Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

You deserved a better end...

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Not my comment but Saiss' and was shared by Coady.

I've created this thread to discuss Lage's man management.

I mentioned before I thought Saiss leaving was strange.

I think he likely didn't get on with Lage or perhaps another member of the management team.

Hoever too clearly.

This isn't a go at Lage though, he should be backed to make his decisions.

Fergie was notoriously ruthless and Lage (who has referenced reading Fergies book before) is displaying the same traits.

Hope it pays off.

woop woop barmy army

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its a big call and yes change was needed, but has moved out 3 massive characters at the club.

Also feel the way they've pushed them out hasn't been nice.

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have a feeling that Lage and Coady didn't really believe in each other. Coady's body language at the end of last season was completely unlike him - the leadership had gone, the organisation had gone, the belief had gone. And Lage clearly doesn't see him as first choice in his preferred formation. Makes a parting inevitable. I've been amongst those who want to see Lage given a chance with a refreshed squad, to see what he's really capable of.

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think it goes back to the ask wolves, in particular sellars interview where he acknowledged it had gone a bit stale and there would be some changing of the guard taking place to freshen things up.

We dont get to know the dynamics of the dressing room, who is in favour, whos not and so on but if there are overly vocal people in team who are restricting the club progressing then its the right thing for them to move on. I can imagine its like any workplace, with a huddle of older employees who preferred it years ago before the new boss came in with their new fancy ideas. That little huddle can become a distraction and at its worst cause a divide in the workplace.
Fundamentally what we had was great and it worked well for a few years. It wasnt working well the last 2 years, this has been identified and they are trying to make the necessary changes it seems.
The one i remain surprised about was retaining moutinho and perhaps retrospectively was kept on because of a changing of the rest of the old guard and they still wanted to keep a respected person in the squad and to continue to support the large number of portuguese players.

Lisas Husband

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have a feeling that Lage and Coady didn't really believe in each other. Coady's body language at the end of last season was completely unlike him - the leadership had gone, the organisation had gone, the belief had gone. And Lage clearly doesn't see him as first choice in his preferred formation. Makes a parting inevitable. I've been amongst those who want to see Lage given a chance with a refreshed squad, to see what he's really capable of.
I saw this too in parts with Coady, since this pre-season I've put it down to Lage maybe telling players that next season we would be looking at a back 4, and I presume that Coady didn't feel too confident about the following season.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I also think that when a new guy replaces a manager who became part of the DNA of the club (Nuno), he'll have a tough time getting the old guard to commit to his ideas with quite the same enthusiasm. A managerial replacement inherently necessitates something of a sea change with the players.

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
There was lots of talk about certain players refusing back 4, felt obvious that Coady and probably Saiss were two of these.

No surprise as such that they aren't too happy.

But to make a good omelette you have to crack a few eggs as they say.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m not really sure how else it could end?
Unless we had kept playing the same system to suit coady till he was ready to retire.

Players with big characters who have been mainstays of a team never like being told by a manager their no longer needed. Roy Keane still seems to hate Sir Alex because he was dispensed with- and I think he then only went on to last a season at Celtic.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've got to admit I'm starting to get a bit annoyed by these comments from players when they go.

You didn't mention him but Ruddy was also having sly little digs at the club. He knew full well that he was never going to play once Patricio joined and when Patricio was sold he knew we'd buy a replacement - as we all did.
So whilst he had one good season, he was happy to take what I presume was millions of pounds over the next few years and then has cheap shots when he leaves.
Even if it wasn't handled superbly, you got a lot out of us.

The more I think about Coady's comments the more I'm starting to lose respect for him (not that he'll care lol). Wolves, well Nuno, transformed his career entirely. He was quoted saying 'I owe this club my life' and it's true. If ever a player was indebted to a person for making them millions, transforming their lives and allowing them to fulfil their dreams, it's Coady to Nuno.
Of course, you can't take away anything from Coady on this front, he had to perform well and he was pivotal to that excellent three years we had. However, again, he should have handled his departure with more class in my opinion, particularly when Wolves have gone above and beyond in letting this happen. They're rightly taking huge flak from supporters for a loan and he's not mentioned us once and referenced about six times how 'desperate' he was to go.
I'm starting to feel he's maybe a bit fake with how he comes across with his public image.

