Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

You deserved a better end...

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In a form of logic, if Everton don't take up the option doesn't that prove Lage is correct?

Fergie let Ince and Beckham go (amongst many others)
Clough let Woodcock go
Paisley let Keegan go
Klopp's just let Mane go.

I'm sure Wolves will get by letting a couple of players go who can only play in one exact formation that has to be played in a low low low block (or else they prove to be a liability)
I agree.

If we would have got a flat fee or an obligation from Everton then it’s a deal that suits literally every party involved, no question. It’s the loan with an option which leaves me uneasy as it could, again, end up suiting all but one party in the end…

R

reanswolf

After years of complaining here, about us needing to go to 4 at the back, we've finally done it. And are we happy? You guessed it. Course not!
If we had got Someone like Palhinha in alongside Neves the back 4 might work. I don’t think it will do unless we do, especially as Jonny is looking vulnerable.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree.

If we would have got a flat fee or an obligation from Everton then it’s a deal that suits literally every party involved, no question. It’s the loan with an option which leaves me uneasy as it could, again, end up suiting all but one party in the end…
The poll on should Cody leave results were,

keep/sell = 97%
loan = 3%

That says it all

Reactions: Ned

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In a form of logic, if Everton don't take up the option doesn't that prove Lage is correct?

Fergie let Ince and Beckham go (amongst many others)
Clough let Woodcock go
Paisley let Keegan go
Klopp's just let Mane go.

I'm sure Wolves will get by letting a couple of players go who can only play in one exact formation that has to be played in a low low low block (or else they prove to be a liability)
Does Sebastian Haller's failure at West Ham show that Eintracht Frankfurt's decision to sell was correct? Or does his superb performance for Ajax and subsequent move to Dortmund prove West Ham were wrong to move him on?

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we had got Someone like Palhinha in alongside Neves the back 4 might work. I don’t think it will do unless we do, especially as Jonny is looking vulnerable.
But Collins can (I predict) play the central position in a back five.

He would step into midfield occasionally and win the ball high and drive with it or give it - whereas Coady couldn't do that. They tried it last season and Coady couldn't do it - he gave fouls away and even if he did arrive on time, he wasn't productive with the ball.

There are more ways to play a back 5 than having a player sitting on the edge of their own 18 yard box in the lowest block in the league, waiting to hit a diagonal ball to a wing back

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Love Coady, refuse to let it be sour. But looking back I think the writing was on the wall. Saiss played well until it was obvious a new contract wasn't coming, Coady is only any good in a 5. So both have gone and it shows our commitment to 433/4231. We can't carry players on those wages with np real intention of using them and with the best will in the world there's a high chance of it going badly if you have senior pros frozen out.

It's sad, but we need to move on.

R

reanswolf

But Collins can (I predict) play the central position in a back five.

He would step into midfield occasionally and win the ball high and drive with it or give it - whereas Coady couldn't do that. They tried it last season and Coady couldn't do it - he gave fouls away and even if he did arrive on time, he wasn't productive with the ball.

There are more ways to play a back 5 than having a player sitting on the edge of their own 18 yard box in the lowest block in the league, waiting to hit a diagonal ball to a wing back
Oh I agree thAt changing to a back 4 is sensible, but I still don’t think the midfield is mobile enough to afford defence protection and get forward.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not my comment but Saiss' and was shared by Coady.

I've created this thread to discuss Lage's man management.

I mentioned before I thought Saiss leaving was strange.

I think he likely didn't get on with Lage or perhaps another member of the management team.

Hoever too clearly.

This isn't a go at Lage though, he should be backed to make his decisions.

Fergie was notoriously ruthless and Lage (who has referenced reading Fergies book before) is displaying the same traits.

Hope it pays off.
Fergie was a product of his time. I am far from convinced that his approach would work today.

R

reanswolf

Has Coady said anything to Wolves fans?
Sounding very bitter and almost
disrespectful.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bruno Lage must be given the opportunity to play his own style of football, which is a back four with two centre backs and not three CBs. With CC leaving we have burned our bridges and from now on its a back four. With the ever present injury risk, we just have enough quality for two players for each CB position. So yes we will let more goals in, but very quickly we have to start to score a lot of goals. Going to see lots of 4-3, 3-2, 2-3 and 3-4s. But that is what us Wolves fans want isn`t it?
Do l want entertainment? Of course. At the expense of results? Nope.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
disrespectful.
He’s done an Instagram post gushing about us and how he will always be a Wolf.

Then he did one saying how proud and happy he is to be joining a club like Everton and playing for Frank Lampard.

I mean, there is nothing else he could have done in terms of his PR.

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some big calls made by Bruno, I hope it doesn't all go wrong and we end up needing to scrabble for points where a back 5 and/or big characters like Coady & Saiss would be vital.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There was lots of talk about certain players refusing back 4, felt obvious that Coady and probably Saiss were two of these.

