Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves 4 Leicester 3 (2003)

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did you know -

That's the last time in the PL a side has come back from 3 goals down to win a game.

In fact, it's only happened 3 other times since the league began in 1992.

What memories do people have from that day?

One of mine is some guy smashing the HT game and the South Bank singing 'sign him up'

nomadwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I was cruising bars in Phnom Penh (no live soccer, just Sky Sports video-printer doing score updates) with a Leics supporting mate.

Each time went to a different bar, we had scored.

We had a $50 bet, and he also had the draw. At half-time I said only fair I had the draw, or draw voided bet. He said no.

What made the win more enjoyable, was I got my $50 winnings in an envelope the next day, shoved under my hotel door and he left the country. No words said, and none needed...apart the odd anniversary mention over last 17 years.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember the north bank emptying at HT :)
I was in the NB that day and l, together with all of the ST regulars around me, saw all 4 Wolves goals....

Edited to add: Duh, "emptying at HT".... Just like all other 3 stands - doesn't mean people weren't back for the second half does it Netherton, you WUM you, lol.....

Edited to further add: Hook, line and sinker....

Last edited:

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Did you know -

That's the last time in the PL a side has come back from 3 goals down to win a game.

In fact, it's only happened 3 other times since the league began in 1992.

What memories do people have from that day?

One of mine is some guy smashing the HT game and the South Bank singing 'sign him up'
I was living in Leicester at the and gave one of my Leicester supporting workmates a lift to the game. I was sitting in the Steve Bull upper right next to the away fans and we were looking at each other occasionally in the first half and he was waving to me at halftime laughing with some of his Leicester supporting mates. He wouldn't make any eye contact with me second half and was very quiet on the journey home. As soon as our second went in I knew we'd be at least getting a point in that game. Le Rat Henri Camara was excellent second half. The swing of emotions from half-time to full-time only football can produce.

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was in Alvor in Portugal with the wife and son. We went for a walk round town and popped into a bar where Sky Sports News was updating scores. We bought a drink and the TV announced we were 3 down and not even half time. Some Leicester fans were sitting across the bar laughing and joking. “Drink up”, I said, and we left, went for a meal, carried on our walk and got back to the apartment about 18.00. Couldn’t believe it when I heard the score on the news :D

Joop

Groupie
Reaction score
24th October, my brothers birthday. I had bought him (and myself) a ticket as his present. If I remember rightly, kachloul came on before half time and changed the game. At half time, the bookies kiosk had ‘wolves to win 100/1’ on the chalkboard. If it wasn’t so crowded (Steve bull stand) I’d have put a few quid on. When we got the first goal back and that cheesy goal music was played, the Leicester fans joined in too, singing and dancing. They didn’t join in after the other goals though.

quirky_birky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The only home game I missed that season as I was on holiday. Was getting text alerts from my family at the game, but switched my phone off at half time as it was getting depressing and wanted some kip.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was in the BWU and as the missus toddled off to the loo at HT I actually said to her, 'Don't worry, love, we'll win this 4-3' and I winked at her. I never thought for a second this would happen, I thought it more likely we'd lose by 6 or 7. When Rae's equaliser went in, though, I thought it was on.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As a matter of fact I think that game is the only one the club's history when they've come back from being 3 goals down to win. I remember looking this up at the time. There are a few where we have come back to draw after being 3 down, and others where we have come back from 1-3 down to win 4-3. But never before had we won after being 3 clear goals down.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As a matter of fact I think that game is the only one the club's history when they've come back from being 3 goals down to win. I remember looking this up at the time. There are a few where we have come back to draw after being 3 down, and others where we have come back from 1-3 down to win 4-3. But never before had we won after being 3 clear goals down.

I remember attending a home v Oxford United in the 1990/91 in March of that season and Bully scored a hat trick and I am positive that either Wolves were 3 up or 3 down in that game !

Blackpool Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
In London for weekend - staying at Hilton Metropole - remember being on street just outside when checked phone to see winner had gone in.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember attending a home v Oxford United in the 1990/91 in March of that season and Bully scored a hat trick and I am positive that either Wolves were 3 up or 3 down in that game !
We had lost the previous game 5-0 at home vs Barnsley (and ironically not playing that badly as we hit the woodwork three times).

Against Oxford we were 3-0 up within about the first thirteen minutes with a Bull hat-trick and then we drew 3-3.

It actually felt worse than the 5-0 the week before.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We had lost the previous game 5-0 at home vs Barnsley (and ironically not playing that badly as we hit the woodwork three times).

Against Oxford we were 3-0 up within about the first thirteen minutes with a Bull hat-trick and then we drew 3-3.

Thanks Axle. I had a feeling we were the one's who were 3-0 up and like you I was at both games. The Barnsley game was possibly the closest I have ever come to leaving at half time and returning to the pub !

Wall heath Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I worked in a pub at the time, saturday nights being one of my shifts, starting at 5pm.At half time i decided to take a slow walk to work and give the Albion supporting chef enough time to take the **** before i started.

