was wetting meself that we had spent that much money on a full back.

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think the next summer (when they massively backed taylor) was peak excitement.

Froggatt
Daley
Goodman
Richards

I think we spent in excess of 6m when the British transfer record was only 3.75...
That'd be like spending 200m today, whilst in the championship lol

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some people must have very high expectations if they are going back so far in our past for the last exciting player we signed!

Japan Wulf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Some people like to come across as superior because they’re at a certain age where they can remember these type of players when in fact the answer to the question from the OP has to be signings made over the last few years.
'Some people like to come across as superior...?' It's inflammatory to begin with, but... I digress.
I think it's more of a question of perspective. I'm 65. The Fosun era began more than fifty years after I began watching football. I've no idea how old you happen to be and wouldn't presume to guess. For my part, I've been around long enough to say - with no small cynicism to be sure - that to a great extent, I've seen it all before, and yes, I've probably heard it all before. I tend not to get as excited as I used to - about many things, though that's not to say that I fail to appreciate the very best qualities of all manner of things. I don't regard this as a failing. Quite the opposite, in fact. The bottom line is that the answer to the OP doesn't have to be from the last five years. ten years, or any other number of years. It's a subjective, personal choice.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The ‘double’ - Goodman & John De Wolf. Geoff Thomas, Tony Daley. Off course since them Adama, if I’m honest I am not knowledgable about the players we have brought recently from Portugal et al. They have obviously generally been a massive success, I bow to others superior knowledge on the players we are currently interested in.
Same here on all those, Traore included (and I wasn't disappointed!). Milijas as well to be honest. Most recent though... hmm id I'm being completely honest it was probably Dendonker. Just seemed a lot to pay at the time for an unglamourous player so I expected something special. (Honestly I'd do much better at 'player you knew would be class after 30 mins).

WestChiltingtonwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some good above. If I’m honest the early fosun days were a bit off a blur wunderkinds most of who i had never heard of. Afterwards, with our Portuguese links, I think we signed some amazing players but the excitement was slightly less than when I was a young boy.

Akinbiyi was a genuinely exciting signing I think, considering he was a player from our division that I knew was going to tear it up for us.

T

TheConcourse

Has to be Moutinho.

Most intrigued by Neves. Didn’t know anything about him but the hype was massive.

Most surprised by… Dean Sturridge!

citrus_wolf

Reaction score
I agree with the answers above so to give another angle, not one player but a few coming in at once – 2016.

I remember reading about all these 'exotic' names from across Europe, thinking 'What's going on here!'

A quick look at Wikipedia (because my memory is rubbish) shows we bought in

1655789361369.png

And we also loaned in Teixieira.

I didn't know any of them, or their reputations or styles, and I know it ended up being a mixed bag.

But living on the other side of the world and reading the news, it felt like a revolution!

Notsoslimshady

Groupie
Reaction score
Not sire if it counts, but when we confirmed we were signing Raul on a permanent after his loan.

Other than that i would say Mouts. It was astounded when we signed him

Kennedy

Reaction score
Trincao was pretty good at the time.

Fabio was amazing. I remember exactly where I was when that popped onto my phone. It felt like we were signing a world class player in that moment.

The greatest ever was seeing the back pages (pre internet) when John de Wolf signed. Geoff Thomas was pretty amazing too.

Was thinking about doing a thread re this subject, the most exciting transfer you remember so it was good to read this.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As everyone is doing most excited. It has to be Neves in the Championship. Nothing else has even got close, but i'm fine with that.

modenawolf

Reaction score
Was really excited about Trincao last season, was convinced he was going to take the PL by storm.

But Moutinho was the one for me. Signing him was a 'wow' moment. Still gives me goosebumps thinking about it.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was excited by Trincao. I think there's a huge player in there somewhere, but given who we are he probably hasn't done enough for us to spend £25m or whatever it was we'd need to, to take that chance on him.