No surprise as such that they aren't too happy.

But to make a good omelette you have to crack a few eggs as they say.
The talk was that Saiss wanted a two year contract and we only offered him one year.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
disrespectful.
I dont think Coads has said anything
His agent said that Wolves acted in his interest and that they deserve a lot of respect for letting him have his wish to move back to Liverpool area
He was told he was not first choice and with the World cup in 3 months he wanted first team games
The loan part is still beyond me,i dont see what that gives the club at all tbh
Anyways good luck Connor been a great servant over the years,but it was time to go i think

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bruno Lage must be given the opportunity to play his own style of football, which is a back four with two centre backs and not three CBs. With CC leaving we have burned our bridges and from now on its a back four. With the ever present injury risk, we just have enough quality for two players for each CB position. So yes we will let more goals in, but very quickly we have to start to score a lot of goals. Going to see lots of 4-3, 3-2, 2-3 and 3-4s. But that is what us Wolves fans want isn`t it?
So long as our goals exceed the opposition's on most occasions.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s a bold but relatively easy call that Bruno has had to make, if that makes sense. He knew that he needed to refresh the defence and go to a back 4 to help balance the team between defence and attack. He, along with every other wolves fan, knew exactly what this would mean for the club captain but also knew it had to be done. I’m not saying Coady is the sort but you don’t want the biggest voice in the changing room and training ground being an unhappy one really so it’s best off that he’s gone really if he had no future.

No matter how sad it is for people.

What I will say though is that there are very few fans (here and elsewhere) who are bemoaning losing what he offered us as an actual footballer other than communication at the back. That’s pretty telling.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's the 0 4s and 0 3s I'm most concerned about.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s a bold but relatively easy call that Bruno has had to make, if that makes sense. He knew that he needed to refresh the defence and go to a back 4 to help balance the team between defence and attack. He, along with every other wolves fan, knew exactly what this would mean for the club captain but also knew it had to be done. I’m not saying Coady is the sort but you don’t want the biggest voice in the changing room and training ground being an unhappy one really so it’s best off that he’s gone really if he had no future.

No matter how sad it is for people.

What I will say though is that there are very few fans (here and elsewhere) who are bemoaning losing what he offered us as an actual footballer other than communication at the back. That’s pretty telling.
It’s a change in the system.. but it’s also a bit of a change of the guard.

I guess it had to happen at some moment in time.. plenty of seasoned characters around still to maintain some consistency; Neves, Moutinho, etc..

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well Coadys agent seems to praise wolves the way it was handled on his account so can't be Al that bad.
Exactly let’s not turn this thread into something that may never have been ie Coady and Bruno or someone falling out
Rather assume it was amicable unless proved otherwise rather than speculate something

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly let’s not turn this thread into something that may never have been ie Coady and Bruno or someone falling out
Rather assume it was amicable unless proved otherwise rather than speculate something
Agree. The only thing there is to really moan about is the loan with option.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So we need a new midfielder to make the new formation work? We've needed a new midfielder for at least two years now. Almost as if the defence was never the root cause.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some Mixers might be reading too much into recent events.

Players grow older and then sometimes don’t fit into the coaches plans.
Perfectly normal. Nothing sinister here.

Saisse and Mouthino were offered a year extension. Saisse didn’t want it whereas Mouthino did. But both got the message……your time at Wolves is coming to a close.
Ruddy’s time was up and now Coady has departed.

I suspect that Bruno or Jeff told these players some time ago about their prospects with the club. That’s what you do.

I wonder if Bruno or Jeff has had a word with Traore too about his future.

Hugh Jarse

Reaction score
Christ, read the title and thought some bugger had died.

Marcal was a liability, and Saiss since his return from AFCON. CC has been a star but the manager wants us moving in a different direction. Maybe our characters held too much influence??.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The loan part is still beyond me,i dont see what that gives the club at all tbh
I guess none of us know the full contract details, other than it appears to be a loan with an obligation if certain conditions such as appearance are met.

It might be that either CC doesn't make the required number of appearances (unlikely IMV) or Everton get relegated (ditto IMV), so the sale goes ahead at the end of the season.

We also presumably get a loan fee plus they pay his wages (what; £3m???), the latter potentially subsidising a loan to us of (say) a CM.

If he doesn't end up there, then we lose value on his future transfer, although I guess we can argue the loan fee covers this 'depreciation' in his value.

Who knows? We certainly haven't "given him away for free" as some suggest - though a full transfer now would almost certainly be better for us and for CC.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't think the club could have really done anymore for him, they didn't take the captaincy off him like Villa with Mings, they just signed a player they feel is better for us, same as we have with many players and something football clubs try to do every window.

I'm sure the club would have been happy for Coady to stay and fight for his place back or, as they have done, been incredibly accommodating to help him with a move he wanted, as everything from him keeping the captaincy, how his moves been structured, to his agents comments have shown.