I got to the pub and decided to face the music and walk in through the kitchen to be greeted by the aforementioned 12 fingered heater of food with 'you lucky *******s'.

I thoroughly enjoyed that evening, and as it was one of the shifts i was in charge for a few of us had a few after hours beers.

Ches78

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I remember the weather being a bit crap, looking up at half time and seeing the sun come out - a sign of things to come...

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember it well. Had I not been in the Goal Post car park with no way to get out I would have seriously considered leaving at HT. Just goes to show that anything can happen in football.

D

Deleted member 7862Bler

I remember this well. Andy Mutch wrote a column in the Sports Argus newspapers. The week after we lost 5-0 he wrote a column that said there was no way for a team to come back after being 3-0 down (about the Oxford game). How ironic to be reading that the next Saturday evening after getting home from a game being 3-0 up and throwing it away.

D

Deleted member 7862Bler

I remember spurs had beaten Leicester in the 93rd minute the week before and so had every confidence we could pull this off after getting back to 3-3.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It did exist ...

I would like to say sorry to all you " vets " who were around on The Mix in the " early " part of this century ! I only arrived in about 2013 and thought it had only been going since 2005. Nothing worse than some band wagon jumper who thinks history started when they became a follower !

Keyser Soze

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not my own moment of fame but my old man has revelled in the story of him getting stuck in traffic on the way to the game, only to arrive at the ground at HT as we were 0-3 down. Decided he may as well go in anyway as he'd come all that way (from Hampshire)

He's been taking credit for the come back for the last 17 years!

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
The mix is quite mild compared to then I remember when Dave Jones was appointed and the stuff that Albion fans wrote about him luckily that wouldn’t happen now
There was a long argument about Henry camara getting poty and people taking Senegal flags to the last game to pursuade him to stay
The Jones out campaign by Peckham Wolf and Essex Wolf too
The famous where’s the money gone by Essex Wolf too

Ewok vs Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was at my friend's house. Had so much stick from him a Coventry fan
I sulked home at half time
Couldn't believe the score when I got home

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was listening to it on 107.7 the Wolf. Fractured my little toe running into the door frame when we equalised.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The home game I have enjoyed the next most after beating Leicester 4-3 in 2003 was beating Leicester 4-3 in 2019.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was in Glasgow working at a big sports event, and we had some down time back at the hotel. I knew it was 3-0, but got back to my room for my brother to text me the final score. I couldn't believe it.

LythamWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I was in the SBU and quite a few around me didn’t return for the second half. I was sat there, absolutely gutted and wondered if if I should cut my losses and head home early but I was living in Leeds at the time and I thought to myself I had made a 4 hour round trip so I should just make the most of it.

I’ve not even considered leaving a game before the final whistle ever since.

D

Deleted member 4099

I left at halftime it was my grandads funeral the day before I was shattered I remember pulling up at home just as we scored the winner on the radio still gutted about to this day.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was in the SBU and quite a few around me didn’t return for the second half. I was sat there, absolutely gutted and wondered if if I should cut my losses and head home early but I was living in Leeds at the time and I thought to myself I had made a 4 hour round trip so I should just make the most of it.

I’ve not even considered leaving a game before the final whistle ever since.
In well over 60 years of attending games I have never once left early. Ever hopeful, even if it's 0-5 with a few minutes left!

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In well over 60 years of attending games I have never once left early. Ever hopeful, even if it's 0-5 with a few minutes left!

My mate and I were faced with a 3 hour drive back to the South West following the infamous 0-5 Burnley game but like the black night in Monty Python's The Holy Grail we refused to give up !

I remember being 0-2 down to Sheffield United on a freezing cold January 2nd 1995 with the game 3 minutes into injury. Wolves came back to draw 2-2 so my policy of " I have paid for 90 minutes plus injury time so I will get every second in " paid off that day !

bully9

Reaction score
Thanks Axle. I had a feeling we were the one's who were 3-0 up and like you I was at both games. The Barnsley game was possibly the closest I have ever come to leaving at half time and returning to the pub !
was that the paul blades own goal , looked like he placed ii in from about 30 yards . or was that another game

Burford T Justice

Reaction score
I can only imagine if Molineux Mix had of been around in 2003/04 what a Wolves v Leicester Match Day Comms thread would have read like !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The E&S site was a lot of fun with Ulven and LIQ constantly at it. I watched the game on teletext round a villa fans house convinced we would still win at half time and Camara would score.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember being 0-2 down to Sheffield United on a freezing cold January 2nd 1995 with the game 3 minutes into injury. Wolves came back to draw 2-2 so my policy of " I have paid for 90 minutes plus injury time so I will get every second in " paid off that day !
That was the first game I saw at the molineux. It might have influenced me staying until the end.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember being the only person in my vicinity who stood up and celebrated when De Wolf scored the penalty to make it 1-2, everyone around me stayed seated.

I knew...!!

(I didn't, I was still pretty new to going to games back then and was having my celebration!)

Last edited:

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
was that the paul blades own goal , looked like he placed ii in from about 30 yards . or was that another game

I certainly remember the Paul Blades own goal from the Barnsley game !

Back
Top Bottom