I was very excited by Fabio despite never having heard from him, simply because of his pricetag. I really like him and I'm praying for him to come good but what a bizarre piece of transfer business all things considered.

Moutinho and Patricio were huge. Already very established players who'd performed at the highest level. I'll admit I wasn't that excited by Raul when we got him, given his previous record, but what a player he was for us right from the off.

Last edited:

ToastedWanderer

Groupie
Reaction score
Still remember signing Mosquera and me and the lad watching his style thought he's going to be a monster with some scares on the way. Was excited to see how he would progress and then boom, Lage played him twice in 24hours and was out injured for 6 months before the season started lol..

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I agree with the answers above so to give another angle, not one player but a few coming in at once – 2016.

I remember reading about all these 'exotic' names from across Europe, thinking 'What's going on here!'

View attachment 28471

I didn't know any of them, or their reputations or styles, and I know it ended up being a mixed bag.

But living on the other side of the world and reading the news, it felt like a revolution!
Forgot about Duckens.

Writer Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Paul Ince and Denis Irwin. These were well-known players I'd actually seen playing and so was quite exciting to think they were joining Wolves. Loved seeing them in Wolves colours.

Most of the Fosun-era signings were unknowns to me at the time. Turned out marvellously though.

justanotherwolf

Reaction score
Most recently was quite excited by Trincao. Not worked out as planned but there is a player in there.

Last jump-for-joy? Moutinho. And he's surpassed all initial expectations - 4 years and counting of class.

Wanderer Til I Die

Reaction score
I know a lot of people share your opinion that Fabio will go on to be brilliant, but I just don't see it. He's done absolutely nothing to reconsider my position on him.

He's going to need to have a PHENOMENAL season because at the end of it he'll have 2 years left on his contract and a decision needs to be made. FOSUN won't want to suffer the indignity of their golden boy failing and leaving at a loss.

Exciting signings, Adama for me.
I think if everyone just acknowledged that Adamas best position is off the bench and annihilating tired defences, his stats and his stock would have been much higher and he'd be happier.

I think he owes us a year extension, still with a view to selling him this window but with less urgency.
Hard for Fabio to have a phenomenal season when he can't even get a game.

Lage always insists on playing Hwang for some reason...

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

View attachment 28471

Despite the flops we got years of service from Romain and the fees from Cav, Costa and Bod mean that we likely made an overall profit.

freezin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hard for Fabio to have a phenomenal season when he can't even get a game.

Lage always insists on playing Hwang for some reason...

I won't pussyfoot around my response.
They're both nowhere near the required standard.

All things considered 2 of the worst signings in recent history.
Over £50m wasted on them.

I'd say they were ****e but they're not. They're just not good enough.

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fabio Silva

Still excited as well
Yes would be mine too. I posted his picture on Facebook, so proud we had signed a 35m player. Didn't know anything about him, his video was unconvincing but Logic told me he must be really special to bust the budget like that. Maybe he is and hopefully we will see it sooner rather than later.

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In the pre Fosun era I was extremely excited by the signing of Temuri Ketsbaia, he’d done ok at Newcastle had a bit of grit and could belt a ball. Thought he’d be perfect in our midfield. Think he started well for us too.

John Richards 1974

Reaction score
Willie Carr at the 2nd attempt......................will always remember the headline: second hand Carr :tearsofjoy:

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I won't pussyfoot around my response.
They're both nowhere near the required standard.

All things considered 2 of the worst signings in recent history.
Over £50m wasted on them.

I'd say they were ****e but they're not. They're just not good enough.
You are entitled to your view. Others are entitled to think that it is utter BS.

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still remember signing Mosquera and me and

Still remember signing Mosquera and me and the lad watching his style thought he's going to be a monster with some scares on the way. Was excited to see how he would progress and then boom, Lage played him twice in 24hours and was out injured for 6 months before the season started lol..
Without going over old ground, if a fit young player can't manage 2 part games in 24 hours, then I am worried.
Don't hang Lage on this.

Back
Top Bottom