Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Your last exciting transfer

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The ‘double’ - Goodman & John De Wolf. Geoff Thomas, Tony Daley. Off course since them Adama, if I’m honest I am not knowledgable about the players we have brought recently from Portugal et al. They have obviously generally been a massive success, I bow to others superior knowledge on the players we are currently interested in.
Yeah that 93-95 era, getting those players in. I wet myself about Daley, remember him tearing up the league Cup final against man u, and was amazed we'd got him. Geoff Thomas, de wolf, Kelly, froggatt. The stadium was taking shape. Really felt like it was the beginning of something. The first 2 summer transfer windows under nuno were something special too. Now we just worry about keeping our star players.

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fabio Silva. £35m. Sheer delight. Had never heard of him. It was just one day, bam, signing a wonderkid from nowhere, genuine Premier League money on the table, the kind of "have-some-of-that" signing a Man City or Arsenal or Chelsea seemed to make, at a time when we were riding high.

Whatever one feels about the club and current direction, it must be said that nothing's really felt the same since. Hopefully there'll be something to get excited about this summer, though.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In truth I tend not to really know enough about our foreign signings to get overly excited.

Paul Ince felt like a proper exciting signing.
Yes agreed Ince was a player like Denis Irwin and Emlyn Hughes who we would never have been anywhere near a few years earlier in their careers.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think I was excited by Semedo. Definitely chuffed about getting Moutinho in and for 5 million.
But generally I don't think good transfer business is always exciting. It's about how people perform that excites me. I was a lot more excited about Neves and Jota after having seen them play. I wasn't sold on our relationship with gestifute at the time.

k-dog

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Was genuinely excited when we got Roger Johnson, had done well at Blues with Dann, apparently, I’d barely watched him mind but got caught up in the hype. I’m sure we signed someone else at the same time? Doyle, Ohara or Fletcher? I can’t really remember, but I was buzzing about the double signing. Turned to **** really quick mind, so I never get excited about signings anymore, cos I haven’t got a clue.

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Andy Gray. I think we won away at arsenal the week after. I thought it was going to be a bit boring watching wolves because we were going to won everything. Wasn't like that, but some great times though!

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neves.

Weirdly I wasn’t as excited for Moutinho because I thought he would struggle with the physicality of the league.

I remember being excited at signing Dean Sturridge and also Michael Branch.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Moutinho. That’s when i knew we were serious. Up until that point I was just bracing for ‘Bergkamp isn’t in Asda’ style heartbreak.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Emelyn Hughes, Geoff Thomas, Paul Ince.

Perhaps I am a bit of a traditionalist as they will all household names in the UK, but nothing has "hit me" like those three above. Probably Geoff Thomas caused the biggest excited kid in me. I was convinced the day we signed him we would be soon challenging Manchester Utd, that was the impact his signing had on me that day.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah that 93-95 era, getting those players in. I wet myself about Daley, remember him tearing up the league Cup final against man u, and was amazed we'd got him. Geoff Thomas, de wolf, Kelly, froggatt. The stadium was taking shape. Really felt like it was the beginning of something. The first 2 summer transfer windows under nuno were something special too. Now we just worry about keeping our star players.

A warning that you have to reel in at exactly the moment when you have a bite! Though we were very unlucky with injuries. Also, recall those big names(for the Championship at that time) often not really showing up when the going got tough, against our typical nemesis like Grimsby and Oxford.

Also, in hindsight, plenty of clubs who did step up in the early days of the Premier League, couldn't maintain it anyway. Sheff Wed, Ipswich, Forest, Boro, Bolton (yay!) .

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There have been plenty of exciting transfers but the question asked is ‘Your last exciting transfer’.

It has to be Moutinho for me. I remember the Mix was bombarded by posters who couldn’t believe it and I was one of them. Well established, respected and accomplished international player from a top 10 international country signing for Wolverhampton Wanderers. Unbelievable.

Just remember Mixers, Joao’s signing came out of the blue. That could be happening behind the scenes in this transfer window, when we me might get another stellar signing to get us excited again!