Hoever was a joke as well to be honest. Childishly taking things out of his Instagram because of a bit of criticism - that was justified. He was coming in on in games and you could see he wasn't ready. So you get called out on it - rightly so.

I also think it's the same with MGW. Again, may be reading too much into it but no Wolves post on social media for a guy who used to post after most games. No Wolves in the bio. All silly games that we don't need to get involved with.

I really think there did need to be a mentality shift from the club and this is the way to go. It's starting to look as though a few are/were taking Wolves for granted and felt they were more important than they are.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The body language was quite evident in Portugal and was compounded by the fact that he was picked for the second string on the Sunday.
Fair play to the guy as he was the only player, coach or other that I saw come over to the travelling support, and not only hand over his shirt but pose for numerous selfies as well. His face seemed to communicate that his time with Wolverhampton Wanderers was all but up.
A sad end (imv) to a player whose been a great ambassadore for the club both on and off the field and can only hope that his dream of representing England in the World Cup comes true.

Thanks for the memories Conor and I wish you well.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've got to admit I'm starting to get a bit annoyed by these comments from players when they go.

You didn't mention him but Ruddy was also having sly little digs at the club. He knew full well that he was never going to play once Patricio joined and when Patricio was sold he knew we'd buy a replacement - as we all did.
So whilst he had one good season, he was happy to take what I presume was millions of pounds over the next few years and then has cheap shots when he leaves.
Even if it wasn't handled superbly, you got a lot out of us.

The more I think about Coady's comments the more I'm starting to lose respect for him (not that he'll care lol). Wolves, well Nuno, transformed his career entirely. He was quoted saying 'I owe this club my life' and it's true. If ever a player was indebted to a person for making them millions, transforming their lives and allowing them to fulfil their dreams, it's Coady to Nuno.
Of course, you can't take away anything from Coady on this front, he had to perform well and he was pivotal to that excellent three years we had. However, again, he should have handled his departure with more class in my opinion, particularly when Wolves have gone above and beyond in letting this happen. They're rightly taking huge flak from supporters for a loan and he's not mentioned us once and referenced about six times how 'desperate' he was to go.
I'm starting to feel he's maybe a bit fake with how he comes across with his public image.

Hoever was a joke as well to be honest. Childishly taking things out of his Instagram because of a bit of criticism - that was justified. He was coming in on in games and you could see he wasn't ready. So you get called out on it - rightly so.

I also think it's the same with MGW. Again, may be reading too much into it but no Wolves post on social media for a guy who used to post after most games. No Wolves in the bio. All silly games that we don't need to get involved with.

I really think there did need to be a mentality shift from the club and this is the way to go. It's starting to look as though a few are/were taking Wolves for granted and felt they were more important than they are.
What exactly were "Coady's comments"?

Aimless Balls

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It seems like a quick, clean end to me - far better this than to have him sat on our bench until January.
Absolutely. And I’m pretty sure this happened smoothly because last week I asked the boys at the E&S pod if Wolves and Coady should discuss a move in this window so that he could have a chance to play for England at the WC. The boys said no, because nobody was talking about it at that point, but I’m sure Wolves and Coady heard it and moved quickly. What else do they have to do. But I didn’t say anything about a stupid loan deal, so I only want credit for the good part!

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is, of course, the very simple explanation that Saiss just meant Coady deserved to play his last game in front of a packed Molineux...
I think we all agree he should Have gotten that kind of send off.

I am happy Nuno got at least a few thousand for his last game, it wasn’t what he deserved for all he achieved but at least he got an emotional send off from the people lucky enough to go.

BrierleyHillWolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Not my comment but Saiss' and was shared by Coady.

I've created this thread to discuss Lage's man management.

I mentioned before I thought Saiss leaving was strange.

