Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Would you accept a stadium rename of 'Fosun molineux' if it paid for a 50,000 stadium?

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would you accept a stadium rename of 'Fosun molineux' if it paid for a 50,000 stadium?

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes. It would always be called Molineux by me, everyone I know and all the fans.

When we play Blues, we go to St. Andrew's. When we play Newcastle, we go to St. James' Park.

Molineux will be Molineux forever, so bringing in money to help the club wouldn't be a problem for me.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anyone who voted yes should be ashamed.

SHAME
Harry Kane said 'we should be beating teams like wolves. 'Are we just going to accept this perception of us as being small fry. Where is your pride?

We used to be the biggest side in Europe. Let's build big and change that perception. This is one of the ways to raise cash. Another way would be to sell players from our academy for huge sums which is harder to do( cough pedro Goncalves)

Guo used to dream crazy of a 60,000 stadium. We can do this and fill it. Kids for a quid or whatever. Perception.

Rubberball

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Remind me which clubs in the Conference play at The Etihad and The Emirates?
That's not really a fair comparison as both of those stadiums are new and the clubs moved from their traditional homes to be stadia.

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Guo used to dream crazy of a 60,000 stadium. We can do this and fill it. Kids for a quid or whatever. Perception.

And let all those fine folk of wolverhampton in who couldn't otherwise afford it, and would make one hell of a noise. And there you have it, a fantastic stadium renowned for its hostile atmosphere

Wall heath Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No. Income aside we don't need a massive stadium, unless of course we want a more sterile, corporate, more expensive, all round quieter (more fans do not equate to more noise/singing in a larger ground) match day experience.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They wouldn’t name it like that because they know it would just get called Molineux.

Re naming only works when the stadium moves or is completely re built; and it would more likely be “the Fosun international stadium”.
And even more likely the objective would be to bring outside money in and it would be called “the manbetx stadium”. So it’s a big no from me.

However, i could except the Steve Bull stand being re built and named by a sponsor.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jeff - molineux mix gives it consent to knock down the john ireland stand and rebuild it , funding it by renaming the stadium. Let's join it up to the south bank and north bank.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's not really a fair comparison as both of those stadiums are new and the clubs moved from their traditional homes to be stadia.
Millwall moved to The New Den. Both City and Arsenal took the opportunity to massively increase income. If we can do it without moving it's a no-brainer for me. Fans moan about an increase in Season Ticket prices and the name of the ground - if we want to compete at a higher level we should embrace the modern world and take the sponsorship income - and still call it Molineux regardless.

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is the slippery slope towards the Select Car leasing Stadium or The Ideal Boilerhouse - No leave it alone.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No. Income aside we don't need a massive stadium, unless of course we want a more sterile, corporate, more expensive, all round quieter (more fans do not equate to more noise/singing in a larger ground) match day experience.
Surely keeping a smaller capacity is more likely to eventually result in those hardcore fans being priced out if they’re focused on increasing revenue as they’ve said?

You could argue that a bigger stadium could be beneficial in giving more people a chance to afford to be able to go.

De Wolfs Mullet

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Those of you against sponsorship of Molineux, were you also against shirt sponsorship when it was first introduced by the Doog in the 70s with Kettering Tyres?

Sometimes you just have to move with the times. I would happily accept sponsorship of the ground if it allowed us to improve the squad and ground. Besides, it would still be Molineux in my eyes and heart.

JimB

Groupie
Reaction score
There’s an element of selling your soul to the highest bidder here, and traditionalists would never agree to changing the name of the ground, but we live in a commercial world now and the dollar is king. If Wolves want to eat at the big table, these kind of sacrifices are inevitable. You can change the football ground name to the Shanghai Arena if you want, it will always be Molineux, and we will always be Wolves. I say crack on Fosun.

Keith maniac

Groupie
Reaction score
Someone said it the other day, you get a bigger ground, you have to make it affordable, or next thing you know it is a real middle class crowd, worrying more about wether you can get a latte than making it an intimidating atmosphere.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Make no mistake, if you drop Molineux from the official name, then, faster than you would ever think possible, the new name will take hold.
I’ve seen it happen out here.
All printed material, …..tickets, game reports, brochures, newspapers, sports commentators, will ONLY use the official name. You will not see the word ‘Molineux’ in printed form again .
Yes the locals will still use Molineux but very quickly younger people will adapt to the new name.

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Could be worse.

"And now we go liiiiive to the ManbetX Megabowl, where Wolverhampton Wolfs take on the Tottenham ENICs in the fifth leg of the 2030 PepsiMAX SuperLeague SemiQuarterFinal you've all been waiting for...!!"

NorthWolf

Reaction score
There’s an element of selling your soul to the highest bidder here, and traditionalists would never agree to changing the name of the ground, but we live in a commercial world now and the dollar is king. If Wolves want to eat at the big table, these kind of sacrifices are inevitable. You can change the football ground name to the Shanghai Arena if you want, it will always be Molineux, and we will always be Wolves. I say crack on Fosun.
What you say is very true. Thirty years ago people would have laughed at you if you said the video game industry would dwarf the film industry but it does now by some considerable margin. Same as e-sports being scoffed at right now, on this we shall have to wait and see.

Sacrifices made today coupled with long term vision will bear fruit in the future. Traditions are nostalgia repeated. Respect for the name Molineux is what really needs to be looked at, so as has been said 'Fosun Molineux' shows that respect coupled with the new reality of sport.

For good or ill this new reality of sport is not about fair play, is not about fair competition, sport is solely about entertainment and selling that entertainment. There is far too much money involved now to let the former rule the latter. It all changed, not as many think when the Premier League began, when Sky came in, but when Stanley Rous underestimated João Havelange, when in effect the game we think of with our innocent nostalgic eyes was replaced with the modern business. It took time, but this 'make money the centre of the game not the sport itself' business model has lead ultimately to why you have little kids walking around in Wolverhampton wearing their brand new Barcelona kits, I ask you would you have had this so regularly thirty years ago? Why Cardiff's colours were changed, why Hull became Tigers, and why Wimbledon became MK Dons.

Well it's not going away, so we might as well embrace it but ensure it is on our terms, ensure the new custodians of our sport know to respect the past, not in token form but in a more loving respect and blend with the new. Perhaps the slap in the face they got over the Super League might just make them realise they have to bend toward us a bit more than they thought they did.

Change the name, but respect the past.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Amazing that 30% have not said yes to this. Strange times we are living in :tearsofjoy:

Wall heath Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely keeping a smaller capacity is more likely to eventually result in those hardcore fans being priced out if they’re focused on increasing revenue as they’ve said?

You could argue that a bigger stadium could be beneficial in giving more people a chance to afford to be able to go.
In an ideal world higher capacity means cheaper tickets, but we know it doesn't work that way, especially with the talk of competing with those around is in the league with regards to current pricing.

With grounds and capacity, as odd as it sounds, you need to keep the demand for tickets higher than capacity and attendance so as to fill any future drop in season ticket holders. I would say an increase to about 40k would suit us,but that's a totally different subject.

Thinking about it, i just want to hold on to some tradition, and Molineux is a major part of ours. To change that name or add to it in any way would be to dilute the tradition and history slightly in my opinion and would be a step on the path to corporate plasticity.

Back
Top Bottom