Japan Wulf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Andy Gray. Well, perhaps not - I should probably say Adama.
But for all the wonderful players we've signed in the last few years, watching Andy Gray sign the contract on the pitch was probably the most exciting signing of them all. Really felt we were at the beginning of an exciting journey. We were... kind of...

Edit: I think I get excited by just about every first-team signing that comes along. Why not? It's a great feeling while it lasts. I remember my glee to see the thread title 'We've signed Trincao!' Seems like just yesterday.

Last edited:

Irish_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The thread said last exciting signing. I was excited about Sa and still think he's a great signing

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Ait Nouri hasn't been mentioned but he was very exciting for reasons many of the above have mentioned, football manager mostly.

I'm still excited about him now in fact and think he has the highest ceiling of our current crop, his game at home versus Salah was phenomenal and if he had only stayed on I reckon we would of got the draw.

He will be the next big sale I think, City or Chelsea linked and can see him going to either and fitting in.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Definitely! Have we got used to it, or does he not do it any more? Because that one moment still stands out.
Probably because people make sure they press Neves and aggressively mark the wing backs on the rare occasions they’re high.

If the opposition create the environment for it though, he’ll still happily do it all day, like the 2-0 ‘hammering’ of Palace was it October 21?

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Saw ‘Wolves sign Thomas’ on CEEFAX and thought it was Michael Thomas (who was also a good player) and when l read the article and it was Geoff Thomas l knew we would win the league that season.

We didn’t.

Froggat and Daley were also massive.

Didn’t win the league then either, but just for those summers . . . What a time to be a Wolves fan.

We had so many good players then. I never understood how we underachieved so much.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Geoff Thomas. Agree with those above that the early 90s era with Thomas, Keen, Froggat, Daley etc was amazing and with the new Molineux taking shape too it was truly an amazing time. So disappointing nothing came of it all.

Must admit, I had never heard of Neves when we signed him. I gathered he was well respected by the reaction of everyone. I know of him now!

R

reanswolf

I was thrilled when we signed Dave Thomas the winger, shame it didn’t work out for him.

Palhinha is the signing I was most excited about, think we’ve signed him around 5 times now. It’s only based on that Braga game at Molineux, but it was possibly the best all action midfielder performance I’ve seen in many years.

I didn’t know much about Neves, Moutinho, or Jota because I don’t follow football abroad, but I fell in love with Nuno’s Wolves utterly and totally.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some people like to come across as superior because they’re at a certain age where they can remember these type of players when in fact the answer to the question from the OP has to be signings made over the last few years.
Unless, you haven't been excited for 60 years of course... Possible I suppose?

optimuswolf

Reaction score
Nothing will ever top the summer we signed Geoff Thomas. Honestly thought we were going to go on and win the league. Not the 2nd division, I mean the premier league!

Such an exciting summer that was.
I think the next summer (when they massively backed taylor) was peak excitement.

Froggatt
Daley
Goodman
Richards

I think we spent in excess of 6m when the British transfer record was only 3.75...

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember as a kid being absolutely stunned we’d spent 500k on a player. An absolute fortune at the time. I assumed Kevin Ashley would be ****ing brilliant.

Houston Lobo

Reaction score
Nothing will ever top the summer we signed Geoff Thomas. Honestly thought we were going to go on and win the league. Not the 2nd division, I mean the premier league!

Such an exciting summer that was.
This one.

Vividly remember the 3 word billboard in old gold and black on the paper stand making me buy the E&S town final even though my folks had the Dudley edition delivered!

Houston Lobo

Reaction score
Great thread this.

For me, and somewhat under the radar, was Alex Rae.

It was a sign we were “doing bits” that season. I was a little worried that he may have been past it, but I’d always rated him and wished we’d signed him earlier. It was like he was the solution to our long term centre mid problems. He gave me that goal and Reading, and his PL form (once we switched formation) had him as one of the first names on the team sheet.

Echo the shouts for Dean Richards - as this was somewhat of a coup at the time - and Adama, for the ‘bum-off-seat’ potential.

Back
Top Bottom