He's shown he wasn't prepared to stay and fight for his place, that's his prerogative, won't hold it against him with everything he's done for the club in the same way as Doherty (to a lesser degree).

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I guess none of us know the full contract details, other than it appears to be a loan with an obligation if certain conditions such as appearance are met.

It might be that either CC doesn't make the required number of appearances (unlikely IMV) or Everton get relegated (ditto IMV), so the sale goes ahead at the end of the season.

We also presumably get a loan fee plus they pay his wages (what; £3m???), the latter potentially subsidising a loan to us of (say) a CM.

If he doesn't end up there, then we lose value on his future transfer, although I guess we can argue the loan fee covers this 'depreciation' in his value.

Who knows? We certainly haven't "given him away for free" as some suggest - though a full transfer now would almost certainly be better for us and for CC.
Good post.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't think the club could have really done anymore for him, they didn't take the captaincy off him like Villa with Mings, they just signed a player they feel is better for us, same as we have with many players and something football clubs try to do every window.

I'm sure the club would have been happy for Coady to stay and fight for his place back or, as they have done, been incredibly accommodating to help him with a move he wanted, as everything from him keeping the captaincy, how his moves been structured, to his agents comments have shown.

He's shown he wasn't prepared to stay and fight for his place, that's his prerogative, won't hold it against him with everything he's done for the club in the same way as Doherty (to a lesser degree).
It might have been delicately put to him that trying to fight for his place might not be wise.

Then he’s offered a lifeline to perhaps stay playing in the PL for several more years. At 29, with young kids, I think he saw his options dwindling and although probably a very hard emotional decision to leave Wolves, took the Everton offer.

R

reanswolf

So we need a new midfielder to make the new formation work? We've needed a new midfielder for at least two years now. Almost as if the defence was never the root cause.
Well, you open a can of worms there.

When they did the large Express and Star poll two seasons ago, 52% said midfield was the area that needed upgrading, 31% said defence.

Nothing has changed in midfield since then.

I think the change to a 4 man defence makes sense but it desperately required changes in midfield to accompany that change.

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
disrespectful.

No but he knows what he's doing sharing Saiss' post.

He's obviously indicating he wasn't treat well by the club but as I understand it he was earning tens of thousands of pounds per week and now left as he won't play.

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
why did you think saiss leaving was strange ?

he was a liability and should of been replaced 2 years ago

Just felt contract wise when we needed the numbers he was a no brainer to renew, however since its apparent he wasn't going to get a game in Bruno's formation.

MutchAdo

Reaction score
To be honest I'm all for that. No player or players should be bigger than the manager.
Pretty sure Man City fans would have rather kept Aguero, Kompany, Silva, De Bruyne rather than Pellegrini. Admittedly it's the exception not the norm but sometimes a manager can kill a club far easier than the players he's managing. Dean Saunders may disagree but y'know...

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No but he knows what he's doing sharing Saiss' post.

He's obviously indicating he wasn't treat well by the club but as I understand it he was earning tens of thousands of pounds per week and now left as he won't play.
Saiss is (not so) clearly ribbing Coady about signing for Liverpool's rivals, hence the smirk emoji

Appreciate it doesn't make for as good a story on here though

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

And yet Saiss his close friend feels he deserved better and Coady shares it either naively or with intent?

wallace

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are evolving into Brunos team so out have gone the old guard, always sad to see players that have brought success and formed a bond with the fans go but it had to happen.
Conor was a huge personality for the club but Lage needs his own dressing room and his own captain so we move on and our playing style has a chance to change. Bruno will have to show he has the ability to push us into a better place as a club than Nuno did, a tall order.

Mel Eves on a bike

Reaction score
We like to read stuff into every situation but this looks like the Adama loan in that the club have done the best for the player after it’s clear they won’t be first choice.

If anything we have appeared to do ourselves harm in favour of the players future. I’d rather he stayed as back up as I’m sure most of us would. In fact I’d just like him to be around supporting the squad but that would have put a nail in the coffin for his chances of the World Cup. I think we’ve done the best by him we possibly could of.

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Saiss is (not so) clearly ribbing Coady about signing for Liverpool's rivals, hence the smirk emoji

Appreciate it doesn't make for as good a story on here though

Not how I read it, will have to consult an emoji expert.

It's all about creating stories on here for me though, I thrive off the attention that's why I'm always posting new threads...

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We are evolving into Brunos team so out have gone the old guard, always sad to see players that have brought success and formed a bond with the fans go but it had to happen.
Conor was a huge personality for the club but Lage needs his own dressing room and his own captain so we move on and our playing style has a chance to change. Bruno will have to show he has the ability to push us into a better place as a club than Nuno did, a tall order.

7th but with more exciting football would do wouldn't it

Back
Top Bottom