Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Would you sell Coady or keep

Coady

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

those were the days

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Selling Coady would be incredibly risky. It would be analogous to Fulham deciding to sell Mitrovic as one up top hasn’t worked for them in their last two Prem seasons. We’d all be smirking at the stupidity of it.

We could quite conceivably play decent stuff over the first 10 games but have few points and goals on the board and be sitting in the relegation zone. In that scenario, Bruno would likely be forced to revert to 3 at the back to sure things up assuming he was still in a job. Do we really want to sell the best player we have at playing in a 3?

There’ll be plenty of games against the stronger teams where we may want to play a back 3 with a deeper defensive line and play on the counter plus there’ll be times when we want to switch from 4-3-3 to 3-4-3 intra-game for tactical reasons and Coady will be key here.

If we’d been playing with 4 at the back successfully for 6 months then I could understand it more but seems hugely risky to sell now particularly with Kilman, Collins, RAN and Jonny having less than 35 EPL starts in a back 4 between them.

I’d say wait until Jan before even contemplating selling even if it means Coady’s value falls a little. That’s purely for tactical reasons setting aside everything Coady brings to Wolves off the pitch and the risk of destabilising the whole dressing room by selling.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I voted sell, and it's for World Cup reasons. In any other year I'd say keep. He's important to the club and I think should have a contract here for as long as he wants. Any normal season I'd say have him in the squad, competing, and TBH I more than trust him even in a four.

But in a world cup year....I want him to go to the tournament. He deserves it. Just on a human level, I want that for him. And if he's on the bench here he misses out.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sell, but most will know I'm firmly in the camp that Coady doesn't make or break this team. Not a fit in a back four at all (too slow, and just generally a liability), and while the ability to have him allows us to more easily hybrid between a back four and a five, if Everton are willing to offer us £20m right now I would absolutely take it. It's a win-win for us and for Everton, as he'd slot in between Tarkowski and Godfrey and probably keep them up. He's not going to be happy sitting on our bench every week when the World Cup is coming up.

Make Neves captain along with a bumper long term contract if nobody is willing to offer our asking price for him (and if it's Man United that want to bid for him in the last week of the window, add £20m to whatever the original asking price was). Villa just replaced Mings with McGinn as captain, it makes no sense having your captain and leader being sat on the bench every week.

That being said, if the question was "Would you loan Coady or keep", it would absolutely be keep. Football is a business, and while I appreciate everything Coady's given to the club as captain, if we aren't going to generate funds to invest in other areas, he should be kept. Having that ability to transition seamlessly between a four and a five is still very valuable if nobody will pay up for him, especially when you're allowed five subs every game.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sounds like it’s happening with Lampard basically confirming the interest & Keen confirming Wolves will let him go.

Norris

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All depends on the price we were offered, £10m no, £30 m yes.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A no brainer. Sell while his stock is high and he doesn't fit the system we are looking to employ. Sentimentality needs to stop if we are to progress. Just look at the mess we created with Traore when we should have cashed in two years ago ffs.

johnnybetchas

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
And if Coady goes and Neves leaves - who'd be the captain them?

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sell, his value isn't going to go up sitting on our bench, which with a back 4 that's where he will be. We also need money to fill more obvious holes within the squad.

Also he deserves a chance at getting in to the England squad for the world Cup, which he won't if he's been on our bench all season!

those were the days

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
A no brainer. Sell while his stock is high and he doesn't fit the system we are looking to employ. Sentimentality needs to stop if we are to progress. Just look at the mess we created with Traore when we should have cashed in two years ago ffs.
Ah, yes, the system that’s been tried, tested and proven in, er, a couple of pre-season games against Alaves and Besiktas. Definitely a no-brainier. No chance at all that system won’t work for us and we’ll need to revert back to 3 at the back before Christmas to sure things up and try and grind out points and clean sheets.

Shall we sell Neves while we’re at it when United bid in the final week of the window?

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Actually, the question to ask is…..would Coady like a move, ( apart from money)?

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Coady decides to go, should an offer come in, his service to us should mean it’s his decision. I don’t get how many idiots are opting for selling, like he’s Roger Johnson or a member of the old bomb squad. So disrespectful to our club captain.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
And if Coady goes and Neves leaves - who'd be the captain them?