I think he likely didn't get on with Lage or perhaps another member of the management team.

Hoever too clearly.

This isn't a go at Lage though, he should be backed to make his decisions.

Fergie was notoriously ruthless and Lage (who has referenced reading Fergies book before) is displaying the same traits.

Hope it pays off.
why did you think saiss leaving was strange ?

he was a liability and should of been replaced 2 years ago

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dont think we should read too much into it.
Of course most including Coady had dreamed of a big farewell, rather than spending his last time for the club on the bench.
Doesnt mean that he's been mistreated, fallen out with Lage or leaves a bitter man.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It seems like a quick, clean end to me - far better this than to have him sat on our bench until January.
Until Everton don't take up the option at the end of the season? (note, I don't know the ins and outs of the option clause).

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Until Everton don't take up the option at the end of the season? (note, I don't know the ins and outs of the option clause).

I'm sure Jeff/SS are well aware that's a possibility though - and given how low the option fee is (£12m), then presumably that's offset by the loan fee.

If it's say £5m now, + a potential £12m, then everyone wins.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A friend of one of the physio’s said that Bruno is a very spiky character and he doesn’t care who he upsets with his ‘direct’ approach to managing people.
It's also a very easy way of getting sacked. I like the "I'm in charge" attitude but when things aren't going well it never ends well for the man in charge.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And yes of course Lage should be backed.
If anything, I think he waited a year too long to put his stamp on the team, but I understand that a young manager finding his feet in the PL made some early compromises.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm sure Jeff/SS are well aware that's a possibility though - and given how low the option fee is (£12m), then presumably that's offset by the loan fee.

If it's say £5m now, + a potential £12m, then everyone wins.
I just hope we don't end up having to tout him around next summer looking for buyers for a fraction of the price. It's all relative though as we don't know how successful he will be this season.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just hope we don't end up having to tout him around next summer looking for buyers for a fraction of the price. It's all relative though as we don't know how successful he will be this season.

Yep - I'm sure someone would want him - if you plan on playing with a back 5, then he's good enough, and his character is a bonus. Perhaps if Brucey is managing a PL team...!? o_O

Reactions: Ned

NorthWolf

Reaction score
Yep - I'm sure someone would want him - if you plan on playing with a back 5, then he's good enough, and his character is a bonus. Perhaps if Brucey is managing a PL team...!? o_O
1660050706701.png

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In a form of logic, if Everton don't take up the option doesn't that prove Lage is correct?

Fergie let Ince and Beckham go (amongst many others)
Clough let Woodcock go
Paisley let Keegan go
Klopp's just let Mane go.

I'm sure Wolves will get by letting a couple of players go who can only play in one exact formation that has to be played in a low low low block (or else they prove to be a liability)

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A friend of one of the physio’s said that Bruno is a very spiky character and he doesn’t care who he upsets with his ‘direct’ approach to managing people.

So are most succesful managers. Nuno was, too. Though none of them have anything on Brian Clough!

Some of these players should show a bit more gratitude to the clubs and fans that made them into gazillionaires. They are sounding more than a bit out of touch with the real world. I think it's probably that most players feel a bit narked when they get dropped. Theres a known pattern of getting promotion often hurts clubs when a load of new players come in and replace those who got you promoted.

It requires careful management and if the likes of Coady, Saiss, Ruddy, whoever are feeling some resentment , best get rid of them ASAP, I reckon.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ideal!!! Or there’s Nuno in the Middle East. Join back up with him and Helder Costa.

Wignall 3-0

Groupie
Reaction score
Bruno Lage must be given the opportunity to play his own style of football, which is a back four with two centre backs and not three CBs. With CC leaving we have burned our bridges and from now on its a back four. With the ever present injury risk, we just have enough quality for two players for each CB position. So yes we will let more goals in, but very quickly we have to start to score a lot of goals. Going to see lots of 4-3, 3-2, 2-3 and 3-4s. But that is what us Wolves fans want isn`t it?

Back
Top Bottom