Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves Brand Value

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just had a quick read of the report now. Comparing to last year's, it states our Brand Value has dropped from €242m down 42.6% to around €138.9m - the most of any club % wise as shown above.

Our ranking has also gone from 19th place to 31st, putting our brand value lower than clubs such as Crystal Palace, Newcastle, West Ham and Aston Villa, with clubs like Southampton, Burnley, Watford, Leeds and Brighton all not too far off us.

On the positive side, we're still considered to have a better brand value over the likes of Napoli, Valencia, Roma, Benfica, Athletic Bilbao, Villarreal, Marseille and Lazio

Last edited:

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No idea what this means in terms I might understand but doesn’t seem to be a platform from which Fosun will launch a major rebuilding of the team during the transfer window.

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I won't pretend I understand it, and whilst we've dropped on the brand value side which potentially is closest aligned to on field performance Inc. prize money and matchday revenue), on two other metrics, we've actually grown (Brand Strength up 4 places to 25th and Enterprise Value (which I think factors in finance, brand strength and everything else including supporter feedback) up 2 places to 17th.

So the club may argue things are going in the right direction off the pitch but the on field stuff is holding the main metric back.

Now as I said, I don't claim to understand it, so I could be wrong, but that's my take/interpretation

It might be this chart that might be most interesting to supporters especially with ST renewal time. This looks at Matchday revenue per seat (on the vertical axis) and venue performance on a whole heap of things such as location, matchday experience etc on the horizontal axis

We perform pretty badly and whilst matchday revenue will be a small portion of revenue... surely Fosun will be looking to grow this

There are many premier league clubs above us on a revenue per seat basis (and excluding the London prices) equivalent sized or lesser clubs are above us - Swansea, Leicester, Brighton, Villa etc (even WBA are slightly ahead)
grounds chart.JPG

Last edited:

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interestingly also, Brand Finance's football fan market research conducted in March 2020 saw us have the second highest percentage of fans that agree with the statement: "the owners really care about the club"

Screenshot_20210518-172519~2.jpg
I do think we have been very lucky with regards to having Fosun as our owners, but surprised to see us rank higher than the likes of Leicester for example when this study was undertaken

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

Nuno’s boring football has adversely affected our brand value I suppose?

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why would it stop them launching a rebuild?
Many Companies put Brand Values on their balance sheet (no idea if Wolves and/or Fosun do). Businesses (some) seem to think that people buy brands not products (although football is not like selling baked beans clearly). Depends if Fosun think this is important at a time when their profits have reduced from £1.69bn to £890M last financial year.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Many Companies put Brand Values on their balance sheet (no idea if Wolves and/or Fosun do). Businesses (some) seem to think that people buy brands not products (although football is not like selling baked beans clearly). Depends if Fosun think this is important at a time when their profits have reduced from £1.69bn to £890M last financial year.
Intangibles often form a significant part of the balance sheet.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This surely is the core of the decision to buy Wolves .It was all about building a brand and we have gone from the blue eyed wonder boys taking on Europe to boring struggling wannabe kids flirting with relegation .
The drop in value of £110 million shows what poor decision were made in the last 18 months.
That’s why this summer is so important. Will Fosun accept this drift.
Appoint Lopetegui and make a net investment in players of £50 million doesn’t look so stupid from a boardroom in Shanghai , seeing £110 million eroded .

KildareWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
This surely is the core of the decision to buy Wolves .It was all about building a brand and we have gone from the blue eyed wonder boys taking on Europe to boring struggling wannabe kids flirting with relegation .
The drop in value of £110 million shows what poor decision were made in the last 18 months.
That’s why this summer is so important. Will Fosun accept this drift.
Appoint Lopetegui and make a net investment in players of £50 million doesn’t look so stupid from a boardroom in Shanghai , seeing £110 million eroded .
Why would lopetegui leave Seville for us??

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why would lopetegui leave Seville for us ?
You are missing the point - it’s an example .
Why did Nuno join Wolves in The Championship and see Wolves value almost increase ten fold ? Because Fosun and Mendes wanted it .and made it happen

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How will this loss in brand value affect FFP? Is this all of our summer transfer budget gone?

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Im sorry but how has our "brand" gone below Crystal Palace in the past year? We've been out of europe for one season but ive got no idea how Palace brand has risen this last year? Palace have made no marquee signings that would boost a brand, no new sponsor, no new investment abroad or anything???
Lazio drop below Werder Bremen in terms of its brand strength? despite them playing CL and Bremen on brink of relegation? And im also certain that the brand of Lazio is much more globally renowned than that of Bremen no matter what is going on the pitch.

Also Brighton's dropped below Watford despite them being in the championship in the past year?

Theres such a strange ranking of clubs in these lists some of which I just cannot believe. Can someone who knows what this all means explain it more as i am close to writing it off as nonsense.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How will this loss in brand value affect FFP? Is this all of our summer transfer budget gone?
Not directly in the slightest. Indirectly might reduce advertising revenue, sponsorship income etc.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Im sorry but how has our "brand" gone below Crystal Palace in the past year? We've been out of europe for one season but ive got no idea how Palace brand has risen this last year? Palace have made no marquee signings that would boost a brand, no new sponsor, no new investment abroad or anything???
Lazio drop below Werder Bremen in terms of its brand strength? despite them playing CL and Bremen on brink of relegation? And im also certain that the brand of Lazio is much more globally renowned than that of Bremen no matter what is going on the pitch.

Also Brighton's dropped below Watford despite them being in the championship in the past year?

Theres such a strange ranking of clubs in these lists some of which I just cannot believe. Can someone who knows what this all means explain it more as i am close to writing it off as nonsense.
I think the attractiveness of our product has been hit by lack of entertainment and negative reporting.

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think the attractiveness of our product has been hit by lack of entertainment and negative reporting.
Thats nonsense. The example i used above of Palace, they play even more lifeless football than we do?
The brand exposure due to Jimenez in Mexico, Aeroset in Argentina, Portuguese contingent, China superstores and Fosun influence would be way higher than Palace 'brand'. Palace whose squad is made of ageing english and nobodys. No footprint in any foreign country that i know of, small club in their own city, nothing really marketable about them? I just dont see that no matter how poor our form this season our brand drops below.
Add that to the other seemingly random assortment of clubs.

I think most punters would get the top 10 right without any research and would do a better job of listing the others. And they wouldnt have had to be paid to put it in a shiny pdf booklet :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we've lost capital value surely that would show as a loss?
But I don’t think this type of loss is included in FFP . In effect it’s the external value of the company. It is goodwill .

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But I don’t think this type of loss is included in FFP . In effect it’s the external value of the company. It is goodwill .
I know, Im just being a dick.

I'll be on my way now

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thats nonsense. The example i used above of Palace, they play even more lifeless football than we do?
The brand exposure due to Jimenez in Mexico, Aeroset in Argentina, Portuguese contingent, China superstores and Fosun influence would be way higher than Palace 'brand'. Palace whose squad is made of ageing english and nobodys. No footprint in any foreign country that i know of, small club in their own city, nothing really marketable about them? I just dont see that no matter how poor our form this season our brand drops below.
Add that to the other seemingly random assortment of clubs.

I think most punters would get the top 10 right without any research and would do a better job of listing the others. And they wouldnt have had to be paid to put it in a shiny pdf booklet :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:
We are also returning to our pre European football level. And of course China is not so in love with English football and Jimenez is injured. In the end it’s just me quessing but our appalling season will have a relative effect. It has had an effect .

Scott.Cooper

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This was celebrated last year. Guess it’s likely something to do with being in Europe vs not being in Europe!

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
its all pie in the sky and doesn't matter a jot. unless some want to read more into it than there is of course, as Sir Tom would say, " its not unusual " :cool:

KildareWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
You are missing the point - it’s an example .
Why did Nuno join Wolves in The Championship and see Wolves value almost increase ten fold ? Because Fosun and Mendes wanted it .and made it happen
My bad I thought you were calling for it this summer

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'm sure Fosun will treat the value of the Wolves brand very seriously. They've stated they want us to become a global sports brand beyond football.

If you get your branding right then it can be hugely beneficial commercially. Just ask Apple why they can charge daft money for their accessories.

But I wouldn't pay too much attention to this study. This kind of thing is done to get publicity for the business who put them together, so its in their interests to make sure there's plenty of changes year on year to maintain interest.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My bad I thought you were calling for it this summer
No way. But if you we’re Fosun and you dropped from 19 to 31 in the brand value league you would not sit on your hands . Even you had stepped off the gas.

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think if they gave away free tickets for the Utd game the positive PR would mean our brand would be stronger than Real Madrids :tonguewink:

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm sure Fosun will treat the value of the Wolves brand very seriously. They've stated they want us to become a global sports brand beyond football.

If you get your branding right then it can be hugely beneficial commercially. Just ask Apple why they can charge daft money for their accessories.

But I wouldn't pay too much attention to this study. This kind of thing is done to get publicity for the business who put them together, so its in their interests to make sure there's plenty of changes year on year to maintain interest.
Much of that is correct but look at the table , say the top ten, and you can make a case for it being fair . And the English clubs seem right. I don’t know much about the European teams below 20 .
And it’s been going for years , they would not want to be seen as empty of validity.

Last edited:

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
its all pie in the sky and doesn't matter a jot. unless some want to read more into it than there is of course, as Sir Tom would say, " its not unusual " :cool:
Or unless you see your company as an investment that you want to sell someday ? But it may be Fosun employees just like watching football .

Last edited:

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
2020 -Wolves are hot- 7th twice, looked like we were going to be knocking on the door of top six and becoming a ‘European team‘ in 2021
2021 Wolves are dull , 45 points and looking like we are a bottom half team , with next year being very uncertain.
Expectations are valued in brand worth as well as past achievements.

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Or unless you see your company as an investment that you want to sell someday ?
or looking at it from a different angle, fosum doesn't lose on their investments so its all up up for the Wolves, As they said they are here long term, So its all pie in the sky and doesn't matter a jot. is that Sir Tom clearing his voice, :cool:

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
or looking at it from a different angle, fosum doesn't lose on their investments so its all up up for the Wolves, As they said they are here long term, So its all pie in the sky and doesn't matter a jot. is that Sir Tom clearing his voice, :cool:
Fosun would never think like that . It is as you say a short term failure but indicative of weakness, that need addressing.

Last edited:

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn't presume to know what Fosun think. It's only really relevant if they are looking to sell though.
It’s not a presumption to think a company is happy to lose half its value . It’s conventional wisdom.

Back
Top Bottom