This is the gamble. There's still a very real chance United will throw money at us for Neves in the final week of the window. If we sell Coady I'd want a guarantee Neves is staying for the season. On a new contract with the compromise of a release clause that becomes active next summer.

W

WasStefan

I called this when Nuno first went to a back 4. You can’t commit to going back 4 with Coady in your squad. He cannot play in a back 4. But he’s an England international so you aren’t going to keep him on the bench.

Nuno tried to shoehorn him into a 4 and then bottled it by going back to a 5. Now it seems Bruno has made the tough call.

Interesting times, but for me it is the right call and he should be sold. Under no circumstances should it be a loan.

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am the one who voted loan
If Connor wants World Cup football playing every week gives him a chance a loan till January let’s us and him see if the move is permanent or he comes back having missed few games

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If three at the back is a thing of the past I'd ask him what he wants. I know we've been good for him, but he's given us so much, and not standing in his was or selling him against his wishes is the least we could do.

He might turn round and say he wants to fight for good place in a back four.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would keep unless it's a big money bid. I dont think the man has it in him to ever be a negative influence. World cup year...he may want to go and play and I wouldn't begrudge him that.

If he does go though that moves Boly near the first team which scares the **** out of Me.

If we could get anything for Boly I would sell him first I would put him as my last Centre Half pick by a country mile.

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would lean towards sell, for the right price, if we're going to reinvest it into the areas of the squad we need. Not an easy decision, because he brings so much in the dressing room. But give me selling Conor over MGW or Neves all day with the formation we want to go forward with. Not a chance should we be accepting a loan deal, that would be utterly ridiculous and trump the baffling Adama deal. A sale or he stays imo. If we accepted a loan deal, then just no words really.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think I would keep him for this season just for his experience. Collins has only had half a season in the Premier League but looks very promising. Gomes has only had four appearances and Mosquera hasn't played at all in the league. I'd be looking to get Mosquera out on loan. That leaves Kilman and Boly. Kilman is more than fine, but Boly only played 10 league games last season so can he be relied upon this season if needed? I'm not sure.

Coady should stay and fight for his place in the team, and if he misses out on the World Cup so be it.

Metal Wolf89

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even of he goes to the World Cup he would only play the last group game if England are already through....keep him in case of injuries and playing in a back five.

peter&thewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I voted keep, we should be adding to the squad not making it weaker and before anybody say's we can use the money to do so, iv'e got no confidence in that happening anyway

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's 29 so a loan would mean he would devalue when he returns as a 30 year old. Sell for 15 million and use the money on a midfielder.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's 29 so a loan would mean he would devalue when he returns as a 30 year old. Sell for 15 million and use the money on a midfielder.

I think the loan is if we don't get a decent offer for him. Being 30 years old and not playing would decrease it even more

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some of you are willing to let our captain and English International go for 15+m. Wow.

I'd guess his tactical inflexibility is what limits his price, there's a small pool of clubs that will want to sign him.

If we're selling him, it's a buyer's market. Gareth Southgate giving him minutes Vs Andorra means nothing for his value.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ah, yes, the system that’s been tried, tested and proven in, er, a couple of pre-season games against Alaves and Besiktas. Definitely a no-brainier. No chance at all that system won’t work for us and we’ll need to revert back to 3 at the back before Christmas to sure things up and try and grind out points and clean sheets.

Shall we sell Neves while we’re at it when United bid in the final week of the window?

Yeah, better not sell anyone just in case.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
100% sell otherwise we will always fall into habit of a back 5 when the going gets tough.

Time to move on

We need funds from somewhere . That has to be from a player on a bench if possible rather than a first team player!!

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Been great for the club since Nuno, great personality and ambassador but sell for the right price, but no way a loan but have a horrible feeling it will be.

those were the days

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Who would people rather sell to raise funds?

Semedo
Dendoncker
Traore
Podence

The problem we’ve got is we need to sell to buy and no one (currently) is getting close to our valuation on Neves. There’s not much serious interest in most of our other players except for Gibbs-White and Coady. If we sell one of those two to fund, say, Nunes or Ramos, I’d rather it be Gibbs-White. What do people think happens if Collins or Kilman pick up a serious injury after the window closes. Boly looks shot to me and Mosquera looks like he needs a loan so we’d be hugely gambling on Toti Gomes.

Back
Top Bottom