Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves Players seem More Expressive for their Countries

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't know about you guys but I've watched a load of international games these passed two weeks. Portugal's games more than most for obvious reasons.
Couldn't help notice the last game Portugal v Croatia how well Joao Moutinho played. He played like he was still in his mid 20's not mid 30's for the whole 90 mins.
Nelson Semedo played excellently for them also. With solid defensive play and confidence in attacking situations. Pedro Neto as we know played and scored on his debut after 8 mins against Andorra. What I saw about all these players compared to when they have played for Wolves of late. Is a lot more freedom to express their skills. Leander Dendoncker showed similar expression for Belgium also from the clips of him I saw.
Any other players you saw on International duty showing freedom of expression and why this would be?

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And you could add Jota for Liverpool .
It could well be these guys are playing with more freedom because the defences are more solid .

Last edited:

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They have better players around them and most the opposition they face are not at the same level in terms of quality. Every premier league game is quite evenly matched. Donk must love being involved in that Belgium team.

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I forgot to mention Raul Jimenez also. .
Not that I saw the Mexico games. Yet I saw he carried on expressing his goal scoring talents for them and they weren't just penalties this time either :)

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think the statement is particularly true, apart from maybe semedo

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think the statement is particularly true, apart from maybe semedo
Didn't you see Moutinho on front foot creating chances for Ronaldo and the likes?
Dendoncker got an assist for a Belgium goal. Not with Wolves so far this season or even before?

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't know about you guys but I've watched a load of international games these passed two weeks. Portugal's games more than most for obvious reasons.
Couldn't help notice the last game Portugal v Croatia how well Joao Moutinho played. He played like he was still in his mid 20's not mid 30's for the whole 90 mins.
Nelson Semedo played excellently for them also. With solid defensive play and confidence in attacking situations. Pedro Neto as we know played and scored on his debut after 8 mins against Andorra. What I saw about all these players compared to when they have played for Wolves of late. Is a lot more freedom to express their skills. Leander Dendoncker showed similar expression for Belgium also from the clips of him I saw.
Any other players you saw on International duty showing freedom of expression and why this would be?
I was particularly impressed by Moutinho and Semedo. Moutinho was a lot more attacking and had one heck of a shot which in most other games would have gone it. Some of the crosses Semedo was playing were incredible too.

I think the problem with this however is that allowing players freedom only works if you have a balance in the team of players who don't. I think our midfielders should be allowed that and go forward to create, but what does that do to our defence?

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn't you see Moutinho on front foot creating chances for Ronaldo and the likes?
Dendoncker got an assist for a Belgium goal. Not with Wolves so far this season or even before?

No I didn't, but I've watched alot of Portugal and he normally plays his usual possession based game when he starts, with a few scuffs from 25 yards out.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know it was a very long time ago and we've hit a huge trough since then... but I can still vaguely remember the game against Palace. Dendoncker could have had a hat trick, Semedo tried his luck from 30 yards and almost scored, Neto was superb popping up everywhere...

Could just be me, but I have a sneaky suspicion that when we play sides that aren't quite as good as say, Leicester, that the players get into the game more and are able to express themselves more

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know it was a very long time ago and we've hit a huge trough since then... but I can still vaguely remember the game against Palace. Dendoncker could have had a hat trick, Semedo tried his luck from 30 yards and almost scored, Neto was superb popping up everywhere...

Could just be me, but I have a sneaky suspicion that when we play sides that aren't quite as good as say, Leicester, that the players get into the game more and are able to express themselves more
As you quite rightly point out the palace game was a long time ago and our season has nose dived spectacularly since then BUT I do remember one occasion in the Leicester game when Dendoncker got in the box and missed a good a chance. Great ball by Neves iirc....

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

@Fenrir_ I think you're near the mark their. Wolves players hold back more against so call top 6 PL clubs, excepting Man City maybe..
As they showed great expression start of the season playing Sheff Utd with no fear and expressed themselves within minutes with Podence and Raul especially looking deadly. As you say with Palace our players were all more expressive that game too.

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You've got to be some sort of grumpy football fan and boring person, to think anything is boring and gloomy about our Wolves players playing well for their countries?
Unlike our skipper Conor who has absolutely loved and embraced his opportunity in fairly recent times. He is maybe the only exception to our other international players of late that always shows the same exact passion and attitude for both Club & Country, It's just a shame he was unlucky this last International break with his contact with a Covid 19 infected person.

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Is the answer you’re looking for ‘because wolves aren’t as good as I want them to be all of the time’

Back
Top